Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am being asked to take a letter addressed to the Ambassador of the UK, in order for him to confirm that I truly exist and that this is my passport. I have a feeling that if I show up to the embassy with it, they will just look at me and ask me to leave ???? . They of course have a 'validate a copy of passport' service which I can request (I actually thought I already did that, but I have handed over so many documents already I honestly can't remember). Once I get this, and then translate it to Thai, do you think this should be enough? Or do I somehow need to get the embassy to reply directly to the police that issues the letter?

3 hours ago, moochai87 said:

I am being asked to take a letter addressed to the Ambassador of the UK, in order for him to confirm that I truly exist and that this is my passport. I have a feeling that if I show up to the embassy with it, they will just look at me and ask me to leave ???? . They of course have a 'validate a copy of passport' service which I can request (I actually thought I already did that, but I have handed over so many documents already I honestly can't remember). Once I get this, and then translate it to Thai, do you think this should be enough? Or do I somehow need to get the embassy to reply directly to the police that issues the letter?

Do bother trying to deliver the letters to the British Embassy, they're not interested in them.  Just apply for: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#supporting-letter-for-thai-nationality-application

And also apply for a certified true copy of your passport from the embassy too.

On 6/7/2022 at 1:19 PM, moochai87 said:

Once I get this, and then translate it to Thai, do you think this should be enough? Or do I somehow need to get the embassy to reply directly to the police that issues the letter?

You don't need to translate it, it is from the Embassy but written in Thai. 

15 hours ago, Neeranam said:

You don't need to translate it, it is from the Embassy but written in Thai. 

Actually, my renounciation letter dated 2-Nov-21 issued by the British Embassy was written in English.  The SB case officer asked us to provide a Thai translation, which we prepared internally (at our office), which was perfectly acceptable to SB - no special treatment with notaries or anything else.  The same is true of the certified true copy of my passport.

Two weeks ago I went to the driver's license office to get an international drivers license.  I hadn't bothered to get my license updated after getting Thai citizenship last year, so they couldn't issue me an international drivers license until I first changed my license to reflect my Thai citizenship.  Fortunately this process only took about 30 minutes, but required a copy of my naturalization certificate and royal gazette paperwork.  I needed two sets of copies one for my car drivers license and one for my motorcycle drivers license. I brought the originals just in case, but only copies were required.  The license with my Thai details has the same expiration date as my original license, so I wasn't given an automatic extension.  
I should have taken care of this earlier, but I didn't.  Fortunately they didn't give me any hassle at all.  I think that I now no longer have any official documents from Thai authorities or accounts linked to my previous nationality. I am finally 100% Thai according to all documents that mean anything in Thailand ???? 

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Marcati said:

Does anyone remember how long after the final interview at the MOI before General Anupong signed off and the documents sent to the Palace for HM's signature?

documents submited @ SB March 2018
my last MOI interview was 17 December 2019
for Oath i got a call from SB on 14 August 2020.
Ratcha Kiticha publised 04 August 2021.

On 7/1/2022 at 6:21 AM, beeper said:

I have German passport and PR for more than 6 years. Is there anyone out there who has first hand experience with getting Thai nationality and NOT relinquishing German passport?

Isn't Germany one of those countries which doesn't alllow dual citizenship?

23 hours ago, GarryP said:

Isn't Germany one of those countries which doesn't alllow dual citizenship?

BMI - Homepage - Dual citizenship - multiple nationality (bund.de)

Can I become a naturalized citizen without giving up my previous citizenship?

Section 12 of the Nationality Act

As a rule, no. One aim of German nationality law is to avoid creating multiple nationality through naturalization as far as possible. However, there are exceptions for cases of special hardship.

• In certain cases, German citizens may apply for dual nationality, allowing them to acquire foreign citizenship while retaining their German citizenship.

There are some exceptions. Looking for someone who has been able to maintain German nationality and acquired Thai nationality

3 hours ago, beeper said:
  • In certain cases, German citizens may apply for dual nationality, allowing them to acquire foreign citizenship while retaining their German citizenship.

There are some exceptions. Looking for someone who has been able to maintain German nationality and acquired Thai nationality

Did you see my DM?

