Financial requirements

I understand the immigration wording states that the funds for annual extensions can be a 'Combination of both, monthly amounts and money in the bank' but how is it calculated using this option?

It should be pretty straightforward but clearly it's not looking at the most common two examples, ie Spouse and Retirement,

Spouse being 400,000 THB in the bank or 40,000 THB/month = 480,000 THB Annually  80,000 THB More

Retirement 800,000 THB in the bank or 60,000 THB/month = 720,000 THB Annually 80,000 THB Less

So if I transfer around 35,000 THB per month from my UK accounts how much would I need to have in my savings account??

Or is this just likely to be the IO's mood on the day?.

If I remember correctly, using the combination method for a retirement extension, the total of the two must amount to 800,000 THB for the year. In other words, if you have 500,000 in the bank, then the monthly income must account for the other 300,000. Same for the marriage extension, except the total is 400,000 THB.

Combination method can only be used for extension based on retirement, not marriage.

12 x monthly transfers + funds in bank totalling 800K min.

i.e. 12 x 40K monthly transfers + 320K in the bank.

Note: Certain IO's insist the funds must be a minimum of 400K.

8 minutes ago, timendres said:

If I remember correctly, using the combination method for a retirement extension, the total of the two must amount to 800,000 THB for the year. In other words, if you have 500,000 in the bank, then the monthly income must account for the other 300,000. Same for the marriage extension, except the total is 400,000 THB.

The combination method is not available for extension based on marriage.

16 minutes ago, hereforgood said:

Has been posted here before some offices will not allow the combo method so may want to check in advance.

They just don't want to do the math!

You may have to bring the office up to speed. But, the law is the law.

1 hour ago, hereforgood said:

Has been posted here before some offices will not allow the combo method so may want to check in advance.

That was mostly in the past when people could not prove income with transfers from abroad for 12 months to do the application. Now they are allowing  the combination option extension based upon retirement if they have 12 months of transfers.

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So are you looking at using combo method for extension based on marriage?

That was my intention, yes, but from what I’m reading in this thread it now seems unlikely but I’ll check with immigration and see what sense I can get from them.

They’re hidden away in the back office and not particularly helpful during this time so Thaivisa has been the quickest way to get some feedback.

Thank you and other contributors ????

If you are able to get hold of +400.000 THB and have those funds on your personal Thai bank-account seasoned for two months before the moment of application for your 1-year extension of stay for reason of marriage based on your original Non Imm O (or O-A) Visa, that would be the option with least hassle.

You also need to keep the funds on that personal Thai bank-account during the under consideration period, but once you get the 1-year permission to stay stamp, you are free to use the funds as you please only to top up again to +400K two months before your next 1-year extension of stay application.

Contrary to the monthly income transfer method, the +400K funds-in-bank method does not require you to provide any evidence of the foreign origins of the funds, nor of the source of the money.

Note: When you have Thai dependant children, you could also apply for that reason and in that case you only need the +400K funds on day of application (and keep them there during the under consideration period).

If possible, lending the money from family/friends for the required 3 or 1 month period, would be a worthwhile option as it will save you a lot of hassle re meeting the financial requirements using the combination-method (if that is possible at all at your IO for a 1-year marriage extension).

57 minutes ago, I wonder said:

That was my intention, yes, but from what I’m reading in this thread it now seems unlikely but I’ll check with immigration and see what sense I can get from them.

A combination of income and money in the bank is not allowed for a extension of stay based upon marriage.

From clause 2.18 of the immigration order for extensions.

"(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year."

5 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

They just don't want to do the math!

Can't, not want.

Most IO's just don't understand the different types of accounts that one can provide.

Last week a friend with 400K in a fixed term account applied for his marriage extension.

The IO couldn't understand why there were no transactions, save added interest  and the balance brought forward to the current date.

He sent him back to the bank for a 3 month statement, but was still confused, so had him return to the bank for a separate letter explaining the account details, which again he still couldn't understand.

It was only when he returned for a 3rd time and had the bank phone him and explain the funds had actually been in the account (untouched) for several years, he granted an under consideration stamp.

