Income affidavit alternative (40k/month certification) for marriage visa for Americans?

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

You can't change a Visa type in Thailand, only the reason of your permission of stay.

I don't think you can apply for an extension based on marriage from a SMART Visa either.

If anyone knows it will be@ubonjoe

Messages posted together, great minds think alike. lol.

i entered originally on a visa exemption right before covid. i had just left my job and was planning to find a new job. that changed to a covid extension. then i changed from the covid extension to a SMART visa. now the SMART visa is about to run out. i have some job interviews but no offers yet. 

13 hours ago, bkk7 said:

Currently my girlfriend. But we're planning to get married, which is why I am seeking a marriage visa.

The financial requirements for marriage extensions is very clear and have been outlined.

You could consider obtaining a 60 day covid extension and possibly a second. (assuming they are continued). That would give you time to get married and organize the financials. If your not prepared to tie up 400k for couple of months then use agent to obtain non O (volunteering) and 12 month extension.

You entered visa exempt so normally that would be possible. Not sure how/if the smart visa is a problem. That would cost approx 45k.

9 hours ago, bkk7 said:

Why are you sure it cannot be changed to a non-O? can a SMART visa be changed to anything? for example, covid-extension? and then to a non-O? or to a tourist visa?

The smart visa is not a standard visa that is issued by embassies and consulates. 

You can not change any visa category without leaving the country other than a entry to the country with a tourist visa or visa exempt entry that can be changed to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry.

You might be able to apply for 60 day covid 19 extension.

If you had normal non immigrant visa it would be possible to apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage.

12 hours ago, bkk7 said:

i have some job interviews but no offers yet.

In order to work legally you'll need a work permit.

Essentially you'll need a Non B Visa or be married to a Thai to obtain that.

Have you prepared your documents in order to register your marriage.

In other words have you obtain an affidavit of freedom to marry from your Embassy, had it translated and legalised by the MFA. Without that you won't be getting married.

On 2/19/2021 at 1:53 AM, FritsSikkink said:
On 2/18/2021 at 10:38 PM, bkk7 said:

I have 2M baht tied up in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. I have about 450k tied up in stocks. I do not want to take either out for 2 reasons: 1) it would trigger taxes 2) I'm in really great positions, especially with cryptocurrencies, as they are increasing in value. I will lose out massively if I have to park my money in a Thai bank for 2 months for the 400k qualification... 

That said, I don't have a full time job right now. I'm mostly day trading and making about 70-120k per month, but I'm only taking out what I need, which is probably only about 30k. My gf also makes good money, and we are not big spenders, so this seems to be ok for us... except that, the US embassy doesn't do income affidavits anymore.

So what are my alternatives? I've searched but I am confused by what I've read so far. My current visa ends near the middle of March (a little more than a month from now). 

Expand  

Buy an elite visa

What's the difference between taking funds form his investments for the 400k in the bank method (that he said he wants to avoid) and taking funds from his investments to buy an Elite Visa?

20 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

What's the difference between taking funds form his investments for the 400k in the bank method (that he said he wants to avoid) and taking funds from his investments to buy an Elite Visa?

The Elite is dead money, you cannot spend.

The 400K remains yours to spend after the 2 month requirement.

You also cannot get a work permit with the Elite and as the OP is looking for work ......

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:
20 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

The Elite is dead money, you cannot spend.

The 400K remains yours to spend after the 2 month requirement.

We all know that!  Why are you ignoring what the OP has clearly stated?  He does not want to transfer 400k of his investment funds to a bank!

4 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

We all know that!  Why are you ignoring what the OP has clearly stated?  He does not want to transfer 400k of his investment funds to a bank!

What the OP wants and what Immigration require are two different entities.

If he wants to get married and obtain an extension based on marriage, which allows him to obtain a work permit, then he has to comply with Immigrations requirements.

That being 400K in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application.

Once he gets the extension he can withdraw and use those funds for living expenses throughout the following months.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

What the OP wants and what Immigration require are two different entities.

If he wants to get married and obtain an extension based on marriage, which allows him to obtain a work permit, then he has to comply with Immigrations requirements.

That being 400K in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application.

Once he gets the extension he can withdraw and use those funds for living expenses throughout the following months.

We all know that but he does not want to do that!   Geez....   

24 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

Immigration is known to be very inflexable.  I am sure they can come up with an arrangement to accomodate his wants.......

Edited by 86Tiger
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:
26 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

So what do you suggest he does?

He's had all the answers, what he does is up to him but he doesn't have a lot of choice within his parameters.

15 minutes ago, Matreusse said:

He's had all the answers, what he does is up to him but he doesn't have a lot of choice within his parameters.

Boils down to 2 options given his intransigent attitude, I think:-

(1) 60-day COVID-19 extensions for as long as these remain available

(2) A one-way flight back to the States before mid-March.

Edited by OJAS

On 2/20/2021 at 1:14 PM, OJAS said:

Boils down to 2 options given his intransigent attitude, I think:-

(1) 60-day COVID-19 extensions for as long as these remain available

(2) A one-way flight back to the States before mid-March.

i don't think my views are intransigent. i originally posted that i wasn't completely clear on what the rules were to obtain a "marriage visa" (which i now understand is a non-O due to marriage) after marrying my girlfriend. 

specifically, because the US embassy previously issued letters but does not anymore, to fulfil the financial requirement (400k in the bank or 40k per month), i was hoping there were some updated methods to still meet the requirement without needing to put a huge chunk of money in a Thai bank account. that's really what i came here for. 

with that said, while i think your option (2) is a bit snide, i hope that your option (1) is available to me. i'm not sure if i have to cancel my SMART visa first or not. but that opens up a new round of questions: if it's difficult to change from SMART to anything, if i am on COVID-19 extension, can i change to other visas while in-country?

i didn't make a post saying the immigration rules should change for me. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, bkk7 said:

, i was hoping there were some updated methods to still meet the requirement without needing to put a huge chunk of money in a Thai bank account. that's really what i came here for. 

There are no "updated methods".

Your coming across as recalcitrant. Money in bank option involves 400k in bank for 2 months. That would hardly be referred to as "huge chunk of money".

Approx $13,350usd after extension granted you can use it as you wish.

Edited by DrJack54