Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Maybe someone can share their experience with flying out of thailand. 

Tomorrow im going to the airport do i just hand the check in counter both passports? 

Go to the thai immigration hand them my thai passport and ticket? 

2 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

Tomorrow im going to the airport do i just hand the check in counter both passports? 

Depends where you are going. If going somewhere that does not require a visa for Thais, just use your Thai passport. However, I assume you are going somewhere where a visa is required for Thais but not someone carrying your home country passport. In that case, it is just as you said. At the check in counter you need to show both, but at immigration only show your Thai passport. If the electronic gates are back in use, use those and you won't need to show your passport to Immigration.   

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Check In - Thai Passport (and foreign passport if no visa in your Thai passport)

Immigration - Thai Passport Only, in 10s of trips out of Thailand for my dual national relatives, I have never seen immigration want to see another passport ever.

At the Gate - Depends on which passport the check in counter used to check you in.  I recommend you using your Thai passport, but you can use either.  If you give them the wrong one, the automatic scanner will beep requiring you to walk 1 meter to the people behind the computers who will scan your boarding pass and look at the passport you handed the gate agent, they will then promptly wave you through.

My general policy is to only use my foreign passport when absolutely necessary (like at check in when a visa is required for the final destination), once you are out of Thailand you can flash which ever passport you want while in transit to your final destination.  I have never seen agents at the boarding gates check for visas in your passport unless you are boarding a flight to the US (there may be others), so I typically just use whichever passport is handy from then on.  When arriving at your destination immigration, use whichever passport is required to enter that country.  On the way back, just reverse the process.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khongaeng said:

Check In - Thai Passport (and foreign passport if no visa in your Thai passport)

Immigration - Thai Passport Only, in 10s of trips out of Thailand for my dual national relatives, I have never seen immigration want to see another passport ever.

At the Gate - Depends on which passport the check in counter used to check you in.  I recommend you using your Thai passport, but you can use either.  If you give them the wrong one, the automatic scanner will beep requiring you to walk 1 meter to the people behind the computers who will scan your boarding pass and look at the passport you handed the gate agent, they will then promptly wave you through.

My general policy is to only use my foreign passport when absolutely necessary (like at check in when a visa is required for the final destination), once you are out of Thailand you can flash which ever passport you want while in transit to your final destination.  I have never seen agents at the boarding gates check for visas in your passport unless you are boarding a flight to the US (there may be others), so I typically just use whichever passport is handy from then on.  When arriving at your destination immigration, use whichever passport is required to enter that country.  On the way back, just reverse the process.

Sounds great one last thing. Do i need a departure card? 

6 hours ago, david143 said:

Today successfully applied Thai Passport. 1540 THB 10 YEARS
20 min and done.

Also yesterday evening i had applied loan from K bank APP , which was also approved today.
Called Xpress Cash, to open my ID data in Credit bureau.Loan Approved for 100000THB.
+ LINE BKK KBank Approved 24000THB
On the Salary of 45K with PND50-
I only uploaded my last 6 month statement and PND50 in Kbank APP.
Previously at Credit Bureau my data was running on Passport number which i already changed through Bank.
It was just a try but successfully approved without any hurdle.
FYI

Thanks for sharing that David, I am thinking of asking for a mortgage from KrungThai or Bangkok bank. I didn't know it was possible to get a loan online. 

7 hours ago, david143 said:

Today successfully applied Thai Passport. 1540 THB 10 YEARS
20 min and done.

Also yesterday evening i had applied loan from K bank APP , which was also approved today.
Called Xpress Cash, to open my ID data in Credit bureau.Loan Approved for 100000THB.
+ LINE BKK KBank Approved 24000THB
On the Salary of 45K with PND50-
I only uploaded my last 6 month statement and PND50 in Kbank APP.
Previously at Credit Bureau my data was running on Passport number which i already changed through Bank.
It was just a try but successfully approved without any hurdle.
FYI

Tons of Good Wishes to you David

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks for sharing that David, I am thinking of asking for a mortgage from KrungThai or Bangkok bank. I didn't know it was possible to get a loan online. 

i will also loan for house, but this loan need to meet direct officer in Bank, to get the value of house/land and how much % they will give, 100% or 120% as 20% is for house decoration.
i will update you once i will start process for House,

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2021 at 8:27 AM, onthemoon said:

Yeah, nothing happening. I wonder when the monthly MoI interviews will restart.

