Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

On 10/29/2021 at 10:05 PM, Neeranam said:

Open the letter to the embassy if you want. 1 is for a criminal background check and to verify your passport is real, the other is to do with the intention to renounce your British citizenship. However, I did mine in 2018, things changed in May that year. Some here have done it more recently. I'd just make an appointment and demand your rights. 

I assume that 2 of your letters are for the PR people at Immigration. I only got 3 letters as I wasn't PR. 

So, the two letters to the embassy comprise of one which seeks to verify my passport is authentic and the other is in connection with expressing my intention to renounce my British citizenship once I have successfully obtained Thai citizenship.  I understand that both of these points are addressed under the Thai nationality support letter: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/926913/Application_pack_-_Thai_Nationality_supporting_letter.pdf

Edited by Arun Mai

Hey all, so I am almost ready to submit my application, i want to do it before the end of the year.

I am looking at the list of documents here https://sbpolice.go.th/en/page/_143.html and I think I have everything, but there are a few I am not sure about. FYI - I am married to a Thai (for over 5 years) with a Thai child, and have been working in Thailand since I arrived almost 7 years ago. I have no gaps in employment as I always obtained a new Non-imm B visa and work permit on the same day as my previous ones, from my old employer, expired - but I have changed jobs 2 times. 

Looking for some clarification on these:

• Certificate of Residence - is this different from the yellow Tabien Baan, if so is it easy to get?
  • Proof of Money Deposit 80,000 THB - does this need to be a current/savings account or can it be any investment account I have opened? Is it needed even if I have a regular salary larger than this?
  • Copy of Corporate Tax (PND50)for the previous 3 years - is this needed even if I do not own my business/self-employed? Also I have only worked at my new place for 1 month, but do you think 3 years is still required?
  • Certificate of Legal Age - what even is this and do I need it?

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, moochai87 said:

Hey all, so I am almost ready to submit my application, i want to do it before the end of the year.

I am looking at the list of documents here https://sbpolice.go.th/en/page/_143.html and I think I have everything, but there are a few I am not sure about. FYI - I am married to a Thai (for over 5 years) with a Thai child, and have been working in Thailand since I arrived almost 7 years ago. I have no gaps in employment as I always obtained a new Non-imm B visa and work permit on the same day as my previous ones, from my old employer, expired - but I have changed jobs 2 times. 

• Certificate of Residence - is this different from the yellow Tabien Baan, if so is it easy to get?
  • Proof of Money Deposit 80,000 THB - does this need to be a current/savings account or can it be any investment account I have opened? Is it needed even if I have a regular salary larger than this?
  • Copy of Corporate Tax (PND50)for the previous 3 years - is this needed even if I do not own my business/self-employed? Also I have only worked at my new place for 1 month, but do you think 3 years is still required?

Thanks!

You will need a Yellow book and 3 years certified tax returns.   I would advise you to go to SB and they can assist you

4 hours ago, moochai87 said:

Thanks!

1. Yes. Yellow Tabien Bahn. 

2. Letter from you bank certifying your savings. This is separate from you regular salary. Not sure whether investment accounts can be used instead.

3. Yes. Your employer's Corporate tax returns going back 3 years.  I assume they will need these for your current employer regardless that you have been with them for only one month. It may be difficult getting them from a previous employer anyway. 

4. No idea.

As yankee99 said. Check with SB on anything you are not sure about. 

Edited by GarryP

16 hours ago, moochai87 said:

Thanks!

I did not need any certificate of legal age and I guess that is because my hair was already greying at time of application. I believe this is only required if the applicant is young. For example if someone is 19 at time of application, does that mean he is an adult according to his or her country's laws and can really make any legal decisions? How about 17?

14 hours ago, GarryP said:

1. Yes. Yellow Tabien Bahn. 

2. Letter from you bank certifying your savings. This is separate from you regular salary. Not sure whether investment accounts can be used instead.

