Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

20 minutes ago, Arkady said:

It is a pretty feeble social security system that makes you choose between inadequate private hospital healthcare and a tiny pension. They should consider dropping the word security from the name.

Because there is so little difference between social security and gold card healthcare coverage, I'm going to take my wonderful pension when I retire. All 5,xxx Baht per month. Where I am retiring to, the local gov't hospital, which will be my provider under the gold card, is less than 500 metres from my house. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kwarium said:

Congratulations to 78 newly minted Thais! Dated the 5th but published today? 

One thing to remember to do after you have your Thai ID is go to your local government hospital (Insurance Department) and have them register you for the Gold Card 30 Baht health care. It just takes 5 minutes and it is not done for us automatically just because the ID is issued.

Hi Kwarium brother,

RG publications of citizenship announcements on RG so far have been with about 30 to 40 or even 50 days or more(in very few cases in the past)lag from the signing date of the notification. This time the notification is little quicker(22 days from the signing date). Notification was signed by the Minister of Interior on 2nd November.

Also, after a long time the RG publication and the signing date are in the same month.

11 hours ago, GarryP said:

Because there is so little difference between social security and gold card healthcare coverage, I'm going to take my wonderful pension when I retire. All 5,xxx Baht per month. Where I am retiring to, the local gov't hospital, which will be my provider under the gold card, is less than 500 metres from my house. 

Wait, you can get the pension and the Gold Card at the same time?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Wait, you can get the pension and the Gold Card at the same time?

Yes. If you keep paying in to social security for healthcare, you will not get your pension. But once you retire, if you stop paying in to social security, you will get the pension (assuming you have paid in for the minimum number of years to qualify). At that time, you will qualify for the Gold Card. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Yes. If you keep paying in to social security for healthcare, you will not get your pension. But once you retire, if you stop paying in to social security, you will get the pension (assuming you have paid in for the minimum number of years to qualify). At that time, you will qualify for the Gold Card. 

Noted. Paying into Social Security of having the Gold Card has the same effect, free treatment at a specific hospital. Or is there a difference I should be aware of?

Right now, Gold Card plus pension sounds like the smarter option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onthemoon said:

Noted. Paying into Social Security of having the Gold Card has the same effect, free treatment at a specific hospital. Or is there a difference I should be aware of?

Right now, Gold Card plus pension sounds like the smarter option.

It problably is.  You don't need to live too long to make a profit from the pension relative to what you paid in, even though inflation is gathering pace and the government has no plans to adjust the pension for inflation. Just like the frozen UK state pension!  On the other hand some SS hospitals are quite good and others are <deleted>.  I believe Bangkok Christian Hospital in Silom, which is quite good, is on SS, whereas others I have been inside looked quite poor.  if SS gives you a hospital that is much better than the government alternative where you live, you might want to consider opting in.  Otherwise I wouldn't bother.  There is not much consistency between hospitals in the private or public systems.  Also some treatments may be available in one system but not the other.

Basically public health in Thailand is pretty <deleted> by Western standards but is a lot better than before the gold card and SS came along.  The most scandalous aspect is that the civil servants who design the policies have their own scheme that is much better than the other two and also takes care of their families.  Clearly the three systems should all be merged.  Civil servants could then see how the other half live and would have an incentive to improve things.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Arkady said:

It problably is.  You don't need to live too long to make a profit from the pension relative to what you paid in, even though inflation is gathering pace and the government has no plans to adjust the pension for inflation. Just like the frozen UK state pension!  On the other hand some SS hospitals are quite good and others are <deleted>.  I believe Bangkok Christian Hospital in Silom, which is quite good, is on SS, whereas others I have been inside looked quite poor.  if SS gives you a hospital that is much better than the government alternative where you live, you might want to consider opting in.  Otherwise I wouldn't bother.  There is not much consistency between hospitals in the private or public systems.  Also some treatments may be available in one system but not the other.

Basically public health in Thailand is pretty <deleted> by Western standards but is a lot better than before the gold card and SS came along.  The most scandalous aspect is that the civil servants who design the policies have their own scheme that is much better than the other two and also takes care of their families.  Clearly the three systems should all be merged.  Civil servants could then see how the other half live and would have an incentive to improve things.

Well noted, thanks.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 12:24 PM, yankee99 said:

Just call the MOI they can look up your situation 

my wife called 3x ????

I had my wife call a couple of months ago and the guy wouldn't give her any information.  Just said wait for your queue and we will contact you ><

If anyone can a more detailed response I would love to know the current timeline as well ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, onthemoon said:

Well noted, thanks.

I will be moving to a provincial town that has only one hospital. It is a government one so in my case it makes sense to take the pension and go with the Gold Card. If there was a better hospital in the town that was in the SS Scheme, then I would probably give it some more thought, but there isn't. On the other hand, if I remained in BKK after retirement, I would probably forego the pension and continue paying for health coverage as the hospital I am with here is quite good.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Marcati said:

I had my wife call a couple of months ago and the guy wouldn't give her any information.  Just said wait for your queue and we will contact you ><

If anyone can a more detailed response I would love to know the current timeline as well ????

