Are you happy with your Childs education?

MickeyMaow

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out earning a lot of money doesn't make many people happy.

Sooo true.  I was earning a lot more money before but the job was high pressure and I didn't have any quality of life. 

I moved to Thailand just before the lockdown and whilst I am earning a great deal less, my life has improved.  My job is less stressful with more autonomy, whilst I prefer living in Thailand to other countries I have lived in.  All countries have their + and -ves, no place is perfect.  The quality of education in TH is an issue and will continue to be so but it's not the only factor in life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Do you honestly think CM University in world class and going to afford your kid the luxury of starting salary of US $75,000+ a year? You would have to tell a bold face lie if you did.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier." ahahhaaa

reminds me of Home Alone! ????

22 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You don't seem to comprehend English very well?

I am from the USA, I am living in the USA.

I did spent 10+ continuous years in Thailand, after visiting many times in the 80's and 90's.

My caliber of advanced MS education (2) , commercial pilots license and over 35+ years in commercial aviation; which I am still working in the USA right now yet you claim a person of my caliber?....

I did raise a kid in the Thai education system. I did bring that child into the USA education. I, unlike you, have factual experience in both education systems, which you do not. He is 1/2 and 1/2 and Speaks English, Mandarin, Thai and Spanish. Do I spend all day bragging he is at the University of Florida, National Merit Honor Society, etc.? No I don't. But I will bet you anything when he graduates he will earn 10 times what your kids in Thailand will earn.

Dear old Dad will leave him a very healthy chunk when I kick off, because instead of F****** Off in Thailand, I plan to continue working for the big bucks as long as I can to give my family the best that I can. Love my job, love the educated people I work with, love the technology. Been working long enough for 6 weeks vacation, company holidays, etc. Have plenty of money to holiday anywhere we like, which isn't Thailand. So I do live a full life, very happy.

Wife and son will both have their very own excellent futures in the USA.

Do you honestly think CM University in world class and going to afford your kid the luxury of starting salary of US $75,000+ a year? You would have to tell a bold face lie if you did.

Never was in a fight one in my entire life in the USA. Never got scammed in the USA. Never 2 tier pricing in USA. Own a beautiful property in the USA. Our 19 rai farm in Thailand is in my wife's name. I couldn't own anything there.

Had the kid in Prem International School in Chiang Mai. Look up the tuition? Then understand this FACT? When he moved to the USA he was still a year behind his age group in education. FACT because been there and done that.

You don't seem to understand that you live in Thailand. You are not educated with an advanced US education. Anything you think you know you get from the news or online. Pretty straight forward fact. You can believe anything you want to believe. But the fact is, most of your braggadocio is just that. Going to Uni in Thailand is better than nothing at all. But on the world stage, that education is worthless outside of Thailand. Sorry that is a fact.

Ever wonder why Thailand censors so much news, that you never even get to see in Thailand? You think you get the whole story? You think you get the truth? Think again Bud, you get what they want you to get. The rest of world does not fall under the Lese Majeste law. You might be shocked to learn a few things about Thailand that is published in the news you never get a chance to learn from.

Not everyone trapped themselves in Thailand and has to tell themselves how great it is.

Sounds like you are doing a good job with your kids.

I have always taught my family there are 2 kinds of education. School (books) and the real world (what you see and learn with your own eyes). With the latter, a book education is only half an education. Are your kids world traveled? Much more to learn out there in the real world away from uncensored Thailand.

With over 90,000 employees in the Fortune 50 company I work at, there are ZERO Thai's working here. We have 1000's from India with advance computer science degree's. We have an advanced IT center in Bangalore, India with 10,000+ more employees. We have many Chinese PhD, Russian, South Korean, Taiwanese and Vietnamese. We have employees in 142 countries around the world. Our company even sponsor's a US Green Card for many of the educated from all the countries I listed.

So, if you want to question me and make a stupid comment of what caliber person I am? You can do that. You can believe what ever you want.

Doesn't make it true one bit.

You want want to talk yourself up here, but talk is talk.

That is what makes the forum so interesting.

I will be quite frank in my answering you on your reply and for where me and my family stand on education and matters for here. But with no disrespect is there anything else you feel the need to try to boast over being superior while living "in the USA?" Did you leave anything out that you care to additionally share on this forum that helps further validate your standing and high standard of living in the USA? 

My apologies as I do recall you saying something to another poster as "Not Me Mate" which oddly led me to picture you another way. . BTW. Even though my mum was Australian, I have never ever used that saying as it is out of place and context for an American to use. Anyway I do recall you had said something about Chicago about being dangerous but your home not, but I somehow missed your " I live in the USA now", and the wife and son will never move back to Thailand. My mistake as did not scan and see everything you wrote, but - to each his or her own for your own life, sorry to hear that for you. 

Seriously and again no offense, but let's call it by its real name as "Prem Titsulonanda" International school. The association to this person alone makes it a - would not touch it with a 6' pole. Reasons better left unsaid. Nice area and campus though, but I really do not think it is even close to the best ranked international school here in CM unless if your are trying to toot your horn about money spent. Not sure if that is money well spent especially what name it is built upon or just a joke. And for that matter with some of the CM Private Thai schools here, children can get a really decent or above decent education and this also enables your kid to grow up like a Thai kid in a real Thai atmosphere not missing out on that wonderful part of life feeling having both feet in not just the one foot +. There is something to be said for the kids having that 100% Thai comradery at an early and later age for growth development, but you may differ in opinion and not even know your kid missed out on something. No, you surely you will disagree, but that is your opinion.

Me, my wife and my kids personally feel that for them and how we followed up educating them thas been for the most part satisfactory for school life here even coming from a 100% CM Thai school compared to even a majority of the USA schools. You can throw some of the international schools into that mix as sometimes it all depends on how smart your child is, as you can lead a buffalo to water, but will it drink and blossom into a well rounded Brahma bull? 

It's all how and what you make of it and fill in for the voids. Sure nothing is perfect, but we made up for those short comings here, but also in the USA nothing is perfect as well. And I will 100% say that bullying and peer pressure is way far less here than in the USA. When is the last time you heard of a kid going to school with a gun and shooting every one up here? Correct. You haven't! Now technology schools and that gang moronic stuff is a different story.

So great for you and your son. You live in the Great ole USA right back where you started from being disillusioned, and your son is going to Florida state and is doing well. Congratulations. Yes all my kids also speak and write English very well, and this is from a Thai school education. Don't figure! For English why wouldn't they be on top of that as I have also watched over them as a native speaker who actually does know some grammar? My two daughters also speak and write a Chinese language, so what is your point? No Spanish for them as we don't live in an area full of Cubans or Latinos or Mexicans that make it an almost must or you would feel uncomfortable being only an English speaker, and besides English is almost becoming a secondary language in many areas in the USA now. That is just reality, but I do agree with being multilingual as is the best on all levels. I am sure Florida has its dangers all around you. No heaven there for sure.

Last I remember me and my family still live here in CM, and we have "The Full Nine Yards" you say you have, and everything is 100% fully paid for not having anything to pay except for schooling, food and the small things. Do you know where the saying the Full Nine Yards came from? It is American as apple pie and a great story for when Americans and America were at the top of its game. But those glory days are long over.

We have zero plans to move to the USA as are totally happy living here in our world. Nowhere is perfect, but in our eyes it is what we like and prefer and it is still everything I saw way back when. Not disillusioned, but we all will not like something's for where we live. That is inevitable.. I don't think I would be posting regular on this forum if I moved back to the USA. Actually only maybe a now and then looking at visa rules to stay in tune as I truly love Thailand, but I would feel sad not living here as this is where I want to be. So unless I get kicked out, I am not going anywhere until death.

I still do business in the USA as well, and keep the bulk of my money in US banks for safety. Not retired yet, don't' work for a fortune 500 company but do work with some, and I don't answer to anyone as am my own boss. And I am teaching and setting my kids up to have their own businesses as well. No slave to the grind answering to anyone for them if I can help it, and honestly $75000 - $100,000 + goes a longer way here than there, and it is relatively easy to make good money here. I could easily move back to the USA if I chose to, but I won't and do not need to, and the fact of the matter is the wife and kids have no desire to live there. Visit yes (as we did before this pandemic) and then come back home to lovely fun Thailand and our home.

Tell you the truth, the USA is really messed up and totally divided now and that is quite a shame. Probably will get even worse, and on the whole, people aren't always nice to each other. On a daily basis as in everyday, do you think you hear of how many shootings, rapes, humans trafficked and overall crimes are perpetrated there? Nope! If so listed one after the other for just one days worth, it would take you probably a week just to skim over them like a robot without taking a break. And you don't get the real news there as you think. Ever heard of Cambridge Analytica? Had a major impact in FB and Trump getting elected, but I bet you know about that and in depth as is a major tool used to dupe and brainwash sheep and herd the American people. It is a very very dangerous tool. Most Americans read one side or the other, meaning are you a FOX guy?, or the other side of the road guy?, or have common sense enough to try to read in-between both of the lines.. I tend to be in the middle when viewing with the taking of no sides but choosing the lessor of the evil and then in hopes things get better from there. The USA is not the cats meow in this day and age. Far from it.

