Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Congratulations on your citizenship, albeit it's now a few years ago!! It's now my turn!!

Now as I'm an English woman, married to Thai husband for seven years this year and on my fourth non-imm o visa extention - I can now start this process!!

So... Does anyone have any details or experience of having done this as a woman - heard it's easier - less finanicials to show... husband only needs to show income of 15,000 baht?... True?

There was a lady on here years ago that I spoke to about this but I've lost touch with her... SK or something was her user name... She'd done it I think!

I believe my first step will be visiting Special Branch in Bangkok to get application form and details of what papers they require right? Anyone have the address, contact info?

Thanking you all in advance!

Miriam in Hua Hin

Obviously I haven't applied as a foreign wife, myself, but, yes, it is easier. Husband only needs to show evidence of income of 15k and only for one year, not 3 years. This can be own business, sole proprietorship etc. It doesn't need to be a formal job. No need to sing and your interview will quite short, mainly focusing on your husband. You don't need to be approved by the King or take the oath of allegiance which saves two steps in the timeline but it can still take several years.

Go to Special Branch at National Police HQ, Patumwan, near Siam Square. It is building 24 at the back of the compound. As for directions from the guards or anyone else there. They all know where foreigners have to go to apply for citizenship. For foreign wives it is a different office in building 24, upstairs I think. You really have to go there in person with your husband to get the most out of it, as they will tell you much more face to face, if they think you are serious about applying. Take all your and your husband's relevant documents like passport, ID card, tabien baan, any evidence of his income with you, as they like to look at the docs and give you an opinion.

Don't be surprised if Special Branch in Bkk advises you and your husband to try to get on a tabien baan in Bangkok to avoid having to apply to Special Branch provincial HQ in Prachuab Khiri Khan who probably have no clue how to submit applications and couldn't care less. Bangkok has the only dedicated Special Branch unit for citizenship applications but the law says you have to apply in the province where you reside. I have come across several people who accepted their advice to 'move' to Bangkok and simply moved back to their province when they got their ID cards. You can take a view on whether Prachuab has a good record on processing applications by visiting them after talking to Bkk. Whatever you decide on this, you will also need to get a yellow tabien baan for ;yourself to qualify. Good luck.

Congratulations on your citizenship, albeit it's now a few years ago!! It's now my turn!!

Now as I'm an English woman, married to Thai husband for seven years this year and on my fourth non-imm o visa extention - I can now start this process!!

So... Does anyone have any details or experience of having done this as a woman - heard it's easier - less finanicials to show... husband only needs to show income of 15,000 baht?... True?

There was a lady on here years ago that I spoke to about this but I've lost touch with her... SK or something was her user name... She'd done it I think!

I believe my first step will be visiting Special Branch in Bangkok to get application form and details of what papers they require right? Anyone have the address, contact info?

Thanking you all in advance!

Miriam in Hua Hin

Obviously I haven't applied as a foreign wife, myself, but, yes, it is easier. Husband only needs to show evidence of income of 15k and only for one year, not 3 years. This can be own business, sole proprietorship etc. It doesn't need to be a formal job. No need to sing and your interview will quite short, mainly focusing on your husband. You don't need to be approved by the King or take the oath of allegiance which saves two steps in the timeline but it can still take several years.

Go to Special Branch at National Police HQ, Patumwan, near Siam Square. It is building 24 at the back of the compound. As for directions from the guards or anyone else there. They all know where foreigners have to go to apply for citizenship. For foreign wives it is a different office in building 24, upstairs I think. You really have to go there in person with your husband to get the most out of it, as they will tell you much more face to face, if they think you are serious about applying. Take all your and your husband's relevant documents like passport, ID card, tabien baan, any evidence of his income with you, as they like to look at the docs and give you an opinion.

Don't be surprised if Special Branch in Bkk advises you and your husband to try to get on a tabien baan in Bangkok to avoid having to apply to Special Branch provincial HQ in Prachuab Khiri Khan who probably have no clue how to submit applications and couldn't care less. Bangkok has the only dedicated Special Branch unit for citizenship applications but the law says you have to apply in the province where you reside. I have come across several people who accepted their advice to 'move' to Bangkok and simply moved back to their province when they got their ID cards. You can take a view on whether Prachuab has a good record on processing applications by visiting them after talking to Bkk. Whatever you decide on this, you will also need to get a yellow tabien baan for ;yourself to qualify. Good luck.

