Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

5 hours ago, sas_cars said:

Sorry if I missed but what process did you do to transfer the funds out as thai citizen?

I asked a few Thai people, but none of them had an account in another country. I will check with the bank myself in a few days and report back.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, samran said:

In my experience they generally just don’t care. The only people who do care are the airlines who need to know you have a visa, or the right to enter the destination. You don’t make it as far as immigration unless the airline give you a boarding pass.

We regularly go through as a family and as such can’t use the gates given the kids are too young. The whole ‘where is your visa’ question has never been asked. 

Fortunately it has not happened to me but I heard from several duals including luk krung, Thais naturalised as aliens and aliens naturalised as Thais in the past that they were asked for their "other pp" when they presented to an IO with a boarding pass to a country that requires visas. A Thai naturalised as an alien presented a US passport and got scolded being told "you know you are not supposed to have another nationality".  To which he said, "No, I didn't know that," and was allowed through without further issue. A naturalised Thai said it happened to him several times and the IO was rather surly but didn't make any comment.  Some luk krung have received the same surly treatment as the naturalised Thai. All these cases happened some time ago before the e-gates were installed. Hopefully there has been a change of policy since then, now they know that thousands of duals are passing through the e-gates without them being able to waste their time and everyone else's by scrutinising Thai passports for a visa to the destination country which is the job of the airlines anyway.

Mrs Arkady came up against a thoroughly unpleasant female IO on her way to London when the e-gates were not working yet again. The IO spent a long time looking for her 10 year UK visa which she was too stupid to understand, so needed it explained to her.  However, it seemed like the IO was more intent on insulting Mrs A by insinuating that she was not really travelling with her husband but was going to work illegally as a hooker or some such, no doubt out of jealously that she had no chance to travel to Europe herself. Meanwhile, I was being stamped through visaless by a smiling male IO in another queue without any questions.  On another occasion I encountered a female IO who was profusely apologetic that I had had to wait 30 minutes in a huge queue due to the non-functional gates (apparently it is considered perfectly OK for foreigners to wait in huge queues) and didn't look for visas.  Non of this will prevent me from getting butterflies whenever I have to go through a manual counter, filled with paranoid thoughts about the declaration.    

On 8/7/2018 at 11:10 PM, Neeranam said:

When are you officially Thai?

Is it after the Minister's signature?

After the Royal Gazette?

After doing the oath?

After getting the ID card?

In principle after the RG Announcement you are Thai. But, you can’t be a Thai citizen without a Naturalisation Certificate which is the KEY to get you the ID card and enter into Blue book.

IMO, and as a newly acquired Thai citizen, ID card is the only thing which is recognised as Thai in the society and all government offices. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, sathuluv said:

In principle after the RG Announcement you are Thai. But, you can’t be a Thai citizen without a Naturalisation Certificate which is the KEY to get you the ID card and enter into Blue book.

IMO, and as a newly acquired Thai citizen, ID card is the only thing which is recognised as Thai in the society and all government offices. 

That's true from an operational point of view, but now if you had to define at which precise step of the lengthy process you have no more blocking hurdle (and nobody can refuse to issue your ID card) then it would be the publication to RG, right? Naturalization certificate and ID card issuance seem just an execution of the official publication.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

It's just a formality, I think.once you get there, it's already a done deal.

Lol, famous last words.

My wife has just put my passport through the washing machine, and although wet, still has some information on it.

My current visa has gone.

I do have copies.

Should I immediately get a new one before being summoned to the MOI interview, or would an emergency travel document be OK, or would my wet passport be OK? I know they have copies of my passport.

It's a huge inconvenience traveling to Bangkok for a new passport, and I don't know how long it takes. It's a British one.

Any advice much appreciated.

On 8/10/2018 at 4:54 PM, Arkady said:

Fortunately it has not happened to me but I heard from several duals including luk krung, Thais naturalised as aliens and aliens naturalised as Thais in the past that they were asked for their "other pp" when they presented to an IO with a boarding pass to a country that requires visas. A Thai naturalised as an alien presented a US passport and got scolded being told "you know you are not supposed to have another nationality".  To which he said, "No, I didn't know that," and was allowed through without further issue. A naturalised Thai said it happened to him several times and the IO was rather surly but didn't make any comment.  Some luk krung have received the same surly treatment as the naturalised Thai. All these cases happened some time ago before the e-gates were installed. Hopefully there has been a change of policy since then, now they know that thousands of duals are passing through the e-gates without them being able to waste their time and everyone else's by scrutinising Thai passports for a visa to the destination country which is the job of the airlines anyway.

