Thailand reports 96 new COVID-19 cases

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The problem being that those Thai's that have not been tested and then board a plane back to Thailand can easily pass on the virus to other passengers in the enclosed confines of the aircraft.

Yes indeed.

There is no requirement for returning Thais to be tested prior to Boarding their Flight. 

Or there wasnt.

Spread the Love

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rabas said:

The other passengers go through the same quarantine, again no problem.

Also, testing cannot stop infected foreigners from boarding a plane. As often explained, if you are exposed within  6 days of boarding, the test may be negative (fail to detect the virus).

Testing foreigners is more a courtesy. Quarantine is what prevents the virus entering Thailand.

And less risks in aircrafts than in other closes places : Modern aircraft ventilation systems aren't spreading viruses, DoD study suggests

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Secondly they have a right to return to their home country, test or no test. 

Regarding foreigners coming to Thailand, the country is applying much the same entry rules as just about every other country in the world is right now.

Entering the UK: Before you leave for the UK - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Brits have to have a negative covid test before boarding a flight home and if i have read the gov site correctly also they must book and pay for before flying two covid tests on their return on day 2 and day  8 of a 10 day self quarantine..... these test providers shown on the gov list have prices from 200 pounds for each of those two tests that you must have prebooked and paid for before flying.

Like to know if anyone has gone back to the Uk and had this rule enforced seems rather extreme for UK nationals returning to their own country?

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

And in a week the Songkran holiday will begin, with many workers in Bangkok returning to their villages as well as many Bangkokians wanting a break at the beach in Pattaya or Hua Hin. The big question is, why is the government so remiss when it comes to Bangkok and travel restrictions? The way this is going, we won't have to wait for the vaccinated foreign tourists to arrive and start spreading the virus at an alarming rate, Songkran will already have done that.

I don't think the prevalence is much higher than just before the last couple of holidays, and they didn't lead to an unmanageable increase. I'm more concerned about the reduced quarantine. I think we'll see a few clusters, but it's not as if there'll be hordes of people coming in, plus prevalence in that group is likely to be low, and a good proportion of infections will be picked up inside the 7 days. I think they may well be able to keep a lid on it.

It's clear Bangkok is getting special treatment. I don't think there's any reason beyond the fact that it's the capital. I've just accepted it at this point.

Just now, sapson said:

Entering the UK: Before you leave for the UK - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Brits have to have a negative covid test before boarding a flight home and if i have read the gov site correctly also they must book and pay for before flying two covid tests on their return on day 2 and day  8 of a 10 day self quarantine..... these test providers shown on the gov list have prices from 200 pounds for each of those two tests that you must have prebooked and paid for before flying.

Like to know if anyone has gone back to the Uk and had this rule enforced seems rather extreme for UK nationals returning to their own country?

I am about to return and have already paid £180 for the day 2 and day 8 tests. Have booked a Covid test at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital prior to my flight. 3800 baht for same day results. I have looked for a test to take part in the test and release scheme (test on day 5 and quarantine ended as soon as you get a negative result) but no participating clinics in my area which would have meant doing the process by mail and wouldn't have had my results until a couple of days before I was due to leave quarantine anyway. Would have been iro £130. OK if you live in the SE.

5 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

They should better start to test thais before they come back to Thailand.

Almost every day, people enter quarantine being infected.

Like the UK let people in most of last year. 

My mother walked straight through Heathrow immigration without as much as a question. This was on a flight from China last March. 

Like the UK started quarantine just this year? 

The problem is not with the Thai authorities. 

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

I am about to return and have already paid £180 for the day 2 and day 8 tests. Have booked a Covid test at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital prior to my flight. 3800 baht for same day results. I have looked for a test to take part in the test and release scheme (test on day 5 and quarantine ended as soon as you get a negative result) but no participating clinics in my area which would have meant doing the process by mail and wouldn't have had my results until a couple of days before I was due to leave quarantine anyway. Would have been iro £130. OK if you live in the SE.

interesting, who are you flying with? for sure they will ask for a negative test on check in , but wouldnt imagine they will check for the the two pre booked quarantine tests, Did you get the two tests for 180 pounds for both or each..... outrageous if you are a British national?

Apparently some exceptions to the two test rule .. certain jobs and if you are returning to the Uk for urgent medical treatment, but arguing your case with a Thai check in girl may be a real problem.

Seems their are no direct flights at the moment.

5 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

They should better start to test thais before they come back to Thailand.

