How will we know we've reached herd immunity?

ASEAN NOW Content Team

Just get your jabs as soon as possible! There have been articles in US stating such broad immunity may be impossible due the various refuseniks, including the worlds smartest people....

The high percent of adult men who identify as Republicans!

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2021/04/23/republican-men-are-vaccine-hesitant-but-theres-little-focus-on-them

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2021 at 3:51 AM, Yellowtail said:

If the vaccines are effective, what does everyone care that a few people don't get vaccinated? 

If everybody says that , will everybody get vaccinated ? 1 does not matter indeed . Even 5% of population does not matter . But the more people think they belong to the 1 or 5% , the less likely you do get herd immunity .

When to know when you have reached it , very easy ... numbers say it all . 1st nearly nobody in hospital , and 2nd near no positives ( or actually none if full herd immunity is reached ) .

5 hours ago, sezze said:

If everybody says that , will everybody get vaccinated ? 1 does not matter indeed . Even 5% of population does not matter . But the more people think they belong to the 1 or 5% , the less likely you do get herd immunity .

When to know when you have reached it , very easy ... numbers say it all . 1st nearly nobody in hospital , and 2nd near no positives ( or actually none if full herd immunity is reached ) .

If the vaccines are effective, why do you care that people don't get vaccinated? The vaccine will protect you, yes? 

Herd immunity will be met with or without a vaccine.

I'm not afraid of the vaccines and and I plan on being vaccinated when it becomes available, but I do not think the government should be mandating people be vaccinated, any more than I think the government should mandate people wear condoms. 

On 5/15/2021 at 10:51 AM, Yellowtail said:

If the vaccines are effective, what does everyone care that a few people don't get vaccinated? 

I agree this is the crux of the matter. It's probably unlikely any society will achieve herd immunity, due to anti-vaxers and due to porous borders globally. As a result, we will be left with those who have been fully vaccinated (and have timely access to booster shots for variants) with the best vaccines (such as myself), and those who haven't been and/or won't be vaccinated. We will never be able to enforce or monitor those who haven't been vaccinated, so mask mandates, or relaxation measure are meaningless. Cheaters will always ride on the back of the vaccinated.

I think the brave new world is one in which the willing haves (vaccinated) have no control over those who are not (have-nots or antivaxers), and frankly, don't care.

It seems like there are cases where some people just can't tolerate the vaccine so they may never get it. Plus babies don't get vaccinations right as they come out of the womb. With Covid potentially lingering around due to unvaxed people, these people suffer more risks. And of course, the rest of the world will have places where the people don't get vaccinated due to their crappy governments, war or whatever. These people will face more risk from the people around the world who don't get vaccinated. Covid will no doubt be lingering around for a long time on the planet. Polio disappeared then resurfaced again due to unvaccinated people.

The people that think they are somehow more natural due to not getting vaccinated are just full of it. You can look at their diet and the world environment and see they are far from natural already. The junk foods they love are filled with all sorts of strange chemicals and the air and water is full of pollutants. Recent studies show evidence that most humans have plastic particles in their organs and other tissues. We live on a planet horribly polluted with manmade chemicals and plastics. These chemicals will no doubt affect us in strange ways.

• 2 months later...
On 5/17/2021 at 12:33 PM, Yellowtail said:

If the vaccines are effective, why do you care that people don't get vaccinated? The vaccine will protect you, yes? 

I'm not afraid of the vaccines and and I plan on being vaccinated when it becomes available, but I do not think the government should be mandating people be vaccinated, any more than I think the government should mandate people wear condoms. 

The current government members should be forced to wear condoms - don't want them influencing the gene pool. 

On 5/19/2021 at 12:47 PM, TooBigToFit said:

It seems like there are cases where some people just can't tolerate the vaccine so they may never get it. Plus babies don't get vaccinations right as they come out of the womb. With Covid potentially lingering around due to unvaxed people, these people suffer more risks. And of course, the rest of the world will have places where the people don't get vaccinated due to their crappy governments, war or whatever. These people will face more risk from the people around the world who don't get vaccinated. Covid will no doubt be lingering around for a long time on the planet. Polio disappeared then resurfaced again due to unvaccinated people.

The people that think they are somehow more natural due to not getting vaccinated are just full of it. You can look at their diet and the world environment and see they are far from natural already. The junk foods they love are filled with all sorts of strange chemicals and the air and water is full of pollutants. Recent studies show evidence that most humans have plastic particles in their organs and other tissues. We live on a planet horribly polluted with manmade chemicals and plastics. These chemicals will no doubt affect us in strange ways.

So it is your position that people refusing to get vaccinated eat a lot of junk food? 

On 2/19/2021 at 2:42 AM, pikao said:

Did we ever have "herd immunity" against:

Influenza (having vaccines since decades)

Dengue

Zika

HIV

Malaria

Ebola

Herpes

Hepatitis

Yellow fever...........

the list goes on forever, it is like it is and population is still growing

I do not really understand the question

Most of these have no vaccine and those that do, there's no vaccine mania. 

In Serrana, a city in Brazil, when 75% of the people were vaccinated, herd immunity began to be evident. But since about 25% had already been infected with covid, that means about 81 percent had, in effect, been inoculated.. However, the Delta virus was not endemic there at the time.

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2021 at 12:33 PM, Yellowtail said:

Pretty sure that some people should be forced to wear condoms, it would certainly assist the world's gene pool? 

23 hours ago, Artisi said:

Pretty sure that some people should be forced to wear condoms, it would certainly assist the world's gene pool? 

Is that a question or a statement? 

I'd wear them twice a day if they came installed!