Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

16 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

GGH- My MOI interview was 14 months ago, in August 2017, 2 years and 6 months after SB did the summary letter. They did that 10 months after my NIA/ McDonalds interview.

Congratulations!

I did my NIA in January.

Hopefully, I'll get a call soon, but to be honest I've learned to forget the time and just get on with things, as it might take ages.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Congratulations!

I did my NIA in January.

Hopefully, I'll get a call soon, ... it might take ages.

Yep, it might! I was able to put it so far into the back of my mind I forgot what year I applied. That helped, but it did take ages! 

Good luck!

14 hours ago, Kwarium said:

SWW- Good on ya for keeping your chin up. Hope you got that run of bad woman luck far behind you.

GGH- My MOI interview was 14 months ago, in August 2017, 2 years and 6 months after SB did the summary letter. They did that 10 months after my NIA/ McDonalds interview.

Thanks Kwarium. I am still in the process of putting that behind me. Sometimes these things take a lot longer than you hope. I am still thinking positively, even though it's going to be a good seven years before I can apply again, making it a full decade from now (and a whole lot more money) before I will be where I was a year ago.

31 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If I remember correctly, he did it in January, the same as me. I haven't been notified of this.

I understand we're talking about the MOI interview here (not the NIA) and, if he's been scheduled his interview at MOI which is what I understand, I'd like to know how many months it took from MOI getting his application to MOI scheduling his interview.

4 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

I understand we're talking about the MOI interview here (not the NIA) and, if he's been scheduled his interview at MOI which is what I understand, I'd like to know how many months it took from MOI getting his application to MOI scheduling his interview.

He had the NIA in January, the same as me. So I assume the letter was was sent in March to the MOI, the same as mine.

I was informed they had some interviews this week, on a different note for people who have had their MOI interviews already, usually what is the process ? i have heard various versions of events, some had very easy interviews whereas some had very long and difficult ones, also do they tell you right after you finish if you have passed or not ? in the past some people i know who have gotten their Thai nationality were told right after they finished if they passed , but lately i have heard they don't tell you anymore and just say we will contact you with the results in a couple of months, another point is that if you fail will they mention that during the interview and tell you to come back, in case your Thai language skills are not good enough etc ? 

2 hours ago, danielcondo said:

I was informed they had some interviews this week, on a different note for people who have had their MOI interviews already, usually what is the process ? i have heard various versions of events, some had very easy interviews whereas some had very long and difficult ones, also do they tell you right after you finish if you have passed or not ? in the past some people i know who have gotten their Thai nationality were told right after they finished if they passed , but lately i have heard they don't tell you anymore and just say we will contact you with the results in a couple of months, another point is that if you fail will they mention that during the interview and tell you to come back, in case your Thai language skills are not good enough etc ? 

Did they call you and give you an exact date?

I thought the interview was just a formality. They only call you for interview if everything use in order.

I could be wrong.

Does anyone know how many interview are given in one day?

I was told that there are 30 in the process before me.

I was told by some staff that i know working at MOI at the interview was earlier this week, also the current waiting times are mostly 2 years from NIA to MOI interviews, there some exceptions and rare cases where its earlier but mostly everyone has been waiting over 2 years to get an interview date, also the interview is not a formality, if your points are not enough which are based on various factors even things such as getting a degree in a Thai University etc then for people that don't have enough points would need to score well on the interview for them to pass the citizenship test and requirements.

However as mentioned in my earlier post im quite interested to know if anyone has failed on the interview part here at first or if they passed how they were informed and what was the process afterwards.

On 11/15/2018 at 10:22 AM, danielcondo said:

mostly everyone has been waiting over 2 years to get an interview date, also the interview is not a formality, if your points are not enough which are based on various factors

I had to wait 11 months from NIA to MOI. They told me at the MOI interview a couple of months ago, that it was just a formality as they don't interview people who are under the 50 points.

On 11/16/2018 at 10:33 AM, MrPatrickThai said:

I had to wait 11 months from NIA to MOI. They told me at the MOI interview a couple of months ago, that it was just a formality as they don't interview people who are under the 50 points.

Interesting, you're a month or two ahead of me.

I've been working in Thailand for over 20 years and believe I qualify for Citizenship. I am a bit undecided as I am 60 years old and would probably be retired by the time I got it.

My question is to those who have gone through the process -  how long did it take you from start to finish?

Also, would it be worth it at my age?

4 minutes ago, Rugon said:

I've been working in Thailand for over 20 years and believe I qualify for Citizenship. I am a bit undecided as I am 60 years old and would probably be retired by the time I got it.

My question is to those who have gone through the process -  how long did it take you from start to finish?

Are you legally married to a thai? 

On 10/22/2018 at 2:51 PM, Kwarium said:

One thing is for sure, there is no pattern to how long it takes for applicants between steps of the process, even within the same year.

MOI interview end of August 2017

Oath early May 2018, over 8 months later.

At least one other poster did 2 or 3 steps during that time and is done.

Royal Gazette publications of citizenship since December have been spaced at 8, 2, 6, 3, and 11 weeks. It has now been 10 weeks since the last list was published on August 9th.

The waiting is harder near the end! For a few years I totally put it out of my mind and even forgot how long ago I had applied. It looks like it will be 4-1/2 years all in if I’m lucky over the next few months! ????

