What do you think would happen if...

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

I've already told you that I'm 62 and earn a decent income each month from online teaching - working for myself..... You can do this too if you really want to.

So many schools can't get teachers right now because of COVID.

Online teaching would be another opportunity. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

My reply was to @teacherclairein relation to nationals being charged for quarantine when returning to their home Country (which depends where your returning from or transiting through).

I believe the OP is probably from Australia.

Even if you have a negative COVID test result that's not older than a few days?

14 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

I meant the country where the OP was born and holds a passport from. If he can't pay, they can hardly refuse to let him in, could they? 

I heard that it is £1750 for 10 days quarantine hotel if you come from a RED country. What's Thailand? 

And nothing was said about if you do not have the dosh.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Where has he written he is from Australia?

He hasn't, but having to quarantine in ASQ returning to your home Country and being 67 to claim State Pension points to Australia.

UK state pension age is currently 66 and they've only just started ASQ from 15/2 for those returning from or travelling through 'red' listed Countries.

48 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

I think your biggest problem is yourself. 
Many on this thread have offered solutions (especially simon43 who is of similar age and teaches online) but your standard excuse is you are “too old”. 
I don’t have too much sympathy for people who are not even willing to explore solutions for themselves. What are you expecting? For someone to offer a solution that doesn’t involve you having to get off your self-pity backside? For a knight in shining armor to come on here and say “here’s your solution and it doesn’t require you to do a single thing?”

The solutions have been presented to you. I think the least you can do is to get more information and explore them. 

where to teach online .... 

links in stead of empty words

10 minutes ago, Mike Rodik said:

Firstly, it’s not my suggestion. Secondly, I don’t think it’s anyones responsibility other than the person asking for the help to do the legwork. 
Google is his friend. And if he can’t find it by going online then I’ll suggest that working online might not be his best bet. 

Ok here's what you do.

You snap out of your malaise and get  plan.

You have to finance yourself for 3.5 years. 

Just an agent who will provide the finance to imm at a cost and sell stuff to raise fee or borrow from friends in Thailand.

Tell your wife in 3.5 years you will support he again but now you need to aggressively reduce all costs and survive meantime. If she will not help and depending on your situation as a couple and living arrangements, ditch her to look after yourself.

Get a teaching job irrespective of what you've been told. Get out there and find one!

You have a goal......to last for 3.5 years until your state pension.

Otherwise a goal to last until vivid restrictions end and cost to return to home country is manageable to find.

Draw up a plan!

18 minutes ago, twix38 said:

Ok here's what you do.

You snap out of your malaise and get  plan.

You have to finance yourself for 3.5 years. 

Just an agent who will provide the finance to imm at a cost and sell stuff to raise fee or borrow from friends in Thailand.

Tell your wife in 3.5 years you will support he again but now you need to aggressively reduce all costs and survive meantime. If she will not help and depending on your situation as a couple and living arrangements, ditch her to look after yourself.

Get a teaching job irrespective of what you've been told. Get out there and find one!

You have a goal......to last for 3.5 years until your state pension.

Otherwise a goal to last until vivid restrictions end and cost to return to home country is manageable to find.

Draw up a plan!

If the OP is an Aussie, he will have to be in Aust. to register for the pension, can't be done if O/S, a further  complication  is if not in Aus. for 2

years prior to applying, it will be stopped if he leaves the country. 

Not really important where the OP is from however I bet London to a Brick that's it's not Australia.

Never in my life heard Oz person use the term "state pension"

In Oz pension is referred to as "age pension" or many use term "old age pension"

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not really important where the OP is from however I bet London to a Brick that's it's not Australia.

Never in my life heard Oz person use the term "state pension"

In Oz pension is referred to as "age pension" or many use term "old age pension"

Let's hope it's not the UK then as planning for a future abroad based upon the UK state pension would not be the brightest idea anyone ever had.

2 hours ago, Mike Rodik said:

http://www.italki.com

I list my profile on that website and just checked my status:

2,627 lessons taught to date, at about $25 USD per lesson, (do the maths...) .  Currently 232 lessons forward-booked for the next month or so.