Good advice - I also moved to a Bangkok tabien bahn when I applied. I've not heard of anyone successfully navigating the process upcountry, where the officials probably don't know the rules, and would make a time-wasting mess of an application.

Good advice - I also moved to a Bangkok tabien bahn when I applied. I've not heard of anyone successfully navigating the process upcountry, where the officials probably don't know the rules, and would make a time-wasting mess of an application.

In most cases it is likely to be easier to move to a Bkk tabien baan. Even the officials in Bkk can mess up applications - they did with mine and I had the devil of a job getting it back on the right track. So I wouldn't want to take my chances with the ones in the provinces. Interestingly, however, the list of 369 women with Thai husbands who were approved in November 2014 were mainly domiciled in the provinces, often poorer provinces like Chainat etc. In addition, many were Burmese, Vietnamese, Cambodian and Lao, suggesting they might have been labourers from neighbouring countries working under the MOUs who had been blocked by the bureaucrats until the military government came along. Compare this with the usual announcements of women with Thai husbands approved for Thai nationality. Overwhelmingly they are Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean or Indian Subcontinentals residing in Bangkok. The interior minister's statement at the time suggested that most of this batch of 369 had been unfairly treated and had been waiting for an inordinate amount of time. Anyway I suspect that was a one off that doesn't change anything. I doubt we will see another large batch of wives from the provinces approved for a long time.

I just received a formal letter from Special Branch confirming that I have the requisite number of points and that all criminal checks have been completed and that everything has now been forwarded to the Ministry of the Interior. It also contains a flow chart explaining the process from now on with the Ministry of the Interior. My question is can anyone let me know how long it took them from the point I'm now at to get the interview with the Ministry (I assume that timings might differ quite widely, but more tales from recent applications would be useful). Thanks for your help.

I just received a formal letter from Special Branch confirming that I have the requisite number of points and that all criminal checks have been completed and that everything has now been forwarded to the Ministry of the Interior. It also contains a flow chart explaining the process from now on with the Ministry of the Interior. My question is can anyone let me know how long it took them from the point I'm now at to get the interview with the Ministry (I assume that timings might differ quite widely, but more tales from recent applications would be useful). Thanks for your help.

As you point out, timing differs greatly from case to case. My case was passed to the MOI in 2012 and I was first interviewed by the screening committee in 2014. My case was far from the norm at that time. Most people wait much longer. 3 to 5 years or more.

Having said that, things appear to have improved considerably since the army took over. Interviews by the screening committee are being held more frequently and meetings of the next committee are also being held much more often than in the past (yes, your case will have to go through another committee (your presence is not required), assuming you pass the screening committee interview).

I would like to believe that with the MOI clearing the backlog as they have been doing, the whole process will be much faster than in the past. Good luck.

PS: It would be interesting to see the flowchart. I was not given anything like that and had to do all follow ups myself.

It also contains a flow chart explaining the process from now on with the Ministry of the Interior.

I would love to see a scan of it. Possible for you to post it on here?

You can see it on www.bora.dopa.go.th under section 10.

Oasis

Not sure which link you are referring to, but I have not been able to find it yet. Also there seems to have been a shake of of the groups, divisions and offices since I last visited.

Edited by GarryP

It also contains a flow chart explaining the process from now on with the Ministry of the Interior.

I would love to see a scan of it. Possible for you to post it on here?

Oasis

Not sure which link you are referring to, but I have not been able to find it yet. Also there seems to have been a shake of of the groups, divisions and offices since I last visited.

Click on the link that shows a girl picking her Thai ID and House registration then you will be through to Thai language citizenship laws and regulations, then click on section 10 to see the updated flow chart. www.bora.dopa.go.th/nationclinic/

Oasis

Edited by Oasis
  • Like 2

Oasis

Click on the link that shows a girl picking her Thai ID and House registration then you will be through to Thai language citizenship laws and regulations, then click on section 10 to see the updated flow chart. www.bora.dopa.go.th/nationclinic/

Oasis

Interesting that photo - the girl in it is Ms Fongchan (forget her surname).

She benefited from changes in the law back in 2010 I believe which opened up Thai nationality by birth to those born in thailans between 1971 and 1992 regardless of the visa held by their parents.

