Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

On 5/23/2017 at 4:58 PM, ThaiCitizen said:

Arkady, as usual, thanks so much for your experience and wise advice.

Firstly, I agree with you about the policeman giving the SB a telling off. I would never actually ask for that.

Thanks for the info. On the MOI. We haven’t contacted them yet.

The latest is that my wife has found a woman in the local Amphur who seems to know what she’s talking about(famous last words!).  She says that the next step is to get an ID card, that matches my ‘tabien baan’ then she’ll check we’re married and live together. After this is done, which is seemingly very easy, she’ll check all the documents and send them to Bangkok Santibaan. So, it seems that the provincial Santibaan have nothing to do with the process. My wife said that some law changed last year but she doesn’t have any link to it.  I’m going to stick with this route for the moment before changing my address to one in Bangkok.

It might make sense if the MoI has asked district offices to do so basic screening of provincial applications prior to sending them to SB Bkk to complete the initial phase including checking with police criminal records (next door to them), the ONCB, the NIA etc and possibly administering the language and other tests in Bkk.  After all the district offices and the MoI nationality section are both part of DOPA and the system of making provincial applicants apply to provincial SB has obviously not worked in about 73 out of 76 provinces.  There has been no change in the law, as there has been no new Nationality Act but DOPA may have issued an internal regulation to district offices.  That would not be on SB's website because it is nothing to do with SB.  

I would still call the MoI to check you are on the right track, since it requires minimal effort and costs only the price of a phone call and could save months of wasted effort.  Even if you are on the right track, they might give you some invaluable advice that the local amphur is not aware of.  Once the application is in, you will probably find you are calling them every few months anyway to check your progress.                

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just perusing the details for applying for Brits resident in Thaialand applying for new passports at the Trendy Building on behalf of an elderly friend who is quite understandably confused about what he has to do.  A couple of things jumped out.  One is that anyone who has another British or foreign passport has to submit a colour copy of every page including blank ones, which you also have to do for the passport being renewed. Since they require proof of residency, they will obviously ask for another passport, if the one submitted for renewal has no visa in it. The second is that the names in the supporting documentation and other passports must all match up.  So it is no longer possible to have two passports in different names and they tell you to change one of your names, if you have two different ones.  Of course some one with more than two nationalities could still pull this off.  This must be relatively new, as I have known at least a couple of Brits who rejoiced in dual identities.   I think it could potentially stuff up a lot of Thai wives with British nationality, who got British passports in their married names but kept their Thai documents in their maiden names, as is now their right under Thai law. They either have to change their names in their Thai documents to their married names, change their British names to their maiden names or not renew their British passports.  The same would obviously apply in reverse to anyone who taken a Thai name.         

Hello

Tomorrow, l have the interview at MoI. Will take all the original documents and copies for safety. Will be attending this interview with my wife and daughter. 

Any suggestions to make it better is highly appreciated.

Is there anyone who will be attending the interview tomorrow send me PM. 

Will share more updates soon. 

1 hour ago, sathuluv said:

Hello

Tomorrow, l have the interview at MoI. Will take all the original documents and copies for safety. Will be attending this interview with my wife and daughter. 

If you are applying on the basis of being married to a Thai, the interview is quite brief and your wife is interviewed with you.   Just be prepared to introduce yourself and explain very briefly when you arrived in Thailand and what you have been doing since.  What jobs, particularly the current job.  What year did you get married.  What year was your daughter born.  Cite the years in Thai in full starting with Phor Sor....  They like to ask questions about your work.  They might ask what you think is your contribution to Thai society but that seems to be more of a PR interview question.  If you get something like that, just answer simply by saying you like to think your are making a contribution by teaching young people, training Thai professionals generating exports (or whatever it is you do for a living) contributing to Thai charities and bringing up your daughter as a good Thai citizen.  If they ask you why you want to be Thai citizen and give up whatever you have now, just say you intend to live the rest of your life in Thailand and you feel that having the citizenship of the country you live in with full rights is more important and useful to you.

They are not trying to catch you out.  You'll be fine.  Best of luck. 

@Arkadythanks for your quick feedback. 

