Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DrJoy said:

I dont know how useful this is in this thread?

1.) Keeps the hope up for those who are still waiting

2.) Once my name is in there, I will appreciate it a lot.

That's my 2 cents.

On 5/29/2023 at 12:34 PM, DrJoy said:

Where ever I have been asked about my Nationality be it in parks, museums etc. I always get the Thai rate with my ID card.

After I show them my ID card no questions asked, no arguments.

I am yet to encounter any racial discrimination as you claim.

YMMV

My experience has been the same. So far I have experienced either indifference, or smiles. I have yet to encounter anyone suggesting that I am not a Thai citizen, or that I should not be a Thai citizen. Prior to obtaining citizenship one of the most common questions I was asked by Thais I ran into in the ordinary course of events was "Have you applied to be a Thai citizen?" or "Have you changed your citizenship yet?" I am sure such folk exist, but they have either held their tongues around me or are rare enough that I have yet to encounter one. It would not bother me that much in any case, as those types exist everywhere. Hell, there are Vermonters that won't accept peoples as locals if their family has only lived there for 200 years.

Having said that, this gun thing would set a worrisome precedent and I hope it is challenged and knocked back.

On 5/29/2023 at 3:27 PM, Arkady said:

You probably could but you would have to check with the district that surname is still available, if you didn't use when you got your ID card.  They explained to me that it is reserved until you get your Thai citizenship and I think 3-6 months after that.  For Brits taking a foreign name now means they have to change their name by deed poll in the UK to the Thai name and renew the Brit passport in that name, two different names are no longer allowed, if you want a Brit passport.  Some people like the idea of a new identity but it never appealed to me.

Could someone please explain this as I don't understand? If I'm granted Thai citizenship, I presumed that this would then be used on my Thai ID card (I'm British) when I apply for it. I don't get the "use it or lose it" bit. 

No, your new Thai name will not automatically be used on your new ID card.  All of the paperwork and Royal Gazette announcements will have your foreign name on them.  You will first get your ID card in your foreign name, at which point you could have the option to change your name to the Thai name you reserved at the start of your application.  Your new Thai name is never used a single time in any paperwork after the day you request it as just part of the process that you are required to do.

Funny story.  My European friend who got his citizenship the same time as I did was out of town a couple of weeks ago and 3 immigration police show up at his house, asking his wife where he was.  His wife explained to them that he had received his Thai citizenship all the way back in 2021, and that he had gotten his visa cancelled at immigration immediately after getting his blue ID card.  They explained that somehow their team was different from the visa department and that they never received word that my friend had acquired Thai citizenship.  His wife gave them a copy of his ID card and they went happily on their way.

I thought it was interesting to find out that even if you go through all the right steps of cancelling your visa, etc. Immigration may still come looking for you.  This is the first time I have heard about something like this happening, which means that in all other cases, Immigration must not be bothered enough to check on people that have "overstayed" their visa.  Apparently they came with their police cars and 4 officers, as if they were ready to haul him away to immigration prison.  Even within Immigration, I guess one department can't be bothered to let the others know about immigration status.  It is a miracle that our applications are able to make it through the process at all to obtain Thai nationality.  

2 hours ago, khongaeng said:

Funny story.  My European friend who got his citizenship the same time as I did was out of town a couple of weeks ago and 3 immigration police show up at his house, asking his wife where he was.  His wife explained to them that he had received his Thai citizenship all the way back in 2021, and that he had gotten his visa cancelled at immigration immediately after getting his blue ID card.  They explained that somehow their team was different from the visa department and that they never received word that my friend had acquired Thai citizenship.  His wife gave them a copy of his ID card and they went happily on their way.

I thought it was interesting to find out that even if you go through all the right steps of cancelling your visa, etc. Immigration may still come looking for you.  This is the first time I have heard about something like this happening, which means that in all other cases, Immigration must not be bothered enough to check on people that have "overstayed" their visa.  Apparently they came with their police cars and 4 officers, as if they were ready to haul him away to immigration prison.  Even within Immigration, I guess one department can't be bothered to let the others know about immigration status.  It is a miracle that our applications are able to make it through the process at all to obtain Thai nationality.  

Interesting story. I would speculate that the information about his naturalisation and cancellation of visa was readily available but it never occurred to the goons to check whether he had obtained Thai citizenship, since it is such a rare occurrence. 

It is odd that that there has never been a case like this with those who didn't bother to cancel their visas but the only known case is someone who taken the trouble to cancel his visa.  Seems more worthwhile now to cancel the visa.

5 hours ago, khongaeng said:

there was a article in nnt June 1 about a sweep in Phuket and one of the detainees had already received citizenship 

15 hours ago, khongaeng said:

No, your new Thai name will not automatically be used on your new ID card.  All of the paperwork and Royal Gazette announcements will have your foreign name on them.  You will first get your ID card in your foreign name, at which point you could have the option to change your name to the Thai name you reserved at the start of your application.  Your new Thai name is never used a single time in any paperwork after the day you request it as just part of the process that you are required to do.

Thanks very much for clarifying this. 

On 6/2/2023 at 11:56 AM, qualtrough said:

My experience has been the same. So far I have experienced either indifference, or smiles. I have yet to encounter anyone suggesting that I am not a Thai citizen, or that I should not be a Thai citizen

Thanks @qualtrough

On 6/4/2023 at 3:11 PM, khongaeng said:

That story makes me a bit nervous. After I was granted citizenship I went down to my local immigration department to cancel my visa. They took care of that, but had no documentation to hand me. When I ask them about it they told me not to worry, I was removed from the system. I found/find it hard to believe that there is no documentation offered for such an important event. Did anyone else canceling their visa get any kind of paperwork attesting to that?