Almost every day, people enter quarantine being infected.

daft isn't it ! farang has be tested before boarding but not Thai !!!   Yes, spread it around on the plane !!  

The EN language news media here seem to be getting increasingly opaque / vague about just where the new cases are cropping up, other than giving general breakdowns by province.

The TH newspaper Thai Rath has an online report today dealing with the details of where new infections have been found in Bangkok, and it includes mention of several specific entertainment places around the Thong Lo and Ekkamai areas, as follows via Google Translate:

https://www.thairath.co.th/news/local/bangkok/2063259

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=th&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thairath.co.th%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Fbangkok%2F2063259&prev=search

• Crystal Pub Thonglor 25 found 21 cases.
  • Ban Phahon Cafe & Bar Chatuchak found 3 cases
  • Ekamai Beer House found 8 cases
  • Pubs, Bars, Bars, Bars, Thonglor and Dollar Bangkok found 5 cases.
  • The cassette music bar Ekkamai, Pub dirty found 1 person.
  • The Emquatier, Sukhumvit 39, The Emporium found 2 cases.

The BKK Post also has a report today talking generally about CV cluster cases at Thong Lo entertainment venues, but their report (which cannot be linked or quoted here) doesn't actually mention any specific venues.

The Post just has an article with a headline that says the police are looking into CV clusters at Thong Lor and Ekkamai entertainment venues, in terms of whether they had been following COVID protocols.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Haha 1

Here's a report from the National News Bureau of Thailand (official government site) dealing with the above topic/report:

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10157926547087050

"The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has urged people who had visited 3 entertainment venues in Thonglor and Ekkamai areas from March 25 to 31 to fill a risk assessment form via the website as soon as possible.
MBA’s Health Department had reported the discovery of 13 Covid-19 cases that included 5 people who visited Krystal Club on March 25 and 8 people visiting Krystal Club, Bla Bla Bar, and Beer House on March 27.
The BMA said people at risk of infection could contact the Health Department's disease control division on 0 2245 4964 for a swab test."

39 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

According to the Province update things are spreading, this can only get worse with the local travel now starting for the holidays.

Province update on Sunday: 87 local cases. (from Richard B)

9 proactive case:
Samut Sakhon 4
Samut Prakan 4
Bangkok 1

78 “walk-in” hospital cases:
Bangkok 34
Samut Sakhon 9
Chonburi 7
Surat Thani 6
Samut Prakan 5
Suphanburi 5
Nakhon Pathom 3
Khon Kaen 2
Nonthaburi 2
Pathum Thani 2
Narathiwat 1
Ayutthaya 1
Udon Thani 1

Interesting to see suratthani numbers tomorrow. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

According to the Province update things are spreading, this can only get worse with the local travel now starting for the holidays.

Province update on Sunday: 87 local cases. (from Richard B)

9 proactive case:
Samut Sakhon 4
Samut Prakan 4
Bangkok 1

78 “walk-in” hospital cases:
Bangkok 34
Samut Sakhon 9
Chonburi 7
Surat Thani 6
Samut Prakan 5
Suphanburi 5
Nakhon Pathom 3
Khon Kaen 2
Nonthaburi 2
Pathum Thani 2
Narathiwat 1
Ayutthaya 1
Udon Thani 1

Here's the government's official graphic version of the same 87 local cases report for Sunday, by province. [You add the 9 imported cases to the 87 local ones to get the total of 96 for the day.]

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10157926680672050

169056986.jpg.d45671d3a8e59b7d83013979c0ef216f.jpg

168678969.jpg.f37f5db0e8ef76f3af762a30c0b328d2.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Yet in just one week Songkran starts and the mass spread of people throughout the country will began as the masses head to home and elsewhere to enjoy a 6 day or 9 day holiday.  This has the potential to be exponential.  Was this the plan of this Government?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Looks like the new variants are taking off in many countries, too. I have not heard of any genomic testing being done in Thailand.

However, it's a sure thing some foreigners in quarantine had a mutation. Absolute idiocy to reduce quarantine to 7 or even 10 days in pursuit of a few baht.

Thailand sequences every positive case entering the county via ASQ. A few months ago, they found an entire British family with the UK B.1.1.7 strain, which so far has not got into Thailand. They also sequence many cases in hospitals to track the local strains, contributing a portion to the international surveillance database GISAID. You can download from there.

