Fauci hopes for return to normal by Christmas, in line with Biden target

webfact

Fauci hopes for return to normal by Christmas, in line with Biden target

2021-02-18T210233Z_2_LYNXMPEH1H1PF_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-FAUCI.JPG

FILE PHOTO: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Anthony Fauci addresses the daily press briefing at the White House in Washington, U.S. January 21, 2021. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst/File Photo

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Top U.S. infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci on Thursday said that a post-pandemic return to "normal" could come by the end of the year, aligning his forecast with a Christmas target U.S. President Joe Biden set earlier this week.

Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), had guided Americans to the long-sought return to something approaching normal life in the early Autumn.

Speaking to MSNBC, Fauci said there are many factors - including the emergence of variants of the coronavirus that are more contagious - that will influence when Americans can return to activities that have been stopped by the pandemic.

Americans might be able to get back to below capacity theaters and indoor dining "somewhere between the fall and the end of the year" while something much closer to life before the pandemic would likely be "as the president said, by the end of the year, by Christmas," Fauci said. "Maybe you're going to still have to wear masks," he noted.

During a CNN town hall on Tuesday, Biden set Christmas as a time for a possible return to normal life.

Highly contagious virus variants could increase cases and interfere with the timeline, Fauci said, but added that he still hoped for a return to normal for the fall or winter.

(Reporting by Lisa Lambert and Caroline Humer; Editing by Bill Berkrot)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-02-19

9 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

He says 99 correct things and you dismiss him based on one comment, early in the pandemic, that was made as people were learning and when there was a shortage of masks so they were being set aside for medical staff.

Less Fox News and Brand New Tube for you. More evidence based news sites.

Dig deeper. There is a wealth of info out there. 

Edited by AndyFoxy
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Well at least now you'll be heard, Mr Fauci, not like with that last clown who was "running" the show and now spends his time dividing the disarrayed Republicans! :thumbsup: 

Fauci makes more money than the President of the USA and does nothing except say wear your mask and stay 6 ft away and wash your hands. But under Biden he said you should wear 2 mask. A very smart and rich man!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Fauci is an admitted liar:

Dr. Fauci Admits Feds Initially Misled About Face Masks: ‘Wanted to Make Sure Health Care Workers’ Had Enough

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/dr-fauci-admits-feds-initially-misled-about-face-masks-wanted-to-make-sure-health-care-workers-had-enough/ar-BB15A4kO

You’ve got a very strange idea of what constitutes lying and a liar.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

He says 99 correct things and you dismiss him based on one comment, early in the pandemic, that was made as people were learning and when there was a shortage of masks so they were being set aside for medical staff.

How do you know he says 99% correct things? I assume you are taking what he says as being true based on what you want to believe.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, upu2 said:

How do you know he says 99% correct things? I assume you are taking what he says as being true based on what you want to believe.

Based on the statements of one of the foremost experts on infectious diseases. Few are better. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Fauci is an admitted liar:

Dr. Fauci Admits Feds Initially Misled About Face Masks: ‘Wanted to Make Sure Health Care Workers’ Had Enough

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/dr-fauci-admits-feds-initially-misled-about-face-masks-wanted-to-make-sure-health-care-workers-had-enough/ar-BB15A4kO

Thanks for replying to my post. You normally just give me a confused face. 

It may be that on that particular occasion  that he may have felt the end justified the means i.e. he didn't want a mad rush on masks so early in the pandemic so he took steps to make sure health care workers had enough. It may not be black and white like that though - it may have been that the effectiveness of masks were not well known, but they may work, so it was best the  limited supply went to health workers. 

If, in giving 100's of hours of  excellent scientific advice over the last 12 months, the only criticism is that he took this action back in March, then it hardly could be considered a blemish on his excellent and trustworthy reputation.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

Based on the statements of one of the foremost experts on infectious diseases. Few are better. 

If they are virologists or very similar that is fine if not then they should not be expressing an optinion

10 hours ago, AndyFoxy said:

“You don’t need a mask” Fauci is like Tedros ....zero credibility. 

And your credentials as an physician-scientist and immunologist are what? Do you even have the slightest idea about it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Fauci

His qualifications are as follows.

Anthony Stephen Fauci is an American physician-scientist and immunologist serving as the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984 and chief medical advisor to President Joe Biden since 2021

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I totally disagree your excuse for the guy.

Mask shortage then how about recommend put something over your face.

A piece of cloth, scarf or even a paper towel home made mask.

His bogus advice on this probably cost thousands of lives.

Now he says wear 2 masks.  

The guy seems not credible at all I don't like him.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Yet you support and believe in a person who lied to the public over 20,xxx times in 4 years.

@ExpatOK you seem to be confused by my post yet did not reply to it.

You laughed at my previous post about Dr Fauci and that I asked what qualifications AndyFoxy has, yet seem confused when I suggested that Kelsall and others support a proven liar.

What is confusing you>

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's rather disingenuous to accuse Fauci of lying.  Covid was a new virus.  There was not good information on the specifics of how it spread.  As information was discovered, recommendations changed.  They are still changing.   

If you search on line, you'll find a host of information about which masks are effective and which are less-so.  You will find information and what combination of masks work best.   

As the virus mutates, there will be further adjustments to recommendations.   

Hopefully, the prediction of 'back to normal' is realistic.  I wonder if we are back to normal and Thanksgiving or have to wait until February, will he be accused of lying?

• Like 2