It’s official: Thai govt approves plans to re-open to foreign tourists

webfact

A post containing a headline that was "copied and pasted from the web" has been removed as well as the replies:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Just now, VBF said:

You have to remember that the manufacturers HAVE to give the worst-case picture for obvious reasons.

Also their published data sometimes lags behind the latest scientific research....eg

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-vaccine-moderna-pfizer-transmission-disease

and

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/sars-cov-2-transmission-newly-infected-individuals-previous-infection

From the latter link:

• Evidence from studies specifically designed to assess the impact of previous infection on the risk of transmission is currently lacking. Infection with SARS-CoV-2 does not provide sterilising immunity for all individuals and some who are reinfected might still be able to transmit SARS-CoV-2 infection to susceptible contacts.

But later in the article

• Direct evidence of the impact of vaccination on the risk of transmission is only available from one study, a large register-based household transmission study from Scotland. This study suggests that vaccination of a household member reduces the risk of infection in susceptible household members by at least 30%.
  • There is evidence that vaccination significantly reduces viral load and symptomatic/asymptomatic infections in vaccinated individuals, which could translate into reduced transmission, although the vaccine efficacy varies by vaccine product and target group. In light of this fact, the total number of infections is expected to decrease significantly as vaccination coverage increases, provided that there is a match between the vaccine strains and the circulating virus strains. This will lead to decreased transmission overall.

What we all have to bear in mind is that this is evolving almost on a daily basis, but IMO we have moved from "vaccinations will not impact  transmissibility" last year to the current "vaccinations will probably impact  transmissibility".   My emphasis.

Personally, I'm hopeful.

I think the word "probably" says it all ...... they don't know ..... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, ozfarang said:

Exactly what I am going to do, leave in May

Not waiting for the totally shambolic rollout of the vaccine here in Australia for the saving of 3 days quarantine

As of now Oz hasn’t lifted the permission to travel requirement

Omg!  How exciting.  Now, tourists will just need to be allowed out of their country-sized open prisons where they are currently confined.  Well, all except VIPs, special people, the rich, and football players, of course!
Well Thailand.  You may be open, but you may have to negotiate the release of your potential tourists with their authoritarian power-drunk captors, errr, leaders.  My guess is China will be the first of open the flood gates.  Get them jabs a jabbin'. 

• Like 1

Just now, VBF said:

For goodness sake!!!!

Read my sentence starting "What we all have to bear in mind...."

The scientists know a damn site more than they did a year ago, that's for sure.

The Vaccine has was only rolled out in December .... 3 month ago !
Are you suggesting they are using humans as guinea pigs ? 
no vaccine company would do that ! and no government would accept that ....... and surely nobody would take a vaccine that hasn't been tested  ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Dexxter said:

I stopped reading here.

Documentation all completed to obtain COE - boost to morale

Flight to LHR for overnight PCR test - negative - boost to morale

Board TG911 - major boost to morale

Arrive and processed at Suvarnabhumi - major boost to morale

In Thailand at quarantine hotel - major boost to morale

14 days quarantine phhhhhhht no problem

Day 9 now 5 days to go major boost to morale ????

4 minutes ago, VBF said:

For goodness sake!!!!

Read my sentence starting "What we all have to bear in mind...."

The scientists know a damn site more than they did a year ago, that's for sure.

Correct . 

Then  the big boys  of pharmacy . 

Took control ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Been There said:

no vaccine company would do that ! and no government would accept that ....... and surely nobody would take a vaccine that hasn't been tested  ?

If you bothered to do your research, you'd find that the AZ at least was being tested throughout 2020- watch the BBC documentary "In search of a vaccine" 

All medicines are always in a constant state of research and development once the initial testing is done.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

With all this confusion and ever changing situation all around the World who is going to risk booking a trip to Thailand?  

#1 Delta and I suspect many airlines just removed the suspension on change fees. Delta ended  on bookings March 31. 

#2 70% vax rate in Phuket is a pipe dream as there are to many anti vax people not to mention the sinovac is only 50% effective this 70% number doesn't mean much.

#3 documented cases of vaccinated people testing positive are happening. So risk of  expensive hospital stay is real. How long would this be?https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/small-number-of-fully-vaccinated-people-in-washington-test-positive-for-covid/

#4 airfare is a good 50-70% higher than 18 months ago.  I've been looking recently and have 11 trips last 5 years for comparison. 

#5 vax rate of all countries is still so low so travel on long  international flights  through multiple airports is a risk. 

#5 CDC is worried about spike #4 in USA.  This is with a 20% vax rate.   Currently travel to or through most   all foreign countries is not advised. Local travel is discouraged. Currently Thailand is level 3 as of 3/1/21.    https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/thailand-travel-advisory.html

#6. Does Thailand ever hold steady on any idea long enough to trust things won't change. 

#7. Vax cards like the one I got for my J&I is a simple, easily forged paper slip. Who could verify these.  I was told to add my name later.  I could have made a copy of this document and sell it for anyone to put their name on it.  I think there will be so many counterfeit cards found in the next few months that they will all be worthless.  Most countries including USA are probably not keeping electronic records.  

I believe this woukd be a terrible experiment to do on Phuket.  Why don't they try this in BKK?  Because that's where all the HISO shelter in their hiso air purified abodes. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

It will probably include this list.

South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Zambia, Kenya, Rwanda, Cameroon, Congo, Ghana and Tanzania.

The Ministry of Public Health says they’ll update the list every 2 weeks.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/11-countries-must-still-do-full-14-day-asq-quarantine-when-travelling-to-thailand

Exsk5KVUYAIFlfY?format=jpg&name=900x900

people still need to do 14-day quarantine if they arrive from 1st April onwards. Please note, this is nothing to do with citizenship. It’s for anyone travelling to #Thailand from these countries.

3 minutes ago, Been There said:

There is now an  acute shortage of Guinea pigs ,

and monkeys the Kingdom ..  {Ref Reuter } 

Aliens .   Ten a penny ...555

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Big Yuley said:

So from July if i go to Phuket for say 10 days, after the 10 days can i then travel to other parts of the country?

that's been my question too?..in fact..when they go to no quarantine..i wonder if that will happen

1 minute ago, Kadilo said:

I would think the “clean” vaccinated tourists will be more worried about the “unclean” unvaccinated expats and locals. 
Strange how situations have a habit of doing a U turn sometimes. 

It's also strange how people continually fail to consider the fact that the “clean” vaccinated tourists will have nothing to worry about.

Because......... they've been vaccinated!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, VBF said:

It's also strange how people continually fail to consider the fact that the “clean” vaccinated tourists will have nothing to worry about.b

Because......... they've been vaccinated!!!!

Yeah but don’t tell our friend from earlier or he will have nothing to worry about. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourists who intend to visit the aforementioned destinations will still have to undergo quarantine but only for 7 days rather than the 14 days mandatory quarantine needed previously.

Fire up a bowl of Hopium.  Only a handful of people will show with the current restrictions in place.  Pffffttttt.

• Like 2

Probably because he's transiting via the Middle East. I purchased a ticket for BKK Manchester in 2 weeks time transiting via Amsterdam. £300 plus £40 extra luggage. I know of others that have transited via Finland recently too.