Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Why would a successful application mean paying more income tax? For me -- being now free of minimum salary requirements that getting a work permit requires -- it has meant a great savings.

There is a BOI scheme called ROH (Regional Office Headquarters) for multinational companies who keep their main base of operations in Thailand, which comes with some very useful tax incentives for expat employees. Not being an expat means no longer qualifying for the scheme.

The ability to do ad-hoc work or even part-time or online work legally is a huge advantage, of course.

It will take many years from applying till you got Thai ID card. Approx. the process takes 5 - 7 years, so between this time period many things can change.

I think you will find the process has greatly sped up since the military took over. Regulations have now been issued as to how long each step should take. A number of government units have already started to apply time limits in responding to or handling matters. This is supposed to be applied across all civil service units, although some are still only in the stage of drafting time frames before they are approved and applied. This is so that the public is better served and is made aware of how long things should take.

I think that once the backlog is cleared up you will find that the whole process could be only a couple of years. For example, in my case, the screening committee interview was on 30 January (my second due to a screw up), the ministerial committee sat in late March, forget the actual date but believe it was 30 March, and I will take the oath next week. FWIW I applied in June 2012. That seems pretty quick in the scheme of things. I know that the bottomless pit always seemed to be the Ministry of Interior, once they received your documents, and the wait could be years before you were invited to the screening committee interview, but that seems to be a thing of the past now.

Hopefully, things will not return to "business as usual" after elections.

Yes, fingers crossed that things don't return to Business as usual after elections, for recently approved PR like me, who needs to wait 5 years to be able to apply for citizenship. Most probably after the elections now.

If you are married to Thai then there is no need to wait, you can apply right away.

Hi,

I applied for Thai Citizenship in 2008, went for the ministry of interior interview in March 2015 and today (12 October 2015) took the oath at SBI. I now need to wait for ministry of interior to announce my citizenship on Royal Gazette.

My question, how long from Oath ceremony to announcement and issuance of Naturalization certificate?

And once you receive the naturalization certificate from SBI, what specific documents you would have to take to Amphur to make ID card?

FYI, I visited the website of Royal Gazette at www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th and search for plaeng sanchat however the results were mostly notices of foreign women married to Thai. Was there any recent announcements for "Foregin Men" receiving the Thai Citizenship?

Thanks

Brastgreek

• Like 1

Hi,

I applied for Thai Citizenship in 2008, went for the ministry of interior interview in March 2015 and today (12 October 2015) took the oath at SBI. I now need to wait for ministry of interior to announce my citizenship on Royal Gazette.

My question, how long from Oath ceremony to announcement and issuance of Naturalization certificate?

And once you receive the naturalization certificate from SBI, what specific documents you would have to take to Amphur to make ID card?

FYI, I visited the website of Royal Gazette at www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th and search for plaeng sanchat however the results were mostly notices of foreign women married to Thai. Was there any recent announcements for "Foregin Men" receiving the Thai Citizenship?

Thanks

Brastgreek

A few years ago successful application were routinely left in the in-tray of the official who made the final signature. Not sure if that's the case now. So it would seem that when ( let's hope) you do receive a Thai passport, it will have taken you 7yrs minimum.

Hi,

Thanks

Brastgreek

In the past some have had to wait 8 months or more, some more than a year. However, that was before things got shaken up and timelines fixed for certain activities. One of the officers there this morning said it would be 4 to 5 months at the latest when you will be called to receive the documents required for filing at the District Office to get your Thai ID card. That seems about right now things are moving much faster.

I believe they will provide you all the documents you will need, with the exception of the House Registration book in which you will be entered as a resident. In my case, I have a yellow book issued to aliens (Tor Ror 13), so will have to move in to my son's blue House Registration book.

There have been no recent announcements of men receiving Thai citizenship. I check almost weekly.

BTW congratulations.

• Like 2

I might be wrong but this year I havent seen any foreign men being announced on the royal gazette. Is the announcement held once a year? or is it up to the MOI and they announce it when they feel like it?

