NASA's astrobiology rover Perseverance makes historic Mars landing

webfact

15 hours ago, Gumballl said:

I watched coverage of this event on NASA TV. One of the announcers made a comment that it (currently) takes 11 minutes for radio signals to go from Earth to Mars (and obviously the same time the other way around). Naturally, the time delay varies, depending on the distance between Earth and Mars.

A few (maybe 5) minutes after the rover landed, it beamed back an image of the surface to Earth. How was that possible?

I expect NASA didn't announce the rover had safely landed until they received the signal from the rover it had landed safety as that's the only way they could have known for sure.  And right after rover had finished sending "I landed OK" message it then started taking/sending the first picture....let's say the rover took 5 minutes to startup/warmup its camera and send a picture after sending the "I landed OK" message....this would mean that picture would have arrived Earth 5 minutes after the "I landed OK" message arrived. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Because it took 11 mins for the 'confirmation of landing' signal to arrive, then a further 5 mins for the image signal to arrive. Simple really.

But surely you must have been just a bit jealous today, eh, Moonlover?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Terraforming ... the ones who can do this will become god ... but from the initial act of implanting life forms on a planet that has none , to the final result of the creation of an atmosphere and biosphere that creates life itself , evolution usually takes a few billion years to do that ...

Who has the time to wait for that ...?

And if they can terraform Mars, how about the Sahara?  Most of the hard work and billions of years of waiting has already been done...

• Like 1

CBS News Everything to know about NASA's Mars Ingenuity helicopter

"Mars' thin atmosphere, which is 99% less dense than Earth's, will make it difficult for Ingenuity to achieve enough lift to properly fly. Because of this, it has been designed to be extremely lightweight and it stands just 19 inches tall.

The helicopter has four large carbon-fiber blades, fashioned into two rotors that span about 4 feet and spin in opposite directions at about 2,400 rpm — significantly faster than typical helicopters on Earth."

Fascinating stuff!

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 9:19 AM, Golden Triangle said:

I believe @Gumballl thinks this as fake as the moon landings, sad really.

What a crude comment to make. You know nothing about me.

I worked 0600 to 1400 that day, and as tired as I was, I decided to watch the coverage of the Perseverance landing on NASA TV (which at times, can be a little dry). Obviously I was slow to digest the fact that the graphical simulation I saw on TV was driven by telemetry being received from the rover after it had (obviously) landed. In other words, the simulation was delayed by 11 minutes, even though for us Earthlings it appeared to be happening in the now.