Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

On 11/8/2021 at 8:39 AM, onthemoon said:

Your experience is different from mine then. My witnesses were not asked a single question about my finances, but they were first asked how long they know me and how they know me to establish that they can say something about the following questions which centered around whether I am a reliable person and of good character. That's what they told me, I have no protocol of that interview.

Interesting. Goes to show that things can change depending on who's in charge.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 2:45 PM, yankee99 said:

Does the embassy let you take cameras inside? 

I went to the British Embassy and asked the front desk if I could take a photo of me handing over the letter to them. He called his boss, which tells me I am the first person who has asked, or this is a practiced technique for answering questions they want to say no to, and the answer was no. My mate then started going off at them about human rights, so I left him to it and as the British Embassy is in a tower block (the shame) and the reception in the lobby (double shame) I was able to take a photo of the desk behind me and the plaque outside with me and the letter. 

Hopefully this will be enough. If not, I will report back. 

On 11/9/2021 at 12:41 PM, Arkady said:

Interesting. Goes to show that things can change depending on who's in charge.

From what I could understand my sponsors were asked how they knew me and about my character. Im not sure how they would know about my financial situation. 

On 11/6/2021 at 7:48 PM, Arkady said:

The witnesses need to fill in their personal details on a form and sign the fictitious witness statements but don't need to come to the office to do that.  It is interesting that SB offer to provide the witnesses for you now.  The MoI might be surprised that so many applicants have friends in the police.  When I got married the district office provided two witnesses for 150 baht each but they didn't have to know us.

It depends where you get married. Where I had to get married I had to put forward 2 people and they were interviewed for about 10 minutes by the Amphur Headman. They dont do that where they have lots of Western / Thai marriages though.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RJaidee said:

It depends where you get married. Where I had to get married I had to put forward 2 people and they were interviewed for about 10 minutes by the Amphur Headman. They dont do that where they have lots of Western / Thai marriages though.

555. What an earth could they talk about for 10 minutes with witnesses to a marriage registration?  They are just there to witness the event. It is not up to the head of registrations to decide whether you can get married or not based on witness statements.

One type of witness interview that seems value added is the compulsory interview of buyers and sellers with the head of registrations in the Land Office.  But I note that it is sometimes possible to give the head a tip to avoid the interview. This can be done either to save time and trouble, or in order to make it easier to deceive a buyer or seller. I was once asked what I wanted the land for in Ubon province and I told her I wanted to graze cows there, using the Isaan word gnua for a cow creating raucous laughter. (In fact someone else grazed their cows there without permission.) The seller is often asked if he really wants to sell at the declared price which is often significantly understated to avoid tax. Of course they know exactly what is going on but they sometimes tell you sarcastically you have got a great deal. 

I think this can be considered on topic because the first thing you want to do after getting your ID card after visiting the Royal Palace for free is to buy land - just because you can.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 11:49 AM, RJaidee said:

I have also just received these envelopes and as am confused by these responses as I am by my wifes explanation of what to do with them (her being unaware of the British Embassy's unhelpful nature). I haven't opened the letters as I presume  they are in Thai and the wife says you can't  open letters not addressed to you, which is correct.

I have provided the letter stating my intention to give up my citizenship already (costing 50 GBP + 2GBP postage + translation + MOFA stamp) so do not want to be doing that again. I provided a Police clearance certificate in my original information folder to but they had no interest and told me to remove it. 

My wife LINEd our staff member who says that she requires nothing back from the British Embassy, they are just to be delivered. Therefore, if the British Embassy will not accept the letters, and nothing is expected in return, do I have to give them to the British Embassy?

I may be able to provide my own answers as I know the husband of someone who works at the BE, and if I find out then will report. However, as no one seems to know its best to ask in different places.

I don't check in to this forum that often so I've only just seen this.  With respect to the five letters I was given, two were for Chaeng Wattana and they have been dealt with.  I have two corresponding letters back from CW.  My understanding is that these are in connection with proving my PR status.  One letter for the Amphur is for a name clearance - I have to choose a Thai name although I'm not required to adopt it.  I shall attend to that this week.  That leaves the two letters for the Embassy.  Having spoken to the British Embassy and considered their reply (not interested, don't bring them to us, we don't want them), I decided to open them.  They were only sealed with a small piece of tape anyway.  One letter was requesting documentation to the effect that I had expressed an intention to renounce my British citizenship upon successfully obtaining Thai citizenship.  The other letter, however, was a request for verification that my passport is genuine.  I have already received the 'intention' letter back from the British Embassy.  For the 'verification' letter I understand that I need to obtain a certified true copy of my British Passport.  That costs GBP25 and if one wants to do it in person it takes several days before one can book an appointment.  I have an appointment later this month to do that.   https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#services-we-provide-in-thailand.

