Thailand’s new 120km/h speed limit starts but 25,000 still killed on the roads annually

webfact

One would think math would be an easy subject, like adding (+) gives you a higher number. That said I would assume putting a plus (+) to an already fixed speed limit will also increase those quoted annual death figures, but then again, maybe math wasn't a subject they did well in ?

I am missing something ?

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

Quite frankly I don't know how this help the horrible road safety issue in this country.

Why in the world would you increase the speed limit when the roads here are a killing fields?

Anyway, it doesn't matter how fast you go, if you run red lights, if you cut people off, if motorbike riders don't wear helmets or if you rid the wrong way on a one way road (especially true with motorbikes). There is absolutely no enforcement (at least here in Pattaya).

This place is like the Wild Wild West!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like that these people completely ignore what it takes to educate and discipline Thais to drive/ ride in a safe manner. Needless to say it will take generations before they realise how to implement safety traffic rules and regulations like having police doing there job on the roads stopping outlaws Thais driving recklessly !

Increasing the speed limit is just a perfect formula for a continued disaster on the roads ????????‍♂️

• Like 1

My god, you guys over react!  We're taking about a stretch of multi-lane hwy with u-turns blocked off.  Most people drive 100 to 120+ already.  I'd be more scared trying to keep below the old limit of 90kph on that section.  At least, now, I can drive at a comfortable speed without having to watch out for speed cameras.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've been noticing that on Highway 11 between Lampang and Lamphun.
A significant number of vehicles are now traveling at 120 to 140 easily.  I do the speed limit and often feel the vacuum bump as they pass before I see them.  The number has increase very recently.  Some people used to drive very fast, usually from Bangkok.  But the numbers have increased recently and their from everywhere now.  No doubt the locals celebrating the new 120 speed limit lauded by Thai MP and ministers. 
"It make Thai road more safe."  <rotflmbo>
Sure it does Somchai, sure it does.

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

My god, you guys over react!  We're taking about a stretch of multi-lane hwy with u-turns blocked off. 

Average Thais are now applying that to all highways including two lane carriage-ways with U-turns. 

4 hours ago, SGD said:

Can the Thai brain cope with 120kph because it doesn't seem able to cope with 110kph now.

Can't cope with the concept of yielding; can't cope with the concept if merging; can't cope with the concept of reading the traffic 100 to 500 meters in front of them (no less 500 to 1 km ahead); can't accelerate and get up to the speed of the flow of traffic in a timely manner; can't slow down once traveling in excess of the speed limit; can't cope maintaining a lane;  can't cope in corners and just straighten out the road by driving from shoulder to shoulder.  Just - can't cope. 
Most don't have the most rudimentary driving skills to be behind the wheel at moderate speeds no less 120 (which means 140 or 160+).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Law enforcement, helmet wearing, raising driving standards, making it compulsory to learn to drive instead of just buying a licence and the like.

So much flatulence emitted from officialdom.  So little action. 
Well unless you mean the pre-license renewal video that everyone promised they watched at home.  Khun farang was the only watcher the day of his renewal.  Video takeaway: 
1. Don't spit.
2. Don't throw banana out the door. 
3. Don't rev your motor like an idiot when starting your car.
4. When pulling from the curb, accelerate sloooowly instead of in a timely manner to get up to the speed on traffic. 
5. If Khun Aggressive cuts you off?  Bow your head and raise your hand to your head in deference so that he Khun Aggressive doesn't stop, force your car over and beat the tar out of you. 
Maybe there was more but they cut the video short because they had already processed all the Thais and video-watching farang was the only person left in the office.
<Farting noise; Slide whistle; Cymbal crash; Canned laughter>

11 hours ago, webfact said:

And other projects will add 1,760 kms of high speed roads from December. 

Oh please!  No!!!  <slide whistle: breaking glass; canned laughter>

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

My god, you guys over react!  We're taking about a stretch of multi-lane hwy with u-turns blocked off.  Most people drive 100 to 120+ already.  I'd be more scared trying to keep below the old limit of 90kph on that section.  At least, now, I can drive at a comfortable speed without having to watch out for speed cameras.

Nailed it.

Baffles me why so many are getting their knickers in a twist over this .................Bored living in Mums basement is my guess.

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Nailed it.

Baffles me why so many are getting their knickers in a twist over this .................Bored living in Mums basement is my guess.

maybe "hat people"

On 4/2/2021 at 3:42 PM, SGD said:

Can the Thai brain cope with 120kph because it doesn't seem able to cope with 110kph now.

Do you drive in this Country as the speed limit is 90 kph not 110kph

Also the Chonburi motorway has been 120kph, for the 20 year that I have been in Thailand.

The only people winging are the one s that don't drive or can not drive

• Thanks 1