Will prepare notes for the interview translated to Thai just to make sure I use appropriate language. As my conversation with my factory staffs is quite okay(they're used to my pronunciation) ;)

My wife received the call from MoI and a line message of the letter. Dopa or moi website I tried to find out thru my name and interview date no success. Any idea where to get that PDF? Although it's not essential just curious to have them for my records.

10 hours ago, sathuluv said:

Hello

Out of curiosity, when did you submit your documents to Special Branch, and when did you have the last interview at the police station with everyone there? I'm asking because I am trying to estimate how long it will be before I get the call for an interview with MoI. Also, who sent the Line message to your wife? Was it the woman at Special Branch?

Thanks,

SWW

P.S. Congratulations :)

On 5/9/2017 at 3:34 PM, GabbaGabbaHey said:

You have to collect a copy of their ID card and house registration, and each witness has to fill this form

http://www.sb.police.go.th/AA/production/uploads/doc/5_06062553.pdf

They don't have to be there the first time you submit all your documents, because there will be an initial checking for several weeks. As I understood after this they'll be invited with your relatives on the day you sign your application (which they also sign). This is my next step.

Thanks for this document, does this need to be submitted in the first instance?

I wonder if my two Thais are expected to travel all the way to Bangkok?

BTW, I can’t see anything about a medical check, is this required?

Thanks

8 hours ago, SWW said:

Out of curiosity, when did you submit your documents to Special Branch, and when did you have the last interview at the police station with everyone there? I'm asking because I am trying to estimate how long it will be before I get the call for an interview with MoI. Also, who sent the Line message to your wife? Was it the woman at Special Branch?

Thanks,

SWW

P.S. Congratulations :)

Hi SWW

I had submitted to SB early last year and got the call from NIA (@McD) 2 months later. Since, then waiting for the status.
We been following at regular intervals with SB for the status. Since, I submitted the SB officer mentioned my case is straight forward, 3 years continued tax returns, work permit, biological child, legally registered marriage and having good education (masters) with reasonable Thai.

My wife had become friends with 2 police officers in SB and they been very friendly so far. One of the person sent the line message (I guess the lady officer) and the call came from MOI/DOPA.

Will share more after the interview today in DOPA, Lum Luk Ka.

3 hours ago, sathuluv said:

Hi SWW

I had submitted to SB early last year and got the call from NIA (@McD) 2 months later. Since, then waiting for the status.
We been following at regular intervals with SB for the status. Since, I submitted the SB officer mentioned my case is straight forward, 3 years continued tax returns, work permit, biological child, legally registered marriage and having good education (masters) with reasonable Thai.

My wife had become friends with 2 police officers in SB and they been very friendly so far. One of the person sent the line message (I guess the lady officer) and the call came from MOI/DOPA.

Will share more after the interview today in DOPA, Lum Luk Ka.

Sounds like about the same timescale as mine - I submitted mine in December 2015, and had the McD interview early 2016.

I look forward to hearing how the MoI interview goes, as well as what documents they need.

Thanks!

SWW

11 hours ago, ThaiCitizen said:

Thanks for this document, does this need to be submitted in the first instance?

I wonder if my two Thais are expected to travel all the way to Bangkok?

BTW, I can’t see anything about a medical check, is this required?

Thanks

Yes, the witnesses forms are required otherwise your application wouldn't be complete, without you'd probably be in the same state I'm today (still missing a change in one of my documents, consequently I haven't been called to sign my application yet).

I haven't been asked any medical certificate and I don't think it's required as part of the process, at least not during the application.

2 hours ago, ThaiCitizen said:

Could anyone tell me if the bank statement is just a normal 6 month statement or a letter. What details exactly? Thanks

I understand it must be a letter. In my case I went directly to my bank's head office, which has a special counter for certificates, and I clearly mentioned I needed a statement of my current balance for citizenship application purpose, and I requested it to be addressed to SB following Arkady's comments in below posts. I got the letter within 30 minutes.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/121353-story-of-my-thai-citizenship-application/?page=98#comment-11749686

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/121353-story-of-my-thai-citizenship-application/?page=98#comment-11750848

Bank statement has to be a letter confirming your balance on a particular date addressed properly to the correct department at SB Bangkok (or whoever you apply to) or it will be rejected like my first two attempts were.

