Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

On 7/16/2022 at 11:43 AM, DrJoy said:

Update-

The requirement to get 'No criminal record' certificate from your embassy, has been done away with by the SB Police.

I wonder why that is? Seems like one of the more important thing the government would want to know.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

I wonder why that is? Seems like one of the more important thing the government would want to know.

It wasn't required when i applied many years ago. In my case the embassy told me that i would have to contact the FBI

Bearing in mind the prohibition against using my American passport in Thailand, can anyone advise me on how I handle things when I purchase a ticket from Thailand /Europe/USA and back? Can I use my Thai passport when purchasing the tickets? And then when I check in use that, and if they ask if I have a visa for Europe and the US flash my American passport? 

3 hours ago, qualtrough said:

Bearing in mind the prohibition against using my American passport in Thailand, can anyone advise me on how I handle things when I purchase a ticket from Thailand /Europe/USA and back? Can I use my Thai passport when purchasing the tickets? And then when I check in use that, and if they ask if I have a visa for Europe and the US flash my American passport? 

I just flew out on ANA about 3 week ago.  In thailand i needed to show the airline booth passports.  Immigration ticket and thai passport only. In tokyo i just used my us passport.   It really is very simple dont over think it!

This is my 2nd trip and both were the same procedure but the 1st exit they needed to update their system but it was a breeze

13 hours ago, yankee99 said:

I just flew out on ANA about 3 week ago.  In thailand i needed to show the airline booth passports.  Immigration ticket and thai passport only. In tokyo i just used my us passport.   It really is very simple dont over think it!

This is my 2nd trip and both were the same procedure but the 1st exit they needed to update their system but it was a breeze

Thank you very much!

Do you guys think the new long stay visa and Digital work permit provided by BOI might be applicable for Thai citizenship application later on the road? I'm thinking about it since I'd avoid opening a company. I'm talking about the work from Thailand scheme starting in September.

4 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

Do you guys think the new long stay visa and Digital work permit provided by BOI might be applicable for Thai citizenship application later on the road? I'm thinking about it since I'd avoid opening a company. I'm talking about the work from Thailand scheme starting in September.

Your best bet is to head down to SB Police and discuss with them.

Special Branch Royal Thai Police

Special Branch Bureau Building 6, Royal Thai Police, Rama 1 Rd,

Khwaeng Pathum Wan, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok 10330

Tel.: 02-2051823

Does anyone have a definitive answer as to when an applicant for citizenship can give up their work permit? My documents have only just been sent to MOI since applying 14 months ago. I will be wanting to retire sooner rather than later and I am wondering if I really need to maintain my WP right up to the moment of getting my Thai ID card. Is it OK give it up after the MOI interview? After taking the oath? Any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers!

3 hours ago, ecline said:

Does anyone have a definitive answer as to when an applicant for citizenship can give up their work permit? My documents have only just been sent to MOI since applying 14 months ago. I will be wanting to retire sooner rather than later and I am wondering if I really need to maintain my WP right up to the moment of getting my Thai ID card. Is it OK give it up after the MOI interview? After taking the oath? Any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Definitive probably not. I could have given it  up after NIA but  it wasn't worth risking starting over again if someone wanted it 

On 7/19/2022 at 12:21 AM, qualtrough said:

The 'Certificate of Legal Age' requirement has also been dispensed with.

On 7/25/2022 at 12:36 PM, ecline said:

Cheers!

After NIA may be OK in most cases these days but personally I would hold a WP until at least the MOI interview. They have not been asking to see docs at the MOI recently but in the past they did and that could easily revert back again, if a new person takes over and thinks things have become too slack. Some were actually called to MOI to have their WPs checked for continuity before they would schedule an interview and were told their applications would have been axed, if past and current WPs had not been in order. There is also the fairly rare case that the MOI is unhappy about the way SB put the application together and knocks it back to them to get employment letter redone snd re-verify docs.

If you can keep working a big longer I would. Even if a small risk, it is a risk and it would be a shame to get axed with no way of reapplying, if you have already retired and can’t set up a new 3 year work record.

On 7/14/2022 at 5:58 PM, qualtrough said:

Just curious. Has anyone here who obtained their Thai citizenship run into a government or private organization that failed to recognize your new citizenship? So far things have been smooth for me. Knock on wood.

Royal Hua Hin golf club  basically told me I wasn't Thai and couldn't join. 

On 7/19/2022 at 9:54 PM, yankee99 said:

I just flew out on ANA about 3 week ago.  In thailand i needed to show the airline booth passports.  Immigration ticket and thai passport only.