No my kids are not quite world traveled out of Asian countries yet, but they have traveled all over California and some parts of Oregon seeing and experiencing really wonderful things. California if you do it right takes almost a 1/2 a life time to see all of the gems it has to offer. But the states politicians and idiotic people have driven it to the point of it makes no sense to live there unless you are filthy rich now. Fun to visit, but done with that and no thank you, I would rather have all the more money.

Actually my eldest daughter did live in Hawaii for a bit and also in Australia, but she is back to the motherland. There is no place like home! I guess we are too illiterate, savage and poor folk to know anything of anything. Huh?

That is an off the hook statement saying that about CMU. In the end, my kids are doing and have done quite well in school, and BTW, why don't you just look up the world ratings for both Universities. CMU is actually well respected and has a pretty good ranking in the world and rankings go up and down even for your coveted U of F. Again it all depends on intelligence and personality in the end and that means everything for the person.. FYI. I have friends who graduated from CMU and are quite brilliant and very rich and well off running their companies or living in other countries in GM positions making very very good salary. The degree is not useless toilette paper as you think, especially if you follow on that with a masters from USA or even Australia for how most Thai do it. You saying that is just purely ignorant. And just because your son does go to U of F, doesn't guarantee him to be a golden child and even be considered for employment. More to it than that. 

My kids will be fine, and the next step for them is they will go abroad for their Masters or do it online. They are Americans as well and can go there if they choose to, and money isn't such a big deal as is easy to make. And in the end Daddy always has their back, and Daddy is an experienced pretty well respected businessman in the food industry, and I hope they will follow and do something in the same area as well. Yep, food for the USA, and you have probably eaten some of the food I have set up and sent there at one time or two or the other.. Ya know, everyone always eats and wants food.

You are not better than me and my family, and I am not better than you and your family. But we sure tend to fully disagree and is better we just do not communicate. 

I do wish you well, but Thailand schools and Thailand is not as bad as you say, but here is a give and take as anywhere you are, and it all depends on what you make of it.

Good luck for your life in the USA. Been there, done that, and it is still open anytime I want it.

How is that for an ears worth! And you are correct talk is cheap, you can carry on if you want, no skin off my back. I will give you one thing, you are the king and winner of talking yourself up, but I can twist with the best of them. My nose is not growing any longer..

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My adult children in Thailand, are a lot happier than my adult children in the UK.

Inheriting a lot of money often just ends up being spent on drugs.

As for Indian employees, most companies just hire them because they're cheap.

In aviation, they tend to design software that flies aircraft into the ground.

No need to ask what calibre of person you are, we can see that from every post you make.

You still ended up living with a Thai women, same as all the rest of us.

You purchased 'take out', we're all 'eating in'.

If US $150,000+ a year (plus green card) is cheap for Indian Software Developers, Image what Caucasians must make?

Good point on the take out though.

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My adult children in Thailand, are a lot happier than my adult children in the UK.

Inheriting a lot of money often just ends up being spent on drugs.

As for Indian employees, most companies just hire them because they're cheap.

In aviation, they tend to design software that flies aircraft into the ground.

No need to ask what calibre of person you are, we can see that from every post you make.

You still ended up living with a Thai women, same as all the rest of us.

You purchased 'take out', we're all 'eating in'.

If US $150,000+ a year (plus green card) is cheap for Indian Software Developers, Image what Caucasians must make?

Good point on the take out though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

I will be quite frank in my answering you on your reply and for where me and my family stand on education and matters for here. But with no disrespect is there anything else you feel the need to try to boast over being superior while living "in the USA?" Did you leave anything out that you care to additionally share on this forum that helps further validate your standing and high standard of living in the USA? 

My apologies as I do recall you saying something to another poster as "Not Me Mate" which oddly led me to picture you another way. . BTW. Even though my mum was Australian, I have never ever used that saying as it is out of place and context for an American to use. Anyway I do recall you had said something about Chicago about being dangerous but your home not, but I somehow missed your " I live in the USA now", and the wife and son will never move back to Thailand. My mistake as did not scan and see everything you wrote, but - to each his or her own for your own life, sorry to hear that for you. 

Seriously and again no offense, but let's call it by its real name as "Prem Titsulonanda" International school. The association to this person alone makes it a - would not touch it with a 6' pole. Reasons better left unsaid. Nice area and campus though, but I really do not think it is even close to the best ranked international school here in CM unless if your are trying to toot your horn about money spent. Not sure if that is money well spent especially what name it is built upon or just a joke. And for that matter with some of the CM Private Thai schools here, children can get a really decent or above decent education and this also enables your kid to grow up like a Thai kid in a real Thai atmosphere not missing out on that wonderful part of life feeling having both feet in not just the one foot +. There is something to be said for the kids having that 100% Thai comradery at an early and later age for growth development, but you may differ in opinion and not even know your kid missed out on something. No, you surely you will disagree, but that is your opinion.

Me, my wife and my kids personally feel that for them and how we followed up educating them thas been for the most part satisfactory for school life here even coming from a 100% CM Thai school compared to even a majority of the USA schools. You can throw some of the international schools into that mix as sometimes it all depends on how smart your child is, as you can lead a buffalo to water, but will it drink and blossom into a well rounded Brahma bull? 

It's all how and what you make of it and fill in for the voids. Sure nothing is perfect, but we made up for those short comings here, but also in the USA nothing is perfect as well. And I will 100% say that bullying and peer pressure is way far less here than in the USA. When is the last time you heard of a kid going to school with a gun and shooting every one up here? Correct. You haven't! Now technology schools and that gang moronic stuff is a different story.

So great for you and your son. You live in the Great ole USA right back where you started from being disillusioned, and your son is going to Florida state and is doing well. Congratulations. Yes all my kids also speak and write English very well, and this is from a Thai school education. Don't figure! For English why wouldn't they be on top of that as I have also watched over them as a native speaker who actually does know some grammar? My two daughters also speak and write a Chinese language, so what is your point? No Spanish for them as we don't live in an area full of Cubans or Latinos or Mexicans that make it an almost must or you would feel uncomfortable being only an English speaker, and besides English is almost becoming a secondary language in many areas in the USA now. That is just reality, but I do agree with being multilingual as is the best on all levels. I am sure Florida has its dangers all around you. No heaven there for sure.

Last I remember me and my family still live here in CM, and we have "The Full Nine Yards" you say you have, and everything is 100% fully paid for not having anything to pay except for schooling, food and the small things. Do you know where the saying the Full Nine Yards came from? It is American as apple pie and a great story for when Americans and America were at the top of its game. But those glory days are long over.

We have zero plans to move to the USA as are totally happy living here in our world. Nowhere is perfect, but in our eyes it is what we like and prefer and it is still everything I saw way back when. Not disillusioned, but we all will not like something's for where we live. That is inevitable.. I don't think I would be posting regular on this forum if I moved back to the USA. Actually only maybe a now and then looking at visa rules to stay in tune as I truly love Thailand, but I would feel sad not living here as this is where I want to be. So unless I get kicked out, I am not going anywhere until death.

I still do business in the USA as well, and keep the bulk of my money in US banks for safety. Not retired yet, don't' work for a fortune 500 company but do work with some, and I don't answer to anyone as am my own boss. And I am teaching and setting my kids up to have their own businesses as well. No slave to the grind answering to anyone for them if I can help it, and honestly $75000 - $100,000 + goes a longer way here than there, and it is relatively easy to make good money here. I could easily move back to the USA if I chose to, but I won't and do not need to, and the fact of the matter is the wife and kids have no desire to live there. Visit yes (as we did before this pandemic) and then come back home to lovely fun Thailand and our home.

Tell you the truth, the USA is really messed up and totally divided now and that is quite a shame. Probably will get even worse, and on the whole, people aren't always nice to each other. On a daily basis as in everyday, do you think you hear of how many shootings, rapes, humans trafficked and overall crimes are perpetrated there? Nope! If so listed one after the other for just one days worth, it would take you probably a week just to skim over them like a robot without taking a break. And you don't get the real news there as you think. Ever heard of Cambridge Analytica? Had a major impact in FB and Trump getting elected, but I bet you know about that and in depth as is a major tool used to dupe and brainwash sheep and herd the American people. It is a very very dangerous tool. Most Americans read one side or the other, meaning are you a FOX guy?, or the other side of the road guy?, or have common sense enough to try to read in-between both of the lines.. I tend to be in the middle when viewing with the taking of no sides but choosing the lessor of the evil and then in hopes things get better from there. The USA is not the cats meow in this day and age. Far from it.

No my kids are not quite world traveled out of Asian countries yet, but they have traveled all over California and some parts of Oregon seeing and experiencing really wonderful things. California if you do it right takes almost a 1/2 a life time to see all of the gems it has to offer. But the states politicians and idiotic people have driven it to the point of it makes no sense to live there unless you are filthy rich now. Fun to visit, but done with that and no thank you, I would rather have all the more money.

Actually my eldest daughter did live in Hawaii for a bit and also in Australia, but she is back to the motherland. There is no place like home! I guess we are too illiterate, savage and poor folk to know anything of anything. Huh?

