• Licensed nurse for a private hospital in a full time position
  • Has 710,000 THB saved in bank

Relationship status roughly 1 year 

Willing to fast track paper marry in Thailand to make it easier

Please let us know our options for moving

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Consider relying on your partner's job.

If your partner is a qualified nurse, then there is supposed to be an accelerated path to residency if she enters one of the  specified NHS  nurse fields where there is a critical shortage. 15% of NHS nurses are foreign trained. There are approx. 90,000  unfilled care positions across all staff groups, with critical shortages in mental health, senior care  and community health.  If your partner is able to meet the  UK certification requirement they may subsidize  and/or cover the costs. Medical staff are are highly desired immigrants.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If the OP is British (Otherwise than by Descent) the baby will be British wherever it is born.  The UK doesn't have birthright citizenship.

British by descent has drawbacks for the child.

And the lack of a British birth certificate is a problem now Consular birth certificates are no longer considered proof of British citizenship. I didn't know that when mine was born in Thailand, if I had another, I would want it born in the UK.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What are 'Consular birth certificates' ? Both my Thai-born lads have UK passports which were issued with nothing more than the required proof including their Thai birth certificates. I can't recall if I needed to provide evidence of still being married to their mum either. Have things changed?

The 1982 Births and Deaths Regulations which came into effect on 1 January 1983, provided for the registration of births at British Consulates and High Commissions of children who are British Citizens, British Dependent Territories Citizens, and British Overseas Citizens. Birth certificates issued under these regulations were historically accepted as evidence of a holder's claim to citizenship in their own right.

As of 01/09/2015 'consular birth certificates' issued for registrations after 01/01/1983 or certified copies of registrations of pre 01/01/1983 births issued after 01/01/2014 are no longer accepted by HM Passport Office as evidence of British Nationality or proof of personal/parental details for children born outside Her Majesty's Dominions since 01/01/1983. A foreign birth certificate as well as full evidence of a legitimate claim by decent must be provided as for any other birth overseas.

Edited by BritManToo

5 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Let's reign this in a bit.

@Stuart Foxcan you first of all give us a bit more information about yourself and your girlfriend, and why you wish to move to the UK "as fast as possible"?

Is your income UK based or Thailand based, do you have accomodation to live in the UK, all this will be part of her application, how far is she into her pregnancy, would she be able to travel when an if her application was approved?

You have a prove an income of £18,600 per year in the UK, there are different rules for an income from a non UK source, her income and savings are not part of the equation, do you have a job or income source in the UK?

You would have to be married, or have been living in a relationship akin to marriage for at least two years, she doesn't qualify as being in a substisting relationship for two years, so you would have to me married.

As well as an application fee of approximatley 66,000 Baht, a NHS Surcharge of £625 per year, payable in advance for 30 months, to cover any access for the NHS, she would also need to take a TB test and demonstrate her English speaking skill.

As others have indicated, Thailand has a pretty good record for childbirth and childcare, and if the father of the child is a UK National by birth, the child could still claim citizenship if the child was born here, though the childs decendants could encounter difficulties in later years in this respect. 

Yes I'm divorced(nice spot on my history haha). Regarding this question.

My job is secure and someone did make a valid point she is covered by the hospital that is very true. However, I believe I may be wrong about education system here in Thailand. Schooling would be much better for her/him in UK if I am correct? I understand UK rent prices would be a tad high however it is a good place to bring up a family.

I was planning on moving in with my family for one month then move out to a house as soon as possible if she is accepted into the UK. 

There is a lot NHS based jobs for my girlfriend as she is proficient in English her education is straight A's and degree's will show that to any employer so would be rather easy for her. 

I work online for a major game company in USA so i am fine and able to work anywhere in the world. I have been fine for 5-6 years. Again roughly making 4000-5000usd per month. 

• Like 1

Your (your girlfriend's) application is not straightforward.  Have you seen theoldgit's advice concerning your income ?  You need to meet one of the options for employment income - salaried income, non-salaried income, cash savings, etc.  Do you ? 

51 minutes ago, andygrr said:

Earning 4-5k USD a month for 5 or 6 years but have only managed to save 10k .

Is that net profit or gross revenue? Is it from a limited company or self employment?

Either way it sounds like your partner has some savings you could use towards the financial threshold and you have a good income but all the funds need to be/have been declared income (i.e. accounted for and taxed where applicable).

There are a lot of holes to fall down. You need to have a job, a home and show your income. You need to show that the size of the home is enough for 2 people. Take it from me it's not an easy journey. You must prove all these things. If you miss one it can be rejected. Processing times can be huge. 

Before Jan 1st this year it would have been so much easier. Just move to an EU country and get a job then the only thing you had to prove was you were married.

I am a Brit in Germany. My wife didn't need an appointment with the German embassy, she just showed with the marriage certificate at the Bangkok embassy, was whisked inside. There she was issued an immediate Schengen visa and we had the passport back in 3 days. On arrival in Germany we just went to the town hall and registered her as living here. took 10 minutes a with only the marriage certificate.  Then the day after we took her to get her 5 years resident card. that took 10 minutes too. No documents, language tests, certificates, bank statements, only the marriage certificate was needed. Then you use the Surinder Singh immigration route to get into the UK if you want to move there. The right for an EU citizen to return with his partner to their home country under the EU freedom of movement act.

