Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Here is a banking question: As a foreigner working in Thailand, I can "repatriate earnings", i.e. send (part of) my salary back to my own account in my home country. Once I get Thai citizenship, how would I transfer money out?

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Here is a banking question: As a foreigner working in Thailand, I can "repatriate earnings", i.e. send (part of) my salary back to my own account in my home country. Once I get Thai citizenship, how would I transfer money out?

I send money overseas with my bank app never a issue especially if you send it to your own account.

Really shouldn't be any different citizen or foreigner 

3 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

I send money overseas with my bank app never a issue especially if you send it to your own account.

Really shouldn't be any different citizen or foreigner 

Does your bank know you are a Thai citizen?

4 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Does your bank know you are a Thai citizen?

yes ive changed all my details to thai .  BTW changing at some banks is a pia but not terrible .   One bank i closed the account all the rest just changed my details .

50 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

How are Thai citizen barred from transferring money overseas? 

1 hour ago, yankee99 said:

yes ive changed all my details to thai .  BTW changing at some banks is a pia but not terrible .   One bank i closed the account all the rest just changed my details .

Thanks. So there is no problem.

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

How are Thai citizen barred from transferring money overseas? 

Yeah, that's what I want to know from my bank. "Cannot transfer to own account overseas", the error message says. I hope it is just a software bug.

8 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Yeah, that's what I want to know from my bank. "Cannot transfer to own account overseas", the error message says. I hope it is just a software bug.

As far as the bank is concerned, it's not 'own account' you are transferring overseas to another bank, the bank would consider this 'others account' even if you have accounts from multiple bank, transferring between them is done under 'other accounts' in most banking apps, if there are options for you to select as 'own accounts' it would be in error if you're transferring to another bank or country even

7 minutes ago, digbeth said:

As far as the bank is concerned, it's not 'own account' you are transferring overseas to another bank, the bank would consider this 'others account' even if you have accounts from multiple bank, transferring between them is done under 'other accounts' in most banking apps, if there are options for you to select as 'own accounts' it would be in error if you're transferring to another bank or country even

Tell this to the software guys. The software asks for my (sender's) relationship to the recipient, and I have the choice of own, family, friend or business. This is my own account at the overseas bank. A month or two ago it worked when I just chose "family" but they have closed that "loophole" now and actually compare the account names.

1 hour ago, onthemoon said:

Tell this to the software guys. The software asks for my (sender's) relationship to the recipient, and I have the choice of own, family, friend or business. This is my own account at the overseas bank. A month or two ago it worked when I just chose "family" but they have closed that "loophole" now and actually compare the account names.

The app needs to be setup for international transfer and certain documents need to be submitted. If you havent went through this process its not going to work.  Totally different from the way we do domestic transfers here where there is no setup involved 

12 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

The app needs to be setup for international transfer and certain documents need to be submitted. If you havent went through this process its not going to work.  Totally different from the way we do domestic transfers here where there is no setup involved 

I transferred with the app many times without problems. It started to act up two months ago, but it still worked if I just set relationship to family. Now it does not work at all anymore, just says "you cannot transfer to your own account overseas".

So, yes, all is set up for international transfer. Call center only said I cannot transfer because I use my pink ID card and therefore the system thinks I am Thai. I changed it to my passport, and now it works again without problem.

Not need any documentation if you do it through the app. I used ktb app twice last year to send money to an Australian bank account ????

3 hours ago, onthemoon said:

It's not, I also had this error /issue about not able to send money to my own name to my Australian bank account through the ktb app, so the way I did it was to send the amount to my wife's account in Australia, that way it worked 

52 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

I transferred with the app many times without problems. It started to act up two months ago, but it still worked if I just set relationship to family. Now it does not work at all anymore, just says "you cannot transfer to your own account overseas".

So, yes, all is set up for international transfer. Call center only said I cannot transfer because I use my pink ID card and therefore the system thinks I am Thai. I changed it to my passport, and now it works again without problem.

Didn't know that by using the pink ID when opened the account will cause that error. 

Thanks for that info! ️ 

I will try to change it to my passport if I ever send money overseas again OR stick to sending the amount to my wife's Australian bank account 

1 hour ago, walailak said:

Not need any documentation if you do it through the app. I used ktb app twice last year to send money to an Australian bank account ????

Do you mean KTB? And I understand you are registered at the bank with your Thai ID or pink ID, not with your foreign passport.

1 hour ago, walailak said:

Didn't know that by using the pink ID when opened the account will cause that error. 

Thanks for that info! ️ 

I will try to change it to my passport if I ever send money overseas again OR stick to sending the amount to my wife's Australian bank account 

No, I am not sure that this is the new law. I think this is a bug in the Kbank software. That's why I asked for experiences with other banks here.

4 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Do you mean KTB? And I understand you are registered at the bank with your Thai ID or pink ID, not with your foreign passport.

