AstraZeneca Covid vaccine will be Thailand’s ‘principal’ shot, says health minister

webfact

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So are your telling me we will still have a choice if you allow the private hospitals to pursue other vaccines right? Or that only the vaccine you decide in principal will be used and produce yourselves is what we will be allowed to obtain. Sorry, but I think I will wait until I have my choice Mr. Anutin.  

Agreed, but there is a reason why the private sector can not yet purchase vaccines.

Thai virologist Dr Yong Poovorawan explaines why.https://www.phnompenhpost.com/international/thai-virologist-breaks-down-why-private-sector-cant-procure-covid-19-vaccines

There is probably a miriad of regulations involved in moving a vaccine from emergency use to general use, so it may well be a long time before those that wish to choose the vaccine they use can do so in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

If all goes to plan then the Siam Bioscience Plant will be up and producing by June.

The plant will be expected to produce the 10million doses per Month that the Gov,t have said will be administered throughout the population.

What could possibly go wrong.

Exactly, what could possibly go wrong.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sungod said:

So 1 in a million 'may' get a blood clot?

Will you be stayiong home today incase you get hit by a bus?

...and what about the risks of refusing to be vaccinated?

OMG so all the vaccine stories have brought grown men to their knees fussing about which jab they'll get. Oh petals, don't worry.

Suspect even the Chinese and Russian vaccines work with very, very few aberrations. And the alternative is.. just stay away from everyone or wear a mask.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Donga said:

OMG so all the vaccine stories have brought grown men to their knees fussing about which jab they'll get. Oh petals, don't worry.

Suspect even the Chinese and Russian vaccines work with very, very few aberrations. And the alternative is.. just stay away from everyone or wear a mask.

What? For the rest of one's life stay away from everyone or wear a mask, what planet do you live on. 

3 hours ago, rasmus5150 said:

But I certainly will wait for the "green man" at the crossing, so I can minimize the chances of being run over by a bus.

Which crossing would this be?  They just keep driving where I am.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Donga said:

They all work, maybe some better than others, but they work!

I don't know of any country where you have the luxury of choosing which one you get.

Do you get to choose which flu shot you get? Probably not because you have no frikkin idea who made it in the first place!

Me and my wife showed up and got Pfizer. 

My daughter, son and ex wife all got Moderna. 

Do any of us care which one we got? Hell No, just glad we got it

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

The uk’s contract is the uk’s issue. 

The EU is focussed upon ensuring the EU’s contract is honoured. 

Lol. The EU making sure their contract is honoured by blocking exports to the UK so they can purloin the AZ vaccines that are being manufactured to fulfill the UK's contract. Then claiming they "don't respect the concept of first come first served". All because they were too cumbersome to place an order in good time.

The EU is behaving like an incompetent banana republic. Again.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Lol. The EU making sure their contract is honoured by blocking exports to the UK so they can purloin the AZ vaccines that are being manufactured to fulfill the UK's contract. Then claiming they "don't respect the concept of first come first served". All because they were too cumbersome to place an order in good time.

The EU is behaving like an incompetent banana republic. Again.

No, the EU is acting in the interests of its members and making sure az manufacturers honour the contract they have with the EU, as the article you posted a link to made clear. 

The manufacturers have an obligation to fulfil the contracts they agree to and the EU is holding them to that. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Defending the indefensible.

The UK ordered first and the contract states those orders must be fulfilled first. The EU ordered second and now they are embarrassed that they have been outmaneuvered by the UK. AZ said it must honour it's contracts to the UK which is 100% correct. So now the EU has sunk to the level of banning exports so they can purloin the vaccines that were being made for the UK by AZ.

AZ will honour the EU contract after the have honoured the UK contract, because the UK ordered first.

How would you feel if there was a shortage of food at the shops and you queue for an hour, then just as you reach the counter to buy some bread for your child someone walks into the shop, pushes in front of you in the queue and takes the last loaf of bread. When you complain that you were there first they say "I don't respect the logic of first come first served, and I'm just looking after the interests of my family". That in effect is what the EU is doing. They are acting like a tinpot third world dictatorship. A banana republic. 

Dominic Raab was spot on. And you know it.

image.png.158aeed912b19ed17d604b3fde4866e5.png

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/dominic-raab-eu-vaccine-covid-b1818671.html

Did the EU sign a UK first clause? Actually that was the opposite. Read 13.1 (e) in the contract.

"Her statement repeated the main points of article 13.1 of the EU contract with AstraZeneca, under which the company agreed not to have any contractual obligations that would limit its ability to meet EU commitments."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-eu-astrazeneca-idUSKBN2BM1PS

BTW, the agreement which has been signed early by UK was a UK supply chain agreement. The other contract (the final order) also specifying EU plants was signed after the EU order. So It's UK back in the queue for EU plants (in case the queue argument would have any significance).

Edited by candide
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like more trouble re Thailand's plans to make and use the AstraZeneca vaccine may be coming down the pike, as per the Associated Press

Official: EU Agency To Confirm AstraZeneca Blood Clot Link

ROME (AP) — A top official at the European Medicines Agency says there’s a causal link between AstraZeneca’s coronavirus vaccine and rare blood clots, but that it’s unclear what the connection is and that the benefits of taking the shot still outweigh the risks of getting COVID-19.

Marco Cavaleri, head of health threats and vaccine strategy at the Amsterdam-based agency, told Rome’s Il Messaggero newspaper on Tuesday that the European Union’s medicines regulator is preparing to make a more definitive statement on the topic this week.

