Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Hi everyone. So far I had the language test at SB and the knowledge test (upstairs). Next is my appointment with NIA which is already scheduled. Can someone confirm how many more interviews there will be in the process before MOI's big final panel interview? Is BOPA/DORA interview the MOI interview?

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It think it has to be with your application. Shown here on the list of requirements.

No, they never asked for this. I'm sending the remaining documents by post today. They were 2"x 2" photos of my wife and kids. Translation of a letter from a charity I donated to, new letter from my bank and work. 

2 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

No, they never asked for this. I'm sending the remaining documents by post today. They were 2"x 2" photos of my wife and kids. Translation of a letter from a charity I donated to, new letter from my bank and work. 

Probably because it's part of the set of letters that you'll get after signing the application (in my case two of them were addressed to my embassy, asking for the certification of my passport, my blank criminal record and the letter of intention).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Hi everyone. So far I had the language test at SB and the knowledge test (upstairs). Next is my appointment with NIA which is already scheduled. Can someone confirm how many more interviews there will be in the process before MOI's big final panel interview? Is BOPA/DORA interview the MOI interview?

All going well you should just have the panel interview to go.  It is organised by the Minorities and Nationality Section which is a part of the Bureau of Registration Administration (BORA) which is a part of the Department of Provincial Administration (DOPA) which is a part of the Ministry of the Interior (MOI).  So they are all one and the same. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arkady said:

All going well you should just have the panel interview to go.  It is organised by the Minorities and Nationality Section which is a part of the Bureau of Registration Administration (BORA) which is a part of the Department of Provincial Administration (DOPA) which is a part of the Ministry of the Interior (MOI).  So they are all one and the same. 

I'm glad to hear that, thank you Arkady! And did you hear what's the current average time between NIA interview and MOI interview regarding recent applicants?

Out of curiosity, at which step is it be possible to change job and company (let's assume with WP continuity) without having to inform SB or have to provide copies of the new WP? is it only after the MOI interview or after SB has sent the application and the cover letter to MOI?

7 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Out of curiosity, at which step is it be possible to change job and company (let's assume with WP continuity) without having to inform SB or have to provide copies of the new WP? is it only after the MOI interview or after SB has sent the application and the cover letter to MOI?

As far as I am aware the answer to this question would be after SB has sent the application and cover letter to the MOI.  I don't think there would be any need to update SB in this case but the MOI might routinely check your WP just before you go for interview, as they did mine.  If you have changed job with WP continuity since you applied, there should not be a problem.  But better check with SB, if you are planning a job move, in case things have changed.

On 13/09/2017 at 10:35 AM, NewlyMintedThai said:

You must be one of the 100+ announced yesterday. Congratulations, and well done!

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2560/E/223/14.PDF

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The percentage of Chinese applicants (or perhaps more correctly I should say applicants with Chinese names) is astonishing. Looks like 80-90%. Although it's heartening to see that Muhammed Ali also snuck in there.

I keep thinking about applying for nationality. Applied for PR in 2008 and got that in 2012. In fact, while my PR application was meandering along, Immigration actually suggested to me that I should change tack and just apply for nationality. It's only the renouncing of citizenship that concerns me, particularly now that there's ever more computerisation of records. The UK's not the problem: it's if an immigration officer spots that you're leaving for a country for which you'd need a visa, as a Thai, yet don't have one. Since Caucasian dudes with a Thai passport are still - and likely will be for many years to come - a rare sight at the airport, greater scrutiny might be expected. Sure, the e-gate system usually removes that scrutiny, but it would be the rare occasion when the system is down and your passport gets processed manually that would worry me. Doubtless nothing would happen but if it did ... as we all know, the wheels of Thai bureaucracy turn slowly, but that's not to say that they don't turn. I suspect at the moment that the unofficial policy is 'turn a blind eye' as far as dual nationality is concerned.  

Is there anything special to know about the NIA interview (duration, topics covered, how this is run) or things one should review to better prepare for it?  I know I have to bring my original documents and attend with my wife, but that's all I know. Any guidance will be welcome.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You only have to do a statement that you intend to renounce your citizenship. You don't actually have to do it.

I'm sure you're right and that I'm suffering from "farangyouthinktoomuch-itis" ... However, I've been reading some of the informative TV threads on the whole subject of dual nationality (and thanks to you and Arkady in particular for the many informative posts - this being a good thread https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/883404-is-dual-citizenship-in-thailand-allowed) 

I also did a bit of quick searching in Thai and came across aJuly 2014 Q&A post on the web board of the Office of International Peoples’ Rights Protection at the Office of the Attorney General (there's a mouthful - let's say OIPRP), in which a Thai bloke marrying a Lao woman asked about dual nationality and mentioned that he’d heard the law was going to change and wouldn’t allow for Thais to hold two nationalities. I’ve cut out the bits about the marriage and the basic gist of what’s left is the OIPRP stated that, as long as the foreign country doesn’t prohibit two nationalities, it is permissible for a Thai to acquire a second nationality and keep the Thai one too.

http://www.humanrights.ago.go.th/forum/index.php?topic=6735.0

However, I also see that the Nationality Act BE2508, referenced by OIPRP, also specifically grants the Minister of Interior power to revoke the Thai nationality of anyone who acquires Thai nationality by naturalisation if it appears that “there is evidence to show that he still makes use of his former nationality” – see Article 19 (2).

