I still don't think the sky is falling ......but

starky

1 hour ago, starky said:

So the latest big "outbreak" in Brisbane was supposed to be the super contagious UK variant 4 of the cases were found to be historical so they were covid free by the time they were discovered so had been running around Brisbane with over 3 weeks with the virus and how many did they infect? Dozens of hotspots all over Queensland and Northern new south Wales. Less than 100 with no hospilastions and zero deaths Sound super contagious to you?

Guess you missed the death last week in OZ.

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

I just showed you thousands who were suffering from the effects of long covid. Didn't you see that?  This virus is only been around 18 months or so. Do a Google search. You might be surprised.

Thousands out of millions is not 30%

• Thanks 2

On 4/16/2021 at 10:35 AM, Surelynot said:

I wonder how people would have reacted if this disease had the inverse effect of killing a high proportion of children rather than old folk?

Maybe Thailand would have the same outlook as it does with teen road deaths?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

While government data from Brazil suggest that over 800 children under age 9 have died of Covid-19, an expert estimates that the death toll is nearly three times higher.

Many "depends" on that. Do we know if it is killing rich kids as much as those from the slums, and were they killed by corona or by some underlying problem and merely assigned a corona caused death, as seems to be happening a lot? According to some, deaths caused by flu have seemingly ceased, which has to be a nonsense, IMO, but easy to say someone that died of flu died of corona instead.

Also, what was the death rate for kids in Brazil before corona? Can't just make a blanket statement that they died of corona without looking at all the contributing factors.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Each to his own I guess......I'm loving lockdown........bars empty.....no tourists......not fair on the Thai people for sure.

We had been traveling all over Thailand enjoying our mini vacations from BKK until this current wave started.  After returning to BKK just a little over a week ago we isolated ourselves as BKK started to have increasing numbers as well as Chiang Mai where we had returned from.  We have only left the humble abode to hit up Makro and restock the pantry and Freezer.  However, this morning we actually ventured over to Lumpini Park to see how busy it was, and was surprised to see it fairly packed with people of all ages just like it was prior to Songkran.  Makes me believe people are thinking and believing that the Government has a handle on this thing.  I hope for the best but always plan for the what if's.  Stay safe folks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

They have had the ability to train people to work on the ICU for more then a year and they can have more ICU beds for sure if they free money for this . But what the people in charge of these programs say is that they don't want to do this because when they get a handle of the situation all this extra staff(will be bored after this ) and all the extra beds on ICU will be empty and useless . ???????????? how the ..... couldn't they have started with trainig people already a year ago since it takes a year to train them so could have finished there training already and so now all those (heroes) medical staff that are now over worked could have some relieve . They are all saying that this will not be the last pandemic that is hitting the world all over so why not upscale ?? Maybe the beds will be unused and the staff trained for this will have to be doing other jobs in the medical branche ( but you can never have to many people working in this branche) but then when a new pamdemic hits there will be enough beds and staff to handle it . 

You are assuming that there are a lot of spare nurses with nothing to do except train as ICU nurses, and that they would actually want to. It's not an easy course to pass. If you didn't know, there is a world wide shortage of qualified nurses anyway.

Soooo, if hundreds of registered nurses do the ICU course, who is looking after all the patients that are on the wards?

No idea what you mean by "medical branche" and I never heard of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Antonymous said:

'm sorry that I didn't explain fully who the CDC are. I thought that it was common knowledge.

Thanks.  This probably is common knowledge, so next time I shall consult a commoner.????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PGSan said:

Was there a movie I missed?  Or how did you show this?

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/06/health/covid-neurological-psychological-lancet-wellness/index.html

As many as one in three people infected with Covid-19 have longer term mental health or neurological symptoms, researchers reported Tuesday.

They found 34% of Covid-19 survivors received a diagnosis for a neurological or psychological condition within six months of their infection, according to the study published Tuesday in the journal Lancet Psychiatry.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Come on.  That's a conspiracy theory saying if you die you are automatically assigned a corona caused death.  NOT happening a lot.  And mainly said by covid deniers.  That article quotes experts.  For now, I'll accept what they say.  They know more about this than you or I.

If you want to know this information, do the research!  And come back here and let us know what you've found out.  Credible sources only, please.

and you know that because?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/how-are-covid-19-deaths-counted-it-s-complicated

An elderly man arrived at Atlanta’s Emory University Hospital Midtown last month so stricken with advanced cancer that it could take his life within months — but that’s not what brought him to the emergency room.

The man had contracted COVID-19 and was struggling to breathe, recalls Sara Auld, MD, a critical care physician at the hospital. He was admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) and intubated. “Given his already fragile state, his condition quickly took a turn for the worse” and he died, she recalls.

Was his death caused by COVID-19?

Yes, Auld says: “While he was very weak and frail from his underlying cancer, his death was undoubtedly accelerated and precipitated by COVID-19.”

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Obviously your opinion of experts differs substantially from mine.

read my posts.  You can put yours up showing different opinions.  I'll read them for sure.  Credible links only.  Or they will be removed, as you know.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'll pass. Basically I have my opinions and I'm sticking with them. I've met enough "experts" to not believe everything they say.

Sad times when people think like this.  I'm guessing your opinions were formed from dodgy websites denying the severity of this virus.  This is one of the biggest problems we have today.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You are assuming that there are a lot of spare nurses with nothing to do except train as ICU nurses, and that they would actually want to. It's not an easy course to pass. If you didn't know, there is a world wide shortage of qualified nurses anyway.

Soooo, if hundreds of registered nurses do the ICU course, who is looking after all the patients that are on the wards?

No idea what you mean by "medical branche" and I never heard of it.

Maybe there aren't enough because before they didn't have the chance to get a job but since covid started there are a lot more oppertunities , and i think there are enough studying for this but where at home because of schools closed, so could have been trained and now ready to work ?? And about the medical branche , maybe my english is not so good because it's not my language but i think you know axactly what i mean and just trying to be a smart... . Maybe it's an idea for you to train for the ICU jobs . 

On 4/16/2021 at 10:42 AM, starky said:

Well fortunately it's not and I am not going to play what if? Also it's not killing a "high" proportion of people,

So, you went from "it's relatively harmless" (translation: "I didn't get it/it was mild and the same goes for most people I know") to "it's not killing a "high" proportion of people".

Already a contradiction in itself as something that's harmless by definition never kills anyone or we wouldn't call it it literally "causing no harm".

Also, literally nobody's saying the vaccines a silver bullet but the alternative - doing nothing, from what most Covid-deniers are saying - or, putting high-risk groups into lockdown for the foreseeable future - just isn't feasible.

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

However, this morning we actually ventured over to Lumpini Park to see how busy it was, and was surprised to see it fairly packed with people of all ages just like it was prior to Songkran.  Makes me believe people are thinking and believing that the Government has a handle on this thing. 

Or they're looking at the projected vaccine rollout and deciding they want to get on with their lives before another 12 months rolls by.  Between the slow rollout, new variants and now, breakthrough cases (after vaccination), some people have decided there's more to life than being locked down and in fear of a disease that, at 3 million deaths worldwide has killed about 0.04% of the world population.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

this is kinda scary.  Over 2,000 people in the various hospitals in Chiang Mai.

What's scary about that?  They're sending asymptomatic people to the hospital for a quarantine. 

The scarier thought is how many people have it and can spread it, but won't get tested because they don't want to spend a few weeks locked up in a bed, even if they're asymptomatic. 

Here, people who tested positive knew they should stay home and avoid the public for a couple of weeks.  Those who never got tested were the real spreaders, oblivious to the fact they even had it.