Must have stamp!

So went to the local dlt (samut sakhon) to renew my car and bike licenses with my wife leading the charge and me standing behind. Lady asks for photocopy of passport, work permit and licenses. I need 90 day stay paperwork as well she says. Out come the online receipt as well as the attachment that comes with it with the green “approved” thing on top. She says I need stamp. What stamp I say in the background. Proof of address stamp she says. The 90 day document in front of you issued by immigration is proof of my address. That’s partly what it is for right? I say. She goes but I need stamp. She suggested embassy, immigration, or department of labor to get the stamp with some conviction in her demeanor. After all she’s behind the desk and calls the shots. 
It seems harder to get a license than to renew it. 
In typical face saving interaction the lady smiles and the wife obliged accepting that we will get the stamp. I couldn’t resist though. With people standing in queue I kinda explained that what she is asking for does not make sense and why wasn’t it the case when I got my license a couple of years ago? She wasn’t too happy to have lost some face in front of ordinary people and realizing how dumb their requirements are especially by a farang. I got some satisfaction from it.

There is no morals to this story. Just sharing an all too common scenario. 

• Confused 1

By "90 day document" you mean the 90 day report receipt? That's not considered proof of address.

If your work permit has an address on it, this would be considered proof of address though. If it doesn't have an address you would have to get a certificate of residence from immigration.

Can a utility bill in your name be used as proof of address? Or even the chanote? I don't see why not, although this is Thailand and logic does not prevail.

Edited by Wiggy

20 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

Can a utility bill in your name be used as proof of address? Or even the chanote? I don't see why not, although this is Thailand and logic does not prevail.

Utility bill or Chanote isn't accepted by DLT as proof of address. You can have both those documents and be living elsewhere.

You could own and have utilities connected at multiple properties.

People renting a property dont usually change the electricity into their name, they just pay the bill when it comes. 

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

People renting a property dont usually change the electricity into their name, they just pay the bill when it comes. 

This reminds me - my electricity is still in the name of the first owner of my condo. Neither me as the last owner nor the owner before me had the motivation to change it. Perhaps I should do it ... Perhaps tomorrow ???? But I guess then I have to pay a deposit or? Perhaps better after tomorrow... ????

19 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Utility bill or Chanote isn't accepted by DLT as proof of address. You can have both those documents and be living elsewhere.

You could own and have utilities connected at multiple properties.

A letter from the embassy or immigration also do not indicate proof of address, as I could be living elsewhere. 

13 minutes ago, Oldie said:

This reminds me - my electricity is still in the name of the first owner of my condo. Neither me as the last owner nor the owner before me had the motivation to change it. Perhaps I should do it ... Perhaps tomorrow ???? But I guess then I have to pay a deposit or? Perhaps better after tomorrow... ????

I am the same, I just cant bring myself to spend the 2,000 baht that they want to change the name

• Like 1

Most DLT offices want a COR, your passport copy, your medical certificate, and your application,  with your foreign license or your newly expired Thai license to process you through the system. Some may take your Yelliw book and pink ID card but that is hit or miss.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

A letter from the embassy or immigration also do not indicate proof of address, as I could be living elsewhere. 

Except that its a document from an official Government office, an official declaration of address.

I dont make the rules, just passing on that DLT wont accept utility bills.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Except that its a document from an official Government office, an official declaration of address.

I dont make the rules, just passing on that DLT wont accept utility bills.

Yes, I guess my point is that I could go to immigration or my embassy and lie about where I'm living. When I did get a letter from the embassy for my first DL it stated, "Mr _________ has indicated to us that he resides at_________". I'm being finicky, I know, but it's still not proof of address.

Just now, Wiggy said:

Yes, I guess my point is that I could go to immigration or my embassy and lie about where I'm living. When I did get a letter from the embassy for my first DL it stated, "Mr _________ has indicated to us that he resides at_________". I'm being finicky, I know, but it's still not proof of address.

How long have you been in Thailand ? Has fighting the system ever gotten you anything but stress and grief ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonray said:

How long have you been in Thailand ? Has fighting the system ever gotten you anything but stress and grief ?

29 years. I'm not fighting the system, I'm just very inquisitive.

On 3/20/2021 at 12:55 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Fortunately accepted here for the last few years.

"Easy": varies widely between district offices

They are exactly the same as the blue Tabien Baan except that they are for non Thais, IDs starting with 6 or 8.

I had a yellow book for some 15 years until I got a blue one and I have never ever met anyone or even heard of anyone questioning it.  

Where did you hear of anyone refusing a yellow book? 

44 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

They are exactly the same as the blue Tabien Baan except that they are for non Thais, IDs starting with 6 or 8.

I had a yellow book for some 15 years until I got a blue one and I have never ever met anyone or even heard of anyone questioning it.  

Where did you hear of anyone refusing a yellow book? 

From what I've read here on Thaivisa: Yellow book is not accepted by the DLT in Chonburi.

50 minutes ago, jackdd said:

From what I've read here on Thaivisa: Yellow book is not accepted by the DLT in Chonburi.

My yellow book was accepted at our local DLT on three occasions.

That's what I mean with inconsistent handling.

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

Thanks. If that is correct... It sounds like DLT in Chonburi wants to play games with westerners. The yellow book is indeed legal proof of address in Thailand. 

I wonder what they would say about my blue book? Not that I want to try, I haven't been in that part of Thailand for 20 years ????

Edited by MikeyIdea