Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

1 minute ago, onthemoon said:

Why would you do that? I don't have the Thai ID yet, I still have the pink ID. When they ask for passport, I just give them the pink ID. Easy for everybody, no questions asked.

Because when i give them my id they still ask for a passport.  Never had a pink id which wouldn't work for a thai bank account which is different then foreigner account 

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

Because when i give them my id they still ask for a passport.  Never had a pink id which wouldn't work for a thai bank account which is different then foreigner account 

You didn't mention that you give them your ID first. You said you wouldn't bring your ID. I never bring my passport, and they won't ask for it when they see the ID.

Well, YMMV.

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

No, I haven't been back to that course, which is 10 minutes from my house. 

The rude woman in the bank didn't work there, so I still use the account. 

More recently, I asked to borrow some money from another bank just to see if I could. After asking for my passport and getting my Thai ID card, the teller said they had better check with headquarters. When she got off the phone, she said yes, but you need to show your Work Permit! 

You might consider taking the golf course issue up with the new government, if MFP gets to form it. The dual pricing by itself is discouraging for the tourism trade but It is more importantly for this thread it unconstitutional discrimination against Thai citizens on grounds of racial origin.  In addition they are using state land to indulge in their unlawful discrimination against Thais. MFT has a policy to dismantle the alcohol industry oligopoly of which the owners of the golf course, the Bhirompakdi family have long been a beneficiary. They will probably also like to take a fresh look at land rented out by SRT at sweetheart prices. I remember reading long ago that SRT which is the owner of the gold course land was renting it out to them for only about 10,000 a month at the time. It might be more now but unlikely to be anywhere near a market rent. I don't know if you ever played at the Railway Course in Bangkok but, due to public pressure SRT was eventually forced to turn over the land to be a public park.  For what SRT gets in rent for the Hua Hin golf course, they may as well make that into a public park too, rather than allow the tenants manage it in this way.  I am sure you would appreciate a nice public park to go jogging in and walk your dog only 10 minutes from your house.

2 hours ago, onthemoon said:

You didn't mention that you give them your ID first. You said you wouldn't bring your ID. I never bring my passport, and they won't ask for it when they see the ID.

Well, YMMV.

I've thought of taking my Thai passport to show them just for a laugh. 

55 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

MFT has a policy to dismantle the alcohol industry oligopoly of which the owners of the golf course, the Bhirompakdi family have long been a beneficiary.

It was the railway one that said I couldn't join but the one saying I couldn't get Thai price is owned by an MP and actually is private land near military land near the sea.

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

It was the railway one that said I couldn't join but the one saying I couldn't get Thai price is owned by an MP and actually is private land near military land near the sea.

Great to know that your local MP is looking after the needs of all his constituents, including naturalised Thais who have the right to vote for or against him after the 5 year cooling off period.  Was he re-elected?

An interesting academic article on Thai citizenship law.

A particularly shocking point raised on P 14 is the case of Leekiang Sae-Tae in 2021.  She was born in Thailand to Chinese parents and absented herself from Thailand for 43 years resulting in the revocation of her Thai nationality by the minister in 2008 under Section 17 of the Nationality Act.  The Supreme Administrative Court upheld the minister's decision in 2021 in spite of the fact Article 39 of the 2017 Constitution prohibits involuntary revocation of Thai nationality from anyone Thai by birth which includes those who obtain citizenship through birth in Thailand to two foreign parents (post December 1972 both parents must be PRs.)  Perhaps the Supreme Administrative Court took the view that the minister's decision should be upheld because the constitution at the time of his original ruling provided no such protection from involuntary revocation for Thais who are Thai from birth. However, the article unfortunately doesn't say whether the constitutional prohibition was addressed or not in the final court case.  Perhaps Leekiang Sae-Tae should have brought her case in the Constitutional Court.

To date it is Thais born in Thailand to alien parents who have born the brunt of Thai nationality revocations, as shown by records in the RG.  Since their numbers are dying out now and Big Joke is busy turning public opinion against naturalised Thais, let's hope that the ministry doesn't get naturalised Thais in its sights instead.

Report on Citizenship Law May 2023.pdf

Had a pleasant surprise when visiting animal farm/petting zoo Alpaca Hil in Rachaburi. On visiting the girl at the front desk looked at my Thai ID and asked me if I was over 60. I said yes, and she gave me a VIP sticker and said entry was free. What surprised me is that this is a private enterprise. Saved me around 500 baht or more. 

31 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

Had a pleasant surprise when visiting animal farm/petting zoo Alpaca Hil in Rachaburi. On visiting the girl at the front desk looked at my Thai ID and asked me if I was over 60. I said yes, and she gave me a VIP sticker and said entry was free. What surprised me is that this is a private enterprise. Saved me around 500 baht or more. 

you'd be surprised the local shabu by me gives over 60 a substantial discount too

A few weeks back I posted a  comment about how I never received any kind of documentation when I cancelled my visa after obtaining citizenship. I obtained it about a year and a half ago. I even  asked them about it when I cancelled my visa and they told me not to worry. Nothing written in my passport either. Well lo and behold, I got a call from the wife on Saturday saying that a woman from immigration had called on Friday and was wondering why I hadn't renewed my visa! My wife explained that I had already obtained citizenship and she sent a copy of the document to the immigration office. Heard nothing since and hope that was a one off. But it shows that the concern is justified. I have a trip to Europe planned in a few months and I would hate to get up to the immigration desk at Swampy and run into this issue an hour or so before boarding time. I will certainly be bringing a copy of my citizenship document. They really should have a stamp that they put in your passport, and/or a letter/receipt showing cancellation was effected. Anyone else have this experience?