On 6/7/2022 at 1:19 PM, moochai87 said:

Might be a bit late on this but you have to take it there and take a photo of you with the letter at the British Embassy building. They will not accept the letter, they will not provide you a receipt, you cannot take photos of embassy staff. Just take a selfie with the letter next to the sign and send it to your case officer. 

32 minutes ago, Inter Student Thailand said:

Might be a bit late on this but you have to take it there and take a photo of you with the letter at the British Embassy building. They will not accept the letter, they will not provide you a receipt, you cannot take photos of embassy staff. Just take a selfie with the letter next to the sign and send it to your case officer. 

They have thought up some quite comical procedures in recent years.

50 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

Just curious. Has anyone here who obtained their Thai citizenship run into a government or private organization that failed to recognize your new citizenship? So far things have been smooth for me. Knock on wood.

0 issues! 

53 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

Just curious. Has anyone here who obtained their Thai citizenship run into a government or private organization that failed to recognize your new citizenship? So far things have been smooth for me. Knock on wood.

2 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

0 issues! 

I had one issue at the Land Departmment in Somdej. When I went to register the purchase of land with my wife, a junior Land Department officer could not believe/accept that I was Thai despite handing over my ID card and house registration. She then scuttled off (with me close behind) to check with her boss who smiled and said everything was fine as the documents proved that I was Thai. After that, everything went smoothly. 

Never had any other issues.  

4 hours ago, qualtrough said:

1. The head of registrations at a Land Office refused to register land in my name without the original of the naturalisation certificate which I didn't have with me and I was a plane ride away from my home. Eventually she agreed, if I signed an essay scrawled by her certifying that I was indeed a Thai citizen and had not yet had my Thai citizenship revoked.  A real PITA wasting an hour arguing with her and signing unnecessary docs. I told her to just take my ID card to the district office next door and put it in the smart card reader, if she didn't one, or call SB or the MoI but she refused to consider any of that.

2. BTS. A sales clerk refused to let me buy a 50% discount senior card (not sure if they are still issued) on presentation of my ID card. She said it was for Thais but not this kind of a Thai. I had to get her to call her supervisor who went red in the when he saw what his girl was doing and the huge angry queue behind me and told her to issue the pink card double quick.

3.  At a sports club that practised dual pricing in membership prices.  Same thing as BTS - not for this type of a Thai.  I refused to pay more than the Thai fee and she said would take it up with her boss and, if he confirmed that white Thais had to pay the foreigner price, I could either pay the differential or get my money back.  When I came back to pick up the card, nothing more was said about the white Thai rate.

4. At a tourist "attraction" in Hua Hin. I was told the Thai rate was only for Thai citizens born in Thailand which is obviously an absurd assertion, as there is no place of birth on ID cards.  Ethnic Thais could easily be born overseas and white Thais could easily be born in Thailand. What they meant was that they didn't feel like giving the discount to white Thais.  I asked her, if she was aware who had ountersigned my citizenship application and threatened a 112 prosecution but cut no ice. So my family just left and they made no money out of us at all but had the satisfaction of discriminating against a Thai on grounds of racial origin. As we were leaving, we heard them explaining to a Thai family what all the fuss was about - the farang tried to get the Thai price but we couldn't have that.

Perhaps I have been unlucky. I have had other incidences, such as at the hospital where my son was born where I just could not get the message through that I was Thai after showing my ID card and tabien baan.  The girl would not stop asking for my passport and WP for the birth certificate, until I got rather irritated and asked my wife to go and explain to her and the missus had a hard time getting it into her brain too.  This wasn't an attempt at discrimination, just utter incomprehension that a white guy could be a Thai citizen. The Revenue Department also called the other day to ask me to bring my passport to check I had been in Thailand 180 days in the tax year to qualify for a tax rebate but didn't insist when I explained. 

I remember reading in other threads about farang fathers taking their Thai citizen look krung children to tourist attractions such as Safari World and being refused the Thai price for kids which is tricky, if they are not old enough to have ID cards and the mother is not with them to remonstrate.  In this case, it is probably recommended to bring copies of their birth certificates or tabien baan, although that is not picture ID.  Farang look krung kids may also be effectively discriminated against at places where they use a measuring stick to charge kids taller than 90cm.  Look krung kids, especially boys, are likely to hit 90cm much younger than most Thai kids but nothing can be done about this.