The longest time was getting the validation from the Thai government in Bangkok that it was a genuine marriage certificate. ???? That took 8 weeks 

Unfortunately this easy way is closed for Brits now. It's a long road I'm afraid for you now and with COVID it's even longer.

Best advice is as stated here. stay in Thailand.

Edited by Muzzique
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

British by descent has drawbacks for the child.

And the lack of a British birth certificate is a problem now Consular birth certificates are no longer considered proof of British citizenship. I didn't know that when mine was born in Thailand, if I had another, I would want it born in the UK.

A UK passport is proof of British citizenship.  It can only be issued to British citizens. The only downside is that someone who is British By Descent cannot pass on their British citizenship to their children if they are born abroad.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

On 2/26/2021 at 7:57 AM, CharlieH said:

I am guessing they are going back for the baby to be born " British", Both with good jobs here I dont understand it otherwise either but the topic is not about " go or stay."

If the poster is a British citizen he will be able to get a passport for the child.

Its not a difficult process and the passport states the child is a British citizen.

He doesn’t need to move there neither does the child.

On 2/26/2021 at 2:16 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

If the OP is British (Otherwise than by Descent) the baby will be British wherever it is born.  The UK doesn't have birthright citizenship.

True; but if born outside the UK or a qualifying territory the child will be British by descent.

This means s/he will not be able to automatically pass their British citizenship onto their children unless those children are born in the UK or a qualifying territory.

On 2/26/2021 at 2:44 AM, Patong2021 said:

Consider relying on your partner's job.

If your partner is a qualified nurse, then there is supposed to be an accelerated path to residency if she enters one of the  specified NHS  nurse fields where there is a critical shortage. 15% of NHS nurses are foreign trained. There are approx. 90,000  unfilled care positions across all staff groups, with critical shortages in mental health, senior care  and community health.  If your partner is able to meet the  UK certification requirement they may subsidize  and/or cover the costs. Medical staff are are highly desired immigrants.

"If your partner is able to meet the  UK certification requirement." Not sure what you mean by this. Qualifications, or visa requirements?

For the visa she would first need a job offer from an approved UK employer with a sponsor licence. Obviously the NHS is such. To get this job offer her employer would, of course, have to recognise her qualifications.

See Health and Care Worker visa for full details.

Edited by 7by7
Addendum

On 2/26/2021 at 7:54 AM, Stuart Fox said:

I work online for a major game company in USA so i am fine and able to work anywhere in the world. I have been fine for 5-6 years. Again roughly making 4000-5000usd per month. 

Employed or self employed?

Either way, you will need to satisfy Appendix FM Section 1.7 Appendix

If employed, see "Salaried and non-salaried employment; Category A: With current employer for 6 months or more – overseas sponsor returning to the UK."

If self employed see "Self-employment as a sole trader, as a partner or in a franchise – requirements."

Either way, for this initial application only your income can be used.

If you and your partner have combined cash savings of at least £65,000 you can use these to satisfy the requirement. Cash savings above £16,000 can be used to reduce the amount of employed income required, but not self employed income. See "Cash savings" in the appendix.

Whichever option you use, you will need to supply the evidence specified in the appendix.

Edited by 7by7
Addendum

I would let the child be born in Thailand, then slowly plan to move back to the UK, if she wants, in none of your posts have you stated what she would like. Maybe her qualiifications will not be recognised in the UK, first sit down, discuss what you both want, and start to plan slowly, there is no rush, the baby might even be looked after by her parents like most Thai women do.

My daughter was born in Germany I want her to go into the UK Education system, but have not rushed our decision, we have planned for many years and now she is 4 the time is, in my opinion, right.

The poster who posted about moving to Europe, yes a good idea but too much paperwork, I know have lived in Germany with my Wife since 2013 she has an Article 20 Residence permit, could become German (I am, as you can tell British), but we will move back to the UK this year, but due to the UK leaving Europe a lot of things have changed, mostly regarding the type of Visa for my wife. Luckily enough my Daughter has a British Passport.

Edited by beano2274

On 2/26/2021 at 2:54 PM, Stuart Fox said:

Yes I'm divorced(nice spot on my history haha). Regarding this question.

My job is secure and someone did make a valid point she is covered by the hospital that is very true. However, I believe I may be wrong about education system here in Thailand. Schooling would be much better for her/him in UK if I am correct? I understand UK rent prices would be a tad high however it is a good place to bring up a family.

I was planning on moving in with my family for one month then move out to a house as soon as possible if she is accepted into the UK. 

There is a lot NHS based jobs for my girlfriend as she is proficient in English her education is straight A's and degree's will show that to any employer so would be rather easy for her. 

Careful there. Her nursing degrees might be worthless in the UK and she might have to get re-certified.