Covid from Bangkok nightclubs spreads rapidly nationwide - 600+ cases in 32 provinces and counting

webfact

5pm.jpg
Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that Covid-19 cases linked to nightclubs in the Thong Lor area of Bangkok have now reached 604 cases in 32 provinces.

The stats show how quickly the virus has spread and cases reported yesterday are already well out of date.

For example the media said there was an associated cluster of 50 in Sa Kaeo in the east and Hua Hin were reporting more than 80 cases though how many of these were directly related to the Bangkok cluster was unsure.

Dr Chawetsan Namwat of the infectious disease department said that 93.71% of the 604 infections were Thais with 3.81% Japanese and the rest other nationalities. 

Of these 36 had symptoms and 64 were asymptomatic. 

5pm1.jpg
Image: Daily News

With the upcoming Songkran holidays and the exodus to the countryside now in full swing, critics of the government's decision to promote interprovincial travel are becoming more vocal. 

Meanwhile Daily News reported that 466,374 people have received their at least one dose of vaccine since the rollout began on February 28th (until April 8th).

Of these 405,911 have had one dose and 60,463 have had two jabs. 

Many countries have managed millions of jabs in the same timeframe. 

• Sad 2

Cornwall!!!  That will get the alligators off the shore.  Haha.  

But on a serious note.  This virus version will now give Thailand a proper test of how they can fend. 

Fiance's in thonglor says the number today is 789 so i think this number 600 is out of date. 

Prayut the homebody is getting a tad fussy. 

Anytime I've seen a spike like this in the news it keeps going much higher than you can imagine.  My own state of Utah, ( population < 3 million), passed 500 cases/day last june.  And then peaked in near 4000.  

3 mill= 4000 then 70 million = ? 

She said 4-5 hospitals at capacity?  Is this true.  

26 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Cornwall!!!  That will get the alligators off the shore.  Haha.  

But on a serious note.  This virus version will now give Thailand a proper test of how they can fend. 

Fiance's in thonglor says the number today is 789 so i think this number 600 is out of date. 

Prayut the homebody is getting a tad fussy. 

Anytime I've seen a spike like this in the news it keeps going much higher than you can imagine.  My own state of Utah, ( population < 3 million), passed 500 cases/day last june.  And then peaked in near 4000.  

3 mill= 4000 then 70 million = ? 

She said 4-5 hospitals at capacity?  Is this true.  

the numbers are based on current testing rate which compared to other countries is abysmal 

Thailand is failing both on testing and vaccination - no real surprise is it

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

By that pace it will take 9 years for first doses to be completed for 60% of the population ! 

Thailand opening up appears to be getting further and further away by the day

Guess you missed the report about the millions of doses being available here in the next few months.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

1. They have not been delivered yet.

2. Even at a million a month it will take three and a half years. They need tens of million in the next few months - not millions.

3. I take it you did not read the line ' Many countries have managed millions of jabs in the same timeframe.' Thailand is now behind in roll AND testing, please don't defend that.

Please. Read the article. It's way more than 1 million a month.

57 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

By that pace it will take 9 years for first doses to be completed for 60% of the population ! 

Thailand opening up appears to be getting further and further away by the day

Agree

and you not even mention the fact that most of these doses were Sinovac

with an official efficiency rate of only 50% against the virus 

(It's even less against the new strains)

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 1:59 PM, kingofthemountain said:

Agree

and you not even mention the fact that most of these doses were Sinovac

with an official efficiency rate of only 50% against the virus 

(It's even less against the new strains)

So if 50% of the population takes a vaccine at best 50% effective, is that like 25% coverage?

Amazing things numbers.

53 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

So if 50% of the population takes a vaccine at best 50% effective, is that like 25% coverage?

Amazing things numbers.

To vaccinate 50% of the Thai population could easily take 1 or 2 years

iirc a country is considered as having the herd imunity at 70-80% of

the population vaccinated (With a vaccine having 70-80% of eficiency rate)

With the actual plan, Thailand should reach this objective around 2025

considering the protection given by the vaccine last 6 month to 1 year maximum

so they have to revaccinate the ones from the previous year plus the new ones

(If we don't have new strains making the actual vaccines useless)

On 4/10/2021 at 12:12 PM, Jeffr2 said:

Where are those members that said this was just scare mongering by the government? Right...

600 is just the tip of the iceberg.

600 people found with the infection, which means nothing, it could be 1,000s, but due to minimal testing , the true figure is unknown

But crucially, no reports of people in ICUs or any additional deaths

97 deaths in 16 months from Covid, and everybody runs scared

1,867  average deaths from the flu in the same time period, and nobody even notices or cares

Seems its not so deadly in Thailand  

10 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

the protection given by the vaccine last 6 month to 1 year maximum

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/13/covid-vaccine-moderna-says-new-data-shows-its-90percent-effective-six-months-after-second-dose.html

"Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine was more than 90% effective at protecting against Covid and more than 95% effective against severe disease up to six months after the second dose, the company said Tuesday, citing updated data from its phase three clinical trial."

I understand that a decrease in immune protection is a  gradual process and if it is 90% to 95% at six months it is not expected to be zero at 7 months.  I have not seen anything that states what the maximum  length of protection could be.  I think that any estimate of efficacy past 6 months would be a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess) or a theoretical estimate since there cannot be observations when the first vaccinations were not that long ago.

The duration of protection cannot be known with certainty at this time, time will tell.