Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

After getting all my documents together, degrees translated, letters from kids's schools, new character references from Thais living in Bangkok, an extra 2 years of tax receipts, the SB told me that only my wife or I need to take the docs to Bangkok then if everything is in order, we have t make an appointment with the boss and go back down together. 

Edited by MrPatrickThai

13 hours ago, Arkady said:

I am sure that, if I had not gone to visit the MoI that day, my application would have been rejected.  

Hi, thanks for sharing your story.

I think that my documents were/are OK, as far as I was already called to the MOI interview. The longest time (~6yrs) was spent on awaiting for the interview itself - yes, with an endless calls to MOI just to be told that "you are in the queue, please call back in 1-2 months". Then they accidentally called to my mobile on Friday, asking me and my missys to come on early Monday morning. Then it was almost a day spent @MOI among hordes of Chinese and stateless persons etc, then a 15-min interview with arouns 20 govt people asking me this and that. When they finished - the interview's leader (minister?) give me a short speech, saying that he voted positive on my person and thus I am passed this step. It was on early days of February this year.

And then it is now >6 months without any noticeable movements. This is where I am now. Did a few calls to MOI in the meantime, all I got is the answer "The minister is signing your application, please wait and call back in next 1-2 months". It is just round and round chicken run....

40 minutes ago, thunder18 said:

I think that my documents were/are OK, as far as I was already called to the MOI interview. The longest time (~6yrs) was spent on awaiting for the interview itself - yes, with an endless calls to MOI just to be told that "you are in the queue, please call back in 1-2 months". Then they accidentally called to my mobile on Friday, asking me and my missys to come on early Monday morning. Then it was almost a day spent @MOI among hordes of Chinese and stateless persons etc, then a 15-min interview with arouns 20 govt people asking me this and that. When they finished - the interview's leader (minister?) give me a short speech, saying that he voted positive on my person and thus I am passed this step. It was on early days of February this year.

And then it is now >6 months without any noticeable movements. This is where I am now. Did a few calls to MOI in the meantime, all I got is the answer "The minister is signing your application, please wait and call back in next 1-2 months". It is just round and round chicken run....

I was interviewed by MOI in late January 2015 and was called in to take the oath in mid October of the same year. So in the scheme of things you are still within the window. You had the MOI interview in February 2017 and it is only September. I would not start panicking yet. You should hear something in the next couple of months. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thunder18 said:

So you should be back on track then and no need to visit the MoI again at this stage.  Something must gone wrong before your interview - file mislaid or who knows what?   But it seems that the MoI fixed the problem themselves eventually and called you in for interview.   

56 minutes ago, Arkady said:

it seems that the MoI fixed the problem themselves

During the years and numerous calls to MOI they did not mention about any of the problem with any single document. All the documents as SB submitted them, and I only have a copy of that SB's letter. MOI never asked me for any single extra page. As for me it was just an incredibly slow process @their end that taking them years to process not a big number of applicants (lets say so, as even Immigration processing much more paxes per day)...but yeah, only God knows for sure. They never reveal any details. TIT.

During the years and numerous calls to MOI they did not mention about any of the problem with any single document. All the documents as SB submitted them, and I only have a copy of that SB's letter. MOI never asked me for any single extra page. As for me it was just an incredibly slow process @their end that taking them years to process not a big number of applicants (lets say so, as even Immigration processing much more paxes per day)...but yeah, only God knows for sure. They never reveal any details. TIT.

Hang in the - not long now

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Big Guns said:

Woo hoo my name has just been announced in the Royal Gazette. I'm now Thai - British. The next little wait will be for my Thai ID. It's taken 3 years and 1 month.

Congrats.

The time taken was very reasonable, compared to the past, and is a good example of improvements made to the process by the current government.

1 hour ago, Big Guns said:

Do I still have to do 90 day reporting until I get my ID card? It's not a massive hassle as my employer does it, just wondering.

As Newly Minted Thai says, I think you can ignore this now, since you can show a copy of the RG announcement notarised by SB to prove you are Thai, if you get any hassle from Immigration.  

