More COVID cases in Surat Thani?

30th June +2 new Covid-19 cases; according to Samui Info by Nicha they are a "Thai F 42 yrs old infected from family member in Samut Prakan & Thai F 44 yrs old no travel history, under investigation".

• Like 2

I'm nervous for when the Samui sandbox opens. I hope the authorities can get a lot more people vaccinated before then.

OK. They won't have full immunity, but at least some protection.  If this delta variant gets here, all bets are off. Vaccinated or not. Far more transmissible

Edited by phetphet

12 hours ago, phetphet said:

I'm nervous for when the Samui sandbox opens. I hope the authorities can get a lot more people vaccinated before then.

OK. They won't have full immunity, but at least some protection.  If this delta variant gets here, all bets are off. Vaccinated or not. Far more transmissible

I am a lot more worried about domestic tourists coming back in numbers. A good example is Case #87, went to Samut Prakan and Bkk. Timeline mentions no word of negative test but as she came back with Ferry she could get into Samui anyway (most cases we had in Samui in the last month came the same way). Seems to be a huge loophole in the Samui Covid protocol.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Neilly said:

Case #89, German husband of case #88 yesterday.

Case #88 timeline...

2087924656_Covid89.jpg.42e5d93573494c782b5bc6be4a4afffc.jpg

So waits 3 days after onset of symptoms to get tested and drives all over the show while likely infectious. Then goes out while awaiting test result. 

Its people like this that let the whole system down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swimfan said:

So waits 3 days after onset of symptoms to get tested and drives all over the show while likely infectious. Then goes out while awaiting test result. 

Its people like this that let the whole system down.

That was my thought as well.

Likely that all of the school kids and their families will need to be tested?

I have friends who are self isolating - they are three steps away from this lady but better to be safe than sorry.

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

I was just summer camp, just a few hours in the morning, not full school...not sure how many were attending, but the kids have tested negative thankfully.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, phetphet said:

The latest results from Europe, where the delta-variant is spreading fast at the moment, especially in UK, is that even it's more transmissible, it's far less fatal than the previous variants. Furthermore the AZ vaccine seems to protects against the delta-variant; however Europe has no experience with Chinese Sinovac-vaccine.

I'm not scared about vaccinated incoming negative-testing foreigners, I would be way more scared of domestic commuters.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I'm not scared about vaccinated incoming negative-testing foreigners, I would be way more scared of domestic commuters.

Absolutely, 95% of Thais havent had a covid test and less than 5% have had two shots of a vaccine.

The Thai population of circa 70 million represent much more of virus risk nationwide than the few hundred thousand resident or tourist westerners......... however Mr Xenophobia in charge prefers his own version of reality.

Edited by sapson
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, khunPer said:

it's far less fatal

I think the evidence of that is still far from conclusive. Best to look at India’s 3rd wave as the data from the UK is skewed by the fact most of the delta infections are in the younger population and the majority of the adults and high risk groups are fully vaccinated. As for the Chinese vaccines if you look at countries with high usage they are seeing evidence of large delta outbreaks in vaccinated population. 

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I have friends who are self isolating - they are three steps away from this lady but better to be safe than sorry.

So was it the husband that brought it back to Samui? Would be nice to know his movements as well, and which school they attend. They might have tested negative, but if the mother mingled with anyone...

Same as you, I had a friend call yesterday and cancelled coming to my house  and plans to self isolate, as had been in contact with someone who had been near them.

He had been at my house last Saturday 26th. I was only vaccinated on 29th.

Not sure if I can get tested as will now have antibodies from vaccine? Anyone know if this affects test?

Edited by phetphet

What do you expect from this Government there happy pumping out the old " I have full trust in my prevention and pandemic ministers say PM " Then tells all construction workers I Thailand they will immediately be locked down because there spreading Covid ? by this simple act he has just spread covid to all provinces, because all the construction workers will have done a runner back to there provinces and took there infection with them because most will not have been tested let alone vaccinated.