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

If you are able to get hold of +400.000 THB and have those funds on your personal Thai bank-account seasoned for two months before the moment of application for your 1-year extension of stay for reason of marriage based on your original Non Imm O (or O-A) Visa, that would be the option with least hassle.

You also need to keep the funds on that personal Thai bank-account during the under consideration period, but once you get the 1-year permission to stay stamp, you are free to use the funds as you please only to top up again to +400K two months before your next 1-year extension of stay application.

Contrary to the monthly income transfer method, the +400K funds-in-bank method does not require you to provide any evidence of the foreign origins of the funds, nor of the source of the money.

Note: When you have Thai dependant children, you could also apply for that reason and in that case you only need the +400K funds on day of application (and keep them there during the under consideration period).

If possible, lending the money from family/friends for the required 3 or 1 month period, would be a worthwhile option as it will save you a lot of hassle re meeting the financial requirements using the combination-method (if that is possible at all at your IO for a 1-year marriage extension).

Yeah thanks I should have checked earlier, I've always had the 400K in the past but....you know how it goes.......

17 minutes ago, I wonder said:

Yeah thanks I should have checked earlier, I've always had the 400K in the past but....you know how it goes.......

For marriage extensions, the financial requirements are either,

1. Monthly overseas transfers of 40K minimum.

2. 400K deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application.

3. An Embassy Income letter.

For retirement;

1. Monthly overseas transfers of 65K minimum.

2. 800K deposited in a Thai bank 2 months prior to the date of application (first extension)

Subsequent extensions required the 800K to be held in the account for 3 months after issue of the first and subsequent extensions, then a withdrawal is allowed but the remaining balance must remain a minimum of 400K, then back to 800K 2 months prior to the date of next application.

3. A combination of funds and monthly overseas transfers totalling 800K min for the year.

4. An Embassy Income letter.

For extensions based on marriage there is no requirement to keep any funds in the bank once the extension is granted. 

30 minutes ago, I wonder said:

If you did not already use it, you might apply for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of marriage.  Per entry in Thailand you can apply once for such 60-day extension of stay and that would buy you sufficient time to season the +400K for two months for your subsequent 1-year extension of stay application.

@ubonjoe > Would OP also have the option to apply for a 60-day covid-19 extension?  Not sure whether that is possible when on a 1-year marriage extension based on his original Non Imm O (or O-A) Visa.  But worth enquiring about it, in case he would not be eligible for the 60-day extension for reason of marriage.

19 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Would OP also have the option to apply for a 60-day covid-19 extension?   

A 60 day covid 19 extension can be applied for.

20 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Not sure whether that is possible when on a 1-year marriage extension based on his original Non Imm O (or O-A) Visa.

Extensions are not based upon what category of a visa a person used for entry. The are based upon the reason a visa or extension of stay was issued. For example Marriage to a Thai, parent of Thai, retirement and etc.

1 hour ago, I wonder said:

As confirmed by UbonJoe, that would give you 2 options to season the +400K for two months for your 1-year extension of stay for reason of marriage.

1 - Applying for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of marriage (one per entry, so possible if you did not already use it);

2 - Applying for a 60-day covid-19 extension of stay (that one has an under consideration period, so requires two visits and hence option-1 would probably be more attractive for you).

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Can't, not want.

Most IO's just don't understand the different types of accounts that one can provide.

Last week a friend with 400K in a fixed term account applied for his marriage extension.

The IO couldn't understand why there were no transactions, save added interest  and the balance brought forward to the current date.

He sent him back to the bank for a 3 month statement, but was still confused, so had him return to the bank for a separate letter explaining the account details, which again he still couldn't understand.

It was only when he returned for a 3rd time and had the bank phone him and explain the funds had actually been in the account (untouched) for several years, he granted an under consideration stamp.

New one on me and I've used fixed term accounts before with no hassle, the bank letter did say the account had been in existence from X date, and the bank book was always updated for interest in, tax out, income out (to a linked account) twice a year and the name page stated "Fixed Term Account".

Should not have been any problem, maybe shows the education level of the new personnel they are bring in or the lack of training being given.

Archived