Appeals court confirms fraudster who left hundreds stranded at Suvarnabhumi gets 4,355 years

rooster59

Appeals court confirms fraudster who left hundreds stranded at Suvarnabhumi gets 4,355 years

558822.jpg

Image: Naew Na

The court of appeal has upheld a sentence of 4,355 years against Pasist Arnchapis, 34, who was known as Sin Sae Shogun.

Many other defendents in the fraud case were also also given thousands of years.

Fines of millions of baht and restitution in the hundreds of millions was also confirmed for the defendants.

The reality, however, is that the maximum for the offences is 20 years.

Pasist set up a food supplement company several years ago in what became know as the "Wealth Ever" fraud.

It involved defrauding hundreds of members of the public in the sale of memberships in an online company.

In return for 9,700 baht memberships more and 800 people were promised a free flight to Japan.

In April 2017 they turned up at Suvarnabhumi airport only to be told they had all been conned and there were no flights.

Also in court or hearing confirmation of their long sentences and fines were Pasists' 60 year old mother Janchai, his cousin Kongsaran, 26, and his secretary and lover Thatdao, 39.

Four defendants were given 2,903 years, reported Naew Na.

Fines in the sum of 435,500,000 were ordered to be paid by Pasist's company. 

Fines of more than 50 million baht were due to investors.

He and several other defendants were originally arraigned and sentenced in a hearing in September 2018.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-13

51 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

He and several other defendants were originally arraigned and sentenced in a hearing in September 2018.

"Also in court or hearing confirmation of their long sentences and fines were Pasists' 60 year old mother Janchai, his cousin Kongsaran, 26, and his secretary and lover Thatdao, 39."

Sin Sae Shogun is a woman.

Edited by orchis
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

So why not sentence them to that?

Somewhat absurd but it isn't exclusive to Thailand?

Doesn't the US also have absurd sentences of 99 years or the like?

They are adding sentence case by case. So maybe one case would be 5 years. 100 cases = 500 years.

And the law says that 20 years is the maximum to be locked up for "limited" sentences (not life, not death penalty)?

I might be wrong.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Also in court or hearing confirmation of their long sentences and fines were Pasists' 60 year old mother Janchai, his cousin Kongsaran, 26, and his secretary and lover Thatdao, 39.

man I would have a lot of explaining to do. 

3 hours ago, orchis said:

Sin Sae Shogun is a woman.

So is her "his" lover, Thatdao, 39.

It is quite obvious that Sin Sae Shogun identifies as a male.

Now she he identifies as a convict, of course. And in line with her his own gender identification, she he really should serve her his prison sentence in a male correctional facility. It's going to be a ball of a time... for the other inmates.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Somewhat absurd but it isn't exclusive to Thailand?

Doesn't the US also have absurd sentences of 99 years or the like?

I'm not sure of the absurd part but see https://www.en.wikipedia.org/List-of-longest-prison_sentences

Terry Nichols got 161 life sentences plus 9,300 years without parole for 161 counts of first-degree murder, etc.

In Thailand Chamoy Thipyaso was sentenced to 141,078 years in 1989 for courage fraud but paroled after 8 years - well below the legal 20 years limit.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

I'm not sure of the absurd part but see https://www.en.wikipedia.org/List-of-longest-prison_sentences

Terry Nichols got 161 life sentences plus 9,300 years without parole for 161 counts of first-degree murder, etc.

In Thailand Chamoy Thipyaso was sentenced to 141,078 years in 1989 for courage fraud but paroled after 8 years - well below the legal 20 years limit.

"courage fraud" auto correct mistake, should be "corporate fraud."

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Fines in the sum of 435,500,000 were ordered to be paid by Pasist's company. 

they didn't give a currency, so I assume they mean in Zenlopiatiaoxn coins.

which equates to 20 baht or the amount in their bank account, whichever is less.

this scam makes no sense.  should have promised moon tickets in the year 2076.  or promises to reincarnate as a rich person......not fake tickets where people go to the airport in a week. lol

Edited by Ventenio

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Some time ago in my wife's village, a young man raped and killed a 8 year old girl, by bashing her brains out with a rock, after abusing the child in all ways you can think of. He got life, later reduced to 17 years.  He was subsequently released on Pardon after 5 years after some pitifully small payment to the parents of the child. That's Thai Justice for you, or complete lack of it. 

I agree it is very sad and not unusual in Thailand. I often heard for some Thais that you don't understand Thai culture.

Oh but I do understand very much. I just totally disagree with it in many ways. It needs to change.

• Like 1