Yes Krungthai bank, I used the App and yes its registered with my pink id 13 digit number 

4 hours ago, onthemoon said:

Its correct.

Thais cannot transfer to their own account abroad.

This is the rule set by B.O.T , not an error.

16 hours ago, DrJoy said:

One time I had to apply for a Japanese Business Visa on my non Thai PP.

I truthfully declared my Thai citizenship.

That time the vfs did not say anything, next day got a call from the Embassy that they require my Thai citizenship certificate.

I had to visit the Embassy again and present my original Thai citz certificate, they wouldn't even look at ratcha kitcha.

What would you or your wife do in such a situation?

or what will any female do in this situation?

Fair enough. Some people don't get it.

Sounds like the equivalent of Russian immigration getting the jewelers magnifying glasses out to closely inspect her passport as we crossed the border there once. Luckily the passports were of good quality!

UOB asked my wife for a copy of her work permit despite having a valid ID card but we waited for the penny to drop and it eventually did. For Thailand stuff, its a copy of the RG for women. I would have given them to call special branch if there were issues so they could have the law explained to them but things never have gotten to that stage.

5 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

No, I am not sure that this is the new law. I think this is a bug in the Kbank software. That's why I asked for experiences with other banks here.

Not sure if it's a new law but the KTB app didn't allow me to send money to myself, but rather to my beautiful wife's Australian bank account...... 

Next time if I need to send money, I will try to change the account details (change registered ID to passport) and see if that goes through. 

Also the second time I send money home I used my wife's KTB app to send to my Australian bank account and that also worked!!

as a Thai she coulnt send money to herself (same name you cannot transfer to your own account overseas) which is a very silly, "makes no sense" law of the bank of Thailand ????

11 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

Its correct.

Thais cannot transfer to their own account abroad.

This is the rule set by B.O.T , not an error.

I thought so. The software sees the 13-digit number and mistakenly "thinks" that I am Thai. The software people may have never heard of foreigners having 13-digit ID numbers.

But now my other question comes up again: How do you trnasfer money home once you have your Thai citizenship?

@onthemoon I thought so. The software sees the 13-digit number and mistakenly "thinks" that I am Thai. The software people may have never heard of foreigners having 13-digit ID numbers.

- Correct

But now my other question comes up again: How do you transfer money home once you have your Thai citizenship?

In my case ,my Thai wife transfers to my account abroad- never a problem

If you are unmarried or have a non Thai wife- Not sure but did you try Western Union ?

On 8/15/2023 at 2:43 AM, khongaeng said:

Taxes, accounting fees, visas, WPs and everything included will cost you about 4000 EUR per year to open and maintain a company (based on my own experience)

Mind breaking it down to specific items?

10 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

@onthemoon I thought so. The software sees the 13-digit number and mistakenly "thinks" that I am Thai. The software people may have never heard of foreigners having 13-digit ID numbers.

- Correct

But now my other question comes up again: How do you transfer money home once you have your Thai citizenship?

In my case ,my Thai wife transfers to my account abroad- never a problem

If you are unmarried or have a non Thai wife- Not sure but did you try Western Union ?

I don't have anybody here who has an account in my country, and I don't want to transfer to my mother or anybody else. I want to transfer to my own account, and I am certainly not willing to pay Western Union charges. Kbank charges THB 100 for transfer fee, and the full amount in euros without deduction arrives in my account there. ????

17 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

I don't have anybody here who has an account in my country, and I don't want to transfer to my mother or anybody else. I want to transfer to my own account, and I am certainly not willing to pay Western Union charges. Kbank charges THB 100 for transfer fee, and the full amount in euros without deduction arrives in my account there. ????

I was considering opening an Interactive Brokers account, but reading these posts, it makes me wonder whether I will be able to transfer money to an IB account from my Thai bank accounts. All my funds are located in Thailand and I don't have any overseas bank accounts. I did not realize that transferring money overseas as a Thai citizen would be an issue.  

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

I was considering opening an Interactive Brokers account, but reading these posts, it makes me wonder whether I will be able to transfer money to an IB account from my Thai bank accounts. All my funds are located in Thailand and I don't have any overseas bank accounts. I did not realize that transferring money overseas as a Thai citizen would be an issue.  

It shouldn't be a issue i transfer to vanguard and citibank all the time .  

You can just walk in the bank and do a swift transfer something like 400 baht with bangkok bank.  Online seems to be where some are having issues .

It shouldn't be a issue i transfer to vanguard and citibank all the time .  

You can just walk in the bank and do a swift transfer something like 400 baht with bangkok bank.  Online seems to be where some are having issues .

You are a Thai citizen and transfer to an overseas account that is in your own name? If I understand this correctly, that would be great. What do you state as the purpose of transfer?

8 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

You are a Thai citizen and transfer to an overseas account that is in your own name? If I understand this correctly, that would be great. What do you state as the purpose of transfer?

normally travel expenses 

Archived