Motorcycle Theft

11 hours ago, piston broke said:

Nope - i was in Tesco's car park - i guess i could have been trying to nick it - the guy who came was only interested in the money.....

Just made me reolise how vunerable these "keyless" bikes are .....

I've never had to use it in anger, but my Aerox has an emergency override system so that I can input the keycode without having the key fob with me. I've committed the sequence to memory and rehearse the procedure once a month or so, so that I'm sure I remember it.

Your ADV has a similar routine that it might be worth your while learning. You'll find it in the user manual, starting on page 106.

I don't think that your experience indicates that keyless bikes are particularly vulnerable. I doubt if anyone would want to take the risk of being caught summonsing an engineer to a public bike park, with the risk of the owner returning at any moment. 

And they are certainly not vulnerable to the 'screwdriver and hammer' method used by bike stealers to unlock the steering/ignition.

Enjoy your riding.

• Like 1

For a little knowledge and a little money the pass code can be determined if you are in range of the bike when the owner approaches.

How do you think thieves the world over steal bikes and cars these days ?

As soon as manufacturers bring out this "security" the work around takes a very short time.

It is not hard.

20 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

For a little knowledge and a little money the pass code can be determined if you are in range of the bike when the owner approaches.

How do you think thieves the world over steal bikes and cars these days ?

As soon as manufacturers bring out this "security" the work around takes a very short time.

It is not hard.

The range of my key fob, with a good battery, is no more than 2 meters. (I've just tested it) So anyone who wishes to capture the code would have to be standing right next to me. I think I'd be aware of that and wonder just what he's up to.

He would then, having produced his cloned fob, have to hang around bike parks in the hope that the same motorcycle turns up one day so that he can nick it soon as the owner has left the park. 

I think the odds of that happening are pretty long, don't you?

Just now, Moonlover said:

The range of my key fob, with a good battery, is no more than 2 meters. (I've just tested it) So anyone who wishes to capture the code would have to be standing right next to me. I think I'd be aware of that and wonder just what he's up to.

You're assuming his scanner is as insensitive as your m/c receiver.

Which isn't the case.

As for stealing bikes, often they just load them onto the back of a pickup and drive away.

Edited by BritManToo

On 3/14/2021 at 11:15 AM, canthai55 said:

Buy First Class Insurance. Keep policy valid

No market for a stolen Forza - or any big bike here mostly.

No one with any sense would buy it if the green book can not be transferred into their name.

A Wave - on the other hand - has a ready market in neighboring countries.

There is a market simply drive it across a border and sell it.  

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

There is a market simply drive it across a border and sell it.  

For a Forza ?

And how - pray tell - do you get it across the border without customs docs - or are you talking dead-of-night-Vigo-load ?

Interested to hear about this market for stolen big bikes in neighboring countries

Once Upon a Time ...

1 minute ago, canthai55 said:

And how - pray tell - do you get it across the border without customs docs

Most border guards can be bribed.

Or you could probably drive it down a track in the jungle if you're a local.

There's still hundreds of trucks crossing the border, nobody looks in the back.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

For a Forza ?

And how - pray tell - do you get it across the border without customs docs - or are you talking dead-of-night-Vigo-load ?

Interested to hear about this market for stolen big bikes in neighboring countries

Once Upon a Time ...

are you joking? how long have you been in thailand or se asia for that matter? or you even in thailand? 

15 hours ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

I have a russian friend here, and he knows a guy who´s selling stolen motorbikes with forged green books, for about half the price a regular motobike.

Does he forged the numberplates as well ?

Just now, Ralf001 said:

Does he forged the numberplates as well ?

Do you really need a number plate?

In CM I see plenty of bikes driving around without them.

I just stuck the tax disk in my car, only 3 months left, I never go into town, so nobody cares.

My misses is worse, no tax, insurance or driving licence, her brother is a police Captain so she doesn't need any documents.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

are you joking? how long have you been in thailand or se asia for that matter? or you even in thailand? 

17 years here - more around the neighborhood

Waves have a market in Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos

Forza ? HD ? Ducati - 555

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yup - just ride your HD - or Duck - or Forza down a winding dirt jungle track - easy

I see many locals in Myanmar just dying to own one - 555

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2021 at 2:46 PM, jackdd said:

If you worry about it, get insurance, more convenient than a lock ????

True about the insurance, if someone wants it they will take it.

A short piece of thick chain through the front wheel with a sturdy lock will put-off any chancers wanting to take it.

Anyone professional will just lift onto the back of something and take off.. but that ain't so easy with a bike like that.

They'll probably give yours a miss and go look for something else.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 9:48 AM, expatjustice said:

Can anyone kindly explain since when a 180,XXX Baht motorcycle is considered expensive? 

lol a little over 5,000 USD...... I thought a expensive bike would be at least 10k onwards......

since we aren't as rich as you.

• Like 1

I don't recommend disc locks. It made my motorcycle break caliper out of alignment, because someone tried to move my motorcycle (by pulling out of parking spot while the lock was attached. 
I recommend using a thick chain and lock. 

Edited by The Theory

On 3/14/2021 at 2:54 PM, Andy from Kent said:

Have you considered buying a bike that won't cause you so much stress?

Oversized look at me , when roads busy you will sit still like a vehicle to big for Pattaya roads or lil moobaans 

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Most border guards can be bribed.

There's still hundreds of trucks crossing the border, nobody looks in the back.

I do taxis over border and go shopping nobody looks in boot either cases of Beer Lao ez 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 11:15 AM, canthai55 said:

A Wave - on the other hand - has a ready market in neighboring countries.

Plus, if not locked to a solid object, most of the 125cc bikes and scooters can easily be picked up by two people (or one strong mother), placed in a truck-bed, and made to disappear.
All good advice by canthai55.