Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

3 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Using 7/11 services is definitely a modest goal and not recommended to give as the reason someone wants citizenship at the Lamlukka interview 555. But we take what we can get. For me it 's just being able to show one document or maximum two, if tabian baan included, instead of the whole shooting match of passport, WP, PR and PR books. If you are not working, it is a constant irritation being asked for a WP, despite having PR.

For the manned Thai immigration gates, you can also use them with PR.  But with a Thai passport it's fun when an IO or some Thai busybody tries to shoo you out of the queue and you just flip over the Thai passport and watch their face fall. I actually did the busybody thing myself when I was close to missing a flight and there was a bunch of Indians in the Thai queue in front of me. They became aggressive and refused to budge. But when they got to the front of the queue, the IO just pointed a wagging finger towards the back of the long alien queue and packed them off without saying a word. Of course I gave them a big smile as they filed past me.

I was being facetious ????

on a serious note its more about the insurance of taking care of my family, business and property without too much worry of staying in Thailand permanently 

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Yup, but I was told by a lawyer and a politician whom I used to teach that Thailand doesn't allow it.

It would be interesting if someone who had obtained Thai citizenship could she'd light on it.

I can't imagine anyone giving up western citizenship for Thai one though.

Well, I suppose if you moved here young enough or if you were raised here (e.g. luekrung) then it would make sense

On 7/14/2022 at 5:58 PM, qualtrough said:

Just curious. Has anyone here who obtained their Thai citizenship run into a government or private organization that failed to recognize your new citizenship? So far things have been smooth for me. Knock on wood.

I have read with interest the various comments made by naturalised Thais of the injustices they have faced notwithstanding their changed legal status as Thai nationals.  My application is still winding its way through the system and it is unlikely to reach a conclusions for at least a year or more.  I have been a permanent resident for over 6 years.

One of the frustrations of being a permanent resident is that the status seems to be viewed more as a favour than an entitlement; one is accorded no special rights as a permanent resident other than the 'right of abode'.  Owning land is still restricted as is the right to work, etc., etc.  More to the point, Thais in general have been led to expect that all foreigners in Thailand need to have some sort of a visa.  During the pandemic when the country was essentially closed to international travel, I did not renew my Non-Quota Immigrant Visa, of course - why would I, unless I wanted to travel?  One time when I checked into a hotel in the south the staff took a long time to search every blank page of my previously unused passport looking for a visa, to no avail needless to say.

The major benefit that comes of being a permanent resident is that it deprives the immigration department of discretionary powers as to whether or not to renew your visa annually, as far as I can see.  It is also preparatory for applying for citizenship unless one is married to a Thai.

I think when one is going to contemplate the injustices that naturalised Thais face living in Thailand it is important to also consider the manifold benefits that come of being granted Thai nationality.  It may, therefore, be of value for me to recount one of my most recent frustrations as a Thai PR.  I have been looking at interest rates on bank deposits.  Most commercial banks in Thailand have 'high' interest accounts to attract and retain customers.  As far as I can see, almost all banks have some such offering.  Siam Commerical Bank's offering is available to foreigners also, although the high interest rate is only available on the first one million baht.  I have enquired of about three or four other banks that similarly offer higher interest rate accounts.  They all restrict such accounts only to Thais and upon enquiry they explicitly exclude PRs too, although not naturalised Thais.

We can all probably think of occasions when 'foreigners' have been discriminated against in the various countries of our formative years and it would be naive to imagine that discrimination doesn't show up everywhere in some form.  It is a very human condition after all.  So, in summary, it seems to me that the benefits of naturalising as Thai far out way any 'minor' frustrations that may come along with it.

On 10/7/2022 at 4:09 PM, 2009 said:

It would be interesting if someone who had obtained Thai citizenship could she'd light on it.

I can't imagine anyone giving up western citizenship for Thai one though.