You do, however need to go to immigration with your new documents to return/cancel your PR documents (if you are PR) and have them update your status in their system. It will be the last time you will ever have to set foot in that place...and it will feel fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

20 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

May I ask if this is from the first visit to SB or from the day you signed the application at SB? (I spent nearly 5 months between both)

I first got the ball rolling by talking to my lawyer in August 2014. I first wanted to apply for PR but she told me I was eligible for citizenship. I think my first visit to SB was September 2014.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Big Guns said:

I first got the ball rolling by talking to my lawyer in August 2014. I first wanted to apply for PR but she told me I was eligible for citizenship. I think my first visit to SB was September 2014.

One more question, may I ask how long it took from the moment you signed the application at SB to the interview at MOI?

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey
typo

2 hours ago, Big Guns said:

Perfect timing right after the coup!

Anyone knows the difference between the letter of intention in the requirements (I prepared it with translation and legalization, before my first visit to SB) and the letter for your embassy that seems to ask for the same (in the set of letters from SB, after the application has been signed)? I'm worried my first document can be used or not -it seems outdated compared to my application date- and if this could be an issue in the subsequent process. Anyone had the same experience? Or do I misunderstand anything?

7 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Anyone knows the difference between the letter of intention in the requirements (I prepared it with translation and legalization, before my first visit to SB) and the letter for your embassy that seems to ask for the same (in the set of letters from SB, after the application has been signed)? I'm worried my first document can be used or not -it seems outdated compared to my application date- and if this could be an issue in the subsequent process. Anyone had the same experience? Or do I misunderstand anything?

I am not sure what they are now sending to embassies but I think in my case, they sent a lengthy explanation of the process in Thai which obviously no embassy official would have the time to even look at.   If your application has already been accepted by SB with the first declaration, there should be no need to do it again.  If you have not yet finalised your application, your declaration should be OK if it is not more than two or three months old.  In this case, you will have to ask SB.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Arkady said:

I am not sure what they are now sending to embassies but I think in my case, they sent a lengthy explanation of the process in Thai which obviously no embassy official would have the time to even look at.   If your application has already been accepted by SB with the first declaration, there should be no need to do it again.  If you have not yet finalised your application, your declaration should be OK if it is not more than two or three months old.  In this case, you will have to ask SB.

Thanks Arkady. I' mot sure what is a finalized application and when this happens, because the set of letters (after I signed my application) seems to add new requirements -like the certificate of blank criminal record-, I just wonder why this is not simply part of the original requirements - but I'm fine with the global process. Just in my case the letter of intention is dated March this year, and this means almost 6 months old. I will check with SB what to do with it.

1 hour ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Thanks Arkady. I' mot sure what is a finalized application and when this happens, because the set of letters (after I signed my application) seems to add new requirements -like the certificate of blank criminal record-, I just wonder why this is not simply part of the original requirements - but I'm fine with the global process. Just in my case the letter of intention is dated March this year, and this means almost 6 months old. I will check with SB what to do with it.

What I meant was the day you go to the SB office and sign your name in Thai a few times and finger printed.  Normally you have already submitted all documents by then and SB has approved them.  After that they send your file around to various departments like criminal records and narcotics for vetting and you  get the NIA interview.  When that is all done, SB packs up your file and sends it to the MOI with a covering letter for consideration.

2 hours ago, Arkady said:

What I meant was the day you go to the SB office and sign your name in Thai a few times and finger printed.  Normally you have already submitted all documents by then and SB has approved them.  After that they send your file around to various departments like criminal records and narcotics for vetting and you  get the NIA interview.  When that is all done, SB packs up your file and sends it to the MOI with a covering letter for consideration.

Thanks. However I'd be curious to know if others have faced the same situation when they provided a letter of intention at early stage and later got a letter to their embassy asking for the same. Anyone?

BTW I got no letter regarding the WP/Labour Ministry, mine are to immigration (blue book and red book), district office (marriage and choose a name) and my embassy (blank criminal record, certifying passport and letter of intention).

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey
missed content

On 13 Сентябрь 2017 г. at 10:33 AM, Big Guns said:

Woo hoo my name has just been announced in the Royal Gazette. I'm now Thai - British. The next little wait will be for my Thai ID. It's taken 3 years and 1 month.

Congrats. My name is not there yet, and it is almost 7 years in process.....

• Sad 1