9 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

That story makes me a bit nervous. After I was granted citizenship I went down to my local immigration department to cancel my visa. They took care of that, but had no documentation to hand me. When I ask them about it they told me not to worry, I was removed from the system. I found/find it hard to believe that there is no documentation offered for such an important event. Did anyone else canceling their visa get any kind of paperwork attesting to that?

documents to be submit
RG publication copy
Citizenship Certificate
1 Request letter

they wrote down on my Non O Visa , tang dao ni pen Khun thai laew.
and said Thats all, work done no documentations or receipts provided.

5 hours ago, qualtrough said:

I was a PR and definitely had to hand back the alien and residence books but no receipt or confirmation was given.  I suppose the non-quota visa endorsement was cancelled in my passport but I can't remember that and it is not to hand at the moment. 

I don't think there is any need to worry about this, even if you didn't bother to cancel your visa like some people in this thread.  You are Thai and can't be arrested for an immigration offence.  They might criticise someone for not cancelling their visa but I don't see what offence they could charge you with.  

On 6/5/2023 at 1:59 PM, qualtrough said:

I had my visa cancelled at the immigration office as well, but they didn't stamp cancelled over the visa and re-entry in the passport.  Rather they wrote in Thai (taking the usual full page of my previous nationality passport). "This person received Thai nationality according to the the Royal Gazette posting xxxxx on date xxxxx" signed by the person in charge that would normally sign visas.  The documents I took with me were my Blue Thai ID card. Royal Gazette copy and Naturalization paper.  They didn't keep any originals and actually made copies for free (shocking)! My European friend that had immigration police show up at his door 2 years after his visa expired also had a similar handwritten note in his passport.  

7 minutes ago, khongaeng said:

I had my visa cancelled at the immigration office as well, but they didn't stamp cancelled over the visa and re-entry in the passport.  Rather they wrote in Thai (taking the usual full page of my previous nationality passport). "This person received Thai nationality according to the the Royal Gazette posting xxxxx on date xxxxx" signed by the person in charge that would normally sign visas.  The documents I took with me were my Blue Thai ID card. Royal Gazette copy and Naturalization paper.  They didn't keep any originals and actually made copies for free (shocking)! My European friend that had immigration police show up at his door 2 years after his visa expired also had a similar handwritten note in his passport.  

I asked them to write that in my passport. They didn't want to, saying it didn't matter as I could just let the visa expire.

On 6/2/2023 at 11:56 AM, qualtrough said:

My experience has been the same. So far I have experienced either indifference, or smiles. I have yet to encounter anyone suggesting that I am not a Thai citizen, or that I should not be a Thai citizen.

I wish I could say the same. 

Denied the Thai price at a golf course in Hua Hin as m face wasn't the same as Thai people.

A woman at the bank shouting out that farang couldn't be Thai, but Chinese could, and she used to work at the MoI. 

15 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Denied the Thai price at a golf course in Hua Hin as m face wasn't the same as Thai people.

A woman at the bank shouting out that farang couldn't be Thai, but Chinese could, and she used to work at the MoI. 

i wish someone shout on me and i will break the heck of them.
till now i haven't faced any discrimination , few days ago i been to Mae Sai and i crossed border to burma with thai ID district staff who handle border pass very happy to see smiled on face and only 30 Baht , no problem at all , she just said me lucky guy have Thai ID , i just smiled and said Krub
next i am planning to visit Thai laos and cambodia Border markets, with thai ID

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Have a copy of the naturalisation certificate signed HM the King on your phone and ask them to take it up with the signatory! ????

On 6/6/2023 at 10:43 PM, Neeranam said:

May I politely ask if you played golf that day ? Or if you now use a new bank ? 

25 minutes ago, Andyvisions said:

May I politely ask if you played golf that day ? Or if you now use a new bank ? 

No, I haven't been back to that course, which is 10 minutes from my house. 

The rude woman in the bank didn't work there, so I still use the account. 

More recently, I asked to borrow some money from another bank just to see if I could. After asking for my passport and getting my Thai ID card, the teller said they had better check with headquarters. When she got off the phone, she said yes, but you need to show your Work Permit! 

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

No, I haven't been back to that course, which is 10 minutes from my house. 

The rude woman in the bank didn't work there, so I still use the account. 

More recently, I asked to borrow some money from another bank just to see if I could. After asking for my passport and getting my Thai ID card, the teller said they had better check with headquarters. When she got off the phone, she said yes, but you need to show your Work Permit! 

When i go to the bank i skip bringing my id????. As soon as they ask for my passport i whip out my thai passport and the silence is deafening ????

19 hours ago, Marcati said:

Is anyone from this forum on that list?

I'm curious as to when their paperwork was signed by HRM.

Mine is still sitting at the palace since Oct.

This is not Citizenship grant, its cancellation announcement

6 hours ago, yankee99 said:

When i go to the bank i skip bringing my id????. As soon as they ask for my passport i whip out my thai passport and the silence is deafening ????

Why would you do that? I don't have the Thai ID yet, I still have the pink ID. When they ask for passport, I just give them the pink ID. Easy for everybody, no questions asked.

Archived