That is an off the hook statement saying that about CMU. In the end, my kids are doing and have done quite well in school, and BTW, why don't you just look up the world ratings for both Universities. CMU is actually well respected and has a pretty good ranking in the world and rankings go up and down even for your coveted U of F. Again it all depends on intelligence and personality in the end and that means everything for the person.. FYI. I have friends who graduated from CMU and are quite brilliant and very rich and well off running their companies or living in other countries in GM positions making very very good salary. The degree is not useless toilette paper as you think, especially if you follow on that with a masters from USA or even Australia for how most Thai do it. You saying that is just purely ignorant. And just because your son does go to U of F, doesn't guarantee him to be a golden child and even be considered for employment. More to it than that. 

My kids will be fine, and the next step for them is they will go abroad for their Masters or do it online. They are Americans as well and can go there if they choose to, and money isn't such a big deal as is easy to make. And in the end Daddy always has their back, and Daddy is an experienced pretty well respected businessman in the food industry, and I hope they will follow and do something in the same area as well. Yep, food for the USA, and you have probably eaten some of the food I have set up and sent there at one time or two or the other.. Ya know, everyone always eats and wants food.

You are not better than me and my family, and I am not better than you and your family. But we sure tend to fully disagree and is better we just do not communicate. 

I do wish you well, but Thailand schools and Thailand is not as bad as you say, but here is a give and take as anywhere you are, and it all depends on what you make of it.

Good luck for your life in the USA. Been there, done that, and it is still open anytime I want it.

How is that for an ears worth! And you are correct talk is cheap, you can carry on if you want, no skin off my back. I will give you one thing, you are the king and winner of talking yourself up, but I can twist with the best of them. My nose is not growing any longer..

Everyone has their own decisions to make and everyone has their own opinions as well.

Gen Prem was the right hand man of the King and is very well respected.

I am pretty sure you never met the man or have any idea about him?

The point was not about the school being the greatest, the point was that when people think their kids are getting the best education in Thailand, my experience is they are not; as evidenced by our son being a year behind when moving back to the USA.

If you plan to keep your kids in Thailand, I am sure any school will do.

The Thai hierarchy, 99% of the kids that graduate from anywhere will be starting out for a very low salary.  I am pretty sure you know it is more IMPORTANT who your family is and who your connections are, rather than how smart your kids are? Thailand doesn't merit people that way unfortunately.

Any large country has it's issues. Chicago being one of the murder capitols of the US. St. Louis is the worst. I don't live in large city for that and 100 reasons.

I am sure the same can be said about Thailand. There are some areas to stay away from, however, I was felt extremely safe in Isaan.

I don't have to work for $75/$100K so for me, money is never an issue. I can afford it. It basically all comes down to what a person can afford. I have been working from home for 1.5 years now and have the opportunity to do so forever. I could move back to Thailand and live large. I could move to Costa Rica as well as 100 other places. We all make the choices for what we think is best and what makes us happy.

Sure I can agree America as a whole is worse off than it has ever been. It all that foolish WOKE-ness ever bothered be personally, I would have no problem moving to another country, to which I have already given some thought. However, in Florida, we have a very forward thinking Governor, the economy was opened sooner than any other state, all mask mandates have been lifted and life is back to normal. Laws were passed for the activists blocking highways, rioting and other issues you see in Democratic controlled states where some folks use the idea of rioting to loot for their personal gain.

Tons of Thai people live in Florida. Thai temples, Thai restaurants, Thai groceries, Thai massage. I always wonder why so many want to move here from Thailand to live/act the exact same way they did in Thailand, but I guess you could ask many expats that? I think the difference here is Thai's have much better houses, cars, financial situation is much better affording them a life here that is not mired in poverty.

World Rankings have nothing to do with the decisions we make. You are right, each person has to make their own way regardless of the name on the diploma. My wife is finding out the hard way that NONE of her Thai education was accepted here and she had to start over from day 1. My son could have gone anywhere he chose. We let him pick all on his own. He is very happy there and excelling. Avid sports fan, likes attending games like football and baseball and the big sports environment. 

I can tell that you that you keep calling me ignorant in light of all the facts paints you as the ignorant one. Do you honestly think just because some one graduated from CM you will get accepted and pass entrance exams for US MS program? Don't tell me about your friends (how many succeeded you know 3 or 4 out of the millions that have graduated and are working for 15K baht a month?). Tell me when your kid gets accepted and is actually attending a US MS program. 

You would be surprised to learn how many Thai college graduates there are here working as waiters/waitresses for a reason. Like I said, WHEN your kid gets in a Masters Program, then you have some facts to talk about. Right now your opinion is not going to get them into anywhere.

I never said I was better than you, or my family is better than yours. While I deal with facts and actual experience, you talk about friends, and what you think with no actual experience. I am only sharing personal experience and facts. You will get those same facts as soon as you actually walk down the same path. Then you will truly learn if what you were thinking is correct, or if you hit some roadblocks on the way.

Once again, never said Thai schools were bad. I shared my experience what happened to our own kid, shared experience I find odd why we have no Thai's working in a Fortune 50 company with 10,000's of foreigners. 

I think you are a little confused. People talk themselves up when they are not truthful. I have tried to share one man's experience, nothing to do with talking myself up or anything. That is my life as I live it, and I truthfully explained that. Had I talked myself up, I am sure the CEO of Apple would be more impressive, some internet captured photos of some Lamborghini's in the drive of an ocean front mansion. I work just like everyone else. I make enough to have choices for me and my family. Nothing to do at all about talking anything up. I wear tee-shirts and flip-flops like everyone else.

Sooner or later you will send your own kids on their journey in life and hopefully you will report back the truth of how it all turned out.

Edited by bwpage3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

The Thai hierarchy, 99% of the kids that graduate from anywhere will be starting out for a very low salary.  I am pretty sure you know it is more IMPORTANT who your family is and who your connections are, rather than how smart your kids are? Thailand doesn't merit people that way unfortunately.

Q: Why do you want a salary?

A: So you can buy a house and support a family

Q: What salary do you need to buy a house and start a family?

A: In the USA $5,000/month, In Thailand 25,000bht/month

Q: How much does a degree cost?

A: In the USA $100,000, in Thailand 100,000Bht

Q: In which of those 2 countries can you buy a house with a mortgage 1 year after graduating from university?

A: Thailand.

So in the end Thailand effectively pays the highest wage, and you didn't leave university owing a fortune. My daughter just graduated after 4 years at CMRU, fees were around 16,000bht/year, expenses very little as she lived at home with us. She has no debt, but unfortunately no job because of COVID. I'm guessing the job market for new graduates in the USA ain't that good either at the moment.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Gen Prem was the right hand man of the King and is very well respected.

Because of the taboo-ness of this subject, it will not be discussed further.

I am sure the same can be said about Thailand. There are some areas to stay away from, however, I was felt extremely safe in Isaan.

Yeah maybe now but maybe only in the small towns or cities as from what I know nowadays from hands on visiting Experience.. Back in the day, almost maybe about over 30ish years ago when I was with another person in a rural area in Issan, when night came doors were shut and I was forbid to go out, and I agree that they were right. Issan is a wonderful place, but now I only visit in some areas for large projects regarding organics.

World Rankings have nothing to do with the decisions we make. You are right, each person has to make their own way regardless of the name on the diploma

The point is that you dumped on CMU and you are totally wrong. I am sure 101 basket weaving or barely passing grades for an engineer will not give any world wide entry to a foreign company, unless that particular person is a genius in some aspect of that coveted needed field. One of the main problem with Thai Grads is probably their inability for at best having acceptable spoken and written English skills. This is one of the main barrier walls. Intelligence, command of your major and great personality are other key factors for success, and plainly speaking only to work in the USA does not make you a success. Success is everywhere and be achieved anywhere.

FYI. Most Thai grads will seemingly never even go into the field they studied, but on a positive note that degree opens up other doors in other fields here because they went the extra mile to have a degree..

The Thai hierarchy, 99% of the kids that graduate from anywhere will be starting out for a very low salary.  I am pretty sure you know it is more IMPORTANT who your family is and who your connections are, rather than how smart your kids are?

That is sort of a regurgitated generalized misconception, and someone if is really not smart, no matter how much help they will fall for the most part. There is nothing here as we will leave no connected person behind, but if the family is already wealthy then they are just a tag along. I know a lot of factory owners here, and it is just unbelievable that a couple of them have a son or two so useless and arrogant who walks around like the emperor with no clothes on saying "It is my factory". So far from the truth except for being a family member. Everyone just tolerates them and the real intelligent stuff comes from other really intelligent capable siblings, the hired help, or the real founders. 

Actually for here if you did or didn't know, being an alumni of certain institution gives you direct access to many of other alumni graduates help and cooperation in other business areas. So it is not who you know but who you are connected to in a sense, and it gives a totally different meaning for who you know for how you are thinking. There is a code and closeness that binds them together and is may I say used as an advantage in Thai businesses here whether the business is small - medium or even large, but you have to be smart. Brothers and Sisters for life. Now next,  if you have a really good friend or best friend from another institution, then that adds more possibilities and can be used to cross each other areas sort of like networking..

Not like in the US for where (example) you may be at some sort of a function and amazingly come across another alumni member, have a secret school handshake, sing the alma mater song, do the walk in circle dance, and then afterwards you all go on your merry way home and have nada to never see each other again. For here in Thailand it is not the same. This is a benefit of Universities here.