3. Yes. Your employer's Corporate tax returns going back 3 years.  I assume they will need these for your current employer regardless that you have been with them for only one month. It may be difficult getting them from a previous employer anyway. 

4. No idea.

As yankee99 said. Check with SB on anything you are not sure about. 

Thank you GarryP. Number 1 confused me because on that list is also mentions the House Registration book, so I wasn't sure what the difference was between that and a 'certificate of residence'.

1 hour ago, onthemoon said:

I did not need any certificate of legal age and I guess that is because my hair was already greying at time of application. I believe this is only required if the applicant is young. For example if someone is 19 at time of application, does that mean he is an adult according to his or her country's laws and can really make any legal decisions? How about 17?

Ok that makes sense - I think I should be fine too ???? . One other follow up I have, is that for the two Thai people you need a copy of their TabienBaan and ID card, do they actually need to go with you when you apply? Or you can just bring the copies along with you? Trying to avoid any unnecessary trips to SB police for my friends? On that actually, does my wife need to attend anything?

1 hour ago, moochai87 said:

Ok that makes sense - I think I should be fine too ???? . One other follow up I have, is that for the two Thai people you need a copy of their TabienBaan and ID card, do they actually need to go with you when you apply? Or you can just bring the copies along with you? Trying to avoid any unnecessary trips to SB police for my friends? On that actually, does my wife need to attend anything?

I took my witnesses to the office on the day that I "finalized" my application, which was not the day that I was finger printed and interviewed with the big boss and then the big big boss. SB should be able to tell you when you need to bring your friends.  Your wife will need to be with you during all interviews at SB, NIA (background check interview), and MOA (big group interview).  I can't remember if she has to be there when you take the oath or not.  After you have taken the oath she does not need to come with you to pick up your certification of citizenship, but that takes only 30 minutes after minimum 3 years after you have started the process.  Basically, your wife will need to be with you the entire time whenever there is an official interview.  In my case, I felt more comfortable with my wife there, too, so that I wouldn't be asked for a bribe when she was not there to protect me as a Thai.  I should say now, that I doubt that I would have been asked for a bribe and the officers I interacted with were respectful and straightforward, but I suppose you never know what could happen.  Best of luck in your application!

5 hours ago, khongaeng said:

I took my witnesses to the office on the day that I "finalized" my application, which was not the day that I was finger printed and interviewed with the big boss and then the big big boss. SB should be able to tell you when you need to bring your friends.  Your wife will need to be with you during all interviews at SB, NIA (background check interview), and MOA (big group interview).  I can't remember if she has to be there when you take the oath or not.  After you have taken the oath she does not need to come with you to pick up your certification of citizenship, but that takes only 30 minutes after minimum 3 years after you have started the process.  Basically, your wife will need to be with you the entire time whenever there is an official interview.  In my case, I felt more comfortable with my wife there, too, so that I wouldn't be asked for a bribe when she was not there to protect me as a Thai.  I should say now, that I doubt that I would have been asked for a bribe and the officers I interacted with were respectful and straightforward, but I suppose you never know what could happen.  Best of luck in your application!

It was smart to bring the witnesses on that day, because I didn't. They went the next day without me (I wasn't free) and it went smoothly.

7 hours ago, onthemoon said:

I doubt that they ever need enforce the legal age affirmation for male applicants because it is virtually impossible to meet all the requirements while not yet of legal age even if legal age is 21 where they come from.  Theoretically it is more likely to come into play with women applying to adopt hubby's Thai nationality.  A woman who got married at 19 and had a kid immediately could be eligible to apply at 20 which could be less than the age of majority in her country.  But it is inconceivable a man would have 3 years working on a salary over 40k before 21 and get 50 points. He certainly wouldn't have had time to pick up PR, so he would have to be married.

22 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

It was smart to bring the witnesses on that day, because I didn't. They went the next day without me (I wasn't free) and it went smoothly.

