Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I didn't know there was such a thing.

Do you mean citizenship based on marriage?

Well the goal would be citizenship but thought permanent resident was a requirement to apply for that. Hmm aren't they very similar, just the right to vote comes with citizenship?

3 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

It's true that all documents (brochure, details, application forms...) used to be available in the download section of the SB website when I started the process in early 2017, but I see they have removed them and today all you can find is an unofficial excel sheet checklist which must have been created by an applicant some time ago.

I'd say the starting point is to go to see Special Branch (SB, in Bangkok) and get the current list of requirements, but in this forum -and from the excel I mentioned above- you can get an idea of the requirements and quickly see what are your chances to pass. Eventually SB will fill the application form for you when all your documents are complete.

3 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Yeah current information is so hard to find, where would we be without TV :) yes will ask around on my next extension.

14 hours ago, SkyNets said:

Well the goal would be citizenship but thought permanent resident was a requirement to apply for that. Hmm aren't they very similar, just the right to vote comes with citizenship?

If married to a Thai you do not have to have permanent residency to apply for Thai nationality.

You cannot really compare permanent residency with having Thai citizenship.

You are a Thai citizen and have all the same rights as any other one. You get a Thai passport, ID card and etc. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If married to a Thai you do not have to have permanent residency to apply for Thai nationality.

You cannot really compare permanent residency with having Thai citizenship.

You are a Thai citizen and have all the same rights as any other one. You get a Thai passport, ID card and etc. 

What I find strange is that some PR's think they have something remotely close citizenship, when really they have few real benefits. Even funnier is the guys that say they have have a Thai ID card, when in fact they only have a pink alien card,.

A watched pot never boils.

Jai yen yen.

etc., etc.

:wai:

I am at 50 months since application, so have a pretty good perspective on the above.

Not everyone can be a Sathuluv! ? ?? Congrats, Sathuluv!

On 8/22/2018 at 10:58 AM, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Sadly we have few -if not zero- active people who just attended or just got scheduled their MOI interview and could report for all of us waiting how many months it was after SB had sent their application to MOI. Really, nobody?

My case is horribly complicated, but I was called to the MoI interview about two years after my application was sent by SB.

However, I may still not be able to take the interview because of reasons (the ‘complicated’ bit).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SWW said:

My case is horribly complicated, but I was called to the MoI interview about two years after my application was sent by SB.

However, I may still not be able to take the interview because of reasons (the ‘complicated’ bit).

Thanks for the update. I would take your place in the interview queue ?  I hope it all works out for you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi
Two questions.
I would like to apply for citizenship by June 2019 ( will be Forty years old by then)
Now planning for a job change and will be joining the new employer at the beginning of October 2018. In the previous job changes (different provinces) what I noticed is the labour department used to keep the cancelled work permits with them. My question is, how I could keep the record of work experience while changing job for citizenship application? The new employer is from a different province.
Will Non-Imm visas (B and O) expires if we stay longer periods (Say few months) outside Thailand? 
Thank you in advance. 

10 hours ago, RajeshNL said:

Will Non-Imm visas (B and O) expires if we stay longer periods (Say few months) outside Thailand? 
Thank you in advance. 

I am not sure about the first question, so I'll answer only to this one.

The visas will expire on their expiry date, regardless of where you are. However, they are usually single-entry and therefore become invalid when you leave. To prevent that, you can apply for a re-entry permit before leaving.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RajeshNL said:

To apply for citizenship you must have 3 years of continuous employment and be on extensions of stay issued by immigration if married to a Thai. Entries from a multiple entry visa issued by a embassy or consulate are not accepted.

I cannot see how you could be employed here and be outside the country for a long time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

To apply for citizenship you must have 3 years of continuous employment and be on extensions of stay issued by immigration if married to a Thai. Entries from a multiple entry visa issued by a embassy or consulate are not accepted.

I cannot see how you could be employed here and be outside the country for a long time.

Additionally, they (Special Branch, at least) like to see you having worked for the same company for three years - so switching jobs would be not advisable. I gather that the MoI is more forgiving in that regard, so once the initial part of the process is done it should be OK - but if you do switch jobs after that and before the MoI interview, you would need to do so fairly quickly, and not have too long a time in between work permits.

