Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/17/2023 at 11:13 PM, moochai87 said:

This question is not intended to spark a political decision, so please don't.

Do you think the recent elections and the current lame duck period, will put everything on hold until the new government is in place - citizenship application wise?

Our Special Branch case officer told us that the initial police investigation into my application would be delayed. He did not comment on how those further along in the process might be impacted.

1 hour ago, david143 said:

Thanks David.

Here is your answer @moochai87

Do you think the recent elections and the current lame duck period, will put everything on hold until the new government is in place-

Citizenship granted and announced as usual, irrespective of elections/ Government.

On 5/17/2023 at 11:13 PM, moochai87 said:

This question is not intended to spark a political decision, so please don't.

Do you think the recent elections and the current lame duck period, will put everything on hold until the new government is in place - citizenship application wise?

It's probably unlikely that the minister will sign any approvals during the caretaker phase, particularly after being accused of approving the Chinese gambling den owner/ drug dealer's citizenship (even though that one was approved by his predecessor and Anuphong only signed the order to publish it in the RG).  He might not approve any more RG announcements either, assuming there are more still pending.  Note that he signed the list that has just been published in the RG on 6 February but it took over three months to get published.

I don't see any reason why MOI interviews will not be scheduled or why any other part of the process should be put on hold.  A friend was told by an MOI insider that the next interviews will be conducted next month.

Some of you may be aware from other threads that I am a shooting sports enthusiast. I was in Wang Burapha, the Bangkok gunshop area in China Town, the other day to go to a repair shop and talked to some gunshop owners I know.  The buzz was that a new head of the Bangkok licensing office has been making it  a lot more difficult to apply for permits since before the election.  One of his new measures is said to be a total ban on new permits for anyone that the new bossman in his enlightened view considers a foreigner.  In addition to actual foreigners that includes naturalised Thais and any born Thai with less than two Thai parents. I suspect this would also apply to someone like my son who was born to two Thai parents but has a foreign surname and a father with a foreign name in his tabien baan which is a tell tale sign of foreign blood.

I know there are many varied opinions about gun ownership rights and I don't want to start a pro and anti gun digression here.  My point is that whatever laws are put in place by parliament should be applied equally to all Thais without discrimination based on race or religion, as mandated by the constitution.  A particularly shocking aspect of this is that gun licensing is administered nationwide by DOPA which also also administers Thai citizenship.  An agent who makes a living from getting gun permits for people in Bangkok confirmed to me that all this was true and that one of her clients who is a look krung was rejected on grounds of foreign blood.  To me this mindset is no different from the Gestapo hunting down people with one sixteenth Jewish blood to be stripped of citizenship and marked down for the death chambers. If DOPA is embarking on this type of course, who knows where it may lead? That this disgusting type of racism emanates from the Interior Ministry is very concerning for the prospects of my son's future life in Thailand. Already he faces unconstitutional discrimination from the military which mandates him to undergo conscription but bans him from being promoted above the rank of private because he has a Thai father who was not Thai from birth (curiously a foreign mother is no problem).

2 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Some of you may be aware from other threads that I am a shooting sports enthusiast. I was in Wang Burapha, the Bangkok gunshop area in China Town, the other day to go to a repair shop and talked to some gunshop owners I know.  The buzz was that a new head of the Bangkok licensing office has been making it  a lot more difficult to apply for permits since before the election.  One of his new measures is said to be a total ban on new permits for anyone that the new bossman in his enlightened view considers a foreigner.  In addition to actual foreigners that includes naturalised Thais and any born Thai with less than two Thai parents. I suspect this would also apply to someone like my son who was born to two Thai parents but has a foreign surname and a father with a foreign name in his tabien baan which is a tell tale sign of foreign blood.