So is SB insisting on interviewing the witnesses in most cases these days?  For some years they were happy to write up imaginary interviews to avoid bringing them into the office.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

So is SB insisting on interviewing the witnesses in most cases these days?  For some years they were happy to write up imaginary interviews to avoid bringing them into the office.

I don't know about most cases, and mine was more than 10 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

My witnesses didn't visit SB, nor were they interviewed by phone, but I applied just over 9 years ago. 

24 minutes ago, GarryP said:

My witnesses didn't visit SB, nor were they interviewed by phone, but I applied just over 9 years ago. 

The wording of the interview transcript is pretty basic.  I think I still have it in my file because I had to get the witnesses to sign them, since they hadn't been interviewed. It's just like I have known Joe Bloggs in Thailand for XX years. I confirm he works at XXXXCo and earns a salary of XXX a month, has a condo worth XX million smackers, has a bank balance of zillions of baht.  Of course, if they come into the office, they will have to answer these silly questions like how much you have in your bank account.

3 hours ago, Arkady said:

A little over 3 years ago no witness needed a sb. Definitely needed 2 witnesses to get on the blue house book

2 hours ago, onthemoon said:

I don't know about most cases, and mine was more than 10 years ago. 

Sorry, I got confused. My PR application was over 10 years ago, the citizenship application only 2 years. And yes, they definitely had to go.

18 hours ago, Arkady said:

Yes. I had 2 'poo yai' in Khon Kaen who had filled in the forms, but SB said they needed to visit them in Bangkok, so I got new witnesses. On a side note, these new ones were not important at all; witnesses don't have to be people with a high standing in society. 

26 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Yes. I had 2 'poo yai' in Khon Kaen who had filled in the forms, but SB said they needed to visit them in Bangkok, so I got new witnesses. On a side note, these new ones were not important at all; witnesses don't have to be people with a high standing in society. 

No, high stranding is not necessary. One of the key questions there were asked was how they know me and how long they have known me. And then there were apparently some questions about my character.

I have also just received these envelopes and as am confused by these responses as I am by my wifes explanation of what to do with them (her being unaware of the British Embassy's unhelpful nature). I haven't opened the letters as I presume  they are in Thai and the wife says you can't  open letters not addressed to you, which is correct.

I have provided the letter stating my intention to give up my citizenship already (costing 50 GBP + 2GBP postage + translation + MOFA stamp) so do not want to be doing that again. I provided a Police clearance certificate in my original information folder to but they had no interest and told me to remove it. 

My wife LINEd our staff member who says that she requires nothing back from the British Embassy, they are just to be delivered. Therefore, if the British Embassy will not accept the letters, and nothing is expected in return, do I have to give them to the British Embassy?

I may be able to provide my own answers as I know the husband of someone who works at the BE, and if I find out then will report. However, as no one seems to know its best to ask in different places.

Update

My wife just spoke to the person who handled my file

Letter 1 for British Embassy is the intention letter. I have no need to do  this again having submitted it already.

Letter 2, and this is directly from the person, we need to take a photo of us handing that over at the British Embassy and submit that as evidence.

The only way to to find out is to submit the evidence requested, find out why that is wrong, submit it again, and repeat until accepted.

2 hours ago, RJaidee said:

Update

Letter 1 for British Embassy is the intention letter. I have no need to do  this again having submitted it already.

Letter 2, and this is directly from the person, we need to take a photo of us handing that over at the British Embassy and submit that as evidence.

The only way to to find out is to submit the evidence requested, find out why that is wrong, submit it again, and repeat until accepted.

Does the embassy let you take cameras inside? 

23 hours ago, Arkady said:

From what others have said, it sounds like it is not required for witnesses to visit SB.  When I visited SB during my paperwork collection phase, they. said that I needed 2 witnesses but that they could "arrange" them for me.  Avoiding the possible awkwardness if payment was required for these "arranged" witnesses, I opted to find my own 2 witnesses.  I assumed that they would have to come to the office, so I brought them with me when I finalized my application, but I suppose it may not be required.  They were interviewed for less than 5 minutes and then were allowed to leave. I suppose this is an indication that their presence was not even required.  

