What do you think would happen if...

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EvetsKram said:

Not on overstay, it's due in a few months.  I'd love to work but I am constantly told I'm too old at 63. I have a degree in health & years teaching at tertiary level.  Too young for a pension & refuse to die in a prison

I'm 62 years old and teach Science and English (ESL) 'online' to young students (5-16 years old) all over the world, but primarily in Korea and China.  I live in Laos now (but the scenario would be much the same if I were still in Thailand).  I teach from my home and earn about 100,000 baht a month. 

You could do the same ????

My dear wife asked recently what I will do if I don't have the money,  I guess I know what she wants.  All responses welcome,  I really need input here

She's giving you notice , that she won't need you , that she won't feed you when you reach your next birthday...????????

Embassy doesn't help,  no family back there or I would ask.  Just hoping there is an option someone might know of to rotting in a Thai prison

I suppose you could try a GoFund me page back in your country, because as others have said, you won't get sympathy here, looking for it or not, I have provided you with the only option I can think of.

Good luck, better planning next life mate.

2 hours ago, EvetsKram said:

what would happen if I went to my local immigration office & said I could not afford to extend for another year. 

Well I don't think they'll offer to lend you the money till times get better!

What would happen ? If you were UK, deport, cardboard box in uk street probably unless you could get benefits and a hostel/b and b.

In past I rented my house out but things went wrong and had to return, but I still had house to return to. Wife took daughter back home for a while. Then simply waited 1 year to 55, took early pension, found good tenant and returned and finances are now not an issue.

Living in Thailand needs money and planning, I took a risk before, didn't work, paid the price but now its ok.

My advice , go home, sort your finances out or hide out on Thailand until death or someone  gives you up. If it means time away to wait to a retirement date , so be it. I've missed the wife 2 years in 3 due to tenant and covid - but thats life

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'll chip in a satang given hard times.

All he needs is another 2 million donations to match your generous offer Jack and he'll have enough to put 400K  in the bank, pay the extension fee and have a little left over for emergency situations.

If you have a degree in anything, you can teach English. From your posts I'm guessing you have an adequate understanding of the language.

I know two teachers in their 70's still teaching in the Pattaya area, and schools are desperate for anyone with a pulse right now.

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Dial up a teaching agency. They'll throw you in a rowdy high school and if you survive, you'll get 30 k to 35 k after a month. Use that to engage agent and get an annual renewal. After that consider seriously what you need to do to survive or leave.

I think he must understand that work brings money, but at no point did I see that he indicated a desire to work. 

12 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I think he must understand that work brings money, but at no point did I see that he indicated a desire to work. 

2 hours ago, EvetsKram said:

I'd love to work but I am constantly told I'm too old at 63. I have a degree in health & years teaching at tertiary level.

Not sure who's constantly telling him.  The mirror I suspect.

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

Sorry if I missed something but if funds are tight why even consider an agent when a new 1 year extension is only 1900 Baht?

It is likely due to the cost of the visa, in terms of the required monthly income, or the money in the bank. It does not cost only 1900 baht. It costs 65,000 baht per month, or a minimum of 400,000 baht, if you have a marriage visa.  

Just now, PatOngo said:

Mathematics and money management obviously not his strong point!

Can't argue with you there.

Again, OP's words:

"We spent most of my money together,  that was fun but now I can't even afford an agent"

4 hours ago, rumak said:

it would also be helpful to know your age.    

i hope you can understand that most here will have little sympathy for guys that fell in love to a

Thai lady,  then moved here without enough finances to live ( and yes,  medical costs can take big chunks)

Try to get back to your home country ......... beg and borrow...... 

because your situation here sounds hopeless.  (sorry,  that is my opinion)

About 130000 to return there during covid, I don't have 16000 for an agent to extend here so I suppose I'm screwed.  You really shouldn't be so judgemental

50 minutes ago, J Town said:

Can't argue with you there.

Again, OP's words:

"We spent most of my money together,  that was fun but now I can't even afford an agent"

Only needs an agent if doing it illegally 

8 hours ago, EvetsKram said:

Not on overstay, it's due in a few months.  I'd love to work but I am constantly told I'm too old at 63. I have a degree in health & years teaching at tertiary level.  Too young for a pension & refuse to die in a prison

If you are a native English speaker, you can get a job as a language teacher. It is not lucrative for someone, like you, who lacks ESL qualifications and experience, but would provide enough income to survive.

Archived