Well, I suppose if you moved here young enough or if you were raised here (e.g. luekrung) then it would make sense

If push came to shove I can see giving up my US citizenship. Everything I have is here. Family, work, home. I have no property or business ties to the USA, only a handful of siblings and relatives. And I could still visit them through applying for an using a visa. The only benefit I enjoy from US citizenship aside from visa-free travel to a lot of countries is having to file annual FATCA forms, having to spend about $800 a year to notify the US government that I owe them no taxes (one of something like two countries in the world that require that), and making me unattractive to banks and financial institutions outside the USA. In case anyone here is unaware, the US government doesn't give a rats ass about its citizens abroad. They have made that abundantly clear, the latest example being their donating vaccines to Thailand with no provision that some of those be set aside for its citizens here. I might decide differently if I was younger. But I am not.

23 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

If push came to shove I can see giving up my US citizenship. Everything I have is here. Family, work, home. I have no property or business ties to the USA, only a handful of siblings and relatives. And I could still visit them through applying for an using a visa. The only benefit I enjoy from US citizenship aside from visa-free travel to a lot of countries is having to file annual FATCA forms, having to spend about $800 a year to notify the US government that I owe them no taxes (one of something like two countries in the world that require that), and making me unattractive to banks and financial institutions outside the USA. In case anyone here is unaware, the US government doesn't give a rats ass about its citizens abroad. They have made that abundantly clear, the latest example being their donating vaccines to Thailand with no provision that some of those be set aside for its citizens here. I might decide differently if I was younger. But I am not.

I'd give up my British citizenship if I had to choose between Thai and British. In the UK I only have my father, step-mother and half sister. Having lived here for 40 years, I have no ties to the UK other than that. It's a no brainer really. Obviously, I won't be proactive in surrendering my British citizenship though. 

On 10/7/2022 at 4:04 PM, 2009 said:

Yup, but I was told by a lawyer and a politician whom I used to teach that Thailand doesn't allow it.

Sounds like a lawyer who was happy to give a legal opinion citizenship without reading the Nationality Act first. In fact the Act is somewhat ambivalent about dual citizenship, neither specifically prohibiting nor permitting it. There are certain provisions that allow for revocation of Thai citizenship from naturalised Thais and Thais who obtain citizenship through birth in Thailand to two alien parents for making use of or taking an interest in (neither term is defined) another nationality. 

On 10/10/2022 at 3:51 PM, GarryP said:

I'd give up my British citizenship if I had to choose between Thai and British. In the UK I only have my father, step-mother and half sister. Having lived here for 40 years, I have no ties to the UK other than that. It's a no brainer really. Obviously, I won't be proactive in surrendering my British citizenship though. 

I've been in Thailand almost all of my adult life, but I couldn't see myself ever giving up British citizenship.

I like the idea of being able to spend 6 months in the UK and 6 months in Thailand when I retire.

Not that I have more in the UK than Thailand, I don't -- but just to enjoy the freedom, get the best of both worlds, and have the choice.

Also, one day it might be necessary in old age. And one day I might entirely change my mind about Thailand. You never know. My kids could even leave Thailand as I left the West. Then, I wouldn't have much to stay for.

Also, it would be great to own a UK property to rent out and fund my retirement in Thailand, or wherever. I wouldn't touch Thai property.

Aside from that, it is so easy to qualify for the retirement visa in Thailand. It seems like a no-brainer for me to do that indefinitely when I retire.

2 hours ago, 2009 said:

I've been in Thailand almost all of my adult life, but I couldn't see myself ever giving up British citizenship.

I like the idea of being able to spend 6 months in the UK and 6 months in Thailand when I retire.

Not that I have more in the UK than Thailand, I don't -- but just to enjoy the freedom, get the best of both worlds, and have the choice.

Also, one day it might be necessary in old age. And one day I might entirely change my mind about Thailand. You never know. My kids could even leave Thailand as I left the West. Then, I wouldn't have much to stay for.

Also, it would be great to own a UK property to rent out and fund my retirement in Thailand, or wherever. I wouldn't touch Thai property.

