Can Immigration refuse future visa extensions if I decide never to do my 90 report again?

9 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

would be nice if someone could try it

it's nearly a full day's trip for me, plus the mental pain of going inside the office; both dealing with the officer and seeing someone you might know

better to pay 2000 baht

Why not do by post, TM47 + copies of passport and SAE, send EMS it only ever cost me 37 Baht total (incl SAE stamp) less than 150 Baht per year.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I lived in Thailand on an Elite visa, (a few years ago), I never did a 90-day report, because I have a personal distaste for officialdom, especially when it involves them knowing about me and my life!  I never got pulled up or fined.

Now I live in Laos and there's no 90-day report and no requirement to visit the immigration office ever!  My agent renews my business visa, WP and local ID card for me each year ????

Just now, SomchaiCNX said:

Is law or just a rule made up by immigration? If it is the law all countries should introduce the same thing for Thai people living abroad.

It is a law brought in/reinforced after certain violent acts in Thailand some years ago (go search)!

If you volunteer to live in a country and can leave it of your own free will then you have three choices;

1. Obey

2. Leave

3.  Suffer ALL the consequences of disobeying.

1 minute ago, fangless said:

It is a law brought in/reinforced after certain violent acts in Thailand some years ago (go search)!

You are wrong. It is in the immigration act that was done in 1979 and it has never been amended.

Same for TM30 reporting.

Just now, foreverlomsak said:

Why not do by post, TM47 + copies of passport and SAE, send EMS it only ever cost me 37 Baht total (incl SAE stamp) less than 150 Baht per year.

Why they just don;t stop with that nonsense? Would save a lot of money including the taxpayer and the immigration. It was reintroduced because an officer in Phuket was taking advantage of that rule many moons ago.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

You are wrong. It is in the immigration act that was done in 1979 and it has never been amended.

Same for TM30 reporting.

The Thai Government had their reasons and it IS the law of the land!

5 minutes ago, fangless said:

If you volunteer to live in a country and can leave it of your own free will then you have three choices;

1. Obey

2. Leave

3.  Suffer ALL the consequences of disobeying.

Absolutely nothing to do with safety it was reintroduced because an officer in HKT was taking advantage of it. Don't even think it is a law.  A lot of things changed at immigration since I moved here 30 years ago. And yes I followed every change, even they make no sense at all. But that does not mean it isn't a completely useless rule. Or you think criminals just report themselves every 90 days? They even don't know were there own criminals are hiding.

1 minute ago, WineOh said:

if the consequence of disobeying this ridiculous law is an annual 2,000 baht fine then I will disobey with great enthusiasm! 

The could fine you the maximum 5, 000 baht fine written in the immigration act.

"Section 76 : Any alien, alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(2),(3),(4)or(5) shall be
punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for
each day which passes until the law is complied with."

Section 37(5) is for 90 day reporting.

I don't recall them ever enforcing the 200 baht a day fine but if you were 100 days late that would be 20.000 baht more

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Same for TM30 reporting.

Yes, and that officer in HKT just took advantage instead of kicking his ass they reintroduced it for the whole country to safe face, I guess.

9 minutes ago, fangless said:

The Thai Government had their reasons and it IS the law of the land!

It's also still technically illegal in england to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow on a Sunday.

That law was passed in the 1200's but it is still the law of the land!

Can you see now how some laws are just plain old ridiculous and need changing? 

Just now, WineOh said:

It's also still technically illegal in england to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow on a Sunday.

That law was passed in the 1500's but it is still the law of the land!

Can you see now how some laws are just plain old ridiculous and need changing? 

Well, that seems a reasonable law, provided that I'm allowed to shoot Scotsmen on the other days of the week......

6 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Well, that seems a reasonable law, provided that I'm allowed to shoot Scotsmen on the other days of the week......

And of course the Scots will reciprocate every day in every way.

let us please stay on track on a very serious subject;   The Law of the Land (you are living in!)

Actively and deliberately breaking a well known law has no defence and those that do should quite rightly suffer the full force of that law in the country they have CHOSEN to live in.

Don't like the law. Bye Bye.  

37 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

At Phitsanulok, even the form is not needed. Walk in with passport, in the reader, print out slip (on half an A4, so half a sheet wasted) and it's done.