Tons of Thai people live in Florida. Thai temples, Thai restaurants, Thai groceries, Thai massage. I always wonder why so many want to move here from Thailand to live/act the exact same way they did in Thailand, but I guess you could ask many expats that? I think the difference here is Thai's have much better houses, cars, financial situation is much better affording them a life here that is not mired in poverty.

Care to rethink that again? A successful business is a successful business no matter what it is, and to do that is having some luck with experience and hard work. Some businesses there nowadays are doing just ok or just barely holding on and staying afloat. Does this having a business take them above poverty?, or are they just in a sense still trapped in a rude USA rat race with no extra comfort? Who knows. But for many of businesses the pandemic is the kiss of death.

Yes for sure, some live and act the same over there as they would be at home, and yes some foreigner expats do exactly the same here as they did in their own countries having nothing that really changed. Only difference is a different place. So what is your point and how does it concern you? Here for me is perfect as this is central ground for South East Asia and for what I do. Not just about Thailand.. That is before CV-19 hit for travel.

So you consider Thai people in Thailand are mired and bound to living in poverty? And if they go to the USA they are awarded the holy grail golden key of owning a car, home and all the other American right of freedom amenities of passage that go with it? Care to rethink that generalization over again?

Over all the quality of all around life in my eyes is better here when you combine it with how lovely Thai people are compared to how ugly Americans can be. That is my observation and feeling. For me I live a very comfortable life here. But let's just leave it at that as do not need to state what I actually have in materialistic comfort and tell you how big and long my .... is.

I knew quite a few Thai in the Bay Area San Francisco area, and many were saving for their future to eventually go back and live and do something else, or retire in their birthplace of Thailand. Not all or should say not so many are so enamored with the USA. Probably most are not.

I am really surprised at how you are prone to incorrectly generalize most things on many subjects when the case is so far from reality as circumstances widely vary.

I don't have to work for $75/$100K so for me, money is never an issue. I can afford it. It basically all comes down to what a person can afford. I have been working from home for 1.5 years now and have the opportunity to do so forever. I could move back to Thailand and live large. I could move to Costa Rica as well as 100 other places. We all make the choices for what we think is best and what makes us happy.

Huh? Same for me as well as I manage all my affairs from my private desk. Yeah, I have had a couple of businesses here before that all pertain to the same category for what I am into now, and am currently in talks for making a new venture with an owner of Thai factory who is my best Thai friend. I personally like to stay busy. I have already moved to the place I desire and my life is here (Thailand). No need to look anywhere else and learning another language unless I am forced to. Yes you are correct, Thailand does have some uncertainties.

Nice to hear you are set, and I will leave it at that.

You would be surprised to learn how many Thai college graduates there are here working as waiters/waitresses for a reason. Like I said, WHEN your kid gets in a Masters Program, then you have some facts to talk about. Right now your opinion is not going to get them into anywhere.

Ok. If you are so wise and knowledgeable, please tell of the real reason of what and the why each of these Thai people are taking up such menial trivial jobs to survive. For me I don't hink so bad. I bet a majority of them have a secondary plan for the near distant future. Whether that works out for them or not is not the point and as you do not really know the why you should judge or harp on their education for how literate or savvy they are or are not. Are they really nonperforming as human beings in your mind? They might actually be smarter than you but took a different path.. Plainly working in a fortune 500 company is not all that for everyone and is not so glorified. 

So same same for your opinion on your son's future coming from a prestigious public university. Until he has succeeded in life as you dream then there is no grounds to cry he is a winner as well. But I wish him good luck.

Your statement for Thai people and my kids is bordering on condescending. Again, I know lots of Thai graduates who have went on to get their Masters from either Australia or the USA as is not that uncommon. And several of them went to CMU! So learning is what each individual makes of it, and CMU is a fine institution for the most part. I would leave the snobbery out of this conversation.

I can tell that you that you keep calling me ignorant in light of all the facts paints you as the ignorant one. Do you honestly think just because some one graduated from CM you will get accepted and pass entrance exams for US MS program? Don't tell me about your friends (how many succeeded you know 3 or 4 out of the millions that have graduated and are working for 15K baht a month?). Tell me when your kid gets accepted and is actually attending a US MS program. 

I think this is a scenario of you the pot saying the kettle is black. Point the finger back at yourself when you look in the mirror. I think in a sense you seriously may look down on Thai, and there you go again about CMU. Did I say everyone?????? And don't think superior that everyone who graduates from U of F or in the USA will be successful and for that matter be able to get accepted into an Masters program as well. Don't be self absorbed in your own predisposed thoughts!

English is a major breaking point for many of Thai students, but then have many who can gradually adapt and succeed and get better in English after being accepted. I think for example the U of Chicago is one prime example of accepting oodles of aspiring go getter Thai to get masters in the USA, and so many get accepted and go into it not quite up to par in spoken and written English, but they do qualify on an academic level, and this is from being educated in Thailand from a Thai school.. They at the U of Chicago will have support from the Thai Student Association. And BTW, it is pass or fail there and not a free a push with a pass. Not a diploma mill eh?

See below as am addressing this again. 

14 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

World Rankings have nothing to do with the decisions we make. You are right, each person has to make their own way regardless of the name on the diploma. My wife is finding out the hard way that NONE of her Thai education was accepted here and she had to start over from day 1. My son could have gone anywhere he chose. We let him pick all on his own. He is very happy there and excelling. Avid sports fan, likes attending games like football and baseball and the big sports environment. 

Correct. But CMU is in fact worldly accepted but from your thinking it is a disgrace and the degree not worthy of the paper it is printed on.

Minority. Some of the worlds wealthiest and most successful brilliant people never went to University or finished grade school. But if they did they probably could have went to say like a University in Nigeria or the Congo and would have came out with a degree and then went on to be accepted into a Masters program and then probably on to a PHD program. Why, because their smarts got them everywhere, not heir education.

Your statements are again a bit biased as seems you are race character profiling........ Fact is most Thai will go on to doing something completely different from what they studied and will be quite alright in life. If you want to categorize things this way, then let's look at the population of the USA and how many are stuck at poverty or just above poverty level or even they make good money but the hardship could be based on where they live as the area has over run them in affordability and sustainment leaving them at a  poverty level just like you say 15000 baht is here being a mockery.. Low wage to low wage Thailand is is more attractive all around as a better way of life, better country to live in because of the better people.

Probably realistically the USA has far too many Americans that did go to school and graduate but the educational system failed them, and now they are lucky to be filliping burgers..

What amount of money per month made in the USA do you look down on them as the same you are looking down on the good Thai people? Curious.

I think you really need to take a better look again because you opinions seem very off base. Curious, did your wife apply for a fortune 500 company position or senior flipping burger position? Did she graduate from Prathom or Maythayom or University? I think you made a reference to Issan did you not? But curious to how far that relates to her Thai education and schooling and is that where you have solemnly drawn your knowledge from. No offense intended.

I never said I was better than you, or my family is better than yours. While I deal with facts and actual experience, you talk about friends, and what you think with no actual experience. I am only sharing personal experience and facts. You will get those same facts as soon as you actually walk down the same path. Then you will truly learn if what you were thinking is correct, or if you hit some roadblocks on the way.

There you go trying to toot your egotistical horn again walking on water. Your facts are sounding and pointing to hearsay having no real basis. Why are mine false while yours real and true? Hogwash. Experience? Really? Surely you jest. It is more than just a handful for who I know and whom I  have dealt with and deal with for over a long long time my friend. Experience? You don't know me and what I do or what level I am at and then you have the flagrant audacity to say everything I say and state is contrived and made up and you know it all? Listen bud, your industry is totally different from my industry so your rhetoric in regards to saying your industry, real knowledge with a listen to me as I know all and best is actually quite amusing.

Once again, never said Thai schools were bad. I shared my experience what happened to our own kid, shared experience I find odd why we have no Thai's working in a Fortune 50 company with 10,000's of foreigners. 

Ummmm? There you go again. There is more to the world than fortune 500 companies. Irrelevant.

I think you are a little confused. People talk themselves up when they are not truthful. I have tried to share one man's experience, nothing to do with talking myself up or anything. That is my life as I live it, and I truthfully explained that. Had I talked myself up, I am sure the CEO of Apple would be more impressive, some internet captured photos of some Lamborghini's in the drive of an ocean front mansion. I work just like everyone else. I make enough to have choices for me and my family. Nothing to do at all about talking anything up. I wear tee-shirts and flip-flops like everyone else.

Yes you have shared some or your experiences in why you are so great and knowledgeable and why you moved back to the USA disillusioned and have your son in the USA educational system and that the USA is not all that dangerous compared to Thailand, and that why most Thai who graduate university will make 15,000 baht per month at best or to start while all Americans who graduate university are far superior and will make booko-bucks and be so much ahead of the curb and happier than Thai. Please hold while I try to muster up an applause for you. Please spare me your rhetoric.

