What do you think would happen if...

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Saltire said:

Sorry if I missed something but if funds are tight why even consider an agent when a new 1 year extension is only 1900 Baht?

Haha ha,  400k in bank sound familiar to you? I'm nearly 64, at 67 I can claim my pension. I had an income sufficient to meet needs but that abruptly ended 3 years ago due to legislative & regulation changes

11 minutes ago, EvetsKram said:

Try it yourself & see what happens.  Younger non natives get employed with terrible English,  I don't get a look in 

I can assure you that many teaching agencies will employ you (in spite of your age) if you turn up in a nice suit and clean shirt. You will have a problem if your grooming is reminiscent of many university lecturers in the West.

1 hour ago, EvetsKram said:

Sorry but I've said a few times I would love to work but keep getting told too old,  I'm 63

I have a friend who is 74 and still enjoys his work...

I'm sorry for your situation, it must be tough, but it sounds as if you have given up... 

I hope you can find your way out of it.. no pension? nothing? 

2 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I have a friend who is 74 and still enjoys his work...

I'm sorry for your situation, it must be tough, but it sounds as if you have given up... 

I hope you can find your way out of it.. no pension? nothing? 

3.5 years till pension

9 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

What would happen if you tell the Immigration that you can't afford to stay here?

You'd be here illegally. 

I hope that you're not a troll.

There's no country in the world where you'd have to pay 130,000 baht for a one-way ticket.
Even with 63, it's possible to find a job.

I don't understand your rot in jail?

Detention is for the time until they know who will pay for your flight, not a death sentence.

Get your ar_e up and look for a job, or try to make enough money and fly back where you came from. 

There's no other way. Best of luck! 

I've looked for a job for quite a while now but constantly told I'm too old.  Tickets to anywhere are expensive now,  I used to get return ticket for 10k, now cheapest one way is 24k, add quarantine costs,  onward  ticket to home it's 130k

14 minutes ago, EvetsKram said:

I've looked for a job for quite a while now but constantly told I'm too old.  Tickets to anywhere are expensive now,  I used to get return ticket for 10k, now cheapest one way is 24k, add quarantine costs,  onward  ticket to home it's 130k

I get it. You gave up looking for a job. I can tell you that you will find a job when you're looking around.

Considering the COVID situation, nobody, or not many people, can come in, which opens a few more doors for you.

There's one thing I've learned in my life, and that's to stand up again when you fell. I understand that you want to work in your area, but believe me, it can be nice to work in another province and make new friends, experience a different Thailand and you might find something that changes your life in a very positive way.

Stop whining about your situation; you're the only one who can change it.

I had a similar issue and all of a sudden two households to pay for, so I know what I'm talking about.

We get too used to a particular place, but there are so many lovely places. If I were alone, I'd look for a job near a nice beach.

You don't have to pay for quarantine when you're going back to your country. No matter where you're from.

Am I missing something here? 

27 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

You don't have to pay for quarantine when you're going back to your country. No matter where you're from.

That actually is not true. A few countries both enforce quarantine and make you pay for it.

10 hours ago, EvetsKram said:

Not on overstay, it's due in a few months.  I'd love to work but I am constantly told I'm too old at 63. I have a degree in health & years teaching at tertiary level.  Too young for a pension & refuse to die in a prison

If you would consider teaching I think you could find a job teaching English.  With a degree and teaching experience you have a fair chance.  Schools will not be beating a path to your door, you would have to do some searching.  But considering the bleak outlook you describe, it is an option you might consider.

30 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

I meant the country where the OP was born and holds a passport from. If he can't pay, they can hardly refuse to let him in, could they? 

Choosing your quarantine package

For travellers arriving directly into England

If you are arriving into England and have visited or passed through a country on the list from which travel to the UK is banned, (sometimes called the ‘red list’) in the 10 days prior to your arrival then you are required by law to book a 10 day (11 night) managed quarantine package which includes your hotel stay, food and beverages, transfers, security and 2 Covid-19 tests. This is called the Managed Quarantine Package.

You wouldn't be able to board without proof of booking and paying for your quarantine hotel.
£1,750.

45 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:
You wouldn't be able to board without proof of booking and paying for your quarantine hotel.
£1,750.

If he's from the UK he'd also need money to live on once out of quarantine.

As I understand it, if a UK citizen has been out of the UK for more than a year then you have to wait 6 months before receiving unemployment benefits. Even then, possibly proof of seeking work during that 6 months may be required. Can anyone confirm this?

8 minutes ago, bobandyson said:

If he's from the UK he'd also need money to live on once out of quarantine.

As I understand it, if a UK citizen has been out of the UK for more than a year then you have to wait 6 months before receiving unemployment benefits. Even then, possibly proof of seeking work during that 6 months may be required. Can anyone confirm this?

My reply was to @teacherclairein relation to nationals being charged for quarantine when returning to their home Country (which depends where your returning from or transiting through).

I believe the OP is probably from Australia.

7 hours ago, EvetsKram said:

I'm nearly 64, at 67 I can claim my pension. 

Not from Thailand you can't, nor will it be portable until you spend 2 years back in Oz (if you are in fact Australian as people are saying?).

7 hours ago, EvetsKram said:

Sorry but I've said a few times I would love to work but keep getting told too old,  I'm 63

I've already told you that I'm 62 and earn a decent income each month from online teaching - working for myself..... You can do this too if you really want to.

10 hours ago, EvetsKram said:

Haha ha,  400k in bank sound familiar to you? I'm nearly 64, at 67 I can claim my pension. I had an income sufficient to meet needs but that abruptly ended 3 years ago due to legislative & regulation changes

That all sounds like you'd best get back to Oz quick smart then; if you want to get your aged pension and be allowed portability. You got two choices; be there for two years before your eligible or stay there for two years once you get it. Portability doesn't come free if you've been living overseas...... Seriously bloke; clueless comes to mind, on so many fronts

https://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/7/1/4

Consider taking advantage of this........COVID-19: Overseas financial assistance

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/COVID-19/COVID-19-overseas-financial-assistance

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If your wife is Thai you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit her without money in the bank.

And at this time there are 60 day covid 19 extensions you can apply for.

Who told you that you are to old to teach. There is no official age limit if you find a school that will hire you.

Hi Joe,  I know that schools can easily apply for an age exemption but I can't get a look in because of my age.  Between a rock & a hard place now

I think your biggest problem is yourself. 
Many on this thread have offered solutions (especially simon43 who is of similar age and teaches online) but your standard excuse is you are “too old”. 
I don’t have too much sympathy for people who are not even willing to explore solutions for themselves. What are you expecting? For someone to offer a solution that doesn’t involve you having to get off your self-pity backside? For a knight in shining armor to come on here and say “here’s your solution and it doesn’t require you to do a single thing?”

The solutions have been presented to you. I think the least you can do is to get more information and explore them. 

On 2/13/2021 at 1:40 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Don't go to immigration if you don't have the money!

I remember a guy who bough already his ticket back home (a few years ago). His visa expired about a week before his flight home. So he though he will go to immigration and sort this out.

The immigration kept him in a cell and gave him a ride to the airport...

Thai Immigration. Your First Friend. Oops, no, that's the Tourist Police. 

Archived