What do you think would happen if...

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/13/2021 at 10:49 PM, EvetsKram said:

3.5 years till pension

....until state pension, presumably. As you previously worked as a teacher surely you have some pension from that, isn't there an option to start drawing it early but at a reduced rate?

3 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

Depends on what you call a state pension. 

A basic pension paid to everyone by the government.

much higher ones, for paper shufflers, bureaucrats, teachers and state employees. 

Those are employee pensions, separate from basic state pensions.

Thailand itself has this kind of dual system. Not long ago, people who actually worked got a state pension of 500 baht per month,  teachers easily 30000 up.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

On 2/14/2021 at 9:25 PM, UncleMhee said:

In the first instance perhaps..... The Oz Government have got plenty of form for just taking tax returns until debts are recovered and blocking you from leaving the country until the debt is cleared.

You're right, but so many quarantine bills have simply been waived. 

22 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

....until state pension, presumably. As you previously worked as a teacher surely you have some pension from that, isn't there an option to start drawing it early but at a reduced rate?

Good point. I suppose it is just possible he doesn't have an occupational pension, perhaps Evertskram could confirm this?  

I took early retirement at 55 and came to Thailand  shortly afterwards. Money was tight at first, had many setbacks (global financial crisis, thai wife's debts, a baby, then Brexit) but lasted until State pension kicked in. But i did at least have a plan and didn't squander all my savings on a woman and then look for help when it was too late - I just cut back on the luxury's of life and budgeted.

On 2/13/2021 at 12:31 PM, EvetsKram said:

Hi all,  I'm trying to think what would happen if I went to my local immigration office & said I could not afford to extend for another year.  I can't even afford an agent (16000),  returning to where I came from is about 130000 baht so that's out of the question. My dear wife asked recently what I will do if I don't have the money,  I guess I know what she wants.  All responses welcome,  I really need input here

You have a degree so you could get a job teaching English. 

Do you know any English teachers.?

What part of Thailand do you live in.?

I had not read most of the preceding pages before I posted and apparently he has tried and failed to get a teaching job. But I know several older than 63 getting work teaching. Possibly depends on the location. 

On 2/13/2021 at 1:08 PM, rumak said:

it would also be helpful to know your age.    

i hope you can understand that most here will have little sympathy for guys that fell in love to a

Thai lady,  then moved here without enough finances to live ( and yes,  medical costs can take big chunks)

Try to get back to your home country ......... beg and borrow...... 

because your situation here sounds hopeless.  (sorry,  that is my opinion)

Yes that is the hard reality of it. 

If you cannot afford to be here you cannot be here, it's that simple. 

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

Good point. I suppose it is just possible he doesn't have an occupational pension, perhaps Evertskram could confirm this?  

I took early retirement at 55 and came to Thailand  shortly afterwards. Money was tight at first, had many setbacks (global financial crisis, thai wife's debts, a baby, then Brexit) but lasted until State pension kicked in. But i did at least have a plan and didn't squander all my savings on a woman and then look for help when it was too late - I just cut back on the luxury's of life and budgeted.

Pretty similar story to mine really (except for the debts and baby!), I managed to get out a few months before my 55th, held off drawing my company pension for a few years but had it to fall back on when Covid pretty much stopped my wife's business.  Still a few years before my state pension kicks in. We still have a great life out here in the sticks.

On 2/13/2021 at 12:57 PM, EvetsKram said:

Not on overstay, it's due in a few months.  I'd love to work but I am constantly told I'm too old at 63. I have a degree in health & years teaching at tertiary level.  Too young for a pension & refuse to die in a prison

Immigration can only tell you about and apply the rules. They would probably tell you that if you can't prove the financial requirements then an extension would be denied. And you'd have 7 days to leave the country.

If wife and or her family; or your family and or friends can't or won't help with a loan, then you're screwed.

Reads like wifey has lost interest now the money's all gone and happy for you to go. Sorry if that's the case. But money is all important here. 

Archived