You did not like your son in Thai schools, and maybe for another reason other than that excuse is why you went back to the USA. What I have found from experience from working with individuals here is that some Thai graduates may not be overly worldly knowledgeable or even passed 60% +/- of their University classes, but what they did take was a special interest in some subject matter studied and they excelled and are masters in that particular area. So on the paper transcript level they look terrible, but in the actual field they are exceptionally above average and you would want them to be on your team.

Sooner or later you will send your own kids on their journey in life and hopefully you will report back the truth of how it all turned out.

There you go again bordering on slander in a condescending in manner.

So for the subject title of this Topic, I will now wrap it up as this back and forth on and off topic squabble is going nowhere and getting tedious and extremely boring..

Fact is Thai schools are what you make of them and my kids have faired pretty darn well so far. They were not in Temple or Public schools. Good for you that you packed your bags and moved back to your USA utopia and your wife and kid have no desire to ever live here again. Again good luck to your son.

We have had some ups and downs in Thai schools same as just like any school even in the USA has. In general my kids schools could have been a little better in some areas, but I am satisfied that my kids are happy and so far have done quite well being well above the average curve. But truthfully there were extra studies to get them there at that higher level.

Schools. Fact is the Thai are far friendlier as kids in schools on the whole than in USA schools when considering the high level of bullying and peer pressure ingrained in the kids brains for in the USA.

Fact is some universities in Thailand are widely acceptable and more than fine on the world stage, but it is the merits of each student that brings his or her outcome of what will bring them in life. If all you have to throw out here is why Thais are not in any fortune 500 companies that you know of, then please just go away.

I have 3 kids you have 1 and each kid hopefully will have a opportunity and great life that we help them reach.

Again, we have different lives, different experiences, but please do not pop off you are all that and then say you don't talk up a story and everything you say is the word everyone should follow as the real truth and that I am full of it. If I actually did divulge (but I won't) my experiences and who I know and what I do on the whole, and for that matter who my brother is in the United States and what he does, you would probably choke. Especially who my brother is. But sorry, that is personal and I do not need to prove anything to you.

Stay in the USA and help your son to be the next someone of something big. That would be a good thing.

Of course you will probably react to this post, but honestly I am past done with you and this squabble going no where, and don't be surprised if I just leave it at this if it ends reasonable...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Because of the taboo-ness of this subject, it will not be discussed further.

Yeah maybe now but maybe only in the small towns or cities as from what I know nowadays from hands on visiting Experience.. Back in the day, almost maybe about over 30ish years ago when I was with another person in a rural area in Issan, when night came doors were shut and I was forbid to go out, and I agree that they were right. Issan is a wonderful place, but now I only visit in some areas for large projects regarding organics.

The point is that you dumped on CMU and you are totally wrong. I am sure 101 basket weaving or barely passing grades for an engineer will not give any world wide entry to a foreign company, unless that particular person is a genius in some aspect of that coveted needed field. One of the main problem with Thai Grads is probably their inability for at best having acceptable spoken and written English skills. This is one of the main barrier walls. Intelligence, command of your major and great personality are other key factors for success, and plainly speaking only to work in the USA does not make you a success. Success is everywhere and be achieved anywhere.

FYI. Most Thai grads will seemingly never even go into the field they studied, but on a positive note that degree opens up other doors in other fields here because they went the extra mile to have a degree..

That is sort of a regurgitated generalized misconception, and someone if is really not smart, no matter how much help they will fall for the most part. There is nothing here as we will leave no connected person behind, but if the family is already wealthy then they are just a tag along. I know a lot of factory owners here, and it is just unbelievable that a couple of them have a son or two so useless and arrogant who walks around like the emperor with no clothes on saying "It is my factory". So far from the truth except for being a family member. Everyone just tolerates them and the real intelligent stuff comes from other really intelligent capable siblings, the hired help, or the real founders. 

Actually for here if you did or didn't know, being an alumni of certain institution gives you direct access to many of other alumni graduates help and cooperation in other business areas. So it is not who you know but who you are connected to in a sense, and it gives a totally different meaning for who you know for how you are thinking. There is a code and closeness that binds them together and is may I say used as an advantage in Thai businesses here whether the business is small - medium or even large, but you have to be smart. Brothers and Sisters for life. Now next,  if you have a really good friend or best friend from another institution, then that adds more possibilities and can be used to cross each other areas sort of like networking..

Not like in the US for where (example) you may be at some sort of a function and amazingly come across another alumni member, have a secret school handshake, sing the alma mater song, do the walk in circle dance, and then afterwards you all go on your merry way home and have nada to never see each other again. For here in Thailand it is not the same. This is a benefit of Universities here.

Care to rethink that again? A successful business is a successful business no matter what it is, and to do that is having some luck with experience and hard work. Some businesses there nowadays are doing just ok or just barely holding on and staying afloat. Does this having a business take them above poverty?, or are they just in a sense still trapped in a rude USA rat race with no extra comfort? Who knows. But for many of businesses the pandemic is the kiss of death.

Yes for sure, some live and act the same over there as they would be at home, and yes some foreigner expats do exactly the same here as they did in their own countries having nothing that really changed. Only difference is a different place. So what is your point and how does it concern you? Here for me is perfect as this is central ground for South East Asia and for what I do. Not just about Thailand.. That is before CV-19 hit for travel.

So you consider Thai people in Thailand are mired and bound to living in poverty? And if they go to the USA they are awarded the holy grail golden key of owning a car, home and all the other American right of freedom amenities of passage that go with it? Care to rethink that generalization over again?

Over all the quality of all around life in my eyes is better here when you combine it with how lovely Thai people are compared to how ugly Americans can be. That is my observation and feeling. For me I live a very comfortable life here. But let's just leave it at that as do not need to state what I actually have in materialistic comfort and tell you how big and long my .... is.

I knew quite a few Thai in the Bay Area San Francisco area, and many were saving for their future to eventually go back and live and do something else, or retire in their birthplace of Thailand. Not all or should say not so many are so enamored with the USA. Probably most are not.

I am really surprised at how you are prone to incorrectly generalize most things on many subjects when the case is so far from reality as circumstances widely vary.

Huh? Same for me as well as I manage all my affairs from my private desk. Yeah, I have had a couple of businesses here before that all pertain to the same category for what I am into now, and am currently in talks for making a new venture with an owner of Thai factory who is my best Thai friend. I personally like to stay busy. I have already moved to the place I desire and my life is here (Thailand). No need to look anywhere else and learning another language unless I am forced to. Yes you are correct, Thailand does have some uncertainties.

Nice to hear you are set, and I will leave it at that.

Ok. If you are so wise and knowledgeable, please tell of the real reason of what and the why each of these Thai people are taking up such menial trivial jobs to survive. For me I don't hink so bad. I bet a majority of them have a secondary plan for the near distant future. Whether that works out for them or not is not the point and as you do not really know the why you should judge or harp on their education for how literate or savvy they are or are not. Are they really nonperforming as human beings in your mind? They might actually be smarter than you but took a different path.. Plainly working in a fortune 500 company is not all that for everyone and is not so glorified. 

So same same for your opinion on your son's future coming from a prestigious public university. Until he has succeeded in life as you dream then there is no grounds to cry he is a winner as well. But I wish him good luck.

Your statement for Thai people and my kids is bordering on condescending. Again, I know lots of Thai graduates who have went on to get their Masters from either Australia or the USA as is not that uncommon. And several of them went to CMU! So learning is what each individual makes of it, and CMU is a fine institution for the most part. I would leave the snobbery out of this conversation.

I think this is a scenario of you the pot saying the kettle is black. Point the finger back at yourself when you look in the mirror. I think in a sense you seriously may look down on Thai, and there you go again about CMU. Did I say everyone?????? And don't think superior that everyone who graduates from U of F or in the USA will be successful and for that matter be able to get accepted into an Masters program as well. Don't be self absorbed in your own predisposed thoughts!

English is a major breaking point for many of Thai students, but then have many who can gradually adapt and succeed and get better in English after being accepted. I think for example the U of Chicago is one prime example of accepting oodles of aspiring go getter Thai to get masters in the USA, and so many get accepted and go into it not quite up to par in spoken and written English, but they do qualify on an academic level, and this is from being educated in Thailand from a Thai school.. They at the U of Chicago will have support from the Thai Student Association. And BTW, it is pass or fail there and not a free a push with a pass. Not a diploma mill eh?

See below as am addressing this again. 

Correct. But CMU is in fact worldly accepted but from your thinking it is a disgrace and the degree not worthy of the paper it is printed on.

Minority. Some of the worlds wealthiest and most successful brilliant people never went to University or finished grade school. But if they did they probably could have went to say like a University in Nigeria or the Congo and would have came out with a degree and then went on to be accepted into a Masters program and then probably on to a PHD program. Why, because their smarts got them everywhere, not heir education.

Your statements are again a bit biased as seems you are race character profiling........ Fact is most Thai will go on to doing something completely different from what they studied and will be quite alright in life. If you want to categorize things this way, then let's look at the population of the USA and how many are stuck at poverty or just above poverty level or even they make good money but the hardship could be based on where they live as the area has over run them in affordability and sustainment leaving them at a  poverty level just like you say 15000 baht is here being a mockery.. Low wage to low wage Thailand is is more attractive all around as a better way of life, better country to live in because of the better people.

Probably realistically the USA has far too many Americans that did go to school and graduate but the educational system failed them, and now they are lucky to be filliping burgers..

