What do you think would happen if...

Hi all,  I'm trying to think what would happen if I went to my local immigration office & said I could not afford to extend for another year.  I can't even afford an agent (16000),  returning to where I came from is about 130000 baht so that's out of the question. My dear wife asked recently what I will do if I don't have the money,  I guess I know what she wants.  All responses welcome,  I really need input here

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are not already on overstay, nothing will happen. If you are already on overstay, they will probably dispatch you to the Immigration Detention Centre where you will languish until you can afford deportation to your home country (together with a ban from returning to Thailand for some length of time).

Thats a horrible situation that i myself could have been pondering, had i not left Thailand when Covid hit.

I think your answer might differ slightly depending on which (location) immigration office you are going to.

Though, in the end i dont think any of them could do much.

They would probably suggest you contact your embassy for help, or get a loan from family and return back home.

For sure most offices would not want to get involved, so they'd say anything to get you out of their hair.

But having said that, id really be wary of telling them anything at all,

since you might cop one who might take note of your details and arrange a nasty surprise visit,  if/when you go into overstay.

Its a very bleak situation. I hope you find a ways out of it.

Good luck.

19 minutes ago, EvetsKram said:

All responses welcome,  I really need input here

What type of input are you hoping for.

Did you arrive post March last year?

I'm guessing not. So now almost a year down the track your looking for advice. 

Forward planning 101 is recommended.

Regarding immigration, I would be surprised if any slack was given. 

15 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you are not already on overstay, nothing will happen. If you are already on overstay, they will probably dispatch you to the Immigration Detention Centre where you will languish until you can afford deportation to your home country (together with a ban from returning to Thailand for some length of time).

Not on overstay, it's due in a few months.  I'd love to work but I am constantly told I'm too old at 63. I have a degree in health & years teaching at tertiary level.  Too young for a pension & refuse to die in a prison

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

What type of input are you hoping for.

Did you arrive post March last year?

I'm guessing not. So now almost a year down the track your looking for advice. 

Forward planning 101 is recommended.

Regarding immigration, I would be surprised if any slack was given. 

I've been here quite a few years but medical costs drained me completely, I'm looking for options to rotting in an overcrowded prison where I'd be soon dead

3 minutes ago, EvetsKram said:

Easy way out of marriage with no guilt.  We spent most of my money together,  that was fun but now I can't even afford an agent

it would also be helpful to know your age.    

i hope you can understand that most here will have little sympathy for guys that fell in love to a

Thai lady,  then moved here without enough finances to live ( and yes,  medical costs can take big chunks)

Try to get back to your home country ......... beg and borrow...... 

because your situation here sounds hopeless.  (sorry,  that is my opinion)

20 minutes ago, pookondee said:

Thats a horrible situation that i myself could have been pondering, had i not left Thailand when Covid hit.

I think your answer might differ slightly depending on which (location) immigration office you are going to.

Though, in the end i dont think any of them could do much.

They would probably suggest you contact your embassy for help, or get a loan from family and return back home.

For sure most offices would not want to get involved, so they'd say anything to get you out of their hair.

But having said that, id really be wary of telling them anything at all,

since you might cop one who might take note of your details and arrange a nasty surprise visit,  if/when you go into overstay.

Its a very bleak situation. I hope you find a ways out of it.

Good luck.

Embassy doesn't help,  no family back there or I would ask.  Just hoping there is an option someone might know of to rotting in a Thai prison

5 minutes ago, EvetsKram said:

Embassy doesn't help,  no family back there or I would ask.  Just hoping there is an option someone might know of to rotting in a Thai prison

If you have a home, sell it.

If you have a car, sell it.

If the wife doesn't work, now's a good time to start.

Where are you from that it costs 130,000 baht to return?

1 minute ago, Saltire said:

Sorry if I missed something but if funds are tight why even consider an agent when a new 1 year extension is only 1900 Baht?

I think he needs 400k or 800k baht in a Thai bank to apply for his extension.

What would happen if you tell the Immigration that you can't afford to stay here?

You'd be here illegally. 

I hope that you're not a troll.

There's no country in the world where you'd have to pay 130,000 baht for a one-way ticket.
Even with 63, it's possible to find a job.

I don't understand your rot in jail?

Detention is for the time until they know who will pay for your flight, not a death sentence.

Get your ar_e up and look for a job, or try to make enough money and fly back where you came from. 

There's no other way. Best of luck! 

59 minutes ago, EvetsKram said:

Hi all,  I'm trying to think what would happen if I went to my local immigration office & said I could not afford to extend for another year.

If your wife is Thai you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit her without money in the bank.

And at this time there are 60 day covid 19 extensions you can apply for.

Who told you that you are to old to teach. There is no official age limit if you find a school that will hire you.

1 minute ago, Saltire said:

Sorry if I missed something but if funds are tight why even consider an agent when a new 1 year extension is only 1900 Baht?

Because he has been cheating the system using an agent who fraudulently fiddles the money that should be in the bank for the visa extension. 

I don't feel all that sorry for him nor will any other's who play by the rules. 

For interest, what is the current Imm. policy on extensions for those unable to leave the country? 

Don't go to immigration if you don't have the money!

I remember a guy who bough already his ticket back home (a few years ago). His visa expired about a week before his flight home. So he though he will go to immigration and sort this out.

The immigration kept him in a cell and gave him a ride to the airport...

32 minutes ago, EvetsKram said:

There isn't one.

Your choices are;

manage to extend

or

go on overstay and sooner or later get caught and imprisoned until you come up with airfare home

Dial up a teaching agency. They'll throw you in a rowdy high school and if you survive, you'll get 30 k to 35 k after a month. Use that to engage agent and get an annual renewal. After that consider seriously what you need to do to survive or leave.

1 hour ago, EvetsKram said:

I'm trying to think what would happen if I went to my local immigration office & said I could not afford to extend for another year.  I can't even afford an agent (16000),  returning to where I came from is about 130000 baht so that's out of the question. My dear wife asked recently what I will do if I don't have the money,  I guess I know what she wants.  All responses welcome,  I really need input here

"I'm trying to think what would happen if I went to my local immigration office & said I could not afford to extend for another year". 

If you weren't on overstay at the time of asking, Immigration wouldn't do anything, they'd not be interested in your future problems. 

If you were on an overstay they'd probably arrest you.   They certainly wouldn't be offering you any charitable options.

59 minutes ago, EvetsKram said:

Not on overstay, it's due in a few months.  I'd love to work but I am constantly told I'm too old at 63. I have a degree in health & years teaching at tertiary level.  Too young for a pension & refuse to die in a prison

Language schools take almost everybody

Archived