Hi,

Thanks

Brastgreek

In the past some have had to wait 8 months or more, some more than a year. However, that was before things got shaken up and timelines fixed for certain activities. One of the officers there this morning said it would be 4 to 5 months at the latest when you will be called to receive the documents required for filing at the District Office to get your Thai ID card. That seems about right now things are moving much faster.

I believe they will provide you all the documents you will need, with the exception of the House Registration book in which you will be entered as a resident. In my case, I have a yellow book issued to aliens (Tor Ror 13), so will have to move in to my son's blue House Registration book.

There have been no recent announcements of men receiving Thai citizenship. I check almost weekly.

BTW congratulations.

I might be wrong but this year I havent seen any foreign men being announced on the royal gazette. Is the announcement held once a year? or is it up to the MOI and they announce it when they feel like it?

Hi,

Thanks

Brastgreek

BTW congratulations.

You are not wrong. So far this year there have been no bulk announcements of foreign men gaining citizenship. However, the announcement is not made once a year, it is made when there are names of applicants to announce, usually in batches but sometimes single names. This is what has happened in the case of foreign women. I anticipate one or two announcements being made later this year or early next year for batches of male applicants, based on marriage and PR.

By any change do you or people on this forum know whether these batches are numbered? It seems that the letter, for oath taking I got, mentioned that my application is "Lamndap thi XX"

Does anyone know what was the latest batches of women receiving citizenship's "Lamndap thi XX" was? and When did they applied for their citizenship applications?

You are not wrong. So far this year there have been no bulk announcements of foreign men gaining citizenship. However, the announcement is not made once a year, it is made when there are names of applicants to announce, usually in batches but sometimes single names. This is what has happened in the case of foreign women. I anticipate one or two announcements being made later this year or early next year for batches of male applicants, based on marriage and PR.

Your position was simply the order of the names provided by the MOI to the SB. I was number 22 if I recall correctly. I do not believe this has any bearing on when your name will be published. What delays there may be in publication would probably due to the fact that not all applicants have turned up for the oath. On Monday I was told that there are 3 more names in our batch, one of which will not be coming as they are overseas, but the other two should show soon. Once those two people show, the files will be passed to the forensic investigation division/dept for checking of fingerprints, before being sent to the MOI for announcement the Royal Gazette.

There was one batch prior to ours with 62 or 64 names in it. They will perhaps be announced separately from us. But as that batch was only very recently concluded, there should only be a matter of weeks between announcement of that batch and ours.

One of my friend went for oath in End May or Early June 2015, I am not sure whether he might be one of the 62 or 64 names that you have mentioned below. If that is the case then its been 4-1/2 months to date for him.

Seems to be that process of SBI from oath taking to sending documents to MOI is clear cut, do you know on the inner workings and the process of Ratchakitcha?

Your position was simply the order of the names provided by the MOI to the SB. I was number 22 if I recall correctly. I do not believe this has any bearing on when your name will be published. What delays there may be in publication would probably due to the fact that not all applicants have turned up for the oath. On Monday I was told that there are 3 more names in our batch, one of which will not be coming as they are overseas, but the other two should show soon. Once those two people show, the files will be passed to the forensic investigation division/dept for checking of fingerprints, before being sent to the MOI for announcement the Royal Gazette.

There was one batch prior to ours with 62 or 64 names in it. They will perhaps be announced separately from us. But as that batch was only very recently concluded, there should only be a matter of weeks between announcement of that batch and ours.

Hello! Gentlemen, and congrats on your citizenships.

Now im quite green in this field, so that's why i'll ask here,

I'm a 23 year old Swedish male, married to a 22 year old Thai, and togeather we have 4 months old daugther (She currently just holds Swedish passport but I will fix the birth certificate in time for her to get a Thai citizenship aswell ofcourse),

However, I've been in Thailand on and off for 3-4 years, Currently back in Sweden with the family for a few months, our marriage is yet so far just registrated in Sweden but I will ofcourse fix so it's also valid in Thailand.

I have a dream and that is to obtain a Thai passport for myself before i turn 40 years.