Did you change; your visa when you got Thai Citizenship?

On 7/25/2022 at 12:36 PM, ecline said:

Cheers!

Not definitive but my experience. 

I wasn't asked for my WP after the NIA stage. 

If I had had the option, I would have waited until the name was in the RG. 

It's taken me around a year of deliberation to decide that I want to share my Thai citizenship application. If any mod feels it should not be posted, please feel free to take it down.

I've lived and worked in Thailand for the past 15 years. My wife is Thai, and I work to take care of my wife, her 3 children and 1 granddaughter.

About 18 months ago I took the decision to apply for Thai citizenship. My language skills are a bit rusty but I seemed to fill all the other criteria.

My wife and I went to the Police HQ to start the ball rolling. We sat down with an officer, who went through my papers. Apart from a couple of small things, everything seemed to be okay.

About a week later, my wife and I went back to see the same officer. We gave him the extra details he had asked for, then my wife asked him how much the process would cost.

The officer didn't speak but wrote on a piece of paper, which he slid across the desk to my wife (I already knew that the fee should be around 5000baht). My wife looked at the paper.......50,000baht. I told him that he may have made a mistake and I wasn't prepared to pay 50,000baht for something that should be 5000baht. He said it was okay and that I could just pay 5000 baht.

Now it gets weird.

He asked why my wife and I didn't have any children together (Reasonable question). I explained that my wife was 40 and I was 50 when we met. She has 3 grown up children, as do I and that we didn't feel the need to have any more. Apart from that, I'd had a vasectomy around 35 years ago.

He then told me to go to a hospital and have a fertility test, then go back to him with a signed letter from the doctor, saying that I had been sterlised. I didn't do it and I didn't return to the police HQ.

Shortly after this, I decided that Thai citizenship wasn't for me.

However, I do wish the best of luck to anyone going through the process now, and in the future.

On 7/28/2022 at 6:19 PM, Dogmatix said:

After NIA may be OK in most cases these days but personally I would hold a WP until at least the MOI interview. They have not been asking to see docs at the MOI recently but in the past they did and that could easily revert back again, if a new person takes over and thinks things have become too slack. Some were actually called to MOI to have their WPs checked for continuity before they would schedule an interview and were told their applications would have been axed, if past and current WPs had not been in order. There is also the fairly rare case that the MOI is unhappy about the way SB put the application together and knocks it back to them to get employment letter redone snd re-verify docs.

If you can keep working a big longer I would. Even if a small risk, it is a risk and it would be a shame to get axed with no way of reapplying, if you have already retired and can’t set up a new 3 year work record.

Thanks for the info. I certainly won't be giving up my WP before the MOI interview. SB sent my docs to the MOI already, so it would be pretty lame to not wait at least until the interview with them was complete. I was thinking maybe it would be ok after having taken the oath. I guess I will see what people say about the process as time goes on and make a decision as I get a bit closer to the end of the process.

13 hours ago, jaiyenyen said:

It's taken me around a year of deliberation to decide that I want to share my Thai citizenship application. If any mod feels it should not be posted, please feel free to take it down.

I've lived and worked in Thailand for the past 15 years. My wife is Thai, and I work to take care of my wife, her 3 children and 1 granddaughter.

About 18 months ago I took the decision to apply for Thai citizenship. My language skills are a bit rusty but I seemed to fill all the other criteria.

My wife and I went to the Police HQ to start the ball rolling. We sat down with an officer, who went through my papers. Apart from a couple of small things, everything seemed to be okay.

About a week later, my wife and I went back to see the same officer. We gave him the extra details he had asked for, then my wife asked him how much the process would cost.

The officer didn't speak but wrote on a piece of paper, which he slid across the desk to my wife (I already knew that the fee should be around 5000baht). My wife looked at the paper.......50,000baht. I told him that he may have made a mistake and I wasn't prepared to pay 50,000baht for something that should be 5000baht. He said it was okay and that I could just pay 5000 baht.

Now it gets weird.

He asked why my wife and I didn't have any children together (Reasonable question). I explained that my wife was 40 and I was 50 when we met. She has 3 grown up children, as do I and that we didn't feel the need to have any more. Apart from that, I'd had a vasectomy around 35 years ago.

He then told me to go to a hospital and have a fertility test, then go back to him with a signed letter from the doctor, saying that I had been sterlised. I didn't do it and I didn't return to the police HQ.

Shortly after this, I decided that Thai citizenship wasn't for me.