4 hours ago, khongaeng said:

From what others have said, it sounds like it is not required for witnesses to visit SB.  When I visited SB during my paperwork collection phase, they. said that I needed 2 witnesses but that they could "arrange" them for me.  Avoiding the possible awkwardness if payment was required for these "arranged" witnesses, I opted to find my own 2 witnesses.  I assumed that they would have to come to the office, so I brought them with me when I finalized my application, but I suppose it may not be required.  They were interviewed for less than 5 minutes and then were allowed to leave. I suppose this is an indication that their presence was not even required.  

The witnesses need to fill in their personal details on a form and sign the fictitious witness statements but don't need to come to the office to do that.  It is interesting that SB offer to provide the witnesses for you now.  The MoI might be surprised that so many applicants have friends in the police.  When I got married the district office provided two witnesses for 150 baht each but they didn't have to know us.

7 hours ago, RJaidee said:

Update

Asking you to take a picture of embassy staff receiving the letter, when you have to check mobile phones and cameras at the gate, is the height of Thai bureaucratic asininity.  They should also get a picture of the embassy staff chucking the letter unopened into the bin.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Arkady said:

The witnesses need to fill in their personal details on a form and sign the fictitious witness statements but don't need to come to the office to do that.  It is interesting that SB offer to provide the witnesses for you now.  The MoI might be surprised that so many applicants have friends in the police.  When I got married the district office provided two witnesses for 150 baht each but they didn't have to know us.

Interesting. In my case, the witnesses for my citizen application were character witnesses. I fully understand that the government wants to hear their statements, and they were asked questions accordingly.

I wouldn't know what the witnesses in for a marriage would witness. Every business contract in Thailand needs to witnesses and they just witness that the contract was signed by the two people, they don't need to know them or say anything about the signors' characters. So we might be talking about different things here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, onthemoon said:

Interesting. In my case, the witnesses for my citizen application were character witnesses. I fully understand that the government wants to hear their statements, and they were asked questions accordingly.

I wouldn't know what the witnesses in for a marriage would witness. Every business contract in Thailand needs to witnesses and they just witness that the contract was signed by the two people, they don't need to know them or say anything about the signors' characters. So we might be talking about different things here.

I think witnesses for marriage don't have to know you but just witness your signatures.  For citizenship they are not really character witnesses. They just have to verify certain facts in your application, i.e. how long you have been in Thailand, your job, your salary, your bank balance as per the statement you submitted, your condo and its value, if you have one. Many of these facts they are not in a position to know which makes it a pointless exercise and explains why SB doesn't always ask you to bring them, depending on who is in charge in your year.  As mentioned, I still have copies of the 'interviews' and they were not asked about my character.  Of course, if they put the witnesses to the trouble of coming into the office, they might ask more questions that are beyond the basic requirements.

On 11/4/2021 at 2:54 PM, moochai87 said:

Thanks!

PND 50 is required only if you're a shareholder in the company.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Arkady said:

I think witnesses for marriage don't have to know you but just witness your signatures.  For citizenship they are not really character witnesses. They just have to verify certain facts in your application, i.e. how long you have been in Thailand, your job, your salary, your bank balance as per the statement you submitted, your condo and its value, if you have one. Many of these facts they are not in a position to know which makes it a pointless exercise and explains why SB doesn't always ask you to bring them, depending on who is in charge in your year.  As mentioned, I still have copies of the 'interviews' and they were not asked about my character.  Of course, if they put the witnesses to the trouble of coming into the office, they might ask more questions that are beyond the basic requirements.

Your experience is different from mine then. My witnesses were not asked a single question about my finances, but they were first asked how long they know me and how they know me to establish that they can say something about the following questions which centered around whether I am a reliable person and of good character. That's what they told me, I have no protocol of that interview.

• Like 2