What I wonder is, I read that some say you can apply for citizenship without PR? if it is for Marriage? is that true?

Does that mean all I need to do is to have my NON O marriage extended for 3 years and I need during these years shown an "Taxed" income of 40.000 THB ?

Ive tried reading through this thread but it seems alot of it have changed. so I would like an up to date "How to do list" to accomplish my goal as soon as possible,

My thai is good at speaking level not fluent and my reading and writing level is the same as a 7 year old Thai.

But it is indeed a work in progress,

I will maybe also start to document this journey, from the start to the end.

So main question here, is it possible for me to apply for citizenship without having a PR if im married to my Thai wife? and if so what criteras?

Thank you

Kind regards

Niclas

It took more than 4 year from MOI to interview, review and get it signed and endorsed, how long does it take for PM's office to be sign? Any ideas?

Announcements in the gazette have to be signed off by the PM's office before they can be published. Mine was signed by Suthep (shudder).

It took more than 4 year from MOI to interview, review and get it signed and endorsed, how long does it take for PM's office to be sign? Any ideas?

Announcements in the gazette have to be signed off by the PM's office before they can be published. Mine was signed by Suthep (shudder).

Hopefully somewhere in between December 2015 and January 2016.

Hello! Gentlemen, and congrats on your citizenships.

Now im quite green in this field, so that's why i'll ask here,

I'm a 23 year old Swedish male, married to a 22 year old Thai, and togeather we have 4 months old daugther (She currently just holds Swedish passport but I will fix the birth certificate in time for her to get a Thai citizenship aswell ofcourse),

However, I've been in Thailand on and off for 3-4 years, Currently back in Sweden with the family for a few months, our marriage is yet so far just registrated in Sweden but I will ofcourse fix so it's also valid in Thailand.

I have a dream and that is to obtain a Thai passport for myself before i turn 40 years.

What I wonder is, I read that some say you can apply for citizenship without PR? if it is for Marriage? is that true?

Does that mean all I need to do is to have my NON O marriage extended for 3 years and I need during these years shown an "Taxed" income of 40.000 THB ?

Ive tried reading through this thread but it seems alot of it have changed. so I would like an up to date "How to do list" to accomplish my goal as soon as possible,

My thai is good at speaking level not fluent and my reading and writing level is the same as a 7 year old Thai.

But it is indeed a work in progress,

I will maybe also start to document this journey, from the start to the end.

So main question here, is it possible for me to apply for citizenship without having a PR if im married to my Thai wife? and if so what criteras?

Thank you

Kind regards

Niclas

You are already qualified to apply for Thai citizenship with PR on the basis of marriage to a Thai (this has been possible since 2008) but you will also need to show to show that you have been working in Thailand on a salary of at least B40k a month for at least 3 calendar years. You must be currently employed in Thailand at the time of application and will have to maintain your employment for the duration of your application which might take several years. It is OK to change jobs but the changeover must be continuous without a period of unemployment. You also need to be in a yellow tabien baan or house registration book and be able to show contributions to registered Thai charities. Your current level of spoken Thai should be sufficient as no reading and writing ability is required, although there are optional reading and writing tests for a few points. You need to get at least 50 points in the police assessment which covers things like age, salary, educational qualifications, Thai language, knowledge of Thailand, and length of residence as PR. These are probably the main things.

Probably the main thing you need to work on is moving back to Thailand and getting a full time job. The process is quite tedious and time consuming and many people encounter unexpected obstacles that need to be overcome (usually in the form of some document that is not quite in order and needs to be corrected). So you need to be really determined that you want this but, if you are and make the necessary effort, your persistence will be paid off in the end.

For more information see this article that was updated by myself in 2014 http://www.thaivisa.com/acquiring-thai-nationality.html .

Also see attached my translations of pertinent documents (except Nationality Act not my translation).

Guidelines for Application for Naturalization 14 Oct 2009 EN.doc

Documents required 2009 (2).doc

Points Allocation 2010 2 EN.doc

Nationality_Act_Eng_amended_until_2008.pdf

Note that you would apply under Section 10 and Section 11.4 (the waiver from needing PR or knowledge of Thai language) of the Nationality Act.