And I am wondering if there will be a RG announcement next month for the last batch of oath takers. Keeping a damper on my hopes. But it certainly would be nice!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, qualtrough said:

And I am wondering if there will be a RG announcement next month for the last batch of oath takers. Keeping a damper on my hopes. But it certainly would be nice!

Hopefully , as per schedule next month should have RG.

• Like 1

Five Letters - Formal Application

Apologies if this query has been addressed elsewhere.  I had a quick look back, but this is an extremely long thread and I couldn't find a previous post that addresses this specific issue.

My application for naturalisation was formally accepted (and fees paid) on Wednesday 27th.  As part of the process I was given five letters.  Two are for Immigration at Chaeng Wattana, one is for the Ampur in respect of name application and the remaining two are addressed to the Assistant to the Secretary of the Consul of my Embassy (In my case United Kingdom).  I called the British Embassy this morning to ask them what they wanted me to do with these two letters.  The person I spoke with, who checked internally whilst I held, indicated that they are not only disinterested in the two letters, they would also not receive them.  It was fairly clear that the person I spoke with had never come across this situation previously, although I don't doubt that the British Embassy is entirely disinterested.

I'm keen to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience to me and if so how they resolved it.

Many thanks

19 minutes ago, Arun Mai said:

I'm keen to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience to me and if so how they resolved it.

I assume one is requesting a statement that you intend to cancel your Uk nationality.

This from the Uk embassy website. 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/926913/Application_pack_-_Thai_Nationality_supporting_letter.pdf

The link for the file is shown on this page. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#services-we-provide-in-thailand

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Thank you for your input ubonjoe.  Indeed, I also imagine that one of the letters is in respect of a statement of intention to rescind my British nationality, although as they are sealed I haven't opened them and I can't be sure of the content.  I'm confident that I won't have any issues with the three letters addressed to Thai agencies.  The British Embassy appears on the face of it to be problematic as they have indicated that they won't even receive the letters.  Subject to any input from another friend of mine who has been through this process a few years ago, I think I shall just apply for the Thai nationality support letter and keep the letters.  I can't see any other way of approaching it to be candid.

9 hours ago, Arun Mai said:

Thank you for your input ubonjoe.  Indeed, I also imagine that one of the letters is in respect of a statement of intention to rescind my British nationality, although as they are sealed I haven't opened them and I can't be sure of the content.  I'm confident that I won't have any issues with the three letters addressed to Thai agencies.  The British Embassy appears on the face of it to be problematic as they have indicated that they won't even receive the letters.  Subject to any input from another friend of mine who has been through this process a few years ago, I think I shall just apply for the Thai nationality support letter and keep the letters.  I can't see any other way of approaching it to be candid.

Open the letter to the embassy if you want. 1 is for a criminal background check and to verify your passport is real, the other is to do with the intention to renounce your British citizenship. However, I did mine in 2018, things changed in May that year. Some here have done it more recently. I'd just make an appointment and demand your rights. 

I assume that 2 of your letters are for the PR people at Immigration. I only got 3 letters as I wasn't PR. 

11 hours ago, Arun Mai said:

Five Letters - Formal Application

Apologies if this query has been addressed elsewhere.  I had a quick look back, but this is an extremely long thread and I couldn't find a previous post that addresses this specific issue.

My application for naturalisation was formally accepted (and fees paid) on Wednesday 27th.  As part of the process I was given five letters.  Two are for Immigration at Chaeng Wattana, one is for the Ampur in respect of name application and the remaining two are addressed to the Assistant to the Secretary of the Consul of my Embassy (In my case United Kingdom).  I called the British Embassy this morning to ask them what they wanted me to do with these two letters.  The person I spoke with, who checked internally whilst I held, indicated that they are not only disinterested in the two letters, they would also not receive them.  It was fairly clear that the person I spoke with had never come across this situation previously, although I don't doubt that the British Embassy is entirely disinterested.

