Thailand’s prisons on COVID-19 red alert

anchadian

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-prisons-on-covid-19-red-alert/

The Corrections Department has suspended visits to prisoners and detainees in all prisons, from Monday until May 5th, after over 100 prisoners and prison officials in Narathiwat and Surat Thani provinces were found to be infected with COVID-19.

The department has also imposed other measures to prevent the spread of the virus. No prisoners will be allowed to work outside their prisons, there will be no transfers between prisons, no outsiders are allowed entry to prisons and new prisoners will be isolated in separate cells for 14-21 days and be screened at least twice before they are to be moved out of isolation.

As many of us have said, it was only a matter of time.  Hard to believe that it has not occurred sooner.  Plus when you add in the families that visit, staff coming and going, and then deliveries being made, could that be where it originated from.  We will never know because they are only testing folks they trace, track, or who walk-in to a hospital with symptoms, which may be advanced after having tried to treat themselves via. the local pharmacy yet still roamed around before going to the hospital because they were afraid of being separated from friends and family.  It is a wonder there has not been a large scale outbreak like in Samut Sakhon after Christmas.  But with Songkran Travel coming, one never knows.  I do not wish ill on Thailand but to many who believe that they have had the tiger by the tail, I would say the opposite.  If only they tested more openly and randomly to anyone that wanted to be tested, and then to not hospitalize everyone that is positive. With my post there will be those who come along and once again spout off about "You cant hide the bodies or the full hospitals, and if Covid was here it would be all over social media".  As I said in my post folks are afraid of being stuck with the cost, stuck away from family, and stuck with the will of the government and they also seem to believe that Covid is not here and only the Burmese and foreigners are bring it in.  Good luck and stay safe folks.

• Thanks 1