What has this site done?

Bangkok Barry

10 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Fake news.

It was Donald. He has now much more free time to get his hands on TV webpage.

I was tempted to mention him but I've had my fill of political threads on TV. They seem to be primarily inhabited by trolls. Nice to have a rest from them.

• Like 2

My guess would be that one individual, annoyed by his treatment, set up monitoring to alert him if a non-Cloudflare IP was ever revealed, even for a minute. He would then have set up his own server to bombard that IP or, more likely, paid a service a few dollars (probably around $50) to do it, most likely using a botnet of hacked servers.

None of this requires skill. Any idiot can find a tutorial on how to do it.

On the other hand, recovering from this sort of attack is relatively easy. You simply flip over to another server, as I described in an earlier post. Some sites even keep a second server running with the latest backup already running and automatically switch to it when their system detects a problem with the first server. The expense is justified because any downtime at all can permanently damage your search engine rankings.

An actual hack is far more damaging but requires far more skill to carry out.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, donnacha said:

Neither of those links - to the home pages of news sites on the broad subject of hacking - were in any way relevant to this discussion.

Again, no other major Invision forum disappears for 3 days. If you get hacked, you simply restore from your last unhacked backup and are online again before almost anyone notices. No complicated dance moves required.

Thank you for wasting two unrecoverable minutes of my life.

Ah, so you only look at the homepage. Great research.

27 minutes ago, donnacha said:

My guess would be that one individual, annoyed by his treatment, set up monitoring to alert him if a non-Cloudflare IP was ever revealed, even for a minute. He would then have set up his own server to bombard that IP or, more likely, paid a service a few dollars (probably around $50) to do it, most likely using a botnet of hacked servers.

On the other hand, recovering from this sort of attack is relatively easy. You simply flip over to another server, as I described in an earlier post. Some sites even keep a second server running with the latest backup already running and automatically switch to it when their system detects a problem with the first server. The expense is justified because any downtime at all can permanently damage your search engine rankings.

That I would agree with. This isn't the first time things went down on ThaiVisa, so possibly thinking of a disaster recovery setup could be feasible.

It's not like this kind of thing couldn't happen to TVF hosting company: https://www.zdnet.com/article/ovhcloud-data-centers-engulfed-in-flames/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Burma and Thailand have joined forces to share their wealth of knowledge on human rights and enforce strict monitoring of the internet to discourage the revolting peasants and nosey opinionated westerners ......so down time of this site could be a regular feature.

44 minutes ago, donnacha said:

I can't help but think that will all this technobabble, you're cadging for a job with TV.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

EDIT: It was a malicious DDoS event that caused it, not negligence by TVF.

A DDos attack can be prevented by good security protocols. Having a DR site will help with a speedy recovery. PM me if TVF wants some consultancy from a professional company.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, colinneil said:

So you pity me? Can i ask why?

Sadly i do not have better things to do with my life, i only wish i had.

Next time before ridiculing others, stop, think, try asking yourself why that cranky old sod ( colinneil) spends so many hours on here.

Yes it is a shame that i am stuck in a bloody wheelchair, unable to walk/ move.

You might be aware of the term FIGJAM which means if you ask some will tell you how good they are but there are us others that don't need to be asked.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It would be polite, wouldn't it, to have received some kind of explanation from the owners of the site. Apparently they can't be bothered.

Why, what do they owe to us, the freebie members?  Perhaps they directed their explanations to the only ones who deserve explanations, i.e. the advertisers who do pay to be here!

5 minutes ago, Maliproto said:
51 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It would be polite, wouldn't it, to have received some kind of explanation from the owners of the site. Apparently they can't be bothered.

Why, what do they owe to us, the freebie members?  Perhaps they directed their explanations to the only ones who deserve explanations, i.e. the advertisers who do pay to be here!

It would be polite, wouldn't it?

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It was a malicious DDoS event that caused it

Was said "malicious DDoS event" (whatever that might mean) also the cause of the specific issues which have plagued those of us who had been trying to access the site (usually unsuccessfully) through a TOT router for several weeks?

I quite like the present look.

Strange formatting, curious fonts, lots of white space, it's like a website from 20 years ago.

Which in these weird times, could be thought of as the good old days.

And while it was off, I watched The Dirt (biopic of Motley Crue) and Gran Torino, (with an advanced ageing Clint Eastwood). Both enjoyable.

So win/win.

• Like 1