It is up to the officer whether he or she wants the witnesses to come and interview in person or can sign forms remotely.  You have to talk to them.

No health check is required. That is required for permanent residence and it was probably assumed that everyone applying for citizenship had already obtained PR (except foreign wives who as the privileged possessions of Thai men are not subject to many requirements).   No one has thought about updating this or things like the lack of requirement for foreign police clearance in the like of the fact that many foreign males are now able to apply without PR , so don't remind them.  

4 hours ago, Arkady said:

Bank statement has to be a letter confirming your balance on a particular date addressed properly to the correct department at SB Bangkok (or whoever you apply to) or it will be rejected like my first two attempts were.

of the fact that many foreign males are now able to apply without PR , so don't remind them.  

As I'm applying in the sticks, I guess it will be addressed to the woman at the Amphur. Maybe I'll get 2 letters just in case.

Sounds like about the same timescale as mine - I submitted mine in December 2015, and had the McD interview early 2016.

I look forward to hearing how the MoI interview goes, as well as what documents they need.

Thanks!

SWW

Hi All

Been at Lum Luk La, DOPA/BORA @8:35am. Signed the form to mark the attendance.
1. Thai husband application is group 1. So, they had the Morning session.
2. Thai wife application is group 2. Also they keep the Q as per the serial number on the letter.
3. The co-ordinator lady had given the summary of next steps and timelines. Will will be approval by moi 2-3months, then send to HM King, then oath, then the documents to be collected from SB. Between each process 2-3 months. Again it depends on circumstances.
4. My turn came, entered the room they were reading my profile in Thai to all once it's done they allowed me to enter in.
a) around 15 persons in the meeting room in the desk and 6 of them on the chairs away from desks.
B) one mic provided introduced myself in Thai and then about work. There was a gentleman facing straight to me was administering the session with questions. I was but nervous as this was my 1st experience to speak Thai at this level. Understood the question and mixed thai with English though.
c) general questions like, where did you met, when the wedding happened, which country you would like to live in(of course Thailand), what's the plans for next 5 years. Finally, asked my daughter to speak and she said her name and that was the end of the interview.
Total time approx: 10mins.
They have not asked any documents to check, no national anthem.

Just been myself and replied to their questions in Thai and little English.

Hope I did well. Let's see what's next.

Congratulations mate. My understanding is that if you're not asked to come back on the day then you've passed. I witnessed one single British chap who had failed to sing correctly that was asked to come back, apparently it was his third time. I don't speak very much Thai and I was a nervous wreck at the MOI interview and I spoke English and Thai (probably 80% English) and I passed and I've just recently done the oath. Now relax and wait for your notification of the oath at SB.

Onthemoon there is no official dress code. My lawyer told me to wear a suit and shirt and tie. I've done this for all of my interviews at SB, NIA  and MOI.There were some scruffy types at the MOI interview with flip flops and even tracksuits. I would say the best policy is dress as smartly as you can as appearance counts.

33 minutes ago, Big Guns said:

Onthemoon there is no official dress code. My lawyer told me to wear a suit and shirt and tie. I've done this for all of my interviews at SB, NIA  and MOI.There were some scruffy types at the MOI interview with flip flops and even tracksuits. I would say the best policy is dress as smartly as you can as appearance counts.

Thanks for your advice.

Thanks for the report, sathuluv. What is the dress code at such occasion, open shirt or suit and necktie?

I went with my suit and my wife in jacket too. Indeed, I saw few of them with scandals, black T shirt too. There is no ground rules though.