I actually paid a visit to the office because it isn't that far from my home and they were very friendly The girl looked up my file and even showed it to me. She said it would not be too much longer and she was right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jayson1 said:

Thanks to both and all others for the useful information posted in this thread. I am also on the list. Slightly surreal after so much time.

My notes from looking through this thread are that it takes around 3 weeks for SB to issue the certificate. For those who are also on the list, if you are aware that SB has issued the certificates and it is possible to pick them, please post the news for others.* Yes, I realise I can contact my SB case officer, but I have found this is not always the quickest way.

*my extension of stay renewal is at the end of Dec and I would prefer my next visit to Chaeng Wattana to be about cancelling my extension of stay

Further to that, does anyone here have a bookmark or link for any post(s) detailing what you need to do and show once you get your certificate?

8 minutes ago, jayson1 said:

Thanks to both and all others for the useful information posted in this thread. I am also on the list. Slightly surreal after so much time.

My notes from looking through this thread are that it takes around 3 weeks for SB to issue the certificate. For those who are also on the list, if you are aware that SB has issued the certificates and it is possible to pick them, please post the news for others.* Yes, I realise I can contact my SB case officer, but I have found this is not always the quickest way.

*my extension of stay renewal is at the end of Dec and I would prefer my next visit to Chaeng Wattana to be about cancelling my extension of stay

Hi Jayson1 brother,

Hearty Congratulations.

i spoke to my SB officer today. He told me that they need to wait for the documents to arrive from MOI. He was not able to give a date, but told me that we should be getting the certificate before the New Year.

Any further update, will be shared here. All the Best.

• Like 1

Just now, sinthavee said:

Hi Jayson1 brother,

Hearty Congratulations.

i spoke to my SB officer today. He told me that they need to wait for the documents to arrive from MOI. He was not able to give a date, but told me that we should be getting the certificate before the New Year.

Thanks for the prompt reply. If I hear from my SB Case Officer, I will also post.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

Further to that, does anyone here have a bookmark or link for any post(s) detailing what you need to do and show once you get your certificate?

Most of my notes are copying and pasting without saving a link. Go to page 219 - https://aseannow.com/topic/121353-story-of-my-thai-citizenship-application/page/219/#comments - as there are multiple posters who posted their experience of getting the ID card etc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sinthavee said:

Hi Jayson1 brother,

Hearty Congratulations.

Congrag Brother.
within 14 to 18 days you will get call from SB for Pick up certificate,

• Like 1

9 hours ago, qualtrough said:

I actually paid a visit to the office because it isn't that far from my home and they were very friendly The girl looked up my file and even showed it to me. She said it would not be too much longer and she was right.

Interesting.  What details were you able to find out?  I'm quite interested in the timeline, where they are in the queue, etc.

My missus is reluctant to keep calling them... jai yen yen is the default response 5555

Update - went to do my name thing today.

Important point - take your 5K receipt as you need that for some reason. 1 hour wasted there driving home and back for that.

Picking a name is tricky, as you cannot choose an existing surname for fraud reasons, nor something that sounds silly or unThai. Basically it is like trying to guess what someone else is thinking, in a language you can't speak very well. They gave me a book of potential names, but as it was old all, the ones my wife chose were taken. I suggested the name of 1 of my favourite Thai golfers, and the lady behind the desk checked a slight derivative of that, which past the 1 factual and 2 opinion tests, so we got it done.

I have now done everything required in the envelopes (feels a bit like the Crystal Maze) and await whatever's next. 

• Like 1

Has anyone else noticed and found it strange that there are no questions at all about Thai history or culture required for citizenship, unlike many other countries? All I did was a 10 point multiple choice which included questions about government office opening hours (got that wrong). I wonder why that is?

10 hours ago, RJaidee said:

Update - went to do my name thing today.

Important point - take your 5K receipt as you need that for some reason. 1 hour wasted there driving home and back for that.

Picking a name is tricky, as you cannot choose an existing surname for fraud reasons, nor something that sounds silly or unThai. Basically it is like trying to guess what someone else is thinking, in a language you can't speak very well. They gave me a book of potential names, but as it was old all, the ones my wife chose were taken. I suggested the name of 1 of my favourite Thai golfers, and the lady behind the desk checked a slight derivative of that, which past the 1 factual and 2 opinion tests, so we got it done.

I have now done everything required in the envelopes (feels a bit like the Crystal Maze) and await whatever's next. 

I carried a notebook with every single piece of paper with copies of everything anywhere went for citizenship business 

• Like 2

Interested to know how many days it took for getting letter confirming notification of Thai citizenship & asking to contact/collect the naturalisation certificate at the SB, for the last two batches (RG publications were on 4th & 5th Aug). If possible, please share the copy of letter w/o personal references.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sinthavee said:

Interested to know how many days it took for getting letter confirming notification of Thai citizenship & asking to contact/collect the naturalisation certificate at the SB, for the last two batches (RG publications were on 4th & 5th Aug). If possible, please share the copy of letter w/o personal references.

Thanks.

RG was published 4th August 2021
i contacted my SB officer on 5th morning he said he still don't know and asked REALLY, i said Chai
My SB officer called me on 26 August and we book for 1 September 2021.
Almost 21 days for Certificate in Hand.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sinthavee said:

Thanks.

My letter arrived after i picked up my certificate from SB. Its really not needed for anything. 

• Thanks 2