Thailand reports 92 new COVID-19 infections

rooster59

Thailand reports 92 new COVID-19 infections

download (2).jpg

Thailand reported 92 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, with most discovered during testing of migrant workers at quarantine facilities and hospitals in Samut Sakhon.

Of the new cases, 86 were local transmissions, while 6 were imported from people entering quarantine.

Thailand’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) also reported 156 people had been discharged from hospital having made a full recovery. 

1,047 people remain in hospital or held in a migrant worker quarantine centre.

Sunday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 25,415, with 83 deaths. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-21

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Amazing how some thaivisa miserables seem to hope for worse numbers. Things are good here try to be happy. 

What I find amazing is your assumptions in what my hopes are.  Did you notice I was pointing out the ratio between active case finding and people turning up at the hospital and testing positive. Do you find anything else amazing on that?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

38 pro active cases found and 48 hospital walk in cases, just about sums up the testing situation here in Thailand

And yet Thailand's ratio of cases to tests still remains low. The WHO recommends that countries maintain good testing ratios rather than carpet bomb testing. 

image.png.2a233af82262c38ab285e92b0e98a950.png

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid19-positive-rate-since-5th-death?time=2020-02-23..latest&country=~THA

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

It's a joke right ? Not enough testing of populace and no vaccine in the country ? 

At least, my gym was closed only 2 months here (over a one-year period); not 8/9 months like in most of Western countries...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, rabas said:

And yet Thailand's ratio of cases to tests still remains low. The WHO recommends that countries maintain good testing ratios rather than carpet bomb testing. 

image.png.2a233af82262c38ab285e92b0e98a950.png

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid19-positive-rate-since-5th-death?time=2020-02-23..latest&country=~THA

Using the same source of data, this appears to clearly show that during the past few days the reduction in testing numbers results in a reduction of positive cases.

tests thailand.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

What I find amazing is your assumptions in what my hopes are.  Did you notice I was pointing out the ratio between active case finding and people turning up at the hospital and testing positive. Do you find anything else amazing on that?

There has been speculation that the tests are fairly inaccurate (if the amplification is above 30x).

Therefore you might even test positive even if you don" have it !

5 hours ago, rabas said:

It does not show that at all if you read the graph correctly.

What it shows is that from the peak (far right) to Feb 12 (far left, bottom), the number of positive cases per test dropped from ~5% all the way to 1%.

This shows an 80% reduction in the number of infections in the population. (5 per 100 down to 1 per 100).  The is textbook epidemiology, you could use this Thai case for teaching.

To show what you wrongly suggested, the drop in cases must follow the 5% line from the right to the left towards the origin. It does not come close. In fact, this graph disproves the old tired saw that reduced cases is due to less testing. 

I hope some folks will feel relieved to know Thailand epidemiologists are running the show, not the concrete guy.

Let me try and make it easier for you

comparison.jpg

and for sure when the figures get updated the downward trend of tests will result in a downward trend in new cases.

Edited by meltonpie
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nout said:

If masks don't work why do surgeons wear them?

If masks works why did 4100 health care workers in Australia catch covid whilst working?That's out of 28,000 case which is abnormally high.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, meltonpie said:

Let me try and make it easier for you

comparison.jpg

and for sure when the figures get updated the downward trend of tests will result in a downward trend in new cases.

Thanks, but it's already easy!  I understand graphs very well. Lets go back to your first graph which shows why the number of cases drops. This is important as some wrongly say it's because they stop testing. It is not.

Look at the graph and understand the dashed lines, 2%, 5%, 10% show the percent of people testing positive, i.e., 5% means 5 of 100 in the tested population has covid.

If, cases are lower because of reduced testing, then 5 in 100 tests or 5% must still be positive.

They are not. Cases dropped all the way to 1% or 1 in 100. (see graph, red line maintains 5%).  Thus, this graph proves epidemiologically that reduced cases were not the result of reduced testing, counter to your original statement that they were.

image.png.5e9fc8831ba1c082038a7654db6ae855.pngGraph from your previous post.

Edited by rabas
  • Thanks 1