What amount of money per month made in the USA do you look down on them as the same you are looking down on the good Thai people? Curious.

I think you really need to take a better look again because you opinions seem very off base. Curious, did your wife apply for a fortune 500 company position or senior flipping burger position? Did she graduate from Prathom or Maythayom or University? I think you made a reference to Issan did you not? But curious to how far that relates to her Thai education and schooling and is that where you have solemnly drawn your knowledge from. No offense intended.

There you go trying to toot your egotistical horn again walking on water. Your facts are sounding and pointing to hearsay having no real basis. Why are mine false while yours real and true? Hogwash. Experience? Really? Surely you jest. It is more than just a handful for who I know and whom I  have dealt with and deal with for over a long long time my friend. Experience? You don't know me and what I do or what level I am at and then you have the flagrant audacity to say everything I say and state is contrived and made up and you know it all? Listen bud, your industry is totally different from my industry so your rhetoric in regards to saying your industry, real knowledge with a listen to me as I know all and best is actually quite amusing.

Ummmm? There you go again. There is more to the world than fortune 500 companies. Irrelevant.

Yes you have shared some or your experiences in why you are so great and knowledgeable and why you moved back to the USA disillusioned and have your son in the USA educational system and that the USA is not all that dangerous compared to Thailand, and that why most Thai who graduate university will make 15,000 baht per month at best or to start while all Americans who graduate university are far superior and will make booko-bucks and be so much ahead of the curb and happier than Thai. Please hold while I try to muster up an applause for you. Please spare me your rhetoric.

You did not like your son in Thai schools, and maybe for another reason other than that excuse is why you went back to the USA. What I have found from experience from working with individuals here is that some Thai graduates may not be overly worldly knowledgeable or even passed 60% +/- of their University classes, but what they did take was a special interest in some subject matter studied and they excelled and are masters in that particular area. So on the paper transcript level they look terrible, but in the actual field they are exceptionally above average and you would want them to be on your team.

There you go again bordering on slander in a condescending in manner.

So for the subject title of this Topic, I will now wrap it up as this back and forth on and off topic squabble is going nowhere and getting tedious and extremely boring..

Fact is Thai schools are what you make of them and my kids have faired pretty darn well so far. They were not in Temple or Public schools. Good for you that you packed your bags and moved back to your USA utopia and your wife and kid have no desire to ever live here again. Again good luck to your son.

We have had some ups and downs in Thai schools same as just like any school even in the USA has. In general my kids schools could have been a little better in some areas, but I am satisfied that my kids are happy and so far have done quite well being well above the average curve. But truthfully there were extra studies to get them there at that higher level.

Schools. Fact is the Thai are far friendlier as kids in schools on the whole than in USA schools when considering the high level of bullying and peer pressure ingrained in the kids brains for in the USA.

Fact is some universities in Thailand are widely acceptable and more than fine on the world stage, but it is the merits of each student that brings his or her outcome of what will bring them in life. If all you have to throw out here is why Thais are not in any fortune 500 companies that you know of, then please just go away.

I have 3 kids you have 1 and each kid hopefully will have a opportunity and great life that we help them reach.

Again, we have different lives, different experiences, but please do not pop off you are all that and then say you don't talk up a story and everything you say is the word everyone should follow as the real truth and that I am full of it. If I actually did divulge (but I won't) my experiences and who I know and what I do on the whole, and for that matter who my brother is in the United States and what he does, you would probably choke. Especially who my brother is. But sorry, that is personal and I do not need to prove anything to you.

Stay in the USA and help your son to be the next someone of something big. That would be a good thing.

Of course you will probably react to this post, but honestly I am past done with you and this squabble going no where, and don't be surprised if I just leave it at this if it ends reasonable...

You do a lot of comparisons with absolutely zero facts.

Here is one of your quotes "Thai are far friendlier as kids in schools". I guess you never read how many Thai Vo-Tech students kill each other each year just because of feuds between schools that have been happening for 20+ years. Yet you try to generalize that all is well everything, which it isn't. You generalize only the good YOU see.

If you don't think the average American college graduate makes more than the average Thai graduate by a lot, keep dreaming. Show me 1 American College Graduate starting at 15,000 baht a month? You can find a million in Thailand. FACT. 15,000 baht a month is against the law in the USA.

I suspect you write these long, long, long diatribes because you are trying to convince yourself? Seriously. You sensationalize and generalize every comment you make around 1 or 2 people you know and not the other 60,000,000 living in Thailand.

"Fact is some universities in Thailand are widely acceptable and more than fine on the world stage" no facts what so ever. You don't get it do you? You have to keep telling yourself things to justify your position that everything is wonderful. 

Do you honestly think every Thai graduate in Thailand makes a decent living to afford their own house, car, etc. What percent would you take a guess?

I think you ended up in Thailand for a reason. CMU is what you can afford. Leave it at that. You are paying $500 to $600 US for a semester, which is the same as the cost for 1 semester in the USA for just books. https://www.science.cmu.ac.th/english/tuition-and-fee.php

Do you think $500 a semester buys you a world class education anywhere in the world like you stated with no facts?

Harvard University is $US 25,000 a semester? Any idea why? 

I think you pretty much have a track record of believing what you want, short of any facts. Numerous occasions pointed out to you where you are absolutely wrong and you still ramble on and on and on.

Please do show us, how a CMU alumni helps your kids get a decent salary above all the other CMY graduates, when ever that happens.

And if they are stuck in Thailand after graduating, have the nuts to post a real paycheck stub from your kids to prove you were right all long.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Q: Why do you want a salary?

A: So you can buy a house and support a family

Q: What salary do you need to buy a house and start a family?

A: In the USA $5,000/month, In Thailand 25,000bht/month

Q: How much does a degree cost?

A: In the USA $100,000, in Thailand 100,000Bht

Q: In which of those 2 countries can you buy a house with a mortgage 1 year after graduating from university?

A: Thailand.

So in the end Thailand effectively pays the highest wage, and you didn't leave university owing a fortune. My daughter just graduated after 4 years at CMRU, fees were around 16,000bht/year, expenses very little as she lived at home with us. She has no debt, but unfortunately no job because of COVID. I'm guessing the job market for new graduates in the USA ain't that good either at the moment.

Read the news. In the US many having a hard time filling 1000's of open positions right now.

New residential building in my area is at a record high. Houses sell in a week or less. Over 10,000 new houses being built in 1 county alone.

How many Thai graduates can afford a house and a car?

How many Thai graduates start at 25,000 a month? All of them? Averaging starting salary is 15K a month for the majority

Sure degrees cost less in Thailand. A Thai education is good for Thailand, no where else. 

Your kid lived at home with you and missed the entire college experience of living on campus. Sad.

I am pretty sure unless you bought the absolutely cheapest house and car, 25K baht wouldn't cut it. How about presenting some payment numbers?

House Payment

House Insurance

Car Payment

Car insurance

Car Maintenance

Clothes

Personal Hygiene/Haircuts

Gas

Food

Water Bill

Electric Bill

Mobile Phone Bill

Internet Bill

Then they have nothing left over and end up in debt just barely making ends meet until everything paid off, worn out and they have to buy again. 

So if that is what you get with the effective highest wage, I say no thanks.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

My daughter was educated for nearly three years at Lanna, from age 4-7. This was in 2007/10. We loved the school and she then went to ISS in Samui until she was 11, which was also pretty good. She had a fabulous and pretty much carefree upbringing in her early years. ....................I had always planned to bring her back to the UK to give her what I believed would be a better education at a decent school. She has done very well and is finishing her A levels in 2 weeks time and has offers from some great Unis in the UK. ...............................The point I would like to make to the OP is the contrast between the education standard at International schools in Thailand compared to a decent school in the UK..............................Before she could be accepted at her school in the UK, she had to take an entrance exam, which she did and she got average marks and was probably a year behind her new peers................... All throughout her schooling in Thailand she had been top, but the minute she comes to the UK, she was just average.........................IMO that speaks volumes......If you would like your child to have a balanced experience in 2 very different worlds growing up and that child has the potential to do well academically and that is important for you and you are also physically able to make the move, then I would advise it.........................................Of her friends and peers who remained in Samui and are also just finishing their A levels either in BKK or Phuket, only 1 that I know of has a really decent Uni offer.................................On the flipside, I know many Thai students who were educated at Montford in CM and some other Thai friends who have sent their kids to top Universities in BKK who have all excelled and are now high flyers in all walks of life............................................I haven't seen any foreigners at Montford myself, and I used to live opposite.......But, I think if you're a foreigner and you want to stay and educate your child at an International school to a high standard in the Kingdom, well CM in the OP's case then Lanna school does pretty well with International University placements............................

Fees are on the site

https://www.lannaist.ac.th/

My neice was a top student in Australia, very very bright. She took part in a student exchange program to a top rated university in Bangkok 

there were several young ladies from the west, Europe involved in the program. After reading this topic I contacted her and got her 2 cents.

so don’t shoot the messenger!

she told me it was her opinion that the schooling in Thailand was in no way comparable to the west, several years behind to be exact.

this was also what ALL the other students reported.

private schools I am sure would be different, I don’t know about their levels.

she is now employed in Switzerland, her husband running the branch office for a multinational firm.

both making well into the 6 figures.