Asked about Cavaleri’s comments, the EMA press office said its evaluation “has not yet reached a conclusion and the review is currently ongoing.” It said it planned a press conference as soon as the review is finalized, possibly Wednesday or Thursday.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/international/2021/04/07/official-eu-agency-to-confirm-astrazeneca-blood-clot-link/

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Looks like more trouble re Thailand's plans to make and use the AstraZeneca vaccine may be coming down the pike, as per the Associated Press

Official: EU Agency To Confirm AstraZeneca Blood Clot Link

ROME (AP) — A top official at the European Medicines Agency says there’s a causal link between AstraZeneca’s coronavirus vaccine and rare blood clots, but that it’s unclear what the connection is and that the benefits of taking the shot still outweigh the risks of getting COVID-19.

Marco Cavaleri, head of health threats and vaccine strategy at the Amsterdam-based agency, told Rome’s Il Messaggero newspaper on Tuesday that the European Union’s medicines regulator is preparing to make a more definitive statement on the topic this week.

Asked about Cavaleri’s comments, the EMA press office said its evaluation “has not yet reached a conclusion and the review is currently ongoing.” It said it planned a press conference as soon as the review is finalized, possibly Wednesday or Thursday.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/international/2021/04/07/official-eu-agency-to-confirm-astrazeneca-blood-clot-link/

Yes also been reported on the BBC now. They will stop giving the vaccine to the under 30's in the UK after the review found that 79 people in the UK suffered blood clots after vaccination, 19 of those died.

Regards vaccine supplies for the UK I doubt it will affect its plan much as they have plenty of alternatives. However where does this leave Thailand? With the Sinovac they made the decision not to give it to those over 60 years. Will they now follow suit with AZ and not give it to the 30's and under? 

In reality they can make up any shortfalls with ordering more Sinovac so shouldn't make too much difference and should not really stall their plans I hope, we need Thailand vaccinated as quickly as possible.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56665517

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

In reality they can make up any shortfalls with ordering more Sinovac so shouldn't make too much difference and should not really stall their plans I hope, we need Thailand vaccinated as quickly as possible.

AFAIK, Thailand's current plan for trying to vaccinate the majority of its population starting mid-year supposedly are largely based on the presumed future supply of their own, locally produced AZ vaccine version.

Depending on just what develops from these latest and coming news reports, those could potentially alter what age groups of people the vaccine might be safe for and/or make the local population more hesitant to accept the AZ vaccine.

How this all plays out is going to be quite interesting and concerning to see...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes also been reported on the BBC now. They will stop giving the vaccine to the under 30's in the UK after the review found that 79 people in the UK suffered blood clots after vaccination, 19 of those died.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56665517

From your BBC report:

"The review prompted the UK government's vaccine advisory group, the JCVI, to recommend that people aged 18 to 29 be offered an alternative vaccine where available."

Regarding the current AZ vaccine:

AZ.jpg.28ba20c0b987a05209b655ccd44f860f.jpg

What I'm not following with this latest issue re blood clots is... I don't remember blood clots being any identified issue/problem with the AZ vaccine during the original trials that were done with it... leading up to its emergency authorization approval.

The other issue is, the BBC article says those cited blood clot cases occurred among the 20 some million doses given in the UK. The article doesn't say whether that kind of incidence of blood clotting problems is above or below what might normally be expected even without any vaccine.

If my calculator is right, 79 problem incidences among 20 million doses given works out to a rate of 0.00000395%.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What I'm not following with this latest issue re blood clots is... I don't remember blood clots being any identified issue/problem with the AZ vaccine during the original trials that were done with it... leading up to its emergency authorization approval.

The other issue is, the BBC article says those cited blood clot cases occurred among the 20 some million people in the UK to have received the vaccine. The article doesn't say whether that kind of incidence of blood clotting problems is above or below what might normally be expected even without any vaccine.

Regards the trials, they were done in a number of countries including the largest in the US and apparently they did not pick up any blood clot symptoms but that said it is only in a wide roll out of millions that these have been picked up as they are so rare?

The other point to note is that the number of people with clots is not from a total of 20 million people but from a total of 20 million doses, so what the ratio is of actual people to that is unknown as we don't know how many people have only had one or two doses? As a consequence it cannot be calculated what might be expected even without vaccine?

So all still unclear really.

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The other point to note is that the number of people with clots is not from a total of 20 million people but from a total of 20 million doses,

Ya, I corrected that mis-statement in my post above... referring to doses given, and not numbers of people to have received the doses.

• Like 1

Two weeks ago, AZ submitted the results of its phase III trial involving some 32,000 participants in the US, Peru and Chile. No mention at all of any health issues or risks.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/content/astraz/media-centre/press-releases/2021/azd1222-us-phase-iii-primary-analysis-confirms-safety-and-efficacy.html

--76% vaccine efficacy against symptomatic COVID-19

--100% efficacy against severe or critical disease and hospitalisation

--85% efficacy against symptomatic COVID-19 in participants aged 65 years and over

"The vaccine was well tolerated, and no safety concerns related to the vaccine were identified."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 6:50 PM, vandeventer said:

Not sure how the video is relevant to the supply which, despite the questions about extremely rare blood clotting that might be involved, still does not affect the extreme shortage of the AstraZenica vaccine and other vaccines in Asia, Africa, India and Europe. I have not tallied up all the vaccinations so far but we are probably looking at well under a billion people vaccinated right now and there are 7.8 billion human beings on the planet. At this rate, we may not get near herd immunity (70%) before 2025, if ever.