Mrs Arkady came up against a thoroughly unpleasant female IO on her way to London when the e-gates were not working yet again. The IO spent a long time looking for her 10 year UK visa which she was too stupid to understand, so needed it explained to her.  However, it seemed like the IO was more intent on insulting Mrs A by insinuating that she was not really travelling with her husband but was going to work illegally as a hooker or some such, no doubt out of jealously that she had no chance to travel to Europe herself. Meanwhile, I was being stamped through visaless by a smiling male IO in another queue without any questions.  On another occasion I encountered a female IO who was profusely apologetic that I had had to wait 30 minutes in a huge queue due to the non-functional gates (apparently it is considered perfectly OK for foreigners to wait in huge queues) and didn't look for visas.  Non of this will prevent me from getting butterflies whenever I have to go through a manual counter, filled with paranoid thoughts about the declaration.    

In must admit it took me about a dozen years to get over the stamp paranoia.

i remember once asking in the early 2000s leaving Australia - after they swiped my aussie passport out whether they’d mind putting an departure stamp in my thai passport after I told the Aussie IO ‘they like their stamps in Thailand’

The lady hesitated for half a second but then stamped it without scanning it but lo and behold these things were never checked on the Thai side. 

As with anything, peoples experience will differ, but as you say, most of this is in the past. 

Ive said here before my mum once plonked down both passports upon arrival and they just took her Thai one and stamped it in. 

My sister turned up on a clean thai PP issued in London and had no issue while I turned up on my clean Thai PP issued in Canberra and they inisisted on stamping my old expired one. 

Leaving I thing thai women face the most scrutiny of anyone if there is the suspicion of trafficking happening. Not justifying the bad treatment but it seems to be the way the world is going. I always have a letter with permission from my wife if I am travelling alone with the kidlets just to be on the safe side, so I guess one paranoia has replaced another!

Edited by samran

23 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

That's true from an operational point of view, but now if you had to define at which precise step of the lengthy process you have no more blocking hurdle (and nobody can refuse to issue your ID card) then it would be the publication to RG, right? Naturalization certificate and ID card issuance seem just an execution of the official publication.

Naturalisation Certificate issues by the SB Police is based RG announcement.

So, RG is the evidence that you’re Thai entitled to process your documents. 

Yes, once you have the Naturalisation certificate Amphur can’t deny you issuing your ID card or refuse entry into the house blue book. Hope this helps. 

On 8/2/2018 at 3:13 PM, sathuluv said:

The latest was on 15th May 2018. Below steps could help you to check after the oath (6+weeks).

1. http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/RKJ/announce/search.jsp
  2. In the search field type ได้สัญชาติไทย and hit search
  3. Go to the last page now its page 9
  4. Scroll down the page 9 and see the last entry 881 was published on 15th May 2018.
    Hint: I use chrome browse to translate to English. So the above steps can help to check the status.

I see another batch published on Thursday (Signed by the Minister on 29/06).

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2561/D/060/10.PDF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2018 at 11:29 AM, GabbaGabbaHey said:

I see another batch published on Thursday (Signed by the Minister on 29/06).

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2561/D/060/10.PDF

Signed June 29th, 2018. Published August 9th, 2018. 5 weeks elapsed.

~11 weeks between the 2 most recent citizenship publications. 

13 weeks since my oath; so close and yet so far! TIT

Thanks for for helping keep an eye on the RTG Sathuluv and GGH!

BTW- This June 29th signing off was 7 weeks after my oath and I didn’t get into that group. ?

Edited by Kwarium
BTW-

On 8/11/2018 at 12:40 PM, Neeranam said:

Lol, famous last words.

My wife has just put my passport through the washing machine, and although wet, still has some information on it.

My current visa has gone.

I do have copies.

Should I immediately get a new one before being summoned to the MOI interview, or would an emergency travel document be OK, or would my wet passport be OK? I know they have copies of my passport.

It's a huge inconvenience traveling to Bangkok for a new passport, and I don't know how long it takes. It's a British one.