Young people in the west have a much better chance to excel , further themselves, reach their full potential, compared to the vast majority of young people in Thailand.

this is without question. 
both their parents paid for their education as many do in the west.

so no student debt. They have bought and paid for a beautiful home in Australia, in their early 30s.

and yes their quality of life is much better than a Thai graduate making $200 a week. 
in my opinion there is no doubt a young person has a better chance being educated and raised in the west!

Regards

Returning to the original question, I am very happy at the moment with my 7 year old daughter's education at Montfort Primary in CM.

She starts year 2 this month. She is a girl of strong character and a lively personality, but also quite shy; however, she made good friends at Montfort quickly, and her year 1 teacher was always a strong and caring support. She quite often has homework to do, her text books are fine and interestingly presented. The various uniform outfits are very smart.

The pupils are very regularly tested and the school has a decent library and computer facilities. In addition to 'basic subjects', she is taught Chinese as well as 'English' and receives computer education. There are many activities and the sports facilities look good. When I was her age, I was trying (unsuccessfully and pathetically!) to weave raffia pots at school - believe me, my daughter is better off!

Montfort appears to be a very safe establishment with well controlled access and car park facilities. I wait with the other parents inside the gates every school afternoon, having parked my car either in the shopping car park opposite, or along Chanklang Road near to the school. The shopping precinct opposite includes a B2S for books, games and school supplies, and a 7/11 - and there's a lot of cheap but good Thai food, coffee and cakes. A foot bridge spans the quite narrow but busy road, but most parents walk their children across.

I have never seen any bad behaviour and never seen any of the young ones in tears as they come out. 

I have lived near to CM and Lamphun for 13 years. Almost every school day I drive past at least 1 big school - often 3 or 4.  In 13 years, I have never seen schoolkids misbehaving in shops or malls, never seen them fighting, I've seen 2 boys smoking and  1 girl only with  dirty uniform and shoes. How different to England! 

My daughter left alone with a man? NO! Vigilance is essential as much here as in England, where I'm sure the appalling horror at Soham will never be forgotten. Child abuse seems never mentioned publicly in Thailand, but (of course) all parents must be extremely careful. I hope that when my daughter is a little older she will go to Tae Kwon Do lessons and I shall issue her later with a personalized alarm (an imported police recommended UK one) which she will carry with her at all times.

Fees at Montfort? It's best to contact the School Office direct as the fee structure can get complicated and change quite regularly.

I do, however, want my daughter to be taught ENGLISH, not (forgive me!) 'bastardized' American English - OK, American English is becoming more and more a separate language. Montfort English seems to be occasionally (and perhaps inevitably?) a mixture of the two but I do object to the very big gold lettering just inside the school gate advertising the school's 'ENGLISH PROGRAM' (ugh!)

To be honest, I was dubious about sending her to a Roman Catholic (Jesuit) school; but so far, so good. I will keep close tabs!

• Like 1

Could not not reply to you as again just wrong as you again are twisting things to suit you.

18 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Here is one of your quotes "Thai are far friendlier as kids in schools". I guess you never read how many Thai Vo-Tech students kill each other each year just because of feuds between schools that have been happening for 20+ years. Yet you try to generalize that all is well everything, which it isn't. You generalize only the good YOU see.

Good you are able to regurgitate a word I repeatedly use with you. Generalizing. I'm flattered.

If you care to read again over one of my posts, I certainly did cover mentioning Except Techno schools. And I have even personally seen them go at it while just in an outside Bangkok area, and plainly if you don't know there is suggested to be a link to this and their teachers egging it on. But we are not discussing this as in education, are we now! So you are wrong again. And FYI, it is not every single Tech school that is out warring each other. It goes deeper than just looking at it on the surface as it is some sort of long time rivalry from the past. And, for the most part this seems to be concentrated and not every Tech school. In CM there seems to be absolutely no problem as well as most everywhere in Thailand. I did mention it already but, sorry again, you are really generalizing it as par for your course of what you do. Try agian!

If you don't think the average American college graduate makes more than the average Thai graduate by a lot, keep dreaming. Show me 1 American College Graduate starting at 15,000 baht a month? You can find a million in Thailand. FACT. 15,000 baht a month is against the law in the USA.

Err??? Now this is funny as it was asking you for a comparison to wages, not being the same wage at 15,000 baht. How do both wages fare for what you get for the bang for the baht or buck for what country. And in the USA if one pays his or her way, one is more than likely to be saddled with tremendous debt after graduating and nowadays more than likely will struggle or default. So different demographics different countries. And in reality even if a person does graduate in the USA it does not make them employable or desirable, and for that fact even if they came to Thailand wanting to work, still in most cases they remain unemployable and undesirable with that degree form having a US education.

And also in many cases in the USA, if they are employed being USA educated, depending on the area with their starter wage they may not even make enough to live comfortably or above the negative or plainly be skinned every month, or even able to afford to buy a new car with insurance, or a house or even rent a place. You make it sound so romantic and easy. Not!

Look at the Bay Area, people want to be in tech even at the low - medium level, but they are living in their cars. So it is not all candy and flowers and a ticker tape parade walking down that dreamy yellow brick road. I would actually like to see real statistics on how many grads are employable and do get employment and are able to meet ends meat. I do believe graduates in the USA have been and still are majorly struggling. Tell me what percent of the graduates have a degree that will get them some place? But yes statically you are more employable with a degree than without. But that is only saying are more employable maybe to get that position over someone without an education as as senior burger flipper,
Doesn't mean is employable.

"Fact is some universities in Thailand are widely acceptable and more than fine on the world stage" no facts what so ever. You don't get it do you? You have to keep telling yourself things to justify your position that everything is wonderful. 

Actually, please just keep the towel over your head and continue dissing all Thai Universities and all other forms of ok schools here. There are many Thai Uni graduates from University here that are accepted into Master and PHD programs over there. If you have to ask why or constantly try to discredit or distort this, then up to you. Look at any type of published World Rankings for Thai University. You will find consistently several always place within the top 1000 of the world, and CMU is one of them normally at 900 or below. Shame that many of the US ones fall way short being after that. Of course it also goes into the area of study for the next specific rating, but that is not the point, and even then their world rankings are below 1000. So the grass is not always greener on the other side as you speak, and it all is dependent on every individual and how they perform isn't it. Intelligence, hard work and perseverance. Not everyone can do by all means.

Do you honestly think every Thai graduate in Thailand makes a decent living to afford their own house, car, etc. What percent would you take a guess?

This has been already covered. Based on demographics and comparison to average USA graduate in their local, and then one must think Thai usually do several other things in conjunction to their main employment, so maybe this might just be on par as the average American. Do you really think all or the majority of all US graduates are ahead of the grade or ever will be? What do you think, 99/100 are ok and never need any help from dear old mom and dad and can afford to buy anywhere of their choosing? Isn't the US is a different place now and is increasingly more difficult for the average graduate to reach any part of their dream? Not everything is high paying there, is it! If economies are doing well and no pandemic, then probably maybe very similar. And it also depends on what fields of study are in demand, and then again is the person desirable and can pass the criteria and interview. Transcripts can bury a person that has been lucky to graduate.

I think you ended up in Thailand for a reason. CMU is what you can afford. Leave it at that. You are paying $500 to $600 US for a semester, which is the same as the cost for 1 semester in the USA for just books. https://www.science.cmu.ac.th/english/tuition-and-fee.php

Hahahaha, Errrr- yes and no. I love Thailand and left willingly from the USA. Have done many things here as worked for a couple of companies in management (not ground level) and also have had a couple of businesses that were actually ok but eventually costs got too high and retail buyers asked too much so simply closed them down and did something new.. Also, always had other side things going, and my wife has her own business. I love how you are regurgitating some of my phrases, this time being - "Leave it at That". Thank you that is again flattering.

In some cases the US is far better for some studies, this I can agree, but perhaps not on the entire whole. But let's go back to the World Rankings and then think again. Oh yes, let me get my shoe box and piggy bank out and see if I can actually afford to send my kids to the USA to go to school or for that matter afford to send them only to a despicable World Ranked University here. My other biggest worry is that I would not be to be able to send them in new clothing and have to resort to buying second hand clothes and books. The horror!

My daughter was considering the USA until the pandemic broke out and I had zero problems with that except for her being naïve, but I did seriously worry of the dangers of how Americans act there if I was not able to be there watching and guiding her. So, so be it she is doing fine on her own merits here, and no they did not go to temple or public schools prior. And is a bummer as this would have been in my home area of the Bay Area as I am a registered Californian and so are they. Certain freedoms and easy openings because of that.

My son had no desire to go study in the USA and same as my daughter is doing quite fine on his own merits. You see, they do not have any desire to live in the USA one bit, and ultimately will have their own business here is the goal. Business are not hard to set up and make profitable. They have been to the USA many times on extended holiday and know what it is all about. Fun to visit, but no thank you to live.

BTW. No offense intended. You said your wife and her education was not of any value in the USA, but you failed to answer my question regarding for what level she got to and since you had mentioned Issan is safe, then it almost pointed to she is from there and was schooled there? If you get my drift?