Never had a problem and quite enjoyed my trip over to Phitlok office for years, before they opened the one here, horrible office and attitude in my experience.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Same for TM30 reporting.

I am on so-called covid-19 extensions, every time I ask to do the 90 day report (and I have been here since February 2020)

my immigration office says it is not necessary "since you do not have a visa". This is Lamphun Immigration. 
I suppose I will be fined if I move to another province?

1 hour ago, userabcd said:

And don't forget that they will enter a stamp in your passport for the payment of the fine for the late report. In CW they do this and after a few of these filling up ones passport immigration may just be a little miffed if it becomes a regular infraction.

Just got my first red liner yesterday, after paying the fine. Don't want to get another. But yes, as others have pointed out, it is a seriously annoying waste of time and effort, and like so many things, completely and utterly pointless, and their systems are so archaic and completely mismanaged from an IT perspective. You cannot possibly rely on the system working when you need to do the report, and I've now tried all three options - online, app and in person. In person yesterday because I was late, having tried online and given up and forgotten about it. Even though my in person experience was not as awful as somebody else's earlier in the day, (who had to wait 2 hours, despite making an online appointment), it did necessitate a morning of prepping (photocopies, which were deemed unnecessary) and getting to and from, which involves cost and time. 

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Never understood WHY when completing online you dont need anything..

No uploads, no pictures,no passport image, nothing.

But in person, same computer system, you need copies of everything up the wazoo and a picture !

If its not needed for one, why oh why do you get all that BS on a manual submission.  TIT.

And not only that, when I handed over the requisite reams of paper, they were all handed back to me, un-reviewed, because, well obviously, they have all the requisite information in the passport.

40 minutes ago, simon43 said:

When I lived in Thailand on an Elite visa, (a few years ago), I never did a 90-day report, because I have a personal distaste for officialdom, especially when it involves them knowing about me and my life!  I never got pulled up or fined.

Now I live in Laos and there's no 90-day report and no requirement to visit the immigration office ever!  My agent renews my business visa, WP and local ID card for me each year ????

?  

The 90 day report is:

The purpose of 90-day reporting is to confirm your address and current status with Thai immigration.

That is wanting to know about you and your life?  

It is so simple and easy takes less then one minute at my local office they never ask me anything about me and my life.  

But, good for you as you do not have to do anything in Laos but of course, you hire an agent.

Would not be my choice at all huge huge downgrade from Thailand one of the poorest communist low 3rd world land locked countries in the world.

53 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Why they just don;t stop with that nonsense? Would save a lot of money including the taxpayer and the immigration. It was reintroduced because an officer in Phuket was taking advantage of that rule many moons ago.

Why would Immigration want to stop it, if they enhance it more junior officers would be required to manage it, more junior officers means more senior officers supervising, more senior officers means more Generals, and more prestige. Also the possibility of more brown envelopes.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Sign me up....I would be happy to forfeit 2k

Send me your details & the 2K ,  DrJack54.. ...I'll be streets ahead doing it, if I cant then, I'll get the local agent to do it for a few hundred baht.

PS...if you have any friends who are equally lethargic --add them to the list,

....Amazing, my monthly bar account has been solved.................:w00t:

2 hours ago, WineOh said:

Online reporting doesn't work for everyone, does it?

It does work except that the program is written by an amateur who don't bother to inform what we typed wrongly.

yes, the wrong data or wrong timing will give you the dreaded general message. 'go to immigration office'.

Thai govt should really hire a more professional software engineer.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

But in person, same computer system, you need copies of everything up the wazoo and a picture !

I don't understand CharlieH..... every office I have been to (& I have lived before it even came in) they add apiece of paper to your passport, which the next time they remove and add another dated piece. I have never taken anything other then my passport in for a 90 day check.

5 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I don't understand CharlieH..... every office I have been to (& I have lived before it even came in) they add apiece of paper to your passport, which the next time they remove and add another dated piece. I have never taken anything other then my passport in for a 90 day check.

I think it's best to anticipate that any IO will ask for something you have not prepared. If you have it, you're covered, if you don't, they may not process your documents. There is no guarantee about anything being required/not required and if the IO is in an intolerant mood, they will spice up their day by making life difficult for the applicant. (It's part of the job training!)

Archived