SURVEY: Should Scotland seek independence from the UK?

Scott

SURVEY: Should Scotland seek independence from the UK?  

255 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

31 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Is what my wife said legally binding? If its not then its just an opinion or throwaway remark.

Like dead in a ditch or over my dead body.

I get the distinct impression that when my wife issue edicts they are legally binding.

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2021 at 4:25 PM, shy coconut said:

I think there should be another referendum.

Brexit, and especially the way the Scottish people voted in that referendum, has 

made the UK and union a different place to what it was at the time of the original

independence vote.

I would imagine the outcome would be far closer, but it would have to be a hell of a swing

to make a convincing case for leaving, but if 52% is enough to leave the EU, then it should 

be enough for independence.

I'm a Jock and probably sitting on the fence in this one, i've asked questions (Taxes, Currency, Consulates, Armed Forces, etc.,) and never got any plausible answers. I don't think it has been thought thru' and while many want it, i'd say they would regret it later. The First vote and Brexit IMHO were not thought through - they should have set clear targets to initiate things - a 51% vote for is not sufficient, and the bar should have been set 75%/80% to initiate a move forward. The rules were set and Salmond/Sturgeon agreed that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, BREXIT happened and it was a separate democratic vote again with no clear definition.

I'm sure many here have differing opinions, and i don't blame the English voting to get rid of us the way SNP pushes for it, i'd vote to get rid of them by giving what they want and watch them amble along as if nothing happened.

1 minute ago, Sjptain said:

I'm a Jock and probably sitting on the fence in this one, i've asked questions (Taxes, Currency, Consulates, Armed Forces, etc.,) and never got any plausible answers. I don't think it has been thought thru' and while many want it, i'd say they would regret it later. The First vote and Brexit IMHO were not thought through - they should have set clear targets to initiate things - a 51% vote for is not sufficient, and the bar should have been set 75%/80% to initiate a move forward. The rules were set and Salmond/Sturgeon agreed that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, BREXIT happened and it was a separate democratic vote again with no clear definition.

I'm sure many here have differing opinions, and i don't blame the English voting to get rid of us the way SNP pushes for it, i'd vote to get rid of them by giving what they want and watch them amble along as if nothing happened.

I doubt there are many people think these things through on anything other than an emotional level.....that's how we ended up with Brexit.

On 3/7/2021 at 3:59 PM, bert bloggs said:

If they leave then no subsadies from England ,they pay for everything themselves, 

Exactly; and don't let's hear any more garbage about 'Scottish Oil' when everyone knows it's 'British Oil' !

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

That's it - the dream of independence will be dead in the water if Mogg graces us with his presence. 

I wonder which cowshed in the middle of nowhere they will be holding that in.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Yesterday Scotland was being called, laughably, a banana republic. Today the tory appointed DG of the BBC cancels a satirical show because they make fun of our government. 

It is not tvf members that called Scotland a banana republic, maybe it was re-iterated, but Scottish journalist Andrew Neil that stated this, maybe he was referring to how the SNP refused to recognise referendums and how the SNP government witheld or lost information vital to an inquiry that mislead parliament, a claim that N Sturgeon is still refuting I hasten to add.

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

So the TVF members who make such statements are merely parroting, unchallenged, the things they hear in the press? Who would have thunk it?

Parroting and referring factually to a statement of truth are two different things. What would you call a country that ignores referendums?

1 hour ago, vogie said:

It is not tvf members that called Scotland a banana republic, maybe it was re-iterated, but Scottish journalist Andrew Neil that stated this, maybe he was referring to how the SNP refused to recognise referendums and how the SNP government witheld or lost information vital to an inquiry that mislead parliament, a claim that N Sturgeon is still refuting I hasten to add.

Has Andrew Neil interviewed Johnson yet? The interview he promised to give prior to the general election but then failed to do so. All the other political party leaders did give an interview so its odd the Johnson was afraid to face the media.

No idea why Johnson was so feart. After all he got nothing but softball questions from Andrew Marr.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

Parroting and referring factually to a statement of truth are two different things. What would you call a country that ignores referendums?

Which country has ignored a referendum result?

• Like 2

Just now, RuamRudy said:

Are we free of the swamp that is the Westminster government? Have we thrown off the dead-weight burden that damaged beyond calculation my country for 300 years? Oh happy days!

The SNP are not free of anything, Boris only said today "no referendum"

"Boris Johnson will make clear on Sunday that he will not grant a second Scottish independence referendum, even if the SNP wins a majority in May’s Holyrood elections."

It is behind a paywall so you would need to subscribe to the "Telegraph" to read it RR.????????

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/03/11/boris-johnson-will-no-second-scottish-independence-referendum/

1 minute ago, vogie said:

"Boris Johnson will make clear on Sunday that he will not grant a second Scottish independence referendum, even if the SNP wins a majority in May’s Holyrood elections."

It is behind a paywall so you would need to subscribe to the "Telegraph" to read it RR.????????

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/03/11/boris-johnson-will-no-second-scottish-independence-referendum/

OK so we have one without his permission. 

Pretty sure the UN and the European courts of civil rights will have a field day with Johnson.

That and the fact it will have to be heard using Scottish law will be a right giggle.

In Scotland the people are sovereign. Not Westminster.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Then the 2014 referendum result has been respected, even as our corrupt PM announces that he will refuse to recognise the democratic will of the Scottish people should they choose, once again (for the 76th consecutive year) to show just how much Scotland despises the Nasty Party and everything it has to offer. Now that surely is the hallmark of a banana republic? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I doubt there are many Scots who refer to themselves as Jocks and who do not know the position regarding currency, taxes, consulates and armed forces upon independence.

They prefer the term "sweaties" ????

Edited by nkg

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

OK so we have one without his permission. 

Pretty sure the UN and the European courts of civil rights will have a field day with Johnson.

That and the fact it will have to be heard using Scottish law will be a right giggle.

In Scotland the people are sovereign. Not Westminster.

Of course you will rookie, of course you will, don't worry everything will be just fine.????????????

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

Of course you will rookie, of course you will, don't worry everything will be just fine.????????????

Holding a sovereign nation within an empire against its will is frowned upon by international courts.

Last one I can remember doing it was Slobodan Milosevic.

• Like 1