However, I do wish the best of luck to anyone going through the process now, and in the future.

Strange. They must have had some suspicion that you were in a 'convenience marriage'. How long have you been married?

42 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Strange. They must have had some suspicion that you were in a 'convenience marriage'. How long have you been married?

Married (Legally) for 15 years.

I just felt that because I refused to pay 55,000 baht, they (SB) were going to make things difficult. Proving my vasectomy was only going to be the start.

41 minutes ago, jaiyenyen said:

I just felt that because I refused to pay 55,000 baht, they (SB) were going to make things difficult. Proving my vasectomy was only going to be the start.

I thought they weren't particularly friendly at the first meeting but they became very friendly. If there's one thing I would advise it is try again. I think they don't want any old Tom Dick or Harry going for it so they give most people some kind of trial to test you 'Thai patience'. For me it was lots of issues at the British Embassy and the Khet in Bang Kae. When a couple of male civil servants insulted me when going for the Thai name, after needing to get my Birth certificate translated and verified and a heap of other needless requests like my parents' passports translated etc, I nearly gave up. So glad I didn't and just took the whole process one step at a time. 

Maybe the officer thought your wife was asking how much to make things easier. 

Once you get over the initial bizarre requests, it really is just waiting for 3 years.  Getting a note from a doctor isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things. 

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Maybe the officer thought your wife was asking how much to make things easier. 

There was no ambiguity in my wife's question. She simply asked what the fee for Thai citizenship was. Anyway, one would hope that SB were above asking for a bribe (Obviously not).

With regard to my visit to the doctor. He wanted a full examination, including samples. I could understand it if I was still a virile young man but at 65, I'm not.

That was just one hoop I wasn't prepared to jump through, and I got the feeling that because I didn't stump up 55,000 baht, he had a few more hoops waiting for me around the corner

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has been asked for a bribe or asked to prove their sterility. 

I'm sad to say that I won't be continuing with my application. I'm 65 now so I'm unlikely to complete the process before I'm 68.

Life's too short 555

3 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

Having no intention to work for a few pennies to fulfill the mandatory 3 year work permit, did you guys open a company on purpose to do that? Is there any other way? Thanks

Yes, you can start a company with your Thai wife (if married)

Pay yourself salary of THB 40k a month, pay tax on that salary, social security etc.

That being said, its not easy to start a company but its doable if you really want to apply for Thai citizenship.

You will have to pay company tax, WP fees, rents, salaries etc.

However, when you apply, Special Police requests for PND 50 of the company (in case you are owner/shareholder)

3 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Pay yourself salary of THB 40k a month, pay tax on that salary, social security etc.

That being said, its not easy to start a company but its doable if you really want to apply for Thai citizenship.

However, when you apply, Special Police requests for PND 50 of the company (in case you are owner/shareholder)

Thank you for the information

4 hours ago, DrJoy said:

need to see if it is worth it the cost

On 8/1/2022 at 12:32 PM, jaiyenyen said:

IMHO It doesn't sound to me like you were that interested if you let a few bumps put you off of it. You might be right that they were going to be difficult with you, but judging from my case and most of the other people here that would not be the case. 

On 8/1/2022 at 5:21 PM, jaiyenyen said:

There was no ambiguity in my wife's question. She simply asked what the fee for Thai citizenship was. Anyway, one would hope that SB were above asking for a bribe (Obviously not).

With regard to my visit to the doctor. He wanted a full examination, including samples. I could understand it if I was still a virile young man but at 65, I'm not.

That was just one hoop I wasn't prepared to jump through, and I got the feeling that because I didn't stump up 55,000 baht, he had a few more hoops waiting for me around the corner

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has been asked for a bribe or asked to prove their sterility. 

I'm sad to say that I won't be continuing with my application. I'm 65 now so I'm unlikely to complete the process before I'm 68.

Life's too short 555

Yes, I can confirm that we were also asked for a 'gift' of 50,000 THB (apart from the official fee). Before asking, the officer went through my documents and casually commented (or rather commended) that both me and my wife were earning 'high' salaries.

1 hour ago, saakura said:

Yes, I can confirm that we were also asked for a 'gift' of 50,000 THB (apart from the official fee). Before asking, the officer went through my documents and casually commented (or rather commended) that both me and my wife were earning 'high' salaries.

It's some comfort to know that I'm not the only one to be asked for this amount.

But as it's a somewhat sensitive subject, I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

Thanks for sharing that saakura. I hope your application will/has been a success.

Archived