Many thanks

I was given these letters to take to the embassy after I had already submitted all the documentation required from the embassy including the affidavit. So I just put them in the file. Of course the embassy staff have no interest in receiving these letters which are just pointless Thai bureaucracy. You just tell them which consular service you want from them and, if they can do it, they will quote you a price.

I seem to remember getting a letter to take to the Labour Ministry to verify my WP was real as well as letters to the district office and CW. I was expecting one to the local cop shop too to verify the alien book was real but CW was trusted to do that.

I have to admit that creating a forgery of an alien book would probably be a very challenging task.  The forger would have to re-create the glue from the 1920s designed to hold the book together for a couple of years until it starts gradually falling to pieces and needs careful repair with sellotape. When the books were first introduced under the 1927 Immigration Act the were actually used as identity documents by Chinese immigrants snd must have started to disintegrate after the first few months of heavy use.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I have to admit that creating a forgery of an alien book would probably be a very challenging task.  The forger would have to re-create the glue from the 1920s designed to hold the book together for a couple of years until it starts gradually falling to pieces and needs careful repair with sellotape. When the books were first introduced under the 1927 Immigration Act the were actually used as identity documents by Chinese immigrants snd must have started to disintegrate after the first few months of heavy use.

LOL! True, the books are totally pointless since the advent of computers. The pink ID card already exists and it should be made mandatory instead. Why it does not have a chip is beyond my understanding though. But alas, only ten or so more years and I will have a blue card...

3 hours ago, onthemoon said:

LOL! True, the books are totally pointless since the advent of computers. The pink ID card already exists and it should be made mandatory instead. Why it does not have a chip is beyond my understanding though. But alas, only ten or so more years and I will have a blue card...

You forget that every police precinct in Bangkok has an alien registration officer, whose sole responsibility is to issue alien books and endorse them for the diminishing ranks of mainly elderly Chinese holders. A lot of plum police jobs would be lost.

Actually the issuing of residents books to be stamped in and out by airport immigration is also completely pointless with the advent of electronic gates. Getting rid of those would mean the redundancy of the entire desk of Pol Snr Sgt Majs that do nothing but issue books at CW. The police would fight tooth and nail to protect all these pointless jobs and would argue that replacing the two books with instantly readable smart cards would be a grave threat to national security.

But seriously a smart card marked ‘Permanent Resident’ and without the warning on the back saying the holder needs permission to leave his district would make sense for government snd PRs alike. The redundant police could be mobilized to fight crime or lead big cleaning days.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Open the letter to the embassy if you want. 1 is for a criminal background check and to verify your passport is real, the other is to do with the intention to renounce your British citizenship. However, I did mine in 2018, things changed in May that year. Some here have done it more recently. I'd just make an appointment and demand your rights. 

I assume that 2 of your letters are for the PR people at Immigration. I only got 3 letters as I wasn't PR. 

Correct, two of the letters are, as I understand it, to verify my PR status.  I'm not anticipating any issues arising in respect of them.  Though quite why they have to issue two letters to each of Immigration and my Embassy is beyond me.  In common with many Thai government departments, their processes are quite anachronistic.

15 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

I was given these letters to take to the embassy after I had already submitted all the documentation required from the embassy including the affidavit. So I just put them in the file. Of course the embassy staff have no interest in receiving these letters which are just pointless Thai bureaucracy. You just tell them which consular service you want from them and, if they can do it, they will quote you a price.

Indeed, I'm not unsympathetic towards the embassy.  Receiving letters requires filing systems, archiving and eventually destruction of the documents after a prescribed period of time has elapsed.  The embassy doesn't need nor does it want the overhead associated with such a burdensome process.  Furthermore, as all these costs must get passed on to the users of the various services, I don't want to pay for it either.