I know there are many varied opinions about gun ownership rights and I don't want to start a pro and anti gun digression here.  My point is that whatever laws are put in place by parliament should be applied equally to all Thais without discrimination based on race or religion, as mandated by the constitution.  A particularly shocking aspect of this is that gun licensing is administered nationwide by DOPA which also also administers Thai citizenship.  An agent who makes a living from getting gun permits for people in Bangkok confirmed to me that all this was true and that one of her clients who is a look krung was rejected on grounds of foreign blood.  To me this mindset is no different from the Gestapo hunting down people with one sixteenth Jewish blood to be stripped of citizenship and marked down for the death chambers. If DOPA is embarking on this type of course, who knows where it may lead. That this disgusting type of racism emanates from the Interior Ministry is very concerning for the prospects of my son's future life in Thailand. Already he faces unconstitutional discrimination from the military which mandates him to undergo conscription but bans him from being promoted above the rank of private because he has a Thai father who was not Thai from birth (curiously a foreign mother is no problem).

and i was thinking to apply for permit,
any idea how mych it cost and how to get it,

4 hours ago, david143 said:

and i was thinking to apply for permit,
any idea how mych it cost and how to get it,

Normally the application fees for a Por. 3 are approximately 3.5k thb; however, as of now, the shops are refusing to even apply for foreigners and or foreigners who have obtained Thai Citizenship, so for the time being you can't do anything.

4 minutes ago, Marcati said:

Normally the application fees for a Por. 3 are approximately 3.5k thb; however, as of now, the shops are refusing to even apply for foreigners and or foreigners who have obtained Thai Citizenship, so for the time being you can't do anything.

Thanks for details

On 5/26/2023 at 10:26 AM, Arkady said:

To me this mindset is no different from the Gestapo hunting down people with one sixteenth Jewish blood to be stripped of citizenship and marked down for the death chambers. If DOPA is embarking on this type of course, who knows where it may lead? That this disgusting type of racism emanates from the Interior Ministry is very concerning for the prospects of my son's future life in Thailand. Already he faces unconstitutional discrimination from the military which mandates him to undergo conscription but bans him from being promoted above the rank of private because he has a Thai father who was not Thai from birth (curiously a foreign mother is no problem).

Indeed, it's very annoying. The question is, 'what can we do about it'?

Personally, when things like this happen to me, for example being told I am not a real Thai and not getting the Thai price at my local golf course, my first reaction to attack, then after a  while just accept it. 

Perhaps we could contact certain politicians, especially ones who are influential or active on social media. 

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Indeed, it's very annoying. The question is, 'what can we do about it'?

Personally, when things like this happen to me, for example being told I am not a real Thai and not getting the Thai price at my local golf course, my first reaction to attack, then after a  while just accept it. 

Perhaps we could contact certain politicians, especially ones who are influential or active on social media. 

Most Thais view naturalised Thais as still foreign but with a strange kind of PR status and see it as entirely logical to deny them privileges as citizens. So maybe hard to gain traction. But racial discrimination against look krung, who are Thai from birth and eligible for all public office (except in the military) might gain more sympathy. 

There used to be a lot more discrimination against second generation immigrants but it has gone out of fashion since the descendants of Chinese immigrants gradually took over the entire bureaucracy and politics as well as business. I recall that there was s challenge to Banharn’s premiership because the constitution at the time prohibited citizens whose fathers were not born in Thailand from being PM unless they graduated from Por 6.. Banharn’s father came from China and he, himself only made it to Por 4 but his legal team got him off in the constitutional court by arguing that Por 4 at that time was the end of primary school as they added two more years at the bottom later. The next constitution required MPs Yo have a bachelor’s degree regardless of whether their parents came from China or not. Before the next election Banharn miraculously produced a bachelor’s degree from Ramkhamhaeng and a masters degree in politics with a dissertation that quoted extensively from English and French sources, neither of which languages Banharn could speak more than few words 555..

8 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Banharn miraculously produced a bachelor’s degree from Ramkhamhaeng and a masters degree in politics with a dissertation that quoted extensively from English and French sources, neither of which languages Banharn could speak more than few words 555..

He was not known for his honesty/integrity. I was actually offered a Master's from there for 50k baht many years ago. 

On 5/26/2023 at 10:26 AM, Arkady said:

One of his new measures is said to be a total ban on new permits for anyone that the new bossman in his enlightened view considers a foreigner. 

