The Maldives is a picture postcard retreat

snoop1130

20130810_100058-scaled.jpg

Visions of skimming through the water sipping Champagne quickly disintegrate as we board the dingy with two outboard motors, life jackets and hold on as we thump, thump, thump over huge waves, spray showering the bow, guided by satellite avigation.

A friend has extended an invitation to visit her in the Maldives where she is working. We arrive at the airport and I’m guided to the business class check in area. An amazing surprise. We are flying with Sri Lankan Airlines from Singapore via Colombo to Male, the capital. We often discuss the merits of upgrading. Is it worth it for a short flight, three hours thirty minutes to Colombo then a little over an hour to Male, on a single aisle Airbus A320. The answer smacks us in the face at check in. Queues a mile long and no one in the business class line. Yes, L’Oreal, we are worth it. Nice roomy seats and a Champagne greeting. Many flights into and out of Male arrive and depart in the dead of night or at times in the morning usually reserved for lining up to get into clubs. Ours is no different.

Male airport is a runway on an island in the North Male atoll. Spectacular. At least we can see that from photos. In reality, we land in darkness, clear customs and make our way to our launch transfer. Two young guys at the helm, twenty years old if that. Is one of you the Captain? Maybe two mates taking turns leading the joy ride across the Indian Ocean. I am comfortable on boats having grown up in exploring the islands and the Great Barrier Reef adjacent to Australia’s Northeast coast. My partner however is not. We need to call the resort and order some double Vodkas to greet us please.

We arrive, are greeted, check in and find the bar. Our first two nights are in a beach house after which we move to an overwater villa. Sleep. We have seen the photos and read the reviews. Nothing and I mean nothing can prepare you for the visual masterpiece that greets the eyes as the sun rises and the Maldives reveals its glory. Blue, blue, blue. White sand, palm trees swaying and an ocean so clear you can see, well everything beneath the surface. No need for polarised glasses. However using them creates an even more vivid three dimensional sea world opening up a playground to dive into and explore.

Our previous night’s adventure slips away to the archives of the brain. Relax. Staying at the Holiday Inn Kandooma like most in this archipelago, we are at the mercy of the resort. The island is the resort. The ocean, a couple of metres from our room, opens its arms and beckons with a gentle lapping at the shore. We scuttle across the white sand, not yet hot to the touch and slip into the water in which was to become our daily morning ritual. This could be your home away from home. Have the resort provide catering and settle in, grilling lunches and dinners on your BBQ downstairs next to your beach level living room, oblivious to the rest of the world, which is out there somewhere. There are six types of accommodation scattered across the island all designed to allow privacy.

The island is small, you can walk around it in 45 minutes. Facebook.com/expatlifethailand.com FEBRUARY / MARCH 55 However there are bays and lagoons where you can disappear into your own private island retreat. Although we see people, the resort is the perfect size and affords guests the privacy usually reserved for Sir Richard Branson and friends on Necker Island.

A seamless move to our overwater villa drops us into heaven. For me, this is the Maldives. Built over a lagoon. A manmade reef break allows the tides to ebb and flow creating an oasis of crystal clear water teaming with fish. The sound of the waves crashing on the break is a constant reminder of where you are and a reminder of perhaps how fragile the world is. Without the intervention of man, our protected villas would be open to the seas and the uncertainty of the ocean and the weather. With global warming is it better to take steps to protect or change our lifestyles? An ongoing debate and the Maldives has been vocal in urging the world to act. Those most at risk seem at odds with land locked countries and those on higher ground, self interest in the foreground rather than seeing the world as a whole, populated by global citizens ensuing a future for all.

Full Story: https://expatlifeinthailand.com/travel-and-leisure/the-maldives-is-a-picture-postcard-retreat/

expat.png

-- © Copyright Expat Life in Thailand 2021-03-24

• Haha 1

I made a visit 35 years ago and found it beautiful indeed but life on the very small islands cannot be easy (access to drinking water)

What is paradise ?  When I realized a dream and visited Bora Bora 40 years ago I was surprised how bored the locals were in the only hotel of the island ...they all wanted to be in Paris while may-be all the Parisians wanted to be on Bora Bora

Paradise is in our heart as the violent political struggles on the Maldives illustrate.

• Like 2

Worked there myself.

Great for a short break possibly a week but anymore and its just plain boring !

My island could be walked around in 20 minutes or less, and you could tell what day of the week it was by the food being served. So repetative which the punters never saw as they were in and out in a 7 - 14 day turn around usually. 

Beautiful sunsets/sunrise  outstanding star canopy away from the lights. Great watching the Dolphins jump &play.A place everyone should experience once, but a brief stay is enough. IMHO

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fvw53 said:

I made a visit 35 years ago and found it beautiful indeed but life on the very small islands cannot be easy (access to drinking water)

What is paradise ?  When I realized a dream and visited Bora Bora 40 years ago I was surprised how bored the locals were in the only hotel of the island ...they all wanted to be in Paris while may-be all the Parisians wanted to be on Bora Bora

Paradise is in our heart as the violent political struggles on the Maldives illustrate.

The coconut telegraph would be hard for me to handle. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ozfarang said:

The Maldives

Over rated and over priced

IMO

quite right, outside of the lovely beach hotels, where there is noting to do but lie in the sun, the place is a dump of megga proportions.  And if people think that Thailand is selling its soul to the Chinese, the Maldives have already done that and are reaping the bad rewards for it. Much better places to visit, such as the Seychelles or the Virgin Islands. 

• Like 1

From 1986 to 2000(ish) I made 5 visits. The first was enlightening, quiet, sleepy, relaxing and good value. On each subsequent visit the value for money halved and the novelty factor wore off.  There are numerous places to visit within 3hours of Thailand  ( and indeed within Thailand) that offer better value and a better experience. I have a sizeable budget for holidays ( pre 2020) but the Maldives no longer figure in my plans when the airfare from Velana Int. to one of the outlying Islands is the same price as business from Suvarnabhumi  to Hong Kong.  

Footnote, Hong Kong does actually have some nice beaches.

20 hours ago, ozfarang said:

The Maldives

Over rated and over priced

IMO

That can be true and it depends on the resort, duration and departure/return location. I have seen some truly staggering high prices for hotels in The Maldives. Most hotels are on their own island - it's not like Koh Lipe where one island has many hotels. Seems to me that the 3 day/2 night packages offered from here in Thailand are quite expensive. Also, the only way to go is all inclusive or at least full board as any drinking or dining not in the package is extremely expensive. I've been to the Maldives four times and stayed on two different islands. Each island can be very different depending on the size and type of resort. Some are better for simply chilling and reading a book whilst others are great for scuba diving and other sea sports. The waters are typically crystal clear and full of aquatic life and it's where I and my son got PADI certifications. I always did packages from the UK typical duration of 7 days to 3 weeks and choices of flights either charter or scheduled. I just looked up my last trip in October 2013 and the cost for 3 adults and a 1 child (10yrs) was £2000 per person for 7 days with Thomson stay at Vilamendhoo Island Resort with seaplane transfers. Our direct flights from London were in "premium" like old style biz class and were on a new B787. Our package was all inclusive with great dining and unlimited beer, wine, cocktails etc. I think tour operators from other European countries offered similar deals.