I believe the authorities fought her attempts to get what was rightfully hers despite the legislation saying otherwise. In the end she won of course.

And now they are using her photo!

Edited by ubonjoe
snipped excess quotes only 4 can be done
  • Like 1

As mentioned on the previous page, my application was submitted to MOI in October 2012 and I was interviewed in the second half of 2014. My case was far from normal though. When I visited MOI, the officers were talking about 4 or 5 years. However, everything seems to have sped up and I understand that they are clearing up the backlog.

• Like 2

Oasis

Oasis

Interesting that photo - the girl in it is Ms Fongchan (forget her surname).

She benefited from changes in the law back in 2010 I believe which opened up Thai nationality by birth to those born in thailans between 1971 and 1992 regardless of the visa held by their parents.

I believe the authorities fought her attempts to get what was rightfully hers despite the legislation saying otherwise. In the end she won of course.

And now they are using her photo!

That's funny. Fongchan, who was born in Thailand to American missionary parents who weren't both PRs, fought for her Thai nationality for several years with help from lawyers and NGOs but was stonewalled by DOPA every inch of the way. I think this was because she wasn't a member of any of the minority groups that were covered by various cabinet resolutions. AFAIK she even petitioned to be considered under Section 11.1 "has rendered distinguished service to Thailand or has done acts to the benefit of official service, which is deemed suitable by the Minister." based on her work helping her father and brother with a dictionary for an aboriginal Thai tribe etc. But she was turned down hard by the ministry. Luckily for her the 2012 amendments to the Nationality Act amalgamated the various cabinet resolutions relating to minorities born in Thailand to alien parents without PR between 1972 and 1992 without specifying the minorities any more. So bingo, there were was no longer any justifiable reason to deny Fonchan's application and she became the first lucky person to get her ID card under the 2012 amendments.

She is clearly a great poster child for DOPA. She speaks Thai like a native, very respectful in the Thai style, a Thammasat graduate, photogenic and even looks Thai from a distance.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how long it take to get the interview by the Committee after the submission to the MOI?. I am waiting for 3 years now and still have not get any call from MOI yet. Thank you!

I waited 3 years for interview in 2013 but was told I was lucky as many were waiting 4-5 years. If you have been waiting 3 years, it might be time to pay a call on the MoI at Lamlukka to ask how it's going. Nothing to lose.

• Like 2

Before it was in snazzy colour there used to be time lines on this chart which I didn't see in at a quick glance in this version. The time for doing all the vetting after the application is accepted by SB and forwarding to the MoI was 90 days. (In my case they managed that.) Then it ominously said "No time limit" for the minister's approval. LOL.

• Like 1

Went out there today ( long trip ), the lady I met was so lovely and apologetic. Basically in queue for 5 years, and should be interviewed before end of this year.

She said her unit is a new one, was just set up by the minister to clear the back log, and looking around, they had a lot of back log.

So guys.... If want it to go fast, don't do what I did and bother them as they are struggling to clear their back log.

Kind thanks to the lovely MOI lady

• Like 2

Thanks for all the info.

My problem here is that the Songkhla Police station that I submitted my documents refused to do anything about my application.

The guy who took my documents has been sitting on it for 3 years and every time I call him, the reply is the same that my documents is at the Provincial Office waiting for them to check and come back to him.

Any advise here please? Thank you.

Hi - Its my first time posting on a blog, so please do bear with me

I was called for interview at Lamlukka (Pathumthani) by the committee last March 2015 and it seemed everything went well. I understand that the next step is "Interior Minister approval"? Am I correct? If yes, what is the latest timeline for the approval (from the date of interview)?

If not, what is the next step and what is the latest timeline of each subsequent stage?

Another question, at which step I have to return the work permit to authorities?

Can anyone clarify the next steps in the process after approval by the large committee? I understand the steps involved but have received conflicting information about the order of those steps (even officials were contradicting each other). I do, however, understand that the timeline between steps is no longer what it used to be, i.e. it is now much faster.