Thailand was the first country outside China to detect a COVID case, on Jan 8 2020 before PCR testing was available anywhere. The did it by sequencing. Thailand genetically sequenced every case before developing their own PCR test, which they registered with the WHO.

Even so, it is absolute idiocy to reduce quarantine below 14 days.

Thailand's brilliant genetics and covid control is done by Thai medical staff and citizens.  The government decides about ASQ and vaccines. Can you see the difference?

Edited by rabas
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, rabas said:

Thailand sequences every positive case entering the county via ASQ. A few months ago, they found an entire British family with the UK B.1.1.7 strain, which so far has not got into Thailand. They also sequence many cases in hospitals to track the local strains, contributing a portion to the international surveillance database GISAID. You can download from there.

Thailand was the first country outside China to detect a COVID case, on Jan 8 2020 before PCR testing was available anywhere. The did it by sequencing. Thailand genetically sequenced every case before developing their own PCR test, which they registered with the WHO.

Even so, it is absolute idiocy to reduce quarantine below 14 days.

Thailand's brilliant genetics and covid control is done by Thai medical staff and citizens.  The government decides about ASQ and vaccines. Can you see the difference?

Do they publish figures of the percentage of positives they are sequencing, I think in the uk it's about 30% as average unless they detect a specific strain in an area, then they do surge testing of whole area and sequence every positive result. Read a report that uk sequences up to 50% of the worlds requirements as to sequencing, on behalf of other countries. I hope Thailand is carrying on doing robust sequencing as it's one way to keep on top of situation, unlike uk who discovered the new uk strain too late.

The MoPH /  Department of Disease Control posted a news release today attributing 70 total COVID cases to entertainment venue clusters in BKK and surrounding provinces.

https://www.facebook.com/fanmoph/posts/6004694266223545

Screenshot_4.jpg.80bb1a0130274c5044921392ae813282.jpg

Excerpts of the Google Translate version of their announcement:

https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&pto=aue,boq&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://pr.moph.go.th/%3Furl%3Dpr/detail/2/04/156264/

"In the case of entertainment venues in Bangkok - Perimeter infected with a total of 70 cases were found in a chain from Pathum Thani to Thonglor and Ekamai. As a result of tourists, singers, and musicians go to many shops to emphasize crowded places Poorly ventilated Not wearing a mask Is a risk.

From the investigation, it is expected that From entertainment venues in Pathum Thani province to Crystal Club Thonglor, La Blabar. And Beer House Ekamai is a chain because tourists infect employees and infect other tourists. Tourists often visit many shops and staff, singers and musicians work in many shops. Causing the infection to spread to other stores And bring it to the family."

There also was comment in the same MoPH / DDC news release on the Japanese ambassador to Thailand being hospitalized after coming down with COVID.

The BKK Post has a news report this afternoon confirming that report and attributing their info to the Japanese Foreign Ministry.

--------------

Meanwhile, the BKK Post finally posted an updated report on the BKK and surrounding areas entertainment venue clusters wherein they finally listed the various pubs by name that have had confirmed recent cases.

The Post's report included mention that some foreigners were among the positive cases found at the Ekkamai Beer House location.

2 hours ago, sapson said:

interesting, who are you flying with? for sure they will ask for a negative test on check in , but wouldnt imagine they will check for the the two pre booked quarantine tests, Did you get the two tests for 180 pounds for both or each..... outrageous if you are a British national?

Apparently some exceptions to the two test rule .. certain jobs and if you are returning to the Uk for urgent medical treatment, but arguing your case with a Thai check in girl may be a real problem.

Seems their are no direct flights at the moment.

KLM to Manchester via Amsterdam. £300 + £40 checked baggage, one way.

You must complete a Passenger Locator Form not more than 48 hours before your journey. This includes proof of booking your tests and journey details and contact details including your quarantine location. This and your pre flight Covid test must be presented at your departure airport. Big fines if you don't have them on arrival in the UK.

2 day and 8 day tests £180 the pair. I was quoted over £200 by several providers.

2 hours ago, polpott said:

KLM to Manchester via Amsterdam. £300 + £40 checked baggage, one way.

You must complete a Passenger Locator Form not more than 48 hours before your journey. This includes proof of booking your tests and journey details and contact details including your quarantine location. This and your pre flight Covid test must be presented at your departure airport. Big fines if you don't have them on arrival in the UK.

2 day and 8 day tests £180 the pair. I was quoted over £200 by several providers.

Thanks for the information much appreciated.