Congratulations mate. My understanding is that if you're not asked to come back on the day then you've passed. I witnessed one single British chap who had failed to sing correctly that was asked to come back, apparently it was his third time. I don't speak very much Thai and I was a nervous wreck at the MOI interview and I spoke English and Thai (probably 80% English) and I passed and I've just recently done the oath. Now relax and wait for your notification of the oath at SB.
@Big Guns, they've not mentioned to us to come back or asked any documents further. Does that mean it's cleared?
Indeed, I was nervous too. After the interview my wife said in 9 years I never saw you were so nervous 55555. I hope it's all over. @Arkady, I've the yellow book from my friend's house in BKk. Now, he is moving with family to Chiangmai. If, so can I now move the address to my Chechengsao home address? Will that affect the process of oath and also at SB? Or else need to find another friend's home for the yellow book. Advice appreciated.

4 hours ago, sathuluv said:

Hi All

2. Thai wife application is group 2. Also they keep the Q as per the serial number on the letter.
3. The co-ordinator lady had given the summary of next steps and timelines. Will will be approval by moi 2-3months, then send to HM King, then oath, then the documents to be collected from SB. Between each process 2-3 months. Again it depends on circumstances.
4. My turn came, entered the room they were reading my profile in Thai to all once it's done they allowed me to enter in.
a) around 15 persons in the meeting room in the desk and 6 of them on the chairs away from desks.
B) one mic provided introduced myself in Thai and then about work. There was a gentleman facing straight to me was administering the session with questions. I was but nervous as this was my 1st experience to speak Thai at this level. Understood the question and mixed thai with English though.
c) general questions like, where did you met, when the wedding happened, which country you would like to live in(of course Thailand), what's the plans for next 5 years. Finally, asked my daughter to speak and she said her name and that was the end of the interview.

Wow nice and quick! Good luck, and I wish you all the best in the rest of the process.

Best regards,

SWW

3 hours ago, onthemoon said:

Thanks for the report, sathuluv. What is the dress code at such occasion, open shirt or suit and necktie?

The letter I received inviting me for interview told me to wear a suit which I did. But most male applicants showed up quite scruffily dressed in polo shirts and one guy wore jeans.  One of the Thai wives (of a British guy) wore a strange see-through outfit, as if she had taken time off from a job in a cocktail lounge.  I only saw one other guy wearing a suit, a Taiwanese.  The MOI doesn't seem to object to casual dress but since we all know how important superficial appearances are in Thai culture, it seems crazy not to make an effort to show respect to the senior civil servants on the interview panel by wearing a suit for the big occasion.  It costs nothing, assuming you already have at least one suit in your wardrobe.   

4 hours ago, sathuluv said:

Hi All

Well done.  I am sure you will be fine.  You will not be the first person that threw a little English in with their answers and anyway the requirement for knowledge of the Thai language only applies to those applying on the basis of PR only which is why they have to sing - imagine how nerve wracking that would be.

It is good to hear that they are now telling applicants that the minister will sign within 2-3 months.  In my day that step was always the big black hole and they used to just say "no time limit" for the minister's signature.  

I too wore a suit to the interview. The interview was held on 30 January 2015  and I finally got my ID card on 2 March the following year. I too noticed a number of carelessly dressed applicants. I would have thought the interview exceedingly important to most applicants and that some effort be put in to presenting yourself in the best light - obviously others do not think like I do. 

I had already been interviewed before so that was my second time before the committee (most of the members were the same) and I did 99 percent of the talking leaving very little room for  any of the committee members to get a word in edge-ways - I don't recall my son answering any questions either. I wouldn't recommend others do that but my case was not normal and I needed to get my case across. Simply answering questions is probably best.  I think sathuluv will be fine and should not have anything to worry about.  

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

The interview was held on 30 January 2015  and I finally got my ID card on 2 March the following year.

I wore a suit and necktie. At that time a deep dark blue one. If I had to do it now, I would wear black. My interview, and that of some other members, was held on 6 November 2013. The publication in the Royal Gazette of me and some other members was on 28 January 2016. The naturalisation papers could be picked up around half February 2016. I obtained my Thai ID in March 2016. While GarryP had to wait only 1 year, several of us had to wait for a bit more than 2 years.

Actually, in Thai culture one can overdress, I'd suggest nothing fancy or too formal, which could make the interviewers feel 'less than'. Smart but casual would the best.  Shirt and tie, but certainly not your RBSC tie or an Armani suit. They love to feel superior and in control.

Archived