Following Interview by the committee at the Interior Ministry, mine went like this:

1) Interior Minister approval, which was confirmed by letter notification of approval posted to my home address

2) Notification of HMK approval (no letter this time - I was told verbally by SB)

3) I was asked to take the oath at Special Branch

4) My name was published on a list signed by the Interior Minister. This list was presented to me by Special Branch as a book along with various other unrelated regulations that had been approved that day
5) Armed with this book of regulations, I could immediately get my certificate of naturalisation issued by SB

To Brastgreek, How long did you wait for the interview at Lamlukka after your application was submitted to the MOI? I suggested that you keep everything until you get the Thai ID Card and Thai Passport as my mother and sister who got Thai Citizens were asked to show these documents such as Current Passport, Thai Alien Resident Documents and workpermit to the authorities when they applied for Thai ID Card, Driver License and Thai Passport or change the data in Thai Bank etc. I also suggested you to keep the copy incase you might need them.

I was called for interview at Lamlukka (Pathumthani) by the committee last March 2015 and it seemed everything went well. I understand that the next step is "Interior Minister approval"? Am I correct? If yes, what is the latest timeline for the approval (from the date of interview)?

If not, what is the next step and what is the latest timeline of each subsequent stage?

Another question, at which step I have to return the work permit to authorities?

Can anyone clarify the next steps in the process after approval by the large committee? I understand the steps involved but have received conflicting information about the order of those steps (even officials were contradicting each other). I do, however, understand that the timeline between steps is no longer what it used to be, i.e. it is now much faster.

Following Interview by the committee at the Interior Ministry, mine went like this:

1) Interior Minister approval, which was confirmed by letter notification of approval posted to my home address

2) Notification of HMK approval (no letter this time - I was told verbally by SB)

4) My name was published on a list signed by the Interior Minister. This list was presented to me by Special Branch as a book along with various other unrelated regulations that had been approved that day
5) Armed with this book of regulations, I could immediately get my certificate of naturalisation issued by SB
Edited by bakery2012

Thanks for the advise to move my address to Bangkok and submit my application to the SB there.

I did some telephone calls to the SB in Bangkok and seems that this is the best option I have to start my application process.

Will consider having this done soon.

Thanks for advise.

• Like 1

Interesting that the IM committee is in Pathum Thani. I did mine at the IM HQ near the Grand Palace.

Assuming that they approve your application, your next step is a letter from the IM telling you that your application is approved.

I returned my WP, my Residence Certificate and Alien registration Certificate (to the Labour dept, Immigration Bureau and police station respectively) only when I had got my Thai ID card from the Ampher. I did this by presenting my Ampher (who were at first very confused) with my Thai Certificate of Naturalisation. Once I had my ID card, I returned my WP / Residence etc by handing them in to the officers and showing them my Thai ID card, as there seemed to be no administrative process or form for doing this.

Don't even think about trying to cancel your WP, or any of your residence documentation, before you have your ID card, and nationality changed to "Thai" in your tabien bahn. Before then, you have no readily understood proof that you are Thai, even though you are once you have your certificate of naturalisation.

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 1

I don't think there is any need to cancel your WP. You can just let it expire. Your HR dept should be happy with that, as long you present your new ID, tabien baan and naturalisation certificate. You need to return your Residence Cert to Immigration, once you've got a Thai passport or have applied for one. Otherwise you won't be able to travel. Then you have to take your Alien Book to the police station who will send it back to Immigration to close the loop. It only took a few minutes to do each of these things. To get your ID card you need to bring alone the original of your naturalisation certificate with a copy and a copy of the notarised RG announcement that SB will give you. You need another set to change your nationality in your tabien baan too. They can print you a new one in a few seconds, if you don't want crossings out in red ink in it.

Can anyone help me clarify the following.

If you receive notification of HMK approval while being on a 3-4 month job overseas. Is there a time limit on the approval? How long time can you wait from approval till you have to come back and present yourself.

Also. From which date are you a Thai Citizen. From date of approval or date of oath taking or ID CARD issuance or??

Thank you

Maybe a bit OT but I already did a search with zero results.

How can I know if I have to give up my native passport if I achieve Thai citizenship process?

(My native country allow double citizenship)

Thanks

Maybe a bit OT but I already did a search with zero results.

How can I know if I have to give up my native passport if I achieve Thai citizenship process?

(My native country allow double citizenship)

Thanks

When applying you have to sign that you intend that you give up your native nationality and notify your embassy of this, but actually giving it up is not a requirement for gaining Thai nationality. The law does not require it.

• Like 1