Walking with your kids ...ever been harassed

On 4/2/2021 at 4:24 PM, Gecko123 said:

If you're talking about a foreign man with a teenage Thai girl unaccompanied by an adult Thai female or other children, it can definitely happen here in Thailand. Sometimes it was ask out of curiosity or mild concern about the child's welfare, but it could at times be rather intrusive and prying, even snide. It almost always came from Thai women, who felt entitled to be protective towards an underage female.

Typical setting was daytime shopping/errand/school supply trips. Comments were often directed directly at my step-daughter in sotto voce, with the assumption being that I either couldn't understand or couldn't hear what was being said. Typically delivered in an inquisitorial tone, my step-daughter often had to field such questions as: "Where's your mother? What's your relationship to him? Do you sleep with him?"

Quite extreme, but i certainly understand this happening. But i doubt they do it with Thai males.

I was once married to a Thai lady with two kids. Long divorced but i raised the kids in the Netherlands. Never had a problem there. But it was a small village so people knew i was married and had Thai kids.

Now fast forward many years and the 14 year old stepdaughter came to visit me in Thailand. Imagine a girl that speaks not good Thai (still better then mine). Who is totally European in her behaviour. So when she saw me in the shopping center (we agreed to meet there) she ran at me and hugged me tight and kissed both cheeks. 

I must admit i felt a bit uncomfortable, because in Thailand you dont display affection like that and she was a young Thai girl. But nobody said a thing. Later i mentioned it to her and she told me i should not worry too much about what others think. A real Dutch attitude. (she still lives in Europe Belgium now)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well I'm sure that this happens sometimes where people wonder whats going on but I think its mainly dumb tourists while expats are much more used to seeing f-rangs with Thai families. 

There are a lot of people who still think that in Thailand sex with underage is happening a lot and out of the open. If you have such a mindset (tourists) then yes they make those assumptions faster. Whenever people ask me about it I always say I never seen underage prostitution (true) but it happens and people get caught for it (in the news) but it certainly is not widespread or accepted or normal. Its actually checked a lot.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

There are a lot of people who still think that in Thailand sex with underage is happening a lot and out of the open. If you have such a mindset (tourists) then yes they make those assumptions faster. Whenever people ask me about it I always say I never seen underage prostitution (true) but it happens and people get caught for it (in the news) but it certainly is not widespread or accepted or normal. Its actually checked a lot.

This is because "charity " groups like to promote this to get donations .

I use to work for a child protection charity albeit only as a volunteer ...the idea is to create advertising that is for donations so a hysteria say in Cambodia that pedophiles are everywhere.

This then means the European be white middle aged make us usually made out to be the offenders .

It's all money .money so the charity " owners" can survive and have a good time on.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

This is because "charity " groups like to promote this to get donations .

I use to work for a child protection charity albeit only as a volunteer ...the idea is to create advertising that is for donations so a hysteria say in Cambodia that pedophiles are everywhere.

This then means the European be white middle aged make us usually made out to be the offenders .

It's all money .money so the charity " owners" can survive and have a good time on.

I agree so much misinformation around about this. People make Cambodia look like its Pedophile paradise. But if you follow the news they quite often catch offenders. To be honest I havent been in Cambodia in those area's so I have no clue if it is available. Im not interested in it. But I do know that a lot of people make it out worse then it actually is. Just to make money like you said.

On 4/2/2021 at 7:32 PM, CharlieH said:

Never experienced it Thailand but MANY times in the UK.

So bad in one instance in a Tesco store I called for the manager to speak to the checkout operator.

Surprised you get that in the UK with all the anti-racist sentiment over there these days. 

On 4/2/2021 at 10:16 PM, SomchaiCNX said:

If you stay here long enough and are still alive, you may say something similar to another TV member in 2044. Would you give a similar answer to a Jew when he/she talks about WW II? Enjoy your day.

Your analogy is wrong boomer! Senility makes people comment on something current like it happened in the 90's.  

• Sad 1

On 4/1/2021 at 8:50 PM, Kwasaki said:

Are you serious.

Finally I had to Google it and discovered that the meaning is:

"

Interjection

Used to express shock, surprise or skepticism, or to indirectly request confirmation or more information

"

So now I know.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jobsworth said:

Finally I had to Google it and discovered that the meaning is:

"

Interjection

Used to express shock, surprise or skepticism, or to indirectly request confirmation or more information

"

So now I know.

Well done so you understand.

To OP   " Are you serious."

OP on 4/2/2021 at 2:42 PM, SomchaiCNX said:

Yes he is, same thing can happen when you walk with your Thai wife. A friend of mine was asked in PTY how much he paid and when she would be available again. This was in the 90 ties. 

I posted

Yeah fair call I guess I would have to experience something like that to believe it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes he is, same thing can happen when you walk with your Thai wife. A friend of mine was asked in PTY how much he paid and when she would be available again. This was in the 90 ties. 

She must have been different.

Most of the wives I see out walking with their foreigner husbands, nobody would want to hire.

(mine included, I wouldn't want to hire her either)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

She must have been different.

Most of the wives I see out walking with their foreigner husbands, nobody would want to hire.

(mine included, I wouldn't want to hire her either)

Maybe you joke dunno,  I wouldn't say that about my wife I wouldn't still be with her after 18 years of marriage.

