What do you think would happen if...

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, EvetsKram said:

I don't get a look in 

Maybe there are other factors that cause this?  Probably things such as your attitude (including admitted years of fecklessness) are more of a disadvantage than your age.   Or maybe you just need some job-application guidance.

2 hours ago, Presnock said:

I am 74 and could go to work right now

Similarly aged, I do still, in a sense, do quite a lot (mostly enjoyable) work: but not because of any financial necessity.

Many people work into their 80s and beyond: all it takes is reasonable health and a positive attitude.

On 2/13/2021 at 2:06 AM, simon43 said:

I'm 62 years old and teach Science and English (ESL) 'online' to young students (5-16 years old) all over the world, but primarily in Korea and China.  I live in Laos now (but the scenario would be much the same if I were still in Thailand).  I teach from my home and earn about 100,000 baht a month. 

You could do the same ????

Simon, which online platforms do you use for teaching?

10 hours ago, UncleMhee said:

In the first instance perhaps..... The Oz Government have got plenty of form for just taking tax returns until debts are recovered and blocking you from leaving the country until the debt is cleared.

Ridiculous. There's been nothing to suggest that the Oz Government will ever block people from leaving the country for not paying a hotel bill. Besides, the article is about the NSW government not the Oz Government.... and the NSW Government are handing over the debt recovery to a private collection agency - not to the Oz Government.

Furthermore the OP has no money, therefore he is unlikely to travel overseas again, should he ever make it back to Australia (if that's where he's from).

On 2/13/2021 at 11:34 PM, BritTim said:

That actually is not true. A few countries both enforce quarantine and make you pay for it.

I wonder if one of these countries is the UK, what will they actually do if you arrive at Heathrow and cannot afford a 14 day stay quarantine in a hotel? Treat you like the asylum seekers who arrive in dinghy's or in the back of lorries and give you a free room in a hotel, then a rent free flat and living expenses? :cheesy:

12 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I wonder if one of these countries is the UK, what will they actually do if you arrive at Heathrow and cannot afford a 14 day stay quarantine in a hotel? Treat you like the asylum seekers who arrive in dinghy's or in the back of lorries and give you a free room in a hotel, then a rent free flat and living expenses?

You could not arrive at LHR or in UK without the quarantine, because you must arrange and pay for it before leaving wherever you are flying from. They should not let you board without that evidence.

Whats funny about that Possum?

30 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

You could not arrive at LHR or in UK without the quarantine, because you must arrange and pay for it before leaving wherever you are flying from. They should not let you board without that evidence.

Whats funny about that Possum?

Correct me if I am wrong, but Thailand is not on the red list of countries which you would need to quarantine if arriving from there into the UK..

"Whats funny about that Possum?" Everyone has a different sense of humor, ie look at the laughing emoticans in a post about someone who has died.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but Thailand is not on the red list of countries which you would need to quarantine if arriving from there into the UK..

"Whats funny about that Possum?" Everyone has a different sense of humor, ie look at the laughing emoticans in a post about someone who has died.

Sorry, i was not referring to Thailand specifically, merely to the countries which would require quarantine.

17 hours ago, simon43 said:

http://www.italki.com

I list my profile on that website and just checked my status:

2,627 lessons taught to date, at about $25 USD per lesson, (do the maths...) .  Currently 232 lessons forward-booked for the next month or so.

English is closed on italki.

As are most other languages,  by the way.

Maybe he can teach Nahuatl and Malagassy, there seems to be some demand. 

15 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I know of very few, if any now, of a Countries government state pension alone that meets the income requirements for retirement extensions. The Nordic Countries used to, but they've been hit by the falling exchange rates as well.

Depends on what you call a state pension. 

Some countries have a regular state pension for the working poor, and other,  much higher ones, for paper shufflers, bureaucrats, teachers and state employees. 

The latter ones easily meet Thai immigration limits. The former ones,  no way.

Thailand itself has this kind of dual system. Not long ago, people who actually worked got a state pension of 500 baht per month,  teachers easily 30000 up.

1 hour ago, Kiujunn said:

English is closed on italki.

As are most other languages,  by the way.

Maybe he can teach Nahuatl and Malagassy, there seems to be some demand. 

I don't teach English on iTalki, I teach Science....

8 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I don't teach English on iTalki, I teach Science....

You teach science to Asian kids using English ???

So the Chinese kids will learn the word /kə'lesteroul/, but they have no idea what is 胆固醇?

How do you do this? 

Archived