Any advice much appreciated.

I went to the MOI interview with every document imaginable ...and copies. No one even asked to see my passport, work permit or anything else. 5 hour wait, 5 minute meeting. I posted about it at one point.

You can probably get a new visa stamped into the dried out passport.

good luck!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

I went to the MOI interview with every document imaginable ...and copies. No one even asked to see my passport, work permit or anything else. 5 hour wait, 5 minute meeting. I posted about it at one point.

You can probably get a new visa stamped into the dried out passport.

good luck!

Yeah, I remember reading this.

I suppose they have a file with all my details in it. However, I'm sure there are others that were asked for their passport. Better safe than sorry,  I'm applying for a new one.

Btw, how much notice were you given by the MOI for the interview?

Also, did they, or Special Branch call you?

I got a call from an unknown guy on a Thursday to be there the following Monday. He then added me on Line and sent me a doc to take. Whoever it was never responded to me again. 

My case seems to be slower than average at every turn. No idea why as I seem to have good rapport with everyone encountered.  The MOI staff were particularly friendly and light hearted. TIT

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

Do you have to be in the same room with other applicants and listen to their interview (and possible singing) for several hours? Or is just a queue outside and one person/family entering at a time?

1 hour ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Do you have to be in the same room with other applicants and listen to their interview (and possible singing) for several hours? Or is just a queue outside and one person/family entering at a time?

The waiting room is across a wide hallway from the closed door interview conference room. They call you out to a bench in the hallway a few at a time to be ready for your turn inside. There are some big tables and plenty of chairs in the waiting room. I read, went to lunch in the canteen downstairs, practiced writing my full name in Thai, since I struggled mightily on the sign in sheet. Everyone was very quiet, maybe nervous? The 3 or 4 staff seemed to be trying to lighten the mood as much as possible. Be relaxed,  be yourself, be polite. I did not get the impression anyone was there to catch anyone out at all.

The queue runs according to the pre printed list/sign in sheet, so getting there 45 min. early was no help at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2018 at 6:48 PM, Kwarium said:

I got a call from an unknown guy on a Thursday to be there the following Monday. He then added me on Line and sent me a doc to take. Whoever it was never responded to me again. 

My case seems to be slower than average at every turn. No idea why as I seem to have good rapport with everyone encountered.  The MOI staff were particularly friendly and light hearted. TIT

Thanks for the reply - not much notice are all, especially for baan nawk folks, like myself. 

Thanks for the reply - not much notice are all, especially for baan nawk folks, like myself. 

Baan nawk folks drive a pick-up truck not a Mazda CX-3 SP.

No worries. Don't get stressed. You qualified and eventually, you'll be a Thai national. It takes time though. Sometimes more than you hoped for.
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rhys said:

Thus after all the hoops is it worth it?

I've never considered the application process as going through hoops over and over again. 

To get the application all in order, yes, several things had to be done such as translations and travels to the municipalities or SB. Then it's just sitting back and wait. A couple of months later my application was sent to MOI. 3 years later I got the interview. 1 1/2 later approval by MOI. 8 months later I obtained my Thai ID. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, aidenai said:

Baan nawk folks drive a pick-up truck not a Mazda CX-3 SP.

No worries. Don't get stressed. You qualified and eventually, you'll be a Thai national. It takes time though. Sometimes more than you hoped for.

Maybe you're not been to Khon Kaen recently. Look what I saw the other day.

RR.PNG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SkyNets said:

Does anybody have a link to download the application form (permanent resident based on marriage)? Thanks

It's true that all documents (brochure, details, application forms...) used to be available in the download section of the SB website when I started the process in early 2017, but I see they have removed them and today all you can find is an unofficial excel sheet checklist which must have been created by an applicant some time ago.

I'd say the starting point is to go to see Special Branch (SB, in Bangkok) and get the current list of requirements, but in this forum -and from the excel I mentioned above- you can get an idea of the requirements and quickly see what are your chances to pass. Eventually SB will fill the application form for you when all your documents are complete.

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey

5 hours ago, SkyNets said:

Does anybody have a link to download the application form (permanent resident based on marriage)? Thanks

wouldn't it be easier to skip permanent residency and go straight to citizenship based on marriage. 

If your home country allows it.