Finally, one of the more important parts of the documentation is the tax statements for the three previous years. Those are scrutinized in some detail, and I was asked why the total amount declared for tax was more than my salary (answer: I got a bonus in one of the months), and they made me go back to my employer and have them take the amount declared in my last tax statement, divide it by 12, and declare that as my salary. Baffling to me, but it kept them happy. ALSO - make sure your statement of employment from your employer has the exact same job description as your work permit does. They will bounce it if they do not match.

• Like 1

Hi All,

I am about to start the process of applying for Thai citizenship and based on what I have heard and read so far I believe that I met at least basic requirements for obtaining Thai citizenship:

- Living in Thailand for 8 consecutive years 

- Graduate Master’s Degree in Thailand, at Government University

- Having a valid work permit for more than 3  consecutive years working at the same company all the time

- Paying government taxes for more than 3 consecutive years

- Married to Thai national

- Heaving child with Thai national born in Thailand  

- Speaking basic Thai language  

I would appreciate any advice on the process and any updates on current situation eg.

- Is there anyone who had apply for Thai citizenship in any other province then doing so in Bangkok? Preferably Nonthaburi.

(if yes please share your experience whether it is positive or negative)

- Are there any documents from your home country that you are suppose to submit when applying for Thai citizenship (apart form your passport and criminal record statement) 

- Does anyone have any updates on monthly income requirements? (in case of being married to Thai national and have kid with Thai national born in   Thailand )

- Donations  - would it be big negative impact if I haven't done it or if I do not have prove even I have donate before? Would it be too late if I start doing it now?

Thank you in advance!

14 minutes ago, Dule said:

Hi All,

I am about to start the process of applying for Thai citizenship and based on what I have heard and read so far I believe that I met at least basic requirements for obtaining Thai citizenship:

- Having a valid work permit for more than 3  consecutive years working at the same company all the time

I would appreciate any advice on the process and any updates on current situation eg.

- Is there anyone who had apply for Thai citizenship in any other province then doing so in Bangkok? Preferably Nonthaburi.

- Are there any documents from your home country that you are suppose to submit when applying for Thai citizenship (apart form your passport and criminal record statement) 

- Does anyone have any updates on monthly income requirements? (in case of being married to Thai national and have kid with Thai national born in   Thailand )

- Donations  - would it be big negative impact if I haven't done it or if I do not have prove even I have donate before? Would it be too late if I start doing it now?

Thank you in advance!

Your wife should be able to get some receipts which are 100% needed. I tried to go to Chonburi which was a waste of time. Get a bkk yellow book this is a big advantage. 

Think to aquire max points based on marriage you'll need 65k per month. 

5 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

Your wife should be able to get some receipts which are 100% needed. I tried to go to Chonburi which was a waste of time. Get a bkk yellow book this is a big advantage. 

Think to aquire max points based on marriage you'll need 65k per month. 

Thank you Yankee99.

Yes, I would probably move yellow book to BKK and do it there but was just curious if some other could work. Might be less crowded and faster.

So if salary is less then 65K I could just get less points on marriage?

Is there any minimum required? I got different information so far. Somewhere i heard 40K is minimum and somewhere they said if I have a wife and a child it is reduced to 30K.

Thanks

On 8/28/2018 at 10:37 PM, onthemoon said:

I am not sure about the first question, so I'll answer only to this one.

The visas will expire on their expiry date, regardless of where you are. However, they are usually single-entry and therefore become invalid when you leave. To prevent that, you can apply for a re-entry permit before leaving.

Thanks onthemoon,

This question was for my mother who is here with me on a NON-IMM (O) visa with multiple re-entry permit, so my I believe if she went to home country and stay there 4 or 5 months she could return to Thailand without any issues, am I right? 

On 8/29/2018 at 7:27 AM, ubonjoe said:

Hi ubonjoe,

Sorry for the confusion, the second question was for my mother who holds a NON-IMM (O) visa. 

For me I have been working for my current employer for the last 8 years, Married to Thai, We got two kids, in short qualified to apply. My problem is I will be join a new employer in 1st Oct 2018. Eager to know by next year, when I turns 40 yrs can apply for citizenship, How I could show my work history, if I need to return my current WP? 