Good luck

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 7:27 PM, Arun Mai said:

I don't check in to this forum that often so I've only just seen this.  With respect to the five letters I was given, two were for Chaeng Wattana and they have been dealt with.  I have two corresponding letters back from CW.  My understanding is that these are in connection with proving my PR status.  One letter for the Amphur is for a name clearance - I have to choose a Thai name although I'm not required to adopt it.  I shall attend to that this week.  That leaves the two letters for the Embassy.  Having spoken to the British Embassy and considered their reply (not interested, don't bring them to us, we don't want them), I decided to open them.  They were only sealed with a small piece of tape anyway.  One letter was requesting documentation to the effect that I had expressed an intention to renounce my British citizenship upon successfully obtaining Thai citizenship.  The other letter, however, was a request for verification that my passport is genuine.  I have already received the 'intention' letter back from the British Embassy.  For the 'verification' letter I understand that I need to obtain a certified true copy of my British Passport.  That costs GBP25 and if one wants to do it in person it takes several days before one can book an appointment.  I have an appointment later this month to do that.   https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#services-we-provide-in-thailand.

Good luck

I already had those 2 things in my file. Best not to worry too much, as long as the case manager is happy then Im done I think. Need to do the Thai name, which my wife has chosen for me after decrying my efforts as "stupid". As my sons name is English and he is Thai I have no idea what purpose this has but why not.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, david143 said:

10 November 2021

Nationality interview meeting @ MOI PathumThani
interested they also took interview through Cloud Zoom Meeting.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Good to hear! The applicants that were interviewed has their documents handed to the MoI when? I just want to check how long it currently takes from the docs arriving at MoI to the interview date.

3 hours ago, onthemoon said:

Good to hear! The applicants that were interviewed has their documents handed to the MoI when? I just want to check how long it currently takes from the docs arriving at MoI to the interview date.

it took my process 16 months from when the docs were sent to the MOI to the interview. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

it took my process 16 months from when the docs were sent to the MOI to the interview. 

SAME FOR me

10 august 2018 i got Message from SB Documents Posted to MOI
Interview Call was 17 December 2019

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks, but I believe you have already completed the process. Or were you in the batch that was interviewed last week? - Around 18 months was normal, I am now well over the time frame and would like to find out how much the Covid-related delays are now.

1 hour ago, david143 said:

SAME FOR me

10 august 2018 i got Message from SB Documents Posted to MOI
Interview Call was 17 December 2019

Thanks for this info in pre-Covid times; I am trying to find out when I can expect to be invited, considering the delays caused by Covid. 

22 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Thanks, but I believe you have already completed the process. Or were you in the batch that was interviewed last week? - Around 18 months was normal, I am now well over the time frame and would like to find out how much the Covid-related delays are now.

This was pre-Covid, however the Oath was delayed slightly( a month or two) because of Covid.

24 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Thanks for this info in pre-Covid times; I am trying to find out when I can expect to be invited, considering the delays caused by Covid. 

Just call the MOI they can look up your situation 

my wife called 3x ????

3 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Just call the MOI they can look up your situation 

my wife called 3x ????

Thanks for the tip, I just called. My application is not in the list yet, but it should be "very soon now".

I plan to call every month now.

Congratulations to 78 newly minted Thais! Dated the 5th but published today? 

One thing to remember to do after you have your Thai ID is go to your local government hospital (Insurance Department) and have them register you for the Gold Card 30 Baht health care. It just takes 5 minutes and it is not done for us automatically just because the ID is issued.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

One thing to remember to do after you have your Thai ID is go to your local government hospital (Insurance Department) and have them register you for the Gold Card 30 Baht health care. It just takes 5 minutes and it is not done for us automatically just because the ID is issued.

It is my understanding that if you are already in the Social Security scheme, you do not qualify for the Gold Card. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

Thanks!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GarryP said:

It is my understanding that if you are already in the Social Security scheme, you do not qualify for the Gold Card. 

i was thinking of those not in Social Security. More information:

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/stories/how-to-choose-social-security-gold-card-and-health-insurance.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kwarium said:

David143, you finally made it! What a (sometimes) patient guy! 555!

Congrats!

I made it on 4 August 2021
but i search for RG every TUE, WED THU .
for other friends ????
Congrag New Thais

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kwarium said:

It is a pretty feeble social security system that makes you choose between inadequate private hospital healthcare and a tiny pension. They should consider dropping the word security from the name.

• Like 1