Thai original here: https://mis.dopa.go.th/dopalaw/law_file/603_030320171110929758.03.pdf

Translation: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwNib_gx9zYEaFRnOVpERmYzMTg/view

So I guess that it all still comes back down to a) not getting caught using two passports and/or B) relying upon how a particular official feels if you do get caught?

36 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Is there anything special to know about the NIA interview (duration, topics covered, how this is run) or things one should review to better prepare for it?  I know I have to bring my original documents and attend with my wife, but that's all I know. Any guidance will be welcome.

Prepare to introduce yourself and cover how long you have been in Thailand, what you do for a living and why you want to be a Thai national. Remember that your wife can translate for you and you don't really have to be able to speak very much Thai. Dress smartly and remember that if you create a positive impression you can't really fail. Be prepared for what at first sight is quite an intimidating setting with you and your partner facing a 'u shaped' table setting of about 20 or so officials with microphones asking you questions. The duration of mine was only 5 or 10 minutes and if I knew what I have just written then I would have been a lot calmer.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

So I guess that it all still comes back down to a) not getting caught using two passports and/or B) relying upon how a particular official feels if you do get caught?

This has been discussed heavily in the whole thread. I also added questions to which the experimented members have answered on each points. I think you should read the past posts especially if you're interested in applying, you'll already have most of the answers.

1 hour ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

My interview mainly comprised of verifying information already submitted.  Expect questions about your job, your family, your house or apartment & etc.  I got quizzed about the ownership of my house and date of acquisition but no request to see chanote or other documents.  It seemed that this line of questioning was directed at verifying the validity of my relationship with Mrs Arkady, who by then had taken over ownership of the house from my company.  In fact it made no difference to my application whether I was married or not because I applied on the basis of PR but, if they are provided with information, they want to check it.  

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

What is the best answer to this q. do u remember what u said?

Obviously this is going to be a very personal answer. I mentioned the things I love such as my wife, my job, the environment I live in, food, friendly people etc.

32 minutes ago, Big Guns said:

Prepare to introduce yourself and cover how long you have been in Thailand, what you do for a living and why you want to be a Thai national. Remember that your wife can translate for you and you don't really have to be able to speak very much Thai. Dress smartly and remember that if you create a positive impression you can't really fail. Be prepared for what at first sight is quite an intimidating setting with you and your partner facing a 'u shaped' table setting of about 20 or so officials with microphones asking you questions. The duration of mine was only 5 or 10 minutes and if I knew what I have just written then I would have been a lot calmer.

That is correct for the MOI interview but he asked about the NIA interview which in recent years has taken place quite informally at McDonalds, Ratchprasong.  The NIA officers very decently hold the interviews there because it is easy to get to on public transport, while their own office is in an inconvenient location for most people.  They have no budget to entertain applicants at a finer venue.  They previously used McD's Victory Monument branch which is easier for their office but decided Ratchprasong would be better for most applicants.  Before that they actually used to show up unannounced at your home and/or office but I was told they no longer have the resources assigned for that level of scrutiny.    

4 minutes ago, Big Guns said:

Obviously this is going to be a very personal answer. I mentioned the things I love such as my wife, my job, the environment I live in, food, friendly people etc.

Mentioning your wife and family is particularly relevant, if you have a Thai wife and apply on the basis of marriage. Of course, there are many ways to skin a cat but, if you go back through this thread you will see that applicants have been briefed by SB in the past to say that, since they have decided to spend the rest of their live in Thailand, they would like to enjoy full rights of Thai citizens.  Now the the constitution specifies obligations of Thai citizens, it would be cool to mention that you are willing to accept these too but better find out what they are first.  The answer to the Q about renunciation of citizenship, if it comes up, is pretty much the same, i.e. since you have decided to spend the rest of your life here, it is more useful to have the citizenship of the country you live in and enjoy full rights etc.

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

That is correct for the MOI interview but he asked about the NIA interview which in recent years has taken place quite informally at McDonalds, Ratchprasong.  The NIA officers very decently hold the interviews there because it is easy to get to on public transport, while their own office is in an inconvenient location for most people.  

The location I got is at (or close to?) the Ministry of Education, which is on Ratchadamnoen Nok road. I can see on NIA website that their head office is in that area too. I have to double check.

3 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

The location I got is at (or close to?) the Ministry of Education, which is on Ratchadamnoen Nok road. I can see on NIA website that their head office is in that area too. I have to double check.