The waiver from knowledge of Thai language doesn't exempt you from being interviewed in Thai or doing the tests in Thai but it does mean you only do a short interview at the Interior Ministry with your wife, who can help you out, if necessary, as opposed to the longer solo interview for those who don't have a Thai spouse. It also very importantly for tone deaf applicants exempts you from having to sing the National and Royal Anthems.

Getting a house registration in Bangkok is strongly advised as Special Branch at National Police HQ in Bangkok has dedicated staff to process applications. Those resident in the provinces have to apply to their provincial Special Branch offices who have no dedicated staff and may mess up your application or even refuse to process it, because it is too much hassle for them.

• Like 2

Hi Samran,

In your post above you mentioned "No special certificates, oaths, ceremonies".

What special certificates are you referring to?

Also for men, what documents you need to take to amphur along with the documents that you receive from SB to get your name in blue book and I'd cardcard?

Hi Samran,

In your post above you mentioned "No special certificates, oaths, ceremonies".

What special certificates are you referring to?

Also for men, what documents you need to take to amphur along with the documents that you receive from SB to get your name in blue book and I'd cardcard?

Samran described the process for applicants under Section 9, i.e. women adopting Thai hubby's nationality. Applicants for naturalisation under Section 10 (i.e. everyone else) have to take the oath of allegiance at SB office after the King has countersigned the Interior Minister's approval. Neither of these steps are required for Section 9 applicants. Once your name has appeared in the RG after this, you will get a naturalisation certificate from SB for a fee of B1,000. You will make an appointment to take this along to the DO along with the notarised copies of the RG announcement mentioned by Samran. Women with Thai husbands don't get a naturalisation certificate and don't need to make an oath or be approved by HMK because they are assumed to be mere appendages of their Thai husbands without a real persona of their own. BTW I managed to get hold of an original bound but not notarised copy of the edition of the RG with my announcement in it. Those who are naturalised may also obtain a colour photocopy of HMK's letter as a treasured memento, if they talk nicely to their SB case officer, but this is not an official requirement.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. If I read your post above, the documents to take along to district office are naturalization certificate, notarised copies of the RG announcement. What other personal documents to take?

Also do we have to make appointment with district office first or just show up on a working day?

Thanks for the reply. If I read your post above, the documents to take along to district office are naturalization certificate, notarised copies of the RG announcement. What other personal documents to take?

Also do we have to make appointment with district office first or just show up on a working day?

Just to be clear, it isn't a matter of turning up to the DO.

We applied in 2008 at special branch and went through the entire process of checks and interviews before the Minister signed off in the Royal Gazette.

Once you have received citizenship, SB will give you all the documents you need, and like I did, you do down to the DO and ask for a time to come in to process things. They will give you their list.

• Like 1

Same here applied in 2008 and took the oath recently and waiting for the announcement on the Royal Gazette.

Just curious on "They will give you their list." , does anybody in the forum know what this list of documents consists of?

We applied in 2008 at special branch and went through the entire process of checks and interviews before the Minister signed off in the Royal Gazette.

Once you have received citizenship, SB will give you all the documents you need, and like I did, you do down to the DO and ask for a time to come in to process things. They will give you their list.

Same here applied in 2008 and took the oath recently and waiting for the announcement on the Royal Gazette.

Just curious on "They will give you their list." , does anybody in the forum know what this list of documents consists of?

For us it was:

- 4 x 1 inch color photos

- Yellow book

- Blue book

- Citizenship letter

- 2 witnesses. Husband could be the witness if they were also the head of house in blue book. So in reality we just needed one extra person.

- birth certificates of any children

- marriage certificate (translated and certified from OS)

- foriegn passport cover page translated and certified by MFA.

- they also asked for the PR book, but in our case we didn't have one so it wasnt an issue as we came via the Thai husband route.

For the interview you'll need the Thai spellings for your parents and siblings.