Aside from that, it is so easy to qualify for the retirement visa in Thailand. It seems like a no-brainer for me to do that indefinitely when I retire.

Everyone's mileage varies. I would not be in a rush to revoke my US citizenship, but as I wrote earlier if I had to choose it would be Thailand, simply because everything in my life is here and very little in the US. Added reason: I really like living here.

On 10/14/2022 at 10:49 AM, 2009 said:

But will that always be the case?  During covid, restrictions were imposed on retirees such that many effectively couldn't leave Thailand without jeopardising their rights in Thailand principally because many were unable to obtain health insurance coverage of sufficient value.

19th Oct list (175 people) has many people from Chiangrai, some from Chiangmai in addition to most from Bangkok as usual. Chonburi & Phuket residents are also listed(1 or 2).

Don’t know if they applied in those provinces or shifted to those provinces after final interview.

David brother, when was the final interview held for them?

On 10/22/2022 at 11:31 AM, sinthavee said:

19th Oct list (175 people) has many people from Chiangrai, some from Chiangmai in addition to most from Bangkok as usual. Chonburi & Phuket residents are also listed(1 or 2).

Don’t know if they applied in those provinces or shifted to those provinces after final interview.

2021 as 1 of my friend is in the List , and his Interview was in April 2021

15 minutes ago, david143 said:

2021 as 1 of my friend is in the List , and his Interview was in April 2021

That's 18 months between interview and publication. I believe this was the schedule before Covid, too. So, they are on track. ????

2 hours ago, onthemoon said:

That's 18 months between interview and publication. I believe this was the schedule before Covid, too. So, they are on track. ????

I thought previously the timeline to citizenship issuance after the MOI final interview was 12 months, no?

On 10/22/2022 at 11:31 AM, sinthavee said:

Congrats to all on the list.  

AFAIK applicants who moved their tabien baans to Bangkok have always felt they needed to maintain the Bangkok address until after announcement in the RG.  I think the greater number of provincial addresses reflects greater efforts made to set up systems to facilitate applications in the provinces with larger numbers of expat workers, perhaps to support the MOI's push to take over the entire process from SB.  That might leave people living out in the boonies in the lurch, as it is hard to see the MOI setting up systems in all provinces when they might never be used.  However, they might not be willing to overlook the use of borrowed Bangkok addresses, as SB does.  

3 hours ago, Marcati said:

I thought previously the timeline to citizenship issuance after the MOI final interview was 12 months, no?

In my notes, it says 18 months. I must have noted it down from postings in this list.

Maybe it was 12 months some longer time ago?

4 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

In my notes, it says 18 months. I must have noted it down from postings in this list.

Maybe it was 12 months some longer time ago?

I wait from my MOI interview to RG total 19 Months.
17 Dec 2019 MOI interview
RG: 4 August 2021

2 hours ago, Arkady said:

Congrats to all on the list.  

AFAIK applicants who moved their tabien baans to Bangkok have always felt they needed to maintain the Bangkok address until after announcement in the RG.  I think the greater number of provincial addresses reflects greater efforts made to set up systems to facilitate applications in the provinces with larger numbers of expat workers, perhaps to support the MOI's push to take over the entire process from SB.  That might leave people living out in the boonies in the lurch, as it is hard to see the MOI setting up systems in all provinces when they might never be used.  However, they might not be willing to overlook the use of borrowed Bangkok addresses, as SB does.  

My SB contact told me to change everything back to my province before taking the oath. 

This helps when its time to get your id, blue book, etc no need to return to bkk

1 hour ago, yankee99 said:

My SB contact told me to change everything back to my province before taking the oath. 

This helps when its time to get your id, blue book, etc no need to return to bkk

Interesting. So, if that is current SB advice, there is no way of telling whether applicants in the announcements applied in Bangkok or in their provinces, unless the announcements post the addresses in their application forms. Does anyone know, if this is the case?

Archived