18 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

I get it. You gave up looking for a job. I can tell you that you will find a job when you're looking around.

Considering the COVID situation, nobody, or not many people, can come in, which opens a few more doors for you.

There's one thing I've learned in my life, and that's to stand up again when you fell. I understand that you want to work in your area, but believe me, it can be nice to work in another province and make new friends, experience a different Thailand and you might find something that changes your life in a very positive way.

Stop whining about your situation; you're the only one who can change it.

I had a similar issue and all of a sudden two households to pay for, so I know what I'm talking about.

We get too used to a particular place, but there are so many lovely places. If I were alone, I'd look for a job near a nice beach.

You don't have to pay for quarantine when you're going back to your country. No matter where you're from.

Am I missing something here? 

Wrong. 

Australia you have to pay for your quarantine. 

Hong Kong you have to pay for your quarantine. 

What planet are you living on ??

7 minutes ago, dbrenn said:
51 minutes ago, Nemises said:

If he’s from Australia and flies into Sydney, he doesn’t have to pay his hotel quarantine bill. No one else is ????

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-19/nsw-coronavirus-hotel-quarantine-debt-in-millions/12900850

Incredible. Nobody bothers paying it.

In the first instance perhaps..... The Oz Government have got plenty of form for just taking tax returns until debts are recovered and blocking you from leaving the country until the debt is cleared.

On 2/13/2021 at 1:08 PM, rumak said:

it would also be helpful to know your age.    

i hope you can understand that most here will have little sympathy for guys that fell in love to a

Thai lady,  then moved here without enough finances to live ( and yes,  medical costs can take big chunks)

Try to get back to your home country ......... beg and borrow...... 

because your situation here sounds hopeless.  (sorry,  that is my opinion)

Well said...

And i hope others take note..

DONT come to thailand with minimal finances,then fall in love with thai lady..

Always make sure that you have funds to cover accident or sickness hospital expenses,plus funds to return home,ifthings turn sour.

On 2/13/2021 at 1:08 PM, EvetsKram said:

Embassy doesn't help,  no family back there or I would ask.  Just hoping there is an option someone might know of to rotting in a Thai prison

did you try the easy way out Go Fund Me 

for the hard liners here: the above comment may have sarcastic intent

20 hours ago, EvetsKram said:

Sorry but I've said a few times I would love to work but keep getting told too old,  I'm 63

Sorry for you but 63 should not be "too" old.  I am 74 and could go to work right now except I made

my financial plans before I retired.  I exercise regularly, walk 10K every morning so physically I am

not very 74-years-of-age looking nor am I too old to work.  I have met teachers older than you and there

are not too many English-speaking Farangs running around Thailand right now as it is basically still

locked down internationally.  as several others have advised, look for a teaching job and begin to 

save money to return to your home country!  BTW where are you from?

2 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Let's hope it's not the UK then as planning for a future abroad based upon the UK state pension would not be the brightest idea anyone ever had.

I know of very few, if any now, of a Countries government state pension alone that meets the income requirements for retirement extensions. The Nordic Countries used to, but they've been hit by the falling exchange rates as well.

19 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

I meant the country where the OP was born and holds a passport from. If he can't pay, they can hardly refuse to let him in, could they? 

Right.  Once he is back in his home country what are they going to do?  Send him back to Thailand?  

5 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

I think your biggest problem is yourself. 
Many on this thread have offered solutions (especially simon43 who is of similar age and teaches online) but your standard excuse is you are “too old”. 
I don’t have too much sympathy for people who are not even willing to explore solutions for themselves. What are you expecting? For someone to offer a solution that doesn’t involve you having to get off your self-pity backside? For a knight in shining armor to come on here and say “here’s your solution and it doesn’t require you to do a single thing?”

The solutions have been presented to you. I think the least you can do is to get more information and explore them. 

Too true.  And why hasn't he been doing this for the last 3 years as his funds have been running out.  

Archived