For the ID card:

- 2x1 inch colour photos

- real passport (mainly for correct English spelling of name on Thai ID card)

- copies of the 'report' that the ID number issuing people did.

- spouses ID card

Again I could be a witness and they seemed happy with one. Others may want two, so milage might vary.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

Thanks. Good to know the documents required. By the way, the below documents are for the Foreign wife becoming a Thai citizen.

Any idea on what other documents required for Foreign Husband becoming Thai citizen at the District Office for (i) issuing blue book entry (Thai ID number issuance) (ii) ID card

For us it was:

- 4 x 1 inch color photos
- Yellow book
- Blue book
- Citizenship letter
- 2 witnesses. Husband could be the witness if they were also the head of house in blue book. So in reality we just needed one extra person.
- birth certificates of any children
- marriage certificate (translated and certified from OS)
- foriegn passport cover page translated and certified by MFA.

- they also asked for the PR book, but in our case we didn't have one so it wasnt an issue as we came via the Thai husband route.

For the interview you'll need the Thai spellings for your parents and siblings.

For the ID card:

- 2x1 inch colour photos
- real passport (mainly for correct English spelling of name on Thai ID card)
- copies of the 'report' that the ID number issuing people did.
- spouses ID card

Again I could be a witness and they seemed happy with one. Others may want two, so milage might vary.

Just to let people know, wife got her Thai ID card earlier this week. For a woman gaining citizenship via marriage, it is all rather boring.

A letter is issued by Speacial Branch saying you now have Thai citizenship and they attach a copy of the relvant section of the royal gazette. SB notorise each page and that is all the evidence you need. No special certificates, oaths, ceremonies. We felt kind of ripped off actually, but still, it cuts down the wait time!

You take that letter down to your district office, and along with two witnesses, the DO take down all your details plus the names of all your family and they process an ID number. Once the ID number is processed, you are then put in the blue book and then you then take that documentation to the ID card section, along with your citizenship letter, and get an ID card.

Our DO was a bit of a pain on the ID number issuance, and that process took 10 days, obstensibly cause October 1 is when the new 'boss' comes in and he needed time to settle in. The real reason is that we were asked for a gift basket but didn't give one. In true Thai style I smiled, said 'yes, sure I'll get one' and then never followed through. The lady who did ask for it though might be in for a surprise as I reported her to one of the commissioners of the anti-corruption commission who I know. We will see what happens.

The ID card people were great. They checked the documents and the ID card was done in 30 mins. Gratis. I think they normally cost 40 baht.

Yesterday we went down to the passport office and got a passport for my wife. They'll need to see the citizenship letter if this is the first time, as well as the house registry in addition to the ID card. Normally a Thai citizen just needs their ID card and a passport can be processed. They also took a scan of my wifes NZ passport for her Thai passport application.

A small note on that - we also applied for a passport for my daughter at the same time. Though she is onto her third one now there was a bit of an issue.

As my daughters Birth Certificate and house registration said she was born to a NZ mother, my wifes new Thai ID card was ironically not acceptable for the passport people (both parents need to sign off on the application). However my wifes NZ passport was fine. The passport office suggested to simplify things that we get the DO to ammend the house registration entry to show that he mother is now a Thai citizen - or otherwise bring along her NZ passport as that is the only form of ID she can use when guaranteeing she is the mother of our children.

All in all however, as per usual, the passport office were extremely efficient even in light of the discrepencies.

Following that, my wife went over to immigration at Chaeng Wattana to cancel her extension of stay. She got a handwritten notation in her NZ passport saying her entry has been cancelled as she is now a Thai citizen. That place gets worse each time we go. She got there at 10.30am and didn't leave till 5pm.

Still - we never have to go there ever again. Which makes it all worthwhile.

Many congrats mate. You gave such a detailed account of everything which will be quite helpful for other applicants in the same boat.

• Like 1

And don't forget to take your current foreign passport with you when you apply for your Thai passport. They'll need that in order to confirm your "place of birth", which appears on it.

Do you need this every time? Or just the first time? I'm assuming just the once. After that the old Thai passport should suffice?