Pity but there is really no reason why they should not expect applicants to go to their office. 

The interview I had a McD's Ratchprasong branch was quite surreal because the red shirts were occupying Ratchprasong and McD's seemed to be the resting place for well heeled, fashionable red shirts with designer jeans, Cartier watches and iPads.  The BTS was the only way in and out and there wasn't much other reason to be there.   

6 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

The percentage of Chinese applicants (or perhaps more correctly I should say applicants with Chinese names) is astonishing. Looks like 80-90%. Although it's heartening to see that Muhammed Ali also snuck in there.

I keep thinking about applying for nationality. Applied for PR in 2008 and got that in 2012. In fact, while my PR application was meandering along, Immigration actually suggested to me that I should change tack and just apply for nationality. It's only the renouncing of citizenship that concerns me, particularly now that there's ever more computerisation of records. The UK's not the problem: it's if an immigration officer spots that you're leaving for a country for which you'd need a visa, as a Thai, yet don't have one. Since Caucasian dudes with a Thai passport are still - and likely will be for many years to come - a rare sight at the airport, greater scrutiny might be expected. Sure, the e-gate system usually removes that scrutiny, but it would be the rare occasion when the system is down and your passport gets processed manually that would worry me. Doubtless nothing would happen but if it did ... as we all know, the wheels of Thai bureaucracy turn slowly, but that's not to say that they don't turn. I suspect at the moment that the unofficial policy is 'turn a blind eye' as far as dual nationality is concerned.  

The system does go down and this happened to me on the way to the UK.  The officer just stamped my passport without looking through it, smiled and wished me a pleasant trip. Meanwhile, Mrs Arkady, who is Thai only and elected to go through the priority channel for business class travellers which has no electronic gates , was receiving the third degree from a female officer, who was combing through her passport and demanding to know the reason for her trip, whom she was travelling with (I was nowhere to be seen) and other details that were none of the officer's g'damned business.  There is no guarantee you would not encounter a hostile officer like Mrs A did but it is wise to eschew the manual priority channel and chose the electronic gates, if they are working.  I have also encountered the situation a few times that the shoddy finger print recognition system (someone must have cleaned up on this project) installed at the e-gates doesn't recognise my prints and been forced to go through a manual gate but only en route to an ASEAN country or coming back from somewhere, when they never look for visas.  

9 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

It's great to see that the "Greatest" is also on the latest list.  Most of the Chinese names are mainland Chinese but there are also quite a few Taiwanese applicants.  They have an advantage in that their government is supportive of dual nationality of Taiwanese from birth (witness the huge community of them in the US) but strictly forces applicants for naturalisation to renounce citizenship in advance, resulting in a lot of stateless Vietnamese and  Chinese wives who get divorced by their husbands before their Taiwanese citizenship comes through. There may be some Singaporeans and Malaysians with Chinese names too but most of those are reluctant to give up their existing nationalities which is unavoidable for them. 

Farangs with Thai passports no longer seem to excite much interest from Immigration officers these days.  

First of all, thank you very much for your extensive posts in regards to dual nationality, Arkady.

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

They like to demand to see the other passport, if you are exiting without a visa and give you a lecture based on their own ignorant understanding of the Nationality Act or try to force those with blank Thai passports to enter on foreign passports with transit visas.

And in this hides a huge danger as Section 19, article 2 of Nationality Act 2508 and amendments say the following.

Section 19. The Minister is empowered to revoke Thai nationality of a person who acquires Thai nationality by naturalization if it appears that:

(1) The naturalization was effected by concealment of facts or making any statement false in material particular;
(2) There is evidence to show that he still makes use of his former nationality;
(3) He commits any act prejudicial to the security or conflicting the interests of the State, or amounting to an insult to the nation;
(4) He commits any act contrary to public order or good morals;
(5) He has resided abroad without having a domicile in Thailand for more than five years;
(6) He still retains the nationality of the country at war with Thailand.

The revocation of Thai nationality under this Section may extend to children of a person whose Thai nationality is revoked, in case such children are not sui juris and acquire Thai nationality under Section 12 paragraph two. The Minister shall, after the order for revocation of Thai nationality has been given, submit the matter to the King.

What's your take on this, Arkady? When travelling to the home country use the Thai passport with a home country visa or use the visa-less Thai passport and having the home country passport in your bag? Other members frequently reported doing the latter, though. However, I really don't know what's best.

Edited by aidenai

When going abroad, it is the airlines duty to check that you have the correct papers to enter the destination country, whether that be a passport of that country or a visa. On top of that, it is my understanding that most embassies will not issue visas to their own nationals, even if they carry a passport of another country. As such, I have no option but to carry both passports when traveling  to my home country. I present both to the the airline check-in to show that I will be admitted to my home country. That passport then goes into my bag and I only show my Thai passport to Immigration.  I don't travel as often as others but so far I have not had any problems. 

On entering my home country, I use my passport for that country.   

• Thanks 1