If she let herself go and got into obesity, I would leave but she has more respect for herself than that. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Maybe you joke dunno,  I wouldn't say that about my wife I wouldn't still be with her after 18 years of marriage.

If she let herself go and got into obesity, I would leave but she has more respect for herself than that. 

After 18 years of marriage, i seriously doubt anyone else would want her ....... what is she 50 years old?

I certainly have no interest in starting something with any woman older than 35 (and I'm 65).

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

After 18 years of marriage, i seriously doubt anyone else would want her ....... what is she 50 years old?

I certainly have no interest in starting something with any woman older than 35 (and I'm 65).

I don't know where your going with this you sound like a misogamist , that's sad, you have your reasons I guess but my Thai wife is still beautiful at 50 years and I luv her and I'm getting to 74 and frankly she has said she will not want anyone else after my demise. 

Happened to me in the Philippines, vacationing with extended family in El Nido Palawan.  My brother-in-law and I had rented a couple of motorcycles to get around, and one day we took our godson with us.  He was around 14 at the time and is full Filipino (my brother in-law and I are both full caucasian so he didn't look like one of our sons).  As our godson hopped onto the back of one of our bikes I noticed a 60-something caucasion woman giving us both a shocked/disgusted look and looking back and forth between us and our godson.  I almost commented something like "hey, I paid for him so can I go first?", but our godson hadn't noticed the staredown and I didn't want to bring him into it, so I just smiled and mentally shook my head.   There's lots of ignorance of that sort in the world and people sometimes just see what they want to see.

• Sad 1

We were walking around Bangkok a good few years ago as a family.  My wife and her mother were walking a few metres ahead of us and my Thai/Brit daughter (13 years old at the time) and her cousin ( 14 years old), were walking arm in arm with me some way behind.  We got lots of judgemental stares from farangs along the way, ( not a surprise) which amused us, but some nasty comments from Thais to the girls which they thought  were hilarious, I on the other hand was not at all amused.  People are very judgemental and will always think the worst of others. 

• Sad 1

On 14/04/2021 at 6:30 AM, ChrisP24 said:

Happened to me in the Philippines, vacationing with extended family in El Nido Palawan.  My brother-in-law and I had rented a couple of motorcycles to get around, and one day we took our godson with us.  He was around 14 at the time and is full Filipino (my brother in-law and I are both full caucasian so he didn't look like one of our sons).  As our godson hopped onto the back of one of our bikes I noticed a 60-something caucasion woman giving us both a shocked/disgusted look and looking back and forth between us and our godson.  I almost commented something like "hey, I paid for him so can I go first?", but our godson hadn't noticed the staredown and I didn't want to bring him into it, so I just smiled and mentally shook my head.   There's lots of ignorance of that sort in the world and people sometimes just see what they want to see.

Its the femi Nazis doing this .

I am over 60yo and was looking at/admiring  a lady in her late 20's yesterday here in Australia ..not over looking but looking at her butt cheeks as she passed me...a younger girl sitting near me ( at a bus stop) said to  her bf .." what a old perve that man is ..(looking at me )

So it's now not social  correct to look at women anymore...but...wait..had I looked at a guy passing these young people  wouldn't of said anything...that would be ok????

Edited by georgegeorgia

10 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Its the femi Nazis doing this .

I am over 60yo and was looking at/admiring  a lady in her late 20's yesterday here in Australia ..not over looking but looking at her butt cheeks as she passed me...a younger girl sitting near me ( at a bus stop) said to  her bf .." what a old perve that man is ..(looking at me )

So it's now not social  correct to look at women anymore...but...wait..had I looked at a guy passing these young people  wouldn't of said anything...that would be ok????

Interesting. 

So there's no homophobia in Australia anymore? That's quite a journey from the feed them to the cannibals days.

So I get a little conflicted here. 

I never really had any serious issues, but yeah I've had a few snide looks and comments. But then again I was never a 60 something male with a teenage child, I had all my kids when I was in my 30's and early 40's.

But, the problem is as much as we try to think, hope sexual exploitation doesn't happen it does, everywhere!

So many of you know I work for an airline. In the US children under the age of 18 don't need an ID to fly on domestic flights.

We had two white guys checking in on a flight to Denver with two teenage girls. Apparently sisters, but with birthdays 6 months apart. No luggage, tickets were paid in cash, and the one guy traveling with them only had a one way ticket. The girls also were named 'Smith' yet on the surface they most definitely didn't look like an ethnic Smith.

Ended up alerting law enforcement at the up station in Denver and they were intercepted as they deplaned, and yep ended up the girls were being trafficked.

The fact that the whole story was so flimsy, just made me think, these guys must have done it and got away with it before so easily.

So, did we  profile them? I guess we did, but was it the right thing to do? Yes.

So maybe the fact that sometimes you have to put up with the odd look or comment once in a while isn't a terrible price to pay, if at the end of the day maybe one of those odd looks ends up saving one child.

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Interesting. 

So there's no homophobia in Australia anymore? That's quite a journey from the feed them to the cannibals days.

Actually the same things happen with gay people in Pattaya ...a lot of homophobia unfortunately

Edited by georgegeorgia