Prathom 6? Maythayom 6? Uni all 4? Private? Public? Temple? Techno? And for that matter you say you stayed here 10 years, but you also say your son is in a USA Uni now with AA which means just after 2nd year.

The years unless explained don't add up as have a big gap there. Your biological son? Did you raise him all of his life and was he always in international school here or did you pick up the pieces after he was already at an older later child's age and try to do your best to elevate him? Again, no offense, but honestly I would think if he was in some sort of an international accredited school with a full foreign accredited staff the entire time from diaper's to teenager with you helping him, then he probably would have had no problems in the USA. But what do I know.

Do you think $500 a semester buys you a world class education anywhere in the world like you stated with no facts?

Harvard University is $US 25,000 a semester? Any idea why? 

Facts? Apparently on paper as by the world rankings. Are you going to dispute and call nonsense again on all the many different published Rankings that produce the same results or near the same? And as I recall you didn't say your kid is an ivy leaguer or is even paying for his education by himself for that matter. 

I think you pretty much have a track record of believing what you want, short of any facts. Numerous occasions pointed out to you where you are absolutely wrong and you still ramble on and on and on.

Hey buddy, sticks and stones, but again if you are pointing any sort of a finger you will need to look in the mirror. Yes I can rap with the of them if I ever am lucky enough one day to have a conversation with one. Again, private schools and extra studies, and go back and take a look at the true World rankings of all Universities world wide including the USA. Majority of Universities in the USA fall short coming after some Thai ones.. And for the matter, my kids are not going to live in the USA as life will be here living life in wonderful Disneyland Thailand with goals of eventually running their own business that daddy helps them set up. Up to you for what you believe, so you can rant all you like till you are blue about how spectacular and great the USA scene is in education and all else, and then rant all such of that everything in Thailand is substandard and the dregs. The USA ain't all that but it does have some spectacular things for sure..

You can make tons of money anywhere, and yes with the right contacts as such as Alumni and friends.. Show you? Nothing to prove to you and only tell al to my family and friends. You don't qualify.

Please do show us, how a CMU alumni helps your kids get a decent salary above all the other CMY graduates, when ever that happens.

And if they are stuck in Thailand after graduating, have the nuts to post a real paycheck stub from your kids to prove you were right all long.

Oh and please do stop funding your kid and let him be a real American man standing on his own two feet with no support from dear old dad like the real true head strong real respected Americans used to do paying their own way. That is the American way. And if you do do that and he gets a student loan, have him man up and not have the American government use tax payer's money wiping all clean under the proposed student loan forgiveness plan. If he is yours he is a real American, if he is adopted not your real birth child then he is I think naturalized. For me and my kids, they help us on things and so as an allowance it is a pittance to pay to support them for the $500 buck low life per semester university here.

Thai schools on many levels are not the best I agree with you, but there are acceptable above board situations. And please don't go lumping everyone into one category again as if you do you better do it with all graduates and school in the USA, and that probably if all is included then maybe the USA by far has the greater number of failures on the whole than here. Include the ghettos and places like weird places like Kentucky, you do not have the right to pick and choose to suit your rhetoric. It might perhaps just come out when comparing eye to eye that Thailand Graduates place better here if you break each demographic and details down for each country. 

For the most all parts for what we are doing, I am certainly ok with my kids education here, but also adding in my kids also continue on and are doing quite well and reaching goals are what will make or break a person. Hey, if they make 15000 baht out of university for the first time, then this will just be considered working experience enabling them to know how to jump to the next level. For Thailand and Vietnam my friends who are factory or business owners made it priority to have their children start work in the factory or business doing menial entry level work in order to be hands on experienced and educated in all ways for how that business works and runs. They eventually will reach management and then up to take over the company, but the moral and end result of this is?... Why don't you tell me.. And these kids are very intelligent and were educated domestically and received their degrees from their perspective countries Universities, with some getting a higher degree from abroad after. Now that is life and there is your earful for the day!

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, siftasam said:

Returning to the original question, I am very happy at the moment with my 7 year old daughter's education at Montfort Primary in CM.

She starts year 2 this month. She is a girl of strong character and a lively personality, but also quite shy; however, she made good friends at Montfort quickly, and her year 1 teacher was always a strong and caring support. She quite often has homework to do, her text books are fine and interestingly presented. The various uniform outfits are very smart.

The pupils are very regularly tested and the school has a decent library and computer facilities. In addition to 'basic subjects', she is taught Chinese as well as 'English' and receives computer education. There are many activities and the sports facilities look good. When I was her age, I was trying (unsuccessfully and pathetically!) to weave raffia pots at school - believe me, my daughter is better off!

Montfort appears to be a very safe establishment with well controlled access and car park facilities. I wait with the other parents inside the gates every school afternoon, having parked my car either in the shopping car park opposite, or along Chanklang Road near to the school. The shopping precinct opposite includes a B2S for books, games and school supplies, and a 7/11 - and there's a lot of cheap but good Thai food, coffee and cakes. A foot bridge spans the quite narrow but busy road, but most parents walk their children across.

I have never seen any bad behaviour and never seen any of the young ones in tears as they come out. 

I have lived near to CM and Lamphun for 13 years. Almost every school day I drive past at least 1 big school - often 3 or 4.  In 13 years, I have never seen schoolkids misbehaving in shops or malls, never seen them fighting, I've seen 2 boys smoking and  1 girl only with  dirty uniform and shoes. How different to England! 

My daughter left alone with a man? NO! Vigilance is essential as much here as in England, where I'm sure the appalling horror at Soham will never be forgotten. Child abuse seems never mentioned publicly in Thailand, but (of course) all parents must be extremely careful. I hope that when my daughter is a little older she will go to Tae Kwon Do lessons and I shall issue her later with a personalized alarm (an imported police recommended UK one) which she will carry with her at all times.

Fees at Montfort? It's best to contact the School Office direct as the fee structure can get complicated and change quite regularly.

I do, however, want my daughter to be taught ENGLISH, not (forgive me!) 'bastardized' American English - OK, American English is becoming more and more a separate language. Montfort English seems to be occasionally (and perhaps inevitably?) a mixture of the two but I do object to the very big gold lettering just inside the school gate advertising the school's 'ENGLISH PROGRAM' (ugh!)

To be honest, I was dubious about sending her to a Roman Catholic (Jesuit) school; but so far, so good. I will keep close tabs!

Great school. I have many friends and business acquaintances who graduated from there, and have nothing negative to say about this school as they do indeed give the student a great foundation that works. More success stories than not coming out of that one.. For religion the Thai schools in CM don't seem to ram that down your kids throat like perhaps religious schools outside of Thailand tend to do. More like they teach all religions if I am correct, as they want parents and kids to be happy because in the end it is a business. No worries there as far that I know. This is a great example of a good Thai education.

6 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

If you care to read again over one of my posts, I certainly did cover mentioning Except Techno schools. And I have even personally seen them go at it while just in an outside Bangkok area, and plainly if you don't know there is suggested to be a link to this and their teachers egging it on.

Maybe the schools in the USA would be better if they confined all the malcontents, gang members, drug addicts, bullies, etc to special schools like Thailand does. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Maybe the schools in the USA would be better if they confined all the malcontents, gang members, drug addicts, bullies, etc to special schools like Thailand does. 

Hahahha. Unfortunately policies of politics or rights get in the way there. But would be neat if could round them all up and put them away to be educated like as they did away with the undesirables in the movie Escape From New York. 

Thailand definitely has a  better handle on it here hands down. 

But for the USA it is totally getting out there with the new generation for what they think is acceptable and unacceptable. I read there was a recent uproar about Snow White getting kissed without consent. So with their thinking, leave her in a coma is better because as she cannot speak up for herself. Too funny as this is what education of rights is becoming..

• Like 1

The most important factor in your childs education is the support they receive at home.

The second most important is the support they receive at the school, by understanding teachers who go out of their way to help, and who try to make it "Fun" to learn.

Positive reinforcement pays big dividends - and if they want to pursue their education after high school they will have the tools and a positive attitude to do well.

• Like 2

Forgot to mention it!

If you want a really good and COOL Montfort Primary school experience for your young offspring, and you have the wherewithal (in my dreams!), why not rent or buy (?) a brand new condo in the luxie 'The Astra Condo' directly opposite the 7/11 on Changklang. Great location. Facilities as seen on the internet look superb.

While other parents are driving through CM at 'peak time' and then jostling for parking spaces, you could be relaxing by the pool with a mint julep, before strolling with your child across Changklang and Charoen Prathet (10 minutes). On the way back, maybe a coffee or a cake at the MOST coffee shop (or the one with the cuddly lion toys!) - both lovely service (and some very nice Mums relax in there too).

I live between Saraphi and Lamphun, so I'm there in the afternoons, having had some lovely farang food in the Amererican /Thai restaurant just up the road near Pantip Plaza - 'Butter is Better' - and, finally, that is next to one of the best 'orthodox' massage shops in CM.  Not a Loi Kroh type shop, but a really good massage and inexpensive. I like it very much.

Service in all these places is friendly and professional. Lovely people.

p.s. I don't get money from Montfort for this endorsement. Has anybody ever in history managed to screw money out of Jesuit?