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

So was it the husband that brought it back to Samui? Would be nice to know his movements as well, and which school they attend. They might have tested negative, but if the mother mingled with anyone...

Same as you, I had a friend call yesterday and cancelled coming to my house  and plans to self isolate, as had been in contact with someone who had been near them.

He had been at my house last Saturday 26th. I was only vaccinated on 29th.

Not sure if I can get tested as will now have antibodies from vaccine? Anyone know if this affects test?

No does not affect testing. They will be testing for the virus not antibodies if you have the correct PCR test done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swimfan said:

I think the evidence of that is still far from conclusive.

My statement is based on conclusions yesterday, probably by qualified experts, not what I'm thinking.

But this is then my speculation: I don't think you can compare India and transmission of virus with countries with just some level of precautions, Indian seems to be beyond control, whilst both Europe and Thailand actually are quite well controlled.

The migrant worker exodus from Dark Red-zoned Bangkok in the recent news stories is not that different from the European football fan-exodus, which actually have caused experts Delta-variant alarm in today's news from Europe.

16 minutes ago, khunPer said:

My statement is based on conclusions yesterday, probably by qualified experts, not what I'm thinking.

But this is then my speculation: I don't think you can compare India and transmission of virus with countries with just some level of precautions, Indian seems to be beyond control, whilst both Europe and Thailand actually are quite well controlled.

The migrant worker exodus from Dark Red-zoned Bangkok in the recent news stories is not that different from the European football fan-exodus, which actually have caused experts Delta-variant alarm in today's news from Europe.

I beg to differ on many of the above comments. As previously started the expert opinions I have researched say the evidence is not conclusive. 
Making statements that delta  is far less deadly without conclusive evidence may lull people into a false sense of security which in itself could prove to be deadly.
And I would hardly say Thailand and Europe have the situation under control. 

11 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

In fairness, if you look at the timeline the symptoms came shortly after the second jab. Speaking of personal experience you would probably put these symptoms down as a reaction to the vaccination. Very similar and expected outcome under normal circumstances. 

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

Case #89 timeline - I noticed June 27th at International School of Tourism for vaccination, we were many there on that day...

This is the original version...

1401378067_Partiii.thumb.jpg.0e686840ea73cacbb0362e61c256f2d6.jpg

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, phetphet said:

GF said another case on Samui was mentioned on the news today. Anyone heard anything?

Heard the same, a native travelling from Bangkok to Samui via Suratthani.

18th July Koh Phangan 
+1 case, a Provincial Waterworks Authority staff visited a family in Trang province who came back to Samui on the 14th, started to be sick on the 15th, went to the hospital and tested the 16th, confirmed positive on the 17th.

217786236_351760013148975_3196730869804571842_n.jpg.8c4841c58c52d2fee8ec387d4402e7c4.jpg

23 minutes ago, khunPer said:

18th July Koh Phangan 
+1 case, a Provincial Waterworks Authority staff visited a family in Trang province who came back to Samui on the 14th, started to be sick on the 15th, went to the hospital and tested the 16th, confirmed positive on the 17th.

217786236_351760013148975_3196730869804571842_n.jpg.8c4841c58c52d2fee8ec387d4402e7c4.jpg

Shouldn't that read "Total number of infections"?  ????‍♂️

Pretty sure they have given more than 113 injections.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Shouldn't that read "Total number of infections"?  ????‍♂️

Pretty sure they have given more than 113 injections.

Yes, seems like Nicha hit a wrong key when making his otherwise always excellent graphics...????

19th July update, +1 case on Samui...

Nicha says:

????Thai M 26 years old : (Imported case from Bangkok, High-risk contact, arrived in Samui on the 18/07, got tested on the same day at 10am, confirmed positive at 10pm and immediately went to Ko Samui Hospital)

219140962_352920886366221_3948787295820766509_n.jpg.7a9e58e72c0f80c4c39712cc78b06cfa.jpg