Could the process be sped up by 'presents' like a bottle of Johnny or durian chips?

It took me 3 years. I can't see any down sides to Thai citizenship no matter what age you are. Once you retire the right to work without a work permit could still be relevant if you want part time employment. Also the fact that you don't need a visa, 90 day reporting and the right to own land are all useful. 

33 minutes ago, Big Guns said:

It took me 3 years. I can't see any down sides to Thai citizenship no matter what age you are. Once you retire the right to work without a work permit could still be relevant if you want part time employment. Also the fact that you don't need a visa, 90 day reporting and the right to own land are all useful. 

Indeed, I can't see any downside too. If it's 3 years only, I'll start getting my documents together and start the first step. I was under the impression it took more like 5-10 years! 

Was the 3 years from applying to getting your passport?

24 minutes ago, Rugon said:

Indeed, I can't see any downside too. If it's 3 years only, I'll start getting my documents together and start the first step. I was under the impression it took more like 5-10 years! 

Was the 3 years from applying to getting your passport?

But you must keep on working. If you retire before the process is completed, you cease to qualify. Apply as soon as possible as once a civilian government is in power, things may slowly revert back to pre-coup time lines.  This is one of the few things that improved greatly when the Junta took over.  

22 hours ago, GarryP said:

But you must keep on working. If you retire before the process is completed, you cease to qualify. Apply as soon as possible as once a civilian government is in power, things may slowly revert back to pre-coup time lines.  This is one of the few things that improved greatly when the Junta took over.  

Thanks to you, and all others, I'm going down to visit Special Police on Thursday to get a checklist.

4 hours ago, Rugon said:

Saw a very nice case officer today at the Special Branch police. Everything looks easy but he did say it could be up to 3-4 years! I've already started collecting all the required documents.

They like to give the worst case scenario, for some reason. Good luck!

On 11/19/2018 at 8:58 AM, Rugon said:

Yes!

It seems to me the alternative to not applying is 20 to 25 years or more of 90 day reports, bank balance checks and hassles, re-entry permits, address reporting after traveling, etc.

I would absolutely work a few extra years in order to get citizenship while on a work permit. It is quite possible that married with two kids is one of the smoothest tracks to getting it done.

3-4 years would be quicker than many here, mine is 4.5 years and I am soooo nearly there! Now it’s been delayed by having to change provinces to get on a house book and get my ID. Seems MOI have to issue a new letter to the new province district office. My original BKK yellow house book address got sold to a company 6 months before my case was wrapping up.

For reference, the process after finally getting published in the Royal Gazette is:

-pick up naturalization certificate and certified copy of RG from Special Branch Police.

-Take all above to the original District Office of your yellow house book. A letter will have been sent from Ministry of Interior to the District Office confirming your naturalization. Had never heard mention of this letter before.

-DO will enter you into the original blue house book which your yellow house book is associated with. Blue house book owner will need to be present. (As the address I was on got sold, I had no way to contact the new blue book owner, who likely would have laughed if they heard a random farang wanted to be entered into the house book.)

-once you are in a blue book a Thai ID is issued. Sorted and passport can be applied for.

BTW- I was told work permit would not be needed after MOI interview, but an updated copy was requested by SB at the Oath.

Good luck all!

On 11/19/2018 at 8:58 AM, Rugon said:

If you already have permanent residence, you may debate whether it is worth getting citizenship as your retirement will be relatively hassle free.  However, for those dependent on retirement or marriage extensions life seems to have taken a turn for the worse, with embassies now refusing to issue pension letters after Immigration put pressure on them to verify pension incomes rather than verify the pensioners' signatures on self declarations. Things can only get worse for foreign retirees in Thailand.  There are now huge numbers of them and Immigration's view seems to be that they of little value to the Thai economy and society, unless they are big spenders locally. 

To apply for citizenship, you are supposed to remain in employment throughout the process.  However, in practice you are unlikely to be asked for your work permit after you have made the oath of allegiance.

Hey Everyone, 

Its my first time on here and im glad i found this forum.

Im in the process of getting my Thai citizenship, my journey started last year in April, had been in Thailand almost 17 years, in my late 30's now, went to University here and also married a Thai citizen and have 2 Children as well. 

I applied and passed my interviews etc at SB and NIA last year in early May, my file was sent to MOI around Aug 2017 from what i was told, i got my MOI interview done last week and everything went smoothly.

Just wondering what to expect next, i was told that i will most likely get my citizenship between June to September next year 2019 starting from this point.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks !!

Tylor  

18 minutes ago, Tylor said:

Hey Everyone, 

Its my first time on here and im glad i found this forum.

Im in the process of getting my Thai citizenship, my journey started last year in April, had been in Thailand almost 17 years, in my late 30's now, went to University here and also married a Thai citizen and have 2 Children as well. 

I applied and passed my interviews etc at SB and NIA last year in early May, my file was sent to MOI around Aug 2017 from what i was told, i got my MOI interview done last week and everything went smoothly.

Just wondering what to expect next, i was told that i will most likely get my citizenship between June to September next year 2019 starting from this point.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks !!

Tylor  

Congratulations! 

any chance you could provide some details of the interview process? 

Thanks 

Archived