18 hours ago, Arkady said:

1. The head of registrations at a Land Office refused to register land in my name without the original of the naturalisation certificate which I didn't have with me and I was a plane ride away from my home. Eventually she agreed, if I signed an essay scrawled by her certifying that I was indeed a Thai citizen and had not yet had my Thai citizenship revoked.  A real PITA wasting an hour arguing with her and signing unnecessary docs. I told her to just take my ID card to the district office next door and put it in the smart card reader, if she didn't one, or call SB or the MoI but she refused to consider any of that.

2. BTS. A sales clerk refused to let me buy a 50% discount senior card (not sure if they are still issued) on presentation of my ID card. She said it was for Thais but not this kind of a Thai. I had to get her to call her supervisor who went red in the when he saw what his girl was doing and the huge angry queue behind me and told her to issue the pink card double quick.

3.  At a sports club that practised dual pricing in membership prices.  Same thing as BTS - not for this type of a Thai.  I refused to pay more than the Thai fee and she said would take it up with her boss and, if he confirmed that white Thais had to pay the foreigner price, I could either pay the differential or get my money back.  When I came back to pick up the card, nothing more was said about the white Thai rate.

4. At a tourist "attraction" in Hua Hin. I was told the Thai rate was only for Thai citizens born in Thailand which is obviously an absurd assertion, as there is no place of birth on ID cards.  Ethnic Thais could easily be born overseas and white Thais could easily be born in Thailand. What they meant was that they didn't feel like giving the discount to white Thais.  I asked her, if she was aware who had ountersigned my citizenship application and threatened a 112 prosecution but cut no ice. So my family just left and they made no money out of us at all but had the satisfaction of discriminating against a Thai on grounds of racial origin. As we were leaving, we heard them explaining to a Thai family what all the fuss was about - the farang tried to get the Thai price but we couldn't have that.

Perhaps I have been unlucky. I have had other incidences, such as at the hospital where my son was born where I just could not get the message through that I was Thai after showing my ID card and tabien baan.  The girl would not stop asking for my passport and WP for the birth certificate, until I got rather irritated and asked my wife to go and explain to her and the missus had a hard time getting it into her brain too.  This wasn't an attempt at discrimination, just utter incomprehension that a white guy could be a Thai citizen. The Revenue Department also called the other day to ask me to bring my passport to check I had been in Thailand 180 days in the tax year to qualify for a tax rebate but didn't insist when I explained. 

I remember reading in other threads about farang fathers taking their Thai citizen look krung children to tourist attractions such as Safari World and being refused the Thai price for kids which is tricky, if they are not old enough to have ID cards and the mother is not with them to remonstrate.  In this case, it is probably recommended to bring copies of their birth certificates or tabien baan, although that is not picture ID.  Farang look krung kids may also be effectively discriminated against at places where they use a measuring stick to charge kids taller than 90cm.  Look krung kids, especially boys, are likely to hit 90cm much younger than most Thai kids but nothing can be done about this.

Actually what the Land Dept lady did is disrespect H.E. Sign which invokes les majeste.

If you had complained to the police about this she would be serving a prison sentence right now.

As for luk krung prices, I always carry my childs Thai PP, never a problem.

On 7/14/2022 at 5:58 PM, qualtrough said:

The new M-Flow system doesn't recognise ID numbers that don't begin with 1 or 3 as being held by Thai nationals, so my Thai ID starting with 8 means I can't link my M-Flow account to debit directly from my EasyPass - have to link M-Flow to a credit card 'because foreigners can only link to a credit card'.

The government's plan to charge the tourism fee to all incoming foreigners without except based on the nationality shown on their ticket raises an interesting question about dual nationals.  Presumably they will be charged, if they buy a ticket under their foreign nationalities and perhaps that will show up somewhere undesirable. 

I have just bought a ticket to go overseas and back from a large foreign online travel agency and I am not aware of having been asked to submit nationality to register an account or buy the ticket. Of course Thai airlines demand to know your nationality.  Perhaps foreign ticket sellers will just charge everyone.  It is not yet clear how this is going to work.  Thai regulators may be unaware that nationality is not always demanded by overseas sellers of tickets to Thailand, since they are famous for shooting from the hip without doing any research. 

Archived