One thing we can do is change our name to a Thai sounding name. I guess this would help, unless a  photo is required. I am thinking of doing this after I get a new UK passport, which will be useful for 10 years.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

One thing we can do is change our name to a Thai sounding name. I guess this would help, unless a  photo is required. I am thinking of doing this after I get a new UK passport, which will be useful for 10 years.

Sure but you will have to change your name in the UK to the Thai name by deed poll, if you want to renew the British passport after 10 years, as they no longer different names in UK and foreign passport which they check.

Funnily enough in the previous purge against deemed foreign applicants for gun permits after the Chinese gang tried to rob a gunshop in China Town, the criteria of foreigness was a foreign surname. I was actually told by the staff to take a Thai name and I would be approved. But it is more sinister this with the added sniffing out of foreign blood in look krungs.

6 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Sure but you will have to change your name in the UK to the Thai name by deed poll, if you want to renew the British passport after 10 years, as they no longer different names in UK and foreign passport which they check.

I wonder if I could change my name back to the original one after 10 years.

3 hours ago, Arkady said:

Funnily enough in the previous purge against deemed foreign applicants for gun permits after the Chinese gang tried to rob a gunshop in China Town, the criteria of foreigness was a foreign surname. I was actually told by the staff to take a Thai name and I would be approved. But it is more sinister this with the added sniffing out of foreign blood in look krungs.

When I applied for citizenship, I was asked to choose a Thai name, first name and surname. Can't you just use this?

9 hours ago, onthemoon said:

When I applied for citizenship, I was asked to choose a Thai name, first name and surname. Can't you just use this?

No, because you never used it for the final stages of the process. 

On 5/28/2023 at 4:18 AM, Dogmatix said:

Most Thais view naturalised Thais as still foreign but with a strange kind of PR status and see it as entirely logical to deny them privileges as citizens

Where ever I have been asked about my Nationality be it in parks, museums etc. I always get the Thai rate with my ID card.

After I show them my ID card no questions asked, no arguments.

I am yet to encounter any racial discrimination as you claim.

YMMV

12 hours ago, onthemoon said:

You probably could but you would have to check with the district that surname is still available, if you didn't use when you got your ID card.  They explained to me that it is reserved until you get your Thai citizenship and I think 3-6 months after that.  For Brits taking a foreign name now means they have to change their name by deed poll in the UK to the Thai name and renew the Brit passport in that name, two different names are no longer allowed, if you want a Brit passport.  Some people like the idea of a new identity but it never appealed to me.

2 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Where ever I have been asked about my Nationality be it in parks, museums etc. I always get the Thai rate with my ID card.

After I show them my ID card no questions asked, no arguments.

I am yet to encounter any racial discrimination as you claim.

YMMV

You are lucky then.  I have  also had no problems with national parks and other government venues but have encountered the not Thai enough syndrome on a number of occasions.  It has happened at a of couple private sector venues I wanted to take my son too. Of course the government licensing office mentioned above and the BTS and I private club I wanted to join that had dual pricing.

4 hours ago, Arkady said:

You probably could but you would have to check with the district that surname is still available, if you didn't use when you got your ID card.  They explained to me that it is reserved until you get your Thai citizenship and I think 3-6 months after that.  For Brits taking a foreign name now means they have to change their name by deed poll in the UK to the Thai name and renew the Brit passport in that name, two different names are no longer allowed, if you want a Brit passport.  Some people like the idea of a new identity but it never appealed to me.

Oh, I thought this name is now mine forever. I wasn't aware that they cancel it if I don't apply for documents under this name... Thanks for the heads-up.

23 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Oh, I thought this name is now mine forever. I wasn't aware that they cancel it if I don't apply for documents under this name... Thanks for the heads-up.

Believe it's a use it or lose situation but, if your choice of surname was sufficiently bizarre, it will probably be still available.

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

Believe it's a use it or lose situation but, if your choice of surname was sufficiently bizarre, it will probably be still available.

555 No, it's not bizarre. It's a slight variation of an existing surname and I was surprised it didn't exist yet. Well, I am currently not planning of ever using it, but who knows what the future will bring.

Archived