Exchanging and getting new bills

I have a small wallet and wanted to stock up on small bills for buses and taxies so I always have just enough. If Im going to the bank I wanted new bills since its cleaner and neater. Never went to any bank here yet, only superrich, so wanted some heads up.

Seems like I dont need an account with them so Ill drop by one next time.

i have done so many times and never had an issue..

that said, if you’re looking to - example - exchange 20x1000 into 100’s that might be an issue as that’s a fair amount of 100 notes... but commonly any amount less than 100 bills is usually no problem...

now, as far as getting NEW notes (ie still with the BoT wrapper) THAT might be harder as not all branches get new supply and they usually don’t know what they’ll get until the cash drop arrives.

My experience is that if you’re going into a medium to larger size branch, you stand a decent chance.... it would help if you were a customer of that bank .. .. and better yet, a customer of that branch... 

New notes tend to be popular around university graduation time and other types of events... so banks will understand why you are explicitly asking for new notes.

As far as fees go, i have never heard of a fee to simply “break” a few large notes to smaller ones.. nor a fee to get “new” notes.... 

On 2/19/2021 at 11:47 AM, Oldie said:

Just be careful that they don't say for instance that you paid only with 500 Baht or even only with 100 if you gave them 1000. Happened to me already two times. I don't pay with big notes there anymore. I always use Tops or Big C. Never ever had a problem there. 

When I pay with a large note in a 7/11 I hold up the note and announce loudly what it is for all to hear.This prevents any problem with the memory of the shop assistant. 

In Hua Hin or Pattaya or Jomtien beach, I have gone into Bangkok Bank and Kasakorn

bank, and exchanged my money without any problems. I carry a copy of my Passport

and a bank book of my Bangkok Bank. Never have had any problems.  I also did it

in Udonthani and Chiang Mai without any problems. Get yourself a bank account at

Bangkok Bank, and you should nave no problems in the future of changing your money.

There will be poster on this forum who will say many things about problems, and I have gone to banks

where a lot of staff do not know good English and I just ask for someone who knows English, then I have no

issues.  Good Luck and enjoy your life in Thailand.

Geezer.

On 2/19/2021 at 8:47 AM, Oldie said:

Just be careful that they don't say for instance that you paid only with 500 Baht or even only with 100 if you gave them 1000. Happened to me already two times. I don't pay with big notes there anymore. I always use Tops or Big C. Never ever had a problem there. 

Perhaps you actually made a mistake? For it happen twice seems very unusual. I use 7-11 regularly and have never had an issue.

2 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Perhaps you actually made a mistake? For it happen twice seems very unusual. I use 7-11 regularly and have never had an issue.

I didn't make a mistake for sure because I always have two 1000 banknotes with me and other smaller banknotes. So I know what I have. But whatever - since this time I avoid to give them big banknotes or I avoid to buy there anything at all. In addition I always go shopping with a rucksack and it impossible or pretty hard to pack your stuff because there is very little space. 

Usually use cash, and have only been given insufficient change twice in the last 5 years - each time i asked for the missing amount and got it back (once i am sure from the petrol attendant's pocket .......). Have also been given too much change, once i think, which i gave back.

If wife is with me the wife usually pays - shortchanging a thai woman is very dangerous........

On 2/19/2021 at 3:47 AM, Oldie said:

I protest against the defamation. Every seller in 7/11 declares loudly the bill that you handed him/her. Maybe you don't understand the basic Thai words. You can always say it yourself when you give them the bill: Nueng Pan Baht <deleted> or Haa roi Baht <deleted>.

7 hours ago, fakser said:

I protest against the defamation. Every seller in 7/11 declares loudly the bill that you handed him/her. Maybe you don't understand the basic Thai words. You can always say it yourself when you give them the bill: Nueng Pan Baht <deleted> or Haa roi Baht <deleted>.

It is interesting that you know every seller in 7/11... The defamation is more against me.