One more question if I may, and this one is directed to US citizens. I think it is relevant to the topic at hand, but if not mods can delete.

I am collecting SS from the US and every year they send a form to verify that you are still alive, asking a few questions. One of them is, " Has there been a change in your citizenship or your country of residence that you have not yet reported to SSA".

I am wondering why they need to know this, since it is allowed to collect SS as a non-citizen (if that is the case) and if you live overseas? Makes me wonder if at some point they might decide that those who change citizenship no longer qualify, and why they need to know this information. I have googled this many times, and the only hits I get are for people on SS who have become US citizens, not US citizens who have taken another citizenship. If anyone can advise about this your response will be greatly appreciated.

28 minutes ago, qualtrough said:

One more question if I may, and this one is directed to US citizens. I think it is relevant to the topic at hand, but if not mods can delete.

I am collecting SS from the US and every year they send a form to verify that you are still alive, asking a few questions. One of them is, " Has there been a change in your citizenship or your country of residence that you have not yet reported to SSA".

I am wondering why they need to know this, since it is allowed to collect SS as a non-citizen (if that is the case) and if you live overseas? Makes me wonder if at some point they might decide that those who change citizenship no longer qualify, and why they need to know this information. I have googled this many times, and the only hits I get are for people on SS who have become US citizens, not US citizens who have taken another citizenship. If anyone can advise about this your response will be greatly appreciated.

My brother is a dual US/UK citizen and I seem to remember him saying something about his US SS would be reduced because he is collecting the UK state pension as well (in the US the UK state pension is worth having because it is not frozen, if you live there).  If this is the case, the Thai old age allowance of 600 baht a month probably wouldn't be enough to affect your US SS and Thai SS, if you get it, is only 4,000 baht maximum, generously unchanged for a couple of decades.  I think the Thai SS retirement income has only been increased once since it was started in 1990's, although of course, the first pensions only started being payable in the late 2000s.  Even so a long time to go without a raise.  Odd that Thai workers and unions (such as they are) don't protest about that. The French went ballistic just at being made to work till 64 before getting the state pension vs 67 in the UK which no one complained about.

9 hours ago, qualtrough said:

To me that question is asking if have you changed your citizenship.  To which the answer is no, because you have merely acquired another citizenship.  You still are a US citizen and file your income taxes yearly.  Your country of residence probably also hasn't changed if you have been claiming residency in Thailand on your US taxes.  

On 6/22/2023 at 10:16 PM, khongaeng said:

To me that question is asking if have you changed your citizenship.  To which the answer is no, because you have merely acquired another citizenship.  You still are a US citizen and file your income taxes yearly.  Your country of residence probably also hasn't changed if you have been claiming residency in Thailand on your US taxes.  

That seems a reasonable interpretation and the one I will go with.  There has been no change in my US citizenship nor my residence. Thank you for your reply.

anyone has attended interview @ moi this month my colleague is waiting for interview call he has applied since 2021 July, but still there is no call for interview, when he called to the MOi office they said please wait you maybe in this year.

1 hour ago, david143 said:

anyone has attended interview @ moi this month my colleague is waiting for interview call he has applied since 2021 July, but still there is no call for interview, when he called to the MOi office they said please wait you maybe in this year.

No MOI interview as of 26-June-2023.

Can expect soon.

Good Luck.

4 hours ago, Marcati said:

Still no signatures from the Palace yet either ????

You will not be informed if HMK has signed your application or not.

You will be called for oath.

Getting invited for oath means your application has been counter-signed by His Excellency.

On 6/27/2023 at 11:05 AM, david143 said:

What phone number would one call to check on this? I applied in June '21. It would be interesting to see what they say about a possible time frame for the MOI interview.

3 minutes ago, ecline said:

What phone number would one call to check on this? I applied in June '21. It would be interesting to see what they say about a possible time frame for the MOI interview.

MOI Nationality Section

On 7/1/2023 at 6:16 PM, DrJoy said:

You will not be informed if HMK has signed your application or not.

You will be called for oath.

Getting invited for oath means your application has been counter-signed by His Excellency.

I was told by my officer on the phone that HMK had signed but, anyway, as you say, you will only be called for the oath, if he has signed.  Later on the officer gave me a colour photocopy of the letter signed by HMK.

2 minutes ago, Arkady said:

I was told by my officer on the phone that HMK had signed but, anyway, as you say, you will only be called for the oath, if he has signed.  Later on the officer gave me a colour photocopy of the letter signed by HMK.

can we see how it looks like

Hi guys,

Hope you are all doing well. I am posting here a simple question.

I have been working here for 8+ years and I am in a few years 40 years old. There are 'only' ~ 3500 people of my country in Thailand. 

What would be the best advisable things to do.

Asking for PR or citizenship.

Thanks in advance :)

15 minutes ago, JayLeno said:

I have been working here for 8+ years and I am in a few years 40 years old. There are 'only' ~ 3500 people of my country in Thailand. 

What would be the best advisable things to do.

Asking for PR or citizenship

If married to a Thai lady , you can directly apply for Thai citizenship.

If unmarried or married to a Non Thai lady , you need to apply for PR first 

3 yrs of tax payments required + a bunch of company documents

Archived