On 8/29/2018 at 9:21 AM, SWW said:

Additionally, they (Special Branch, at least) like to see you having worked for the same company for three years - so switching jobs would be not advisable. I gather that the MoI is more forgiving in that regard, so once the initial part of the process is done it should be OK - but if you do switch jobs after that and before the MoI interview, you would need to do so fairly quickly, and not have too long a time in between work permits.

Finally, one of the more important parts of the documentation is the tax statements for the three previous years. Those are scrutinized in some detail, and I was asked why the total amount declared for tax was more than my salary (answer: I got a bonus in one of the months), and they made me go back to my employer and have them take the amount declared in my last tax statement, divide it by 12, and declare that as my salary. Baffling to me, but it kept them happy. ALSO - make sure your statement of employment from your employer has the exact same job description as your work permit does. They will bounce it if they do not match.

Hi SWW,

Thanks for the interesting points,                                                                                        It seems I need wait 3 more years once I join the new employer to apply! It is a very good offer with around 40% hike on basic salary and other perks, a better company etc. that I feel should not let it go.                                                              Currently I am filing taxes considering the bonuses and other allowances as salary.                                                                                                                                 The point on Job description noted. 

HI everyone,

I read this topic with attention and I'd like to get some advice as well.

I have been working here for 9 years, paying taxes since, I have had 2 years extension on my nonB visa since 2009.

I am married with a Thai, we have 2 kids, and I can speak thai at proficient level.

My only issue is I have never been on any House registration, never had any yellow book.

Can I apply for Thai citizenship? Is the house registration an issue?

Thanks in advance for the help

18 minutes ago, roulax said:

HI everyone,

I read this topic with attention and I'd like to get some advice as well.

I have been working here for 9 years, paying taxes since, I have had 2 years extension on my nonB visa since 2009.

I am married with a Thai, we have 2 kids, and I can speak thai at proficient level.

My only issue is I have never been on any House registration, never had any yellow book.

Can I apply for Thai citizenship? Is the house registration an issue?

Thanks in advance for the help

Simply go ahead with getting your yellow house registration first.  Once you get it you can then apply. I held my yellow book for less than a year when I applied with no problems in that regard.

18 hours ago, Dule said:

Thank you in advance!

I did not know about the donations requirement until quite late in the game and had never bothered with keeping receipts - not that I had donated much previously. As such, as soon as a learned about this requirement I made a couple of donations about 4 or 5 months apart (totaling more than the minimum required amount - but not much more), the last one quite close to when I submitted my set of documents. No issues were raised that the donations were quite recent. However, I was told by an SB officer that making a single donation in the requisite amount just before submitting your application would not be looked on favorably. How true that is, I do not know but wouldn't like to test it.  

On 8/29/2018 at 7:21 AM, yankee99 said:

My understanding is there will be MOI interviews September 14th. Has anyone been contacted or can confirm this info. 

Thanks for the info.

I'll look out for a call from the MOI.

Not sure if I want one or not, as I'm waiting for a new passport.

On 8/29/2018 at 7:21 AM, yankee99 said:

My understanding is there will be MOI interviews September 14th. Has anyone been contacted or can confirm this info. 

I guess lucky nominees will be notified by the end of this week, if confirmed. I doubt it'll be coming that quickly for me, but I'd be delighted otherwise. I just hope to get that phone call by the end of the year.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 3:37 PM, Dule said:

Hi All,

Thank you in advance!

- Non-O visa 

- Bangkok SB Office is good to apply as they have dedicated officers to process compared to other province

- PND 90/91 for 3 years

- Donation of THB 5,000 or above is required. I was lucky, as I been doing donations for our birthdays with receipts for the tax deductions too

- Pls check earlier posts for the documents list and/or visit SB Office once to get the latest document requirements and start building rapport with the officer.

Good luck with your application process.

On 8/30/2018 at 9:41 AM, RajeshNL said:

Thanks onthemoon,

This question was for my mother who is here with me on a NON-IMM (O) visa with multiple re-entry permit, so my I believe if she went to home country and stay there 4 or 5 months she could return to Thailand without any issues, am I right? 

As long as she returns within the validity of her re-entry permit, yes. As far as I know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, qualtrough said:

Awful quiet here lately! Hoping no news is good news.

For me no news means frustrating waiting with nothing to update. It has been a long time since someone reported that they got called for their MOI interview. I would love to hear if anyone has been interviewed at all this year. My